Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

That Darn Which Ski Question again

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have (but am yet to ski on) K2 Shreditor 92s which seem to have fairly good write ups that class it as a good all round ski. Might be a bit narrow for what he's asking but from what I've seen it's apparently reasonable on hardpack, capable (although not great) off pist and fun in the park. I pretty much bought them because they seemed like a decent price and everything I read about them suggested it was what I was looking for...although it's always difficult to trust reviews as you never know what lengths a manufacturer/retailer has gone to in order to sweeten the deal. They might ski like crap but K2 happened to put on a great test trip with lots of free booze
not that I'm suggesting that's the case, it's just that I've known of such practices in other industries
Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@spyderjon,

From what I'm reading/viewing/gleaning, the CT2.0 does have good edgehold on hardpack.

Yes, he prob could make a a demo day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mollerski wrote:

From what I'm reading/viewing/gleaning, the CT2.0 does have good edgehold on hardpack.

Probably does for the type of ski, but at the end of the day it's a lightweight playful freestyle ski. It'll never hold an edge like something more substantial (or with carbon). From Faction's line I think the Chapter 106 would be the better real allrounder - I tested them last winter and found them very capable on piste.

Not that the Candide would be a bad option - I haven't skied them but think they'd actually be a great allrounder for some people - but they don't really match the race ski criteria in your first post at all.

Here are two random cheap options that would cover most bases for the price of one pair of new skis:

https://www.sport-bittl.com/en/k2-amp-rictor-90-xti-13-14-flat-o-bindung::21173.html
https://www.sport-bittl.com/en/salomon-rocker2-108-13-14::24681.html

Would probably be more useful for your son to post more info about what sort of skis he actually likes and what sort of skiing he wants to do though!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Working a season? If the job is remotely related to a ski shop (e.g. hotels, tour operators etc all have deals with ski shops) then just go and chat to the guys in the shop and demo skis. In my experience they'll let seasonal workers demo plenty of skis (especially in quieter weeks) and then they'll do you a good deal when it comes to buying. Even if the job doesn't have a link to a shop if you're working a season you'll likely still get a good deal and plenty of help from fellow season workers in the shop.

Anyway, everyone on this thread is wrong, the ski he needs is the Blizzard Bonafide in 180.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:
Surely

Quote:
Theres no such thing as a one ski quiver, its one of those phrases that should actually be banned.

and

Quote:
I have Kastle MX88's in a 188 that cover 90% of days

contradict themselves?

Not in the slightest I use my Kastles more than I should sometimes, if its boiler plate ice I will take my GS skis out instead. If im touring or its new soft snow I will take my Rangers out, if its dumping with powder I will probably still take my rangers out. They can handle 90% of days but they are only of enjoyment on about 50% of them, thats why I have about eight sets of skis. Its not about the ability to just handle as I can handle pretty much anything on any ski I own, but I like to enjoy the conditions, hence the quiver.

I also grew up on the era of straight skis with no turn radius and I still ski a set of 24 year old Volkl Explovi's but I've modernised them a lot, I changed the mounting position and I added a lot tip rocker and took the camber out of them, great crud skis. Yes you can cope with most things but coping is boring when you want to enjoy it and not be an back bottom to prove a point.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to update.
We actually have two lads who are both off on seasons soon.

Both are 5'10, the lighter more race orientated son had a pair of 180cm Brahmas arrive today.

The other, 186cm Whitedot Ranger Trad care of Spyderjon, whom was super helpful. Cheers Jon, appreciated. Madeye-Smiley

Thanks for all help/info given on this thread, again much appreciated.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did my season on a pair of WD Ones and a pair of WD Preachers. Both were fantastic, but frankly if I did it again, I'd swap them for some consumer grade race carvers. My quiver today is the Preachers and the a Head WC Rebel I.SL.

A season is about complete variation. Learning to ski powder on a race ski is a challenge, and tiring. Rewarding, but you simply will not get the best out of the day compared to having something fat with you - and you'll be having less fun than your friends.

If he must take just one pair, something with at least 80mm underfoot and twin tipped would be my call. I really rate the One - it will carve, do Park, and off-piste. I'd go 180cm - my 173s felt too short after a while.

I own a lot of skis, including "all rounders" like the DPS Cassiar 95, GS and SL carvers, and the Preachers (I eventually snapped the Ones in half jumping off something big - they had well over 120 days on them by then). My picks now are the Preachers which are great as long as you have at least sidewall depth snow, and the SL skis for bulletproof days.

For him, if he wants a piste carver that is a bit more versatile than the Head SLs or Rossi ST Heros etc, one of the best skis out there is I think the Salomon X-Race in a 170. Smooth, fine in light powder, easy to get airborne and just a lovely thing. I only chose the Heads over them because I wanted something really uncompromising on piste for rare piste-only days. If doing another season, I'd take the X-Race every time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy