Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Streif: One Hell of a Ride

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this has been discussed before - probably has - but my search brought up nothing. The english language version was released on YouTube in November, and I watched it last night. Such an interesting subject (the Hahnenkamm), and I think they did it justice with some great racing & crash sequences, loads of archive footage, good interviews with Cuche, Svindal etc but a few things were quite grating - the bizarre scripted voice overs and it's hard not to be very aware throughout that it was produced by Red Bull. Erik Guay is pretty good, a lot more natural than some of the others and the Belarus racer and his mother were an interesting (and kinda crazy) side story. Would have liked to see more about women & the Hahnenkamm, but they didn't include anything. Nonetheless nice to see a film about racing (and such an iconic race too), as a change from all the Warren Miller, MSP powder films etc. Don't know about it's appeal to anyone not particularly interested in ski racing though
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@moseyp, thanks! Looks like it's worth watching.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Maireadoconnor, for €3.99 rental, definitely worth watching

Trailer
http://youtube.com/v/blaKUQohF2Q
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@moseyp,
watched this on amazon a few months back , i felt it could of been much better.
The content is all there and we could of had something akin to Senna but instead it all came out in a muddle.
Maybe one event was too concise and we should of had a few downhill and all the characters.
I dunno , i really wanted to like it and recommend it to friends to "get" what i do watching downhill but it failed.
Worth a watch but a pity it didnt deliver.
Downhill deserves a quality movie , all the content is there , the heroes , the villains , the controversy , the danger , the speed , the crashes.
All we need is Asif Kapadia to gather all the footage and direct the movie ski racing deserves Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The content is all there and we could of had something akin to Senna

to be fair, Red Bull Media are never going to produce something of that quality, Senna had a very different team behind it (Working Title) so I don't think you can draw any parallels

but yeah it's a shame it wasn't good enough to have more mainstream appeal
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Its a pity as i think there is a demand for a quality ski racing movie , eddie the eagle one did quite well and the Senna story is all but lost on the new generation and it was a maintream hit.
Ski racing has all the ingredients , its just a pity someone hasnt the bottomless pit of money to make a box office movie.

I enjoyed Strief but i was a captive audience , the OH fell asleep Smile

Have you seen The Crash Reel? its a great movie , uses montage footage and delves pretty deep into the sport of snowboarding and all the associated noise whilst remaining sincere and honest.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah it's very good, but nothing beats McConkey for me. Actually I think that was Red Bull too
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah good one , that was on Netflix and got a few non skiing friends to watch that and they liked it.
Think ski movies have lost their way a little , i like the old school stuff , blizzard of ahhs is quality but some of the modern ones look great but are a bit too indulgent , i cant make the leap with them.
in saying that Deeper , Further and Higher i enjoyed , there was a part in one of them where Jeremy Jones videos himself going down a chute on pure ice , really got how poo-poo scared he was and just how extreme what those guys are doing is
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My favourite recent ski film is Supervention because it's not as annoying listening to people saying, "Gnarly, duuuude!" when they're saying it in Norwegian.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hawkwind wrote:
Its a pity as i think there is a demand for a quality ski racing movie

What is wrong with Downhill Racer ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Not a doc
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Maireadoconnor, ill give that one a go.

@rjs, as @moseyp, says its not a doc.

We have all this amazing footage from the 70's klammer to the current Bode Millar , those guys could make a documentary on their own.
Be great if some of the movie guys could make something mashing the footage with a storyline like they did Senna and appeal to a broad audience and ignite downhill racing.

I remember watching Klammer as a kid in the 70's , David Vine and Ski Sunday was unmissable then and i didnt go near skis till 30 years later but that still sticks and was what made me always want to ski.

ive got into it and would love to turn more people onto skiing , what better way than a movie that shows the excitement and thrills?

The modern stuff is aimed at a small target audience to sell products not to showcase winter sports.

But yeah , downhill racer is getting searched for a stream Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:

Watching it right now! Theres my early night ruined! Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@letsgetpiste, link ? Smile
snow report
@hawkwind,
http://youtube.com/v/vfZ-UEu-3YE - Don't judge me. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ha ha nice one Smile ill get that in after bloody x factor!
latest report
Love it - more cheese than a fondue. Who knew Robert Retford could ski like that?
snow report
Hey folks! Just a quick update / thread resurrection!

"Streif: One Hell of a Ride" is available on RedBull TV at the moment. Don't know for how long...
latest report
Resurrecting again, Streif is on Amazon Prime at the moment
ski holidays
@davkt, think it's still on Red Bull, which is free for all. redbull.tv
snow report
I've just dumped Prime but yes its still on redbull tv. It not short at just under 2 hours. The opening is a bit up its own back bottom with the priests, lets see if it gets better.
latest report
Direct link
https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/video/AP-1M8YN8CVN1W11/streif

Watched the first 40 minutes so far, been great. Cam't keep mey eyes open though so we'll finish it another time
ski holidays
Some boring bits but also good footage that shows a)how steep it is and b)how fast it is in a way race coverage never seems to manage
snow report
davkt wrote:
Some boring bits but also good footage that shows a)how steep it is and b)how fast it is in a way race coverage never seems to manage

It sure does, like where he can just about scramble up the course slopes, yet they absolutely fly down them. Gutsy doesn't begin to describe it.
snow report
It's a shame that most of it isn't pisted during the season. It would be a real treat to ski it, or at least be able to get on certain sections as the season goes on. I tend to get around to Kitzbuhel at the end of Feb earliest and you can ski from the start hut to the top of the steilhang without too much trouble, then all of the steep bits are covered in waist high bumps. The bottom is 3" of man made slush.

It would be like playing a free round at St Andrews or scoring a goal from the spot at Wembley if you could sky it from top to bottom. Otherwise, I completely agree that it is totally misrepresented on the TV and Graham Bell has balls like watermelons for going down it pre race.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy