Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
My favourite cafe in BSM. Real shame.

@araird, I delight in reading your blog. So often a nice insight into what's going on in the area.

How about an exposé on all that new piste bashing off to the right of Mont Blanc... French blogs are conjecturing either access to Club Med or revival of the Olympic piste.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Need to do some snow dancing. I see the snowline is creeping up
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chrisrawles, I'm dancing, I'm dancing!

My usual cam is showing snow just down to Vallandry - It's got 5 weeks to sort itself out and have snow down to valley floor
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Boris, I am yet to experience Les Arc in its full glory. Last time I was there for a week was and end of season trip in April so anything below 1800 was slushy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chrisrawles, as I suggested, the snow from this month, even though it fell in significant quantities, was not something that could be relied on for the Christmas period. Hopefully upper slopes will be faring better than the snow at resort level, but the strong, warm southerly wind (the Foehn) is eating its way through the snowpack as quickly as it always does. What was more than knee-deep just over a week ago at 1800m is already down to a few centimetres, with the ground showing through in lots of places.

Just as a week ago was not time for a great celebration, now is not a time for despair. It's still too early to say what conditions will be like a month from now. Could be awesome, could be dire. So keep dancing wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, I'm not worrying yet! Was in La Plange last NY and that was fine if stayed high enough. Just hoping we get to really explore all the Arcs as there is so much area we missed last time. Fingers crossed! Blush
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisrawles wrote:
Fingers crossed! Blush
Indeed. Last year's Christmas in Les Arcs was OK on the upper slopes if you happy to stay on piste, but after three relatively poor starts to the season I'm hoping we'll get something a bit more generous from the snowgods this year.

To show how quickly things can change, this photo was taken (in Meribel) on 8 December 2012. One week earlier there was no snow below 2600m. Not a flake. Big snow in early December is what we really want Happy

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just booked a cheeky 5 days 15th - 19th Dec. Full dance mode is ON!

(staying in Bourg so if ness should be able to choose resort on a day-to-day basis)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Keep the faith. It will be better this season!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arctic Roll wrote:
just booked a cheeky 5 days 15th - 19th Dec. Full dance mode is ON!

(staying in Bourg so if ness should be able to choose resort on a day-to-day basis)

Where are you staying?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thefatcontroller, L'Autantic - we tend to use it when in town 'out of season' and so not inclined to stay up in 1950 - it's not plush, but it's clean, it's cheap, it does B&B but no dining. And it was available across the weekend on a day rate.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm looking forward to the holiday and having Christmas in the alps - there will be some skiing I am sure

Anything more than that is just added bonus
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris wrote:
I'm looking forward to the holiday and having Christmas in the alps - there will be some skiing I am sure

Anything more than that is just added bonus
Exactly right. It's a lovely time to be in the Alps, and with snow-making on a large proportion of pistes it's almost certain to have plenty of piste skiing available. But with a little bit of luck it will be much better than that:

Boxing Day 2010

20th December 2011

Christmas Day 2012
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've a nice picture of a sand dune with the caption Christmas 2015 but I can't work out how to post it! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@wills_h, Laughing
latest report
wills_h wrote:
I've a nice picture of a sand dune with the caption Christmas 2015 but I can't work out how to post it! Very Happy Very Happy

We don't talk about Xmas 2015.......
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
wills_h wrote:

We don't talk about Xmas 2015.......

Or indeed 2014!

2012 was immense though.
latest report
TBH I'll be happy just to be in the mountains for a fortnight, first trip since August.
latest report
Love possibilities.....

The forecast-
The next notable snow forecast for Les Arcs is 4cm, expected on 25 November, with around 7cm forecast over the next 7 days - and up to 132cm possible the following week.
ski holidays
Lets hope the big dump happens
snow conditions
Reality is sadly that anything over 3 days out is irrelevant from a weather perspective. Seen 4 seasons in a morning in Les Arcs let alone predicting over 3 days out. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Time for an update and I am afraid it is not good news!

The new snow last week did not arrive and instead it rained even high on the mountain. As a result there is little snow left below 2000m accept in the sheltered places. For those like me planning to be out for the opening day, it will be a gamble. Yes, there is enough snow to ski the pistes in Arc 2000 bowl, but if it stays as it is, there will not be snow down to any other stations unless it get's much colder and they can have the snow canons working overtime or if we are really lucky and do get a big dump.

Seems that the early season is going to be a repeat of the last few years with not much snow forecast for the next few weeks.

Sorry to bring the bad news, but someone has to say how it really is. Fingers crossed that the snow comes before the busy holiday Christmas and New Year periods. See you on the slopes. Might have to bring the bike!

Take a look at the webcams around the resort to see for yourself!

http://en.lesarcs.com/webcams.html
snow conditions
Looks like warm temperatures for the foreseeable as well. My faith is still alive but dwindling slightly Sad
latest report
Looking at the webcams this morning there seems to be reasonably complete piste cover above 2000m, but no snow of any significance below that. I think that's very similar to the situation this time last year? As snowcrazy said, with the current forecast opening week looks like thin pickings, but plenty of time still for things to change (hopefully for the better!) for the Christmas and NY weeks.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, well I'll be arriving Christmas Eve come what may, I think I still owe you a Christmas drink for all the advice you helped with last season!
latest report
Blue sky with a light frost this morning. High clouds passing over. Here is a photo from across the valley. Hope the snow comes back soon or the opening week could be difficult anywhere below 2000m. I agree with Rob. Fingers crossed for that big dump soon!

To see my photos you need to look at my facebook page. Les Arcs Winter. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

The webcams tell the story. Take a look. I will post again later in the week with another update. http://en.lesarcs.com/webcams.html

Just a quick reminder that I did not give you yesterday. Anyone wanting a season pass needs to buy online before the end of November to get the discount so hurry. If you plan to be out for more than three weeks or are also coming in the summer. Then the season pass for the winter is a good option. The full Paradiski pass which also includes the La Plagne side in the summer is the one to buy. http://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/

Someone just sent me a message. 'Is it worth coming out for the start of the season or even over Christmas and New Year?' Good question.

I thought I would share my answer with everyone.

'It depends if this is your only chance of skiing this winter. If the answer is yes this is your only trip then I would still come. I would think all the runs in the Arc 2000 bowl will be opening during the first week as there is plenty of snow higher on the mountain. If they are able to make snow, they might even be able to add one piste down to each station as they did last winter. Not much I agree, but still better than not skiing IMO. If you come out not expecting to much, then you will not be disappointed and it might turn out better than you thought.'

'If you are coming out again later in the season, then you take your chance. Could be better later in the season. I hope so, but you never can be sure! I will be here for the opening even if it is not that good. Even a little time on the snow is better than nothing!

Hope that helps with your planning.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 27-11-16 17:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just wondered if anyone has received their Les Arcs ski passes yet - for week long holidays, not season passes? Do you know when the lift pass office start sending them out?
snow conditions
Yep, I received my Ski a la Carte card 10 days ago (thanks for the tip snowcrazy)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well Xmas week will be our only week this year, so we'll be there! May be a pain getting from Vallandry up above 2000m though Puzzled
ski holidays
Come on peeps let's get dancing for the snow gods to take a huge dump ready for the opening weekend and Xmas week Toofy Grin
snow conditions

View from the Arpette webcam showing cloud filling the Tarentaise and if you look closely you can see the snow cannons are running on the pistes down to Arc 1800
ski holidays
Amazing view
ski holidays
For webcam saddos Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed They have added a livecam to 1950

http://www.lesarcs.com/livecam-arc1950.html
snow report
I shall be glad when we get off this page and don't have to scroll past all those lovely @rob@rar pictures of times past to read the latest news.

Out in 17 days. C'mon you snow gods...
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, nice find. Good to see the snow cannons on Marmottes going full throttle.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
For webcam saddos Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed They have added a livecam to 1950

http://www.lesarcs.com/livecam-arc1950.html
That LiveCam points straight in to somebody's apartment! Wonder if they asked permission before putting it in place?
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:
I shall be glad when we get off this page and don't have to scroll past all those lovely @rob@rar pictures of times past to read the latest news.
Apologies! Laughing

So as we don't get too despondent, here's another one taken a few days into the 2016 New Year, after last winter's very poor start to the season. No shortage of snow then...

The Pisteurs had to fly around in helos lobbying dynamite out of the window (and in my mind playing the Ride of the Valkyries very loudly) to cope with the insane quantity of snow that started to fall in the first week of January. Oh, happy days...
latest report
@rob@rar, This is not helping LOL
snow conditions
Nice to see the ground going white again. Must cost a fortune to make snow!
snow conditions
Yep - looking at webcams they seem to be building at least one run down to Vallandry and Peisey!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy