Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Boris wrote:
Yep - looking at webcams they seem to be building at least one run down to Vallandry and Peisey!

That will be in order to get the VE connection up and running. No doubt they will be doing the same on the other side no doubt.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Layne, guessed that was probably the case - good news for me though as if snow is thin on ground we can pop over to other side for glacier etc as well has heading to Arc Bowl

But still 4-weeks to go so it will be fine

Does snow dance
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Boris, It will be waist deep powder by then, Have faith Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like some warm temperatures ahead. Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wills_h wrote:
Looks like some warm temperatures ahead. Sad

Nothing on the horizon for sure. But please snow gods just give us one blast of the white stuff before the 17th. You will make an old man very happy!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne, I'll be happy with something by the 24th but I'll keep dancing for the 17th for you!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My season 2016 - 17 begins at last. (Well a day in Espace Killy is better than nothing.)
Had my first day on the snow at last. Managed a quick trip up to Tignes and a long circular'ish route taking in most what was open in Espace Killy all the way across to Fornet Glacier above Val d'Isere and back. There is plenty of snow above 2000m so all is not lost.
We even managed some long off piste runs with room to put down our own tracks in soft light snow on a blue bird day. Always good to start the season with fresh tracks. A few photos here!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1190920787651052

Anyone going to the PSB will have fun!

I also had a sneaky look at the pistes in Les Arcs and they all seem in quite good condition above 2000m, Better than at the start of last season. They are trying to build one piste down to Arc 1800 and one to Peisey and Vallandry where they have the snow canons. There is talk of another piste linking Arc 1600 and Arc 1800. Guess it all depends if it stays cold enough to keep the snow canons blasting. Hope it works.

For those coming out to Les Arcs on 10 December or even for Christmas and New Year weeks. Above 2000m the snow is good and the depth is enough right now to not damage your skis or snowboard unless you are unlucky.

So fingers crossed it stays cold and maybe even a little snow before the resort opens. Hope this helps with your planning!

(I will post some photos of Les Arcs nearer to the opening day. Take a look at the Webcams and follow the progress as they build more pistes.)

PS. You can ski down to Arc 2000 and Arc 1950!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

So fingers crossed it stays cold and maybe even a little snow before the resort opens.

3-weeks till we're there so snow dancing like crazy here! Looking at the webcams there is obviously plenty of snow and certainly looks better than Easter 2011!!! So sure we'll have good time but some more snow would be nice
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Boris, Still early yet mate. Plenty of time Madeye-Smiley Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowcrazy, me and the daughter arrive on the 15th for a long weekend: skiing onto 19th. Staying in Bourg rather than 1950 (although do need to get/return our skis first and last days!), so we can nip to Tignes / 3V / LP, Ros, St Foy, as required: basically chase the snow...

Are you likely to be around?

PS I see there's an Arcs owners' ski day on 19th, lunching in LP: so guess they intend to have the Handbag open.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi @Arctic Roll, yes am around if you fancy meeting for a beer on friday or saturday evening or a ski. I am also planning to move around to get good snow. Basically only Arc 2000 bowl open first week. With a few connecting pistes they hope. VE opens on sunday 18 dec i think.
Hope to see you shortly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheeky look on the cams this morning and see the piste bashers are out pushing the mounds of snow around to make the pistes around 1800. Need the temps to drop!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LES ARCS Opening Day! Read on for today's report. UPDATE! Photos now posted!

The lifts have opened and there are plenty of pistes to ski on and even a little off piste to put down some fresh tracks if you are one of the lucky ones!

Today with skis waxed, ski passes sorted and insurance (always get Insurance) we headed up at a nice relaxed time of 10am.

What a pleasant surprise, NO need to take any buses. From the top of the Funi it was straight onto the Mont Blanc Chair, from the top all the way down to the bottom of the Transarc in Arc 1800 and up to the Arc 2000 bowl. The Arpette, Carrely and Vagere chairs were also all running.

Although not much snow in either Arc 1600 or Arc 1800 they have managed to keep the run down into both stations open. Also the racing on the Cachette race piste was going ahead. They have already started to build the Snowpark and the Mille8 Beginner Area is open.

Over in the Arc 2000 bowl area the pistes were almost all open and the snow was fine. We even managed some first tracks in very spring like snow!

Then down to Peisey. The Vanoise Express Opens next weekend, You can ski the whole way down, although hard packed at the bottom. Next stop Vallandry.

Also able to ski the whole way down which was a bonus.

Back towards Arc 1800. As long as you stay on the open pistes conditions were OK lower down. Go off the open pistes and it can get tough!

Finally, back up to the Arc 2000 bowl and a nice cruise on and off piste down to Arc 1950 and finally back to Arc 1600 without hitting any rocks all day.

My conclusion. Although challenging in places conditions overall are much better than last year right now. If it stays cold and they keep making snow the pistes should hold up well for Christmas so hurry up and get out here!

If you need ski or snowboard rental or other gear. Polaire Star Ski Shop at the bottom of the Funi is open and ready to welcome.
http://www.polairestar.com/

Come have some fun!

Photos of today will follow later on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page in the new Dec 2016 album as I am now going out to dinner! https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 11-12-16 0:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowcrazy, thanks for the report, good the posters had worked so hard to keep the main link pistes open. Out on Wednesday, although sadly off skis for a bit of time, but it will at least be nice to be there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
@snowcrazy, thanks for the report, good the posters had worked so hard to keep the main link pistes open. Out on Wednesday, although sadly off skis for a bit of time, but it will at least be nice to be there.

Injured?
latest report
@thefatcontroller, concussion and internal bruising. Not allowed to bang my head for 10 days as, and I quote, 'that would be bad'.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
@thefatcontroller, concussion and internal bruising. Not allowed to bang my head for 10 days as, and I quote, 'that would be bad'.

Hard to argue with that diagnosis Shocked Very Happy Very Happy . Stay safe and hope things improve.
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, thanks Happy Also barely able to bend or twist, so skiing, even against the Dr's orders, would be tricky.
ski holidays
@snowcrazy, Thanks for that report snowHead

Seems like they've really done a good job given the challenging weather conditions
ski holidays
Any idea what conditions are like accross the VE over in La Plagne? We've had to switch from ARC 2000 to La Plagne 2000 this year, will be out there 18th - 26th.
latest report
How did you manage to get yourself into that sort of state @rob@rar ?
ski holidays
@rob@rar, sorry to hear you are injured. Hope you recover quickly. If you fancy meeting for a Beer please do send me a PM here or over on my facebook page.

I hear it is similar over the other side. Better snow up top with hard pack lower and limited areas open this week. More to follow once they tell us what will open next week with the Vanoise Express.
snow conditions
bobski62 wrote:
How did you manage to get yourself into that sort of state @rob@rar ?
On Friday I was hit by an out of control skier who was travelling very fast, not that I can remember much of it. Airlifted to Innsbruck hospital where there were concerns about my pelvis and/or internal injuries, but happily x-rays and ultrasound showed everything intact and in reasonable working order. Back in the UK now, but feeling sore and very stiff.
snow report
@rob@rar, Ouch, sorry to hear. Did skier stop, appreciate you are insured but does the other person bear any cost if stopped?
snow conditions
woodpecker wrote:
Any idea what conditions are like accross the VE over in La Plagne? We've had to switch from ARC 2000 to La Plagne 2000 this year, will be out there 18th - 26th.

You might want to follow the La Plagne thread?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2972251#2972251
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
@rob@rar, Ouch, sorry to hear. Did skier stop, appreciate you are insured but does the other person bear any cost if stopped?
He did stop and I think he was very apologetic, but I was dazed and took me a little while to realise how much pain I was in, by which time he had skied off. The accident wasn't seen by anyone I was skiing with, and I didn't have the wits about me to exchange details. The local police were very understanding when they took a statement, saying that was often the case. I believe the cost of the helicopter and onboard medics were included on the liftpass, as it appears that I have nothing to pay for that. The hospital I was taken to was a public hospital, so as an EU citizen there was nothing to pay. I think the only cost for my insurance claim was the taxi ride back to my accommodation. All in all it was a pretty smooth experience as big accidents go, especially as I was well looked after by the people I was skiing with while we were waiting for the helicopter to arrive. Pete Gillespie and some of the other folk from Hemel were incredibly professional and reassuring when I started to feel very unwell.
snow report
@rob@rar, From everything I read more and more accidents are from 'out of controls' and at busy intersections on slopes. Little you can do to mitigate against at times. Glad you are ok though.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
@rob@rar, From everything I read more and more accidents are from 'out of controls' and at busy intersections on slopes. Little you can do to mitigate against at times. Glad you are ok though.
Snow conditions were quite polished on the piste it happened on, with occasional patches of glacier ice. To find grip you needed to work the skis hard, but lots of skiers were charging down making big zig-zag changes of direction with very little control of their speed or line. It was the first run of our day and I was fallowing my usual warm up routine so I was either skiing slowly near the piste margin or was stationary when he hit me. Unfortunately I can't remember much between the end of the stretches my group had done before clipping in to skis and several minutes after the crash when I was told to lie down and wait for piste rescue.

With current snow levels many pistes will be in a similar icy condition through the holiday period, and it would be nice to think that everyone will either slow down a bit or learn how to ski hardback snow so they are able to control their speed and line. I don't think that's going to happen though, so there will be collisions a plenty Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hard luck, rob@rar. On a forum or FB conversation somewhere there may even be a skier suggesting the collision wasn't their fault, and that people should never stop on the pistes, yada, yada. Alongside a discussion about GPS speed tracking apps of course.
snow report
@rob@rar, glad to hear you are on the mend. A reasonable outcome to what could have been significantly worse. Knowing your style and the care you take, your tale has made me very cautious for this week, when I am out with my daughter for 5 days. I'm the only driver, so an incident like you suffered would have quite complex consequences.

Maybe catch up for coffee in 1800 though? I'll give you a call when we get on the slopes (Thursday)

AR
snow report
Sunday 11 Dec. UPDATE! Photos from today now posted.

After touring around everywhere in Les Arcs that was open yesterday. Today we went looking for some off piste that might give us a little challenge and even some soft snow. The day did not disappoint.

After a quick blast down to the bottom of the Transarc from the Mont Blanc chair, it was time for another run down the meadows to the Varet gondola in the Arc 2000 bowl. Still a little room for more fresh lines, but now the whole area is well skied.

Then up top of Aiguille Rouge and time to find more soft snow. The right hand ridge proved quite fun above the piste. Had to be careful but still managed to find a little untracked soft snow. Then down Genepy in very mixed snow.

Second lap took us into the Robert Blanc couloir and first tracks down and then into Arc 1950 and a quick lunch stop.

Third lap was down the North Face of Aiguille Rouge and then the Freeride area down to the Varet.

Fourth Lap back up the Varet across into the freeride area again and mixed snow with very spring like conditions later in the afternoon.

Finally back up one more time and then all the way to the Marmotte Chair off piste. Challenging route finding at times in current conditions.

Then back up Bois de l'ours and down to Arc 1600.

Overall we found that despite the limited snow cover it was possible to spend the whole day off piste and not hit many rocks. We even found some quite good soft snow higher on the mountain.

The pistes are all holding up well and although very hard packed by late afternoon. As long as you ski or board under control you can enjoy touring the whole area. More to come tomorrow.

Photos from today will be posted shortly in the Dec 2016 Album on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

@rob@rar, Not a nice tale! But I am very pleased to hear you should be OK after a little rest.

@Arctic Roll, See you briefly when you are out.
latest report
Quote:

The pistes are all holding up well and although very hard packed by late afternoon. As long as you ski or board under control you can enjoy touring the whole area

Good to hear - week on Saturday!
snow conditions
Can I echo others' sentiments and wish you a speedy recovery, @rob@rar.

Will make an effort to catch up with you, Snowcrazy and some of the other regulars this year when I'm out.
ski holidays
My last update for a few days. I shall post a new report at the weekend.

Sorry to say not much good news re. Snow conditions.

It has not snowed for weeks now and does not look lightly before New Year with enough to make any difference.

The off piste higher on the mountain has been fun the last few days, but as more people arrive it will become very warn and rocky in places.

Les Arcs has been making a great effort to keep the main pistes open this week, but with little snow forecast for Christmas and New Year holiday periods the predictions are not very good.

The pistes are lasting higher up, but also already becoming very polished. Lower down they are very hard packed with only 'man made' snow in most places, but you can get down to all stations except Villaroger. They still hope to have the VE open next week, but snow in Les Coches is very limited.

As for race training, they are only using the Cachette race piste for training. Not sure they will be using this for ESF stuff in the holidays. Best anyone planning race lessons contact ESF and ask them if there will be any racing during the holiday period.

For other ski or snowboard lessons the different schools will be using the pistes, but they are likely to be crowded during New Year holiday period.

I have been asked should people still come?

Yes, you can ski and snowboard. There are also different things to do! So you must make your choice and not expect to much. Then you will not be disappointed.

They are building the snowpark right now and the Airbag at the Altiport is already open. The beginner areas at all stations are open and so is the sledge run in Arc 1800. They have also started to build the Sledge course in the Arc 2000 bowl. And of course you have the Watercentre in Arc 1800.

But after another week of these conditions it will not be great and I do not think they will get any better unless the weather changes.

However it is better than last year right now and I shall be here.

Hope this helps with your planning!

To see photos go to my Les Arcs Winter facebook page in the Dec 2016 Album.
ski holidays
Quote:
It has not snowed for weeks now and does not look lightly before New Year with enough to make any difference.

I am normally one of the first to spout you can't predict or trust the weather but I've got to say this dry spell seems a) quite unusual and b) quite frustrating.

I said to the missus tonight that I am convinced (for no good reason) that it will snow at some point while we are out there (17th to 24th). This was based not any scientific basis but purely on the principle that "it has to break sometime"!

If we have another snowmaggedon on the way home I am never going to speak to those snow gods again!
snow report
@Layne, I will be very happy if you have snowmaggedon on way home - as I arrive on 24th!
ski holidays
^^ + 1, although I feel very selfish saying it Sad
snow report
@Boris, @wills_h, I will console myself that it will being making fellow snowheads happy should it happen Very Happy Laughing snowHead

I look at this page each day and it never frigging changes!!!
ski holidays
yeah, I'm pretty fed up with seeing that bloody sun icon myself!
latest report
We are not there until 7th January but still keeping a close eye, that sun icon needs to Be Nice please! right off.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy