Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
The new Télésiège des Envers is coming along nicely. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jirac18, For the last few years it has been hit and miss until New Year with snow conditions lower down, but as they have snow canons. Although not the nicest of conditions, you can normally get at least as far as the Vaonise Express and Les Coches. As mentioned. You have a bubble to down lift to Montchavin if needed. Not ideal, but OK if the price is good. Lift in Les Coches and Montchavin open on 17 December weekend when the Vanoise Express opens. For the first week of the season you will need to drive or bus round to the La Plagne main area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The new Télésiège des Envers is coming along nicely

Although they're now saying it won't be open until January - I wonder I that will slip into February? They have to get it open for the French winter holidays!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Further updates today on http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm (5 October).

Confirmation that opening is 'mid-January'

Some great shots of the serious earth works they've been doing to install the new Envers lift and the remodelling of the nearby pistes though.

Now if only I could find a way to get a week's skiing booked for La Plagne this season........ first time in 4 years we can't visit!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys, I've now booked an apartment in Les Coches for Xmas week and looking forward to it! Can anyone recommend a restaurant in the village for Christmas Day evening? Also will the local spar be open on Christmas Day as we arrive fairly late Christmas Eve and will need to get a few basic supplies in.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Restaurant was La Poya next to tourist information is good or La Table du Tarin.

Shop will be open Christmas day no worries.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Shop will be open Christmas day no worries.

But probaby not on Christmas eve. After being packed out Christmas eve the restaurants will be pretty deserted on Christmas day
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chopkins13, you're really on the ball!
How did you get the info on Oct 3 that perso-laplagne published on Oct 5?
"Par ailleurs, la SAP a confirmé l'information sur le décalage de l'ouverture, qui est prévue pour l'heure à la mi-janvier."
Bit of a bummer: the new Envers would be real useful if snow conditions not good in December, as they've been the last 3 years.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowing in La Plagne this morning

From Lime snowsports https://www.facebook.com/LimeSnowsports/

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah what a beautiful sight to behold, even if it will all immediately melt - it's a sign winter is on its way!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, lovely picture.
Just 2 months to go . . . snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonpim, Yep, really missing the Montalbert webcam at the moment, hopefully they will get it sorted out soon.
Plus looking forward to visiting the new picnic area - wonder where it is?!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah yes! The mystery of the New Picnic Area . . .
Where is Inspector Clouseau when you need him?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I was in Montalbert back in August they were building a large wooden base structure next to the top of the Montalbert gondola. Could this be the new picnic area?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Topperski, Hmm interesting, theres also a restaurant and 'snack' to be built there, that may be the first part of it, of course it could be the mysterious picnic area. snowHead
latest report
And at last there is a sprinkling of snow on the hilltops . . .
http://www.la-plagne.com/infos-live/webcams.html (only Bergerie cam seems to be working)
(presumably a remnant of Thursday's snowfall)
snow report
The other cams do have a "See you next season" message this year.

Hopefully the Bergerie cam will stay active as the season approaches. It does go dead occasionally.

I'm heading over on Boxing Day for a week in PV.

Last season we went over in early Feb, which worked great. However, for a reason that I haven't yet established, we're back to New Year this time round.
Still, any time is a good time up an Alp Very Happy
latest report
I messaged Montalbert tourist office via their facebook page about the lack of webcam and got an immediate answer.
Unfortunately it was as follows

Quote:
Hello ....,
The webcam ll work for the begining of the season, near the 17th december.
See you soon in Montalbert.

Sad
snow report
Monty does look a bit sorry for itself in the rain Autumn - the earth works from the new gondola are still a bit bare and the gravel is quite stark - no doubt the tourist office has decided that until there is a good covering of snow this could be rather off-putting for potential visitors!

No excuse for not getting the Roche De Mio cam switched on though!!
ski holidays
@chopkins13, Yep, it amazes me that they spend Eleven million Euros on the Gondola and then surrounded its main station with chunky gravel and Tarmac scalpings Sad
ski holidays
In previous years, the season pass for La Plagne entitled skiers to 2 days free skiing in Expace Killy and the 3-Valleys, with 50% reductions on day passes in some other nearby areas.
Rumour was rife last season that this perk would be discontinued.
Well, i never trust rumour, so emailed SAP.
Yestereday i go a reply from Corinne at info@edenski.com. Good news.
Quote:
Dear Mr Xxxxxxxx,
EOS will still be available for 2016-2017.
You have to get an EOS ticket in any skipass office in la Plagne before going to other resorts (Tignes- Val d'Isère or 3 Vallées).
Please note that you have to show your Paradiski season pass to get the EOS ticket.
Regards,
Corinne
Service Clients Edenski
ski holidays
@Jonpim, Note the subtle difference between Paradiski Season pass and La Plagne season pass - No EOS with La Plagne. Sad
ski holidays
Accommodation in Les Coches and Paradiski ski passes purchased - 1100 Euros for 2 adults and 2 children.

17th - 24th December.
snow report
boredsurfin, well spotted (if subtle difference does actually mean you forfeit EOS), but not sure why anyone going for a Season Pass would go for just a La Plagne pass.
If going with Edenski: La Plagne 719.50€. Paradiski 802.50€
Return Vanoise as pedestrian €13 - think its more as a skier.
So, difference in season passes is about 6 trips across the Vanoise.

Day pass Espace killy - 55€
Day pass 3-Valleys - 60€

So, 2 days in Espace Killy and 3-Valleys is worth 230€, and there are discounts at St Foy, Pralongan La Vanoise and La Rosiere.
Effectively, the season pass actually costs just 572€ snowHead
No Brainer.
snow report
Aime 2000 2 residences will be built + new hotel 2450 new beds and a water park, a leisure centre + new shopping area
Opens Dec 2019.

https://www.facebook.com/LaPlagne/

http://youtube.com/v/MbrCgjs7pvo

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm#26_10_16
snow report
Aime 2000 definitely in need of some work. The new buildings look quite good in the video - a slightly better looking version of Avoriaz perhaps!

Shame the plans don't seem to include the demolition of the existing monstrous Aime 2000 fortress which really is a blot on the landscape for miles around!

Impressively ambitious construction target - if they can deliver on time in line with the video then this will be a great addition.
snow conditions
@chopkins13, Don't you recognise a 'classified building of architectural patrimony from the 20th Century' when you see one?
Apparently it is 'listed' so I doubt they'll knock it down.
All it needs is a lick of paint and some new wood cladding and it will look like new again????
snow report
@chopkins13, The Steamer as the French call it is indeed a scheduled monument protected under French Law, it is a ship surrounded by a sea of snow - but I guess you knew that. Another problem is internally its a bit like a Townsend Thoreson ferry from the 1970's. Areas are being re-furbed but there are many owners many of whom have not set foot in the place since it has been passed down through their families. So getting collective permission to access all the external balconies is proving very difficult as well - there was talk of obtaining the French version of an act of parliament to enable the external re-furb - I guess thats why its taking so long!

When first marketed each apartment came complete with ski's boots and ski wear, apparently each New Year one or two folk can still be seen wearing the original clothing and skiing on those original skis and boots!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well i quite like the Steamer.
But the new place does look very plush in the video.
My concern is the extra 2450 skiers - La Plagne has quite enough beds as it is.
So knocking down the liner might not be such a bad idea after all - listed or not.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, I read somewhere that the steamer has over 60% 'cold' beds, the new hotel will be 'hot' beds but the new P+V will be luke warm beds I guess Very Happy
ski holidays
Ooohhh - that looks swanky!

Only 6 weeks to go now - can't wait to get my skis on again!
latest report
boredsurfin, excuse my ignoramusment, but just what are "cold" and "hot" beds?
ski holidays
@Jonpim, cold beds is accommodation that isn't let out, but only used by say the owners for a couple of weeks per season. So for the other 18 weeks they are 'cold'. Hot or warm beds are generally occupied for 85% + of the available time - e.g. leased through PnV & other big boys (or direct through owners-abroad, airBnB).

Empty beds are no good for the town's retailers as footfall is severely reduced, so they may close: so people don't have so much choice, so people don't go there. It is the start of the slippery spiral... It's also not good for the lift company.

Generally the hotel chains and resorts talk about RevPAR - revenue per available room - and the higher it is, the more you are 'sweating the asset', and the better for all concerned.
snow report
Arctic Roll, thank you for your excellent explanation.
I remember boredsurfin telling me that the new Montalbert Gondola went in on the understanding there would be a lot of new accommodation going up in Montalbert - this is not particularly popular with some of the residents . . .
ski holidays
Looks like skiing right to the door of the shops/restaurants in PC might be a thing of the past

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm#31_10_16

snow report
No doubt Aime 2000 also looked impressive in the brochures back in the 1960s. That is the problem with innovative architecture. It tends to date quite quickly and eventually the technical problems are forgotten and it is re discovered by a younger generation.
ski holidays
@ukredsox, Yep!
Quote:
The Mayor of La Plagne Tarentaise has invested more than 1 million € to requalify the snow front in Plagne Centre. Work began in September and should be completed in late November. They have a double challenge: security and aesthetics. Safety first, since it is finally clear separation of pedestrian areas and skiers to the snow front of the buildings.

details http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm#31_10_16
latest report
boredsurfin, wonderful thing Google Translation wink
ski holidays
@Jonpim, Yep Very Happy
snow conditions
Nice piece on La Plagne in the Huffington Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/william-gray/snow-contest-why-la-plagn_b_12418258.html?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy