Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
If anyone knows the young ladies who gave up their seat on the Navette from Bellecote to Plagne Central to a friend of mine who'd crocked her knee last Thursday - Please pass on our thanks - It was greatly appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blue sky day lovely first thing on piste but off piste was hardened crust so stayed on piste. Temps in the high teens soon turned the snow to less than favourable for old knees so beer on the Forperet terrace was called for by 3.00pm snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting how wonderfully quiet it was in Montalbert yesterday.
Today we tried Champagny again. Very busy. As was Roche de Mio. But runs down to Montchavin/Les Coches were pleasantly quiet and no lift queues at all.
So, if you want the best time, get out to the edges: Montchavin/Les Coches and Montalbert.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
World Telemark Championships in Plagne Centre and Montchavin over the next few days...

Best avoid Montalbert as well wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great off piste at altitude in La Plagne today. Even found fresh tracks. Just got to look for it! More to come tomorrow. Photos of last few days will be posted over on the Les Arcs Winter page tomorrow evening. Time for bed, a long day is planned tomorrow! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster...

We're off to stay in Les Coches on Saturday and its my first time in a proper resort... Very excited...

I've become slightly obsessed with snow forecasts and see that this week is looking pretty warm with limited new snow forecast, which has me worried... Can someone reassure me that there will be snow!! Any tips on where to head to would also be great!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There will be snow. I'm there too on Sunday.

Head to Les Arcs, although you have nice skiing where you are.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dave_m wrote:

Excellent, thanks! I think we have passes which allow us over to Les Arcs. I'm assuming that even if the snow if looking poor at Les Coches you just grab a lift and get higher in search of better conditions. Was looking forward to the fact we have a ski in/ski out right on the edge of the Coches red run.

I've heard there are also snow cannons and the pistes are kept in pretty good shape even late into the seaso...now i just need to stop looking at the forecasts!!

rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MikeStrangeluv wrote:
dave_m wrote:

Excellent, thanks! I think we have passes which allow us over to Les Arcs. I'm assuming that even if the snow if looking poor at Les Coches you just grab a lift and get higher in search of better conditions. Was looking forward to the fact we have a ski in/ski out right on the edge of the Coches red run.

I've heard there are also snow cannons and the pistes are kept in pretty good shape even late into the seaso...now i just need to stop looking at the forecasts!!

rolling eyes Laughing

I've stayed in Les Coches multiply times early season and late season. The links are always kept open because it provides the route to and from the Vanoise Express - the link between the La Plagne and Les Arcs ski areas. They have snow cannons and are not shy in using them on this route. They would have already bashed enough snow to last the season. So you will be ski in, ski out. And yes, if conditions are poor lower down you just spend more time higher up - though there is good skiing above Les Coches so hopefully....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne wrote:
MikeStrangeluv wrote:
dave_m wrote:

rolling eyes Laughing

I've stayed in Les Coches multiply times early season and late season. The links are always kept open because it provides the route to and from the Vanoise Express - the link between the La Plagne and Les Arcs ski areas. They have snow cannons and are not shy in using them on this route. They would have already bashed enough snow to last the season. So you will be ski in, ski out. And yes, if conditions are poor lower down you just spend more time higher up - though there is good skiing above Les Coches so hopefully....

Great info! Many thanks - you've made me feel much better! Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MikeStrangeluv, Add this to you list of snow forecast sites - this is the France Meteo forecast which is produced twice daily in Bourg St Maurice. As with all forecasts its highly accurate about 12 hours ahead! snowHead
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/montchavin-les-coches/73210

Hopefully the rainfall at the weekend is wrong....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A tricky morning in LP this morning - Carella chair shut so had to detour into Belle Plagne on way up to R de Mio, then Bellecote bubble was delayed until about 11. Still, some good cold snow still to be found on Bellecote north face, and good spring snow on the way back to Champagny this afternoon:

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@offpisteskiing, an excellent day snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi guys,

I'm off to LP on Saturday for a week. All the weather forecasts seems to show rainfall during the week, I've never skied in the rain before, will this adversely impact the snow/skiing conditions?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Raining and skiing is horrible. Just hope you get to ski where it's falling as snow.
ski holidays
@WillowWilson, Nothing so sad as rain in a ski resort, but check the forecast again and they seem to have moved the rain along and changed it to showers, like the weather forecasts in the UK we will have to wait and see on the day snowHead
latest report
I'm heading there on Sat as well... Should be some snowfall at higher levels from the looks of it so far... Keep fingers and toes crossed that the rain turns to snow at lower levels!
ski holidays
offpisteskiing, you are a brave man.
We are seeing avalanches round here where never before. Or much bigger avalanches than ever before.
The whole of the mountainside beside Gavotte as gone (red run off Cretes, the drag above Becoin), sending debris for hundreds of metres across the bowl towards Grande Pente.
I hope you are taking professional advice.

WillowWilson and MikeStrangeluv, the forecasts are changing from hour to hour.
Precipitation seems definite, but there is considerable debate over the freezing level.
MeteoFrance says rain next week, while meteoexploration has the freezing level down to 1400m by next Thursday.
We wait and see Confused
ski holidays
@Jonpim, not brave at all, I am extremely prudent.

You have to look at what has happened with the weather in the last 10 days. Following the massive snowfall + wind last weekend/early week there were widespread, massive avalanches of a once in 20 year variety in many areas of the Vanoise / Tarentaise / Maurienne and further afield. As of Weds/Thurs last week we have been in a good spring cycle of melt/freeze (this has been going on for a week now) which has gone a long way to stabilise the snowpack on most aspects (the odd lurking trap notwithstanding) with potential increased activity due to warming in the afternoons - this part is manageable by simple timing...
The MeteoFrance avalanche bulletins reflect this, with current forecast (for last 2/3 days) being 1 (Low) going up to 2 (Moderate) as the day progresses and slopes heat up.

I have been known to seek professional advice from time to time on many subjects...
snow conditions
Glad to know you are prudent @offpisteskiing, and maybe lucky too.
A friend did the North Face the other day and showed me pics of the Petit Face avalanched from top to bottom.
Made it "even more exhilarating" he said.
I'll stick to being a woose.
(good to see Rochu and Bellecote open at last).
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
and maybe lucky too.

Luck doesn't come into it. Again, you appear to be confusing past avalanche activity during a very different weather cycle with current conditions. Over and out.
snow conditions
@offpisteskiing, I see you did some of my favorite routes the other day. We must have been on the North Face doing another route at the same time as you from the shadows in your photos. Think I saw you at the bottom of the Funi today or someone with your badge on! Were you over on the Les Arcs side today?

Loads more photos of the Bellecote from different directions on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page in the March 2017 Album for anyone interested in seeing what it was like today. We have spent the last few days over that side. As @offpisteskiing, says. Still some very good snow on the North Face and spring snow on the more southernly slopes. Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/
snow report
Apologies offpisteskiing, not meant to be annoying.
Just difference of approach.

We were chatting to lifties at bottom of Becoin yesterday (while Telemark Slalom was going on), and they said Envers will open on March 25th for punters to use, but official opening (with trumpet fanfares, dancing girls, and singing fat ladies) will be March 30th Confused
We shall see . . .
ski holidays
Another sunny day today and very warm. (Actually recorded +22c on our balcony in Montalbert yesterday lunchtime.)

If anyone is looking for a proper long Black run I suggest you try Bellecote followed by Derechoir tomorrow. (Derochoir opening is never guaranteed)
Thank goodness there is a bar at the end of Derechoir is all I can say.

Interesting afternoon with both the Montalbert Gondola and the Colossus Chair breaking down at around 3.30pm.
Saw the queue at Colosses and decided to take another route back to Monty only then we realised that it appeared to be stopped and the diesel back up was running.
snow conditions
I skied briefly today. It's totally not my kind of conditions. We skied from Plagne Centre to Bellecote and I nearly quit then. I have less than Zero confidence in 'wet' sticky snow that is piled into lumps across the piste (I'd rather deal with proper moguls any day!)

We had a goal of sitting in the sun high up on the mountain, so we still went up in the bubble to the Roche de Mio and skied down to L'Invers restaurant for a well earned (its been a hard few weeks at work!) drink and sit in the sun

The trip down after a couple of hours required all my friends patience. I am not a '5 season' good skier, but I'm pretty good on the piste normally. But I generally stop skiing in March when it gets warm and the snow gets sticky but I've barely skied this season so went for it anyway. My poor friend waited patiently as I negotiated the lumpy sticky stuff towards Bellecote! I was fine when it was relatively flat horrible snow but the other people seeming as unhappy as me didn't help as I'm am very people averse nowadays!

Anyway - I got the bus from Bellecote as I know that skiing to Plagne Centre was not going to be any nicer for me

Not long after getting home, I got a call asking if I'd be willing to drive to Bellecote as he was stuck there due to the Colossus not working!! I filled the minibus with two friends and a load of randoms and did a short tour of the resort dropping off people!

It looked terrible at Bellecote. My friend said that some of the French people in the queue were almost fighting whilst waiting for the bus Shock Centre wasn't great either as the Telemetro stopped working sometime this afternoon and was replaced by buses again Sad
snow conditions
chaletgirl, I wondered what would happen to that huge queue for Colosses in Bellecote.
latest report
Extra buses were put on to clear it. I think some of the TO's with minibuses went up to collect people too.

I nearly went back but ended up taking some Oxygene customers to Aime 2000 for superluge (they normally get the telemetro I think but a mate drives for Oxygene and he had about 20 people round his bus and 8 seats!!)
snow report
There seem to be a lot of lifts suffering problems recently.
Is maintenance being compromised?

(Fortunately we got through Bellecote about 2.30pm before the troubles)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is a topic on Perso. running on lift breakdowns http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4460&p=105800#p105800
ski holidays
Why would folks not go back up top and access Plagne Centre via Verdons Sud?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, It was getting late when it broke down, we queued for Blanchette and then decided there wasn't enough time to go down to Verdons and be back to the 1800 chairlift (the last one we need) by 16.50.
As it was we took a shortcut up a cross country track and got to 1800 at 16:40. (why Leitchoums drag was removed is beyond me!)

Btb Verdons Sud closes 16:55

and don't forget La Plagne is famous (on here) for being flat and having lots of old, long and very slow lifts wink
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, I thought they'd replaced them all with fast bubbles.....at your request Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Only mine Toofy Grin wink

On a similar vein, the New Envers chairlift, will open on 25th March. This lift partly replaces Coqs which was removed in error three or four seasons ago.
The new lift will avoid having to go La Roche to get to Aime 2ooo and the rest of La Plagne from Montalbert and also from the back pistes that finish along the Jarset valley.
snow report
After a few wisps of snow in the morning yesterday, it drizzled gently for the rest of the day here in 1800.
We stayed in.
Today was forecast sun-and-clouds in the morning, then clear sun in the afternoon, so we headed for Les Arcs (not been since arrived last week).
Well, as usual, forecast was wrong.
Cloud increased as we headed into Les Arcs. Flat light. We headed back for lunch.
And now, of course, the sun comes out.

It looks like it snowed at top of Arpette.
But all forecasts now suggesting it will stay warm for next week or so - freezing level 2200m of higher.
Suggestions of precipitation Wednesday/Thursday would seem to be rain rather than snow for most of us.
Soft snow and bright sunshine is lovely. Soft snow and rain is horrible.
Funny old season.
snow report
@Jonpim, whilst we couldn't make it out there this season (new born) it certainly does seem to have been a funny old season as you say - sure there have been some cracking days but from the webcams, forecasts and most importantly the comments on here it certainly does seem to have been mediocre at best on the whole. Selfishly I'm pleased as it means we've not missed too much (the two weeks we would normally come were not great).

Already planning a way to make sure we're back next year, with an 11 month old and possibly a dog in tow!!!

Puzzled
latest report
Saturday was a wash out so stayed in and tidied, Left at 10.00 this morning and feet up back in Hampshire at 16.20.
Flight landed 10 mins early. Extra security at Lyon delayed us by about 10 mins getting into terminal, in which groups of 5 Soldiers were patrolling Sad
ski holidays
Hello everyone! Looking for some advice if any of you can help Puzzled

About to hit the button to buy flights over to Geneva airport for Monday 3rd April and hoping to travel to La Plange (not sure what resort yet)... What is the best village to head to at this time?

Can someone give me a rough idea of the following - just a guide price is fine.

-Cost of Ski hire for 3 days.
-Cost of airport transfer / is there a bus / train? what would you recommend?

Would be great to hear your thoughts and advice.

Thanks in advance

Very Happy
snow report
Husband has just returned from Les Gets, skied all over but very wet and snow disappearing at a vast rate. Not sure there will be much left by Easter
ski holidays
warbis66 wrote:
Husband has just returned from Les Gets, skied all over but very wet and snow disappearing at a vast rate. Not sure there will be much left by Easter

Did you mean to post this in a different thread?
latest report
Yes! Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy