Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
ukredsox wrote:
Could go straight from pistes closed due to grass/ice to pistes closed due to loose snow.

'Loose snow'? You dont' work for the PR team in National Rail do you wink Laughing NehNeh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's been snowing lightly to moderately all day. Maybe about 4 to 5 cms of fresh snow at 1250 metres and it is starting to look like a winter resort again

The forecast for the next few days looks promising so anybody coming out this weekend should have good conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crispyapplepie wrote:
Forecast looking promising for new snow this week starting tomorrow so fingers crossed the whole region gets a good sprinkle. If anyone reading this is currently in la plagne can you confirm after tomorrow Tuesday 10th if the snow drops at all and what improvements it's made.

Hereby I confirm that the snow haz arrived. I haven't been to pistes myself today, but friends enjoyed riding today although visibility was quite poor. More snow coming this week, with Thu/Fri having the biggest bit, according to the forecast at least.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anybody going out Saturday just feck off, we in the office don't want to know alright.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Skullie Skullie Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@thefatcontroller, Isn't that produced by a loose snow cannon?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
elenius3 wrote:
Crispyapplepie wrote:
Forecast looking promising for new snow this week starting tomorrow so fingers crossed the whole region gets a good sprinkle. If anyone reading this is currently in la plagne can you confirm after tomorrow Tuesday 10th if the snow drops at all and what improvements it's made.

Hereby I confirm that the snow haz arrived. I haven't been to pistes myself today, but friends enjoyed riding today although visibility was quite poor. More snow coming this week, with Thu/Fri having the biggest bit, according to the forecast at least.

@elenius3 thanks fo the update, I'd seen the forecast for later in the week and it's looking promising. Looks like we could of timed this trip to perfection. Fingers crossed. (Gotta say though I was worried ha)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll be checking this thread with anticipation over the next few days, we're thinking about a cheeky last minute (cheap) trip to La Plagne on the 23rd Jan.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing heavily in Plan Soleile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Johnnyseven wrote:
I'll be checking this thread with anticipation over the next few days, we're thinking about a cheeky last minute (cheap) trip to La Plagne on the 23rd Jan.

There are loads of cheap deals for that week currently on offer, I've seen them as low as £200. Sc pp Razz
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Champagny en Vanoise--- its still raining down here in the village. Rain since approx 17:00hrs and its now past midnight. Very warm out there. Hopefully its a lot colder up there on the mountain.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
About 35 cm on our balcony this morning and still snowing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Low lifts opened for 15 mins this morning out of Montchavin, now all closed at 10am. A light breeze seems to be the reason. Completely calm here at base, so can't understand that one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@flicky, This is so the staff can enjoy first tracks all day Toofy Grin wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crispyapplepie wrote:
Johnnyseven wrote:

There are loads of cheap deals for that week currently on offer, I've seen them as low as £200. Sc pp Razz

Yep, I have my eye on a few.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Johnnyseven wrote:
Crispyapplepie wrote:
Johnnyseven wrote:

Yep, I have my eye on a few.

Ha I bet you have. Although I'd be reaching for my bank card at those prices. Is they won't be around long after this snow fall 👍
ski holidays
I agree, i'm hoping to book today/tomorrow before someone gets there first.
ski holidays
So with all this recent snow and as I understand it it's still falling. Can anyone here explain to me why bergflex are showing less than a 3rd of the resort open? Is this true or just old data? I'd of thought at least 70% would be open.....

http://www.bergfex.com/la-plagne/schneebericht/
ski holidays
@Crispyapplepie, After such a storm which is continuing, avi blasting and securing and posting the runs will take a couple of days, many of the closed runs do not have the poles down the sides etc etc
meantime...
Use this - much more accurate
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=la-plagne&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=en

and local weather
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 13-01-17 22:49; edited 3 times in total
snow report
I think the limited opening was because of bad weather and strongs winds. I reckon this site provides the best overview of what's open or closed, and why: http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=la-plagne&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=en

My wife and I are heading to La Plagne on 29th Jan and then to Val D'Isere on 4th March. So I keep an eye on reports from V d'I as well and this evening Steve Angus, ski instructor and daily blogger described the awful conditions today. Here are some extracts from his report which describes the extreme conditions. I expect La Plagne would have been similar. Hopefully with a lot of work and grooming they will be able to open a lot of runs that haven't been open so far this season.

"Well the snow and wind (not too bad initially started rolling in late yesterday) and by this morning there was a good 30cm out there although the wind was creating havoc so in some places it was drifting a lot more.......
I was heartened at breakfast time to hear the Gasex's going off (remotely activated from down in town) but the pisteurs (it soon back apparent) could not make it to the catex stations because of the wind was so intense. I heard that there had been 250km/h winds at the top of the Grand Motte so obviously it was less windy lower down but still it was raging out there.......
There was very little open initially and the wind was going from OK to dreadful within the space of a few seconds......
I have been in this industry and teaching for over 20 Winter seasons now and 11 winters teaching in Val and I have NEVER been in the situation where, we were confined to just the Savonettes (ie the nursery slopes)."
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
@Crispyapplepie, After such a storm which is continuing, avi blasting and securing and posting the runs will take a couple of days, many of the closed runs do not have the poles down the sides etc etc
meantime...
Use this - much more accurate
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=la-plagne&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=en

and local weather
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210

Thankyou 👍
latest report
Properly chucking it down the last couple of days with two more days forecast! Woohoooo Smile
ski holidays
I'll be coming out on saturday, got a killer deal, so hopefully the snow stays!
latest report
Check out the photos I just posted in the Jan 2017 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page for some great powder we found yesterday over on the La Plagne side. Enjoy! https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/
latest report
Well, what a change to December!
December 22: cold but skiing very restricted - only one piste down from Arpette, lots of lower runs stips of white among brown or green.
Yesterday Paris was real chilly (compared to London), and there was slim snow on the ground by Macon. Coming into Chambery in bright sunshine it all looked wonderfully Christmassy. Don't remember seeing snow from the train that far out for a long time.
Up here in Plagne 1800 it now looks like a proper skiing resort, complete with slippy roads. And a general air of joy in La Cantine.
A very different resort.
Will be going out with every layer i can cram on under my jacket and full face protection.
But first: porridge snowHead
snow report
@Jonpim, Enjoy, long may the porridge be in your breakfast bowl and not on the slopes ❄️☃ snowHead
latest report
So, young man: is it Hampshire or Montalbert?

And how are you chaletgirl? Ventured out on skis yet?
snow report
@Jonpim, Sadly Hants now until mid March ⛷🎿❄️
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
So, young man: is it Hampshire or Montalbert?

And how are you chaletgirl? Ventured out on skis yet?

Yup - started skiing last week. Very very happy that my knees seem to be coping (driving for work is worse on them than the skiing LOL)

Off to the lift pass office in a mo as the First Tracks was cancelled last week so am hoping I can use that ticket for tomorrow instead Smile

And I've tested a pair of on piste skis (mine are six years old so got to be out of date, right??!) - going back to the shop today to get a longer pair to try, then might buy my first ever pair of new skis Laughing Woohoo snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chaletgirl, great news you are back on skis - best of luck with your hunt for the perfect new ski. Always tricky. Very sensible to try before you buy.
We're in Tignes for the week - back in La Plagne on Saturday. We must try and meet up on the slopes, or maybe the Bobsleigh Pub? (we know the owner and owe her a visit).

boredsurfin, pity. Hants piste conditions not too good just now i understand.
We're back out in March after a February break - would be good to meet up.
snow report
@Jonpim, We are there from March 12th ...
snow report
Arriving to La Plagne 1800 this weekend, what are the current conditions like? I'm expecting icy... Crying or Very sad
latest report
After some resort info. As @JordanJSY, says above, any update on conditions?

anything off piste or is that not looking pretty? How are the main slopes holding up?

Most importantly am I hiring skis or am I bringing mine along? Any bases taking a hammering ......
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
chaletgirl, great news you are back on skis - best of luck with your hunt for the perfect new ski. Always tricky. Very sensible to try before you buy.
We're in Tignes for the week - back in La Plagne on Saturday. We must try and meet up on the slopes, or maybe the Bobsleigh Pub? (we know the owner and owe her a visit).

Give me a shout. Would be ace to meet up Smile
snow report
Has anyone used transfers to get up to La Plagne from Aime and then back to Bourg for travellers on the Eurostar and would recommend transfer firms?

This is for two non-skiing passengers who are joining us when we arrive on 18th Feb so just finalising the remaining bits!

Any help gratefully received!
snow conditions
@larkim, I think Chalet Girl is a transfer driver this season, so hopefully can give up to the minute info...
snow report
@JordanJSY - Yes it is icy - definite freeze/thaw conditions.. We're out here at the moment and they really could do with some more snow there are brown patches showing through in places. Today though the wind has got up and there have been a few flakes in the air but nothing substantial by any stretch. Mont Blanc was shrouded in cloud this morning which is apparently a good sign that snow is on the way.

Below the tree line down to Montchavin the snow is in reasonable condition and over towards Champagny we found some lovely soft snow yesterday.

Have a great time Smile
snow report
larkim wrote:
Has anyone used transfers to get up to La Plagne from Aime and then back to Bourg for travellers on the Eurostar and would recommend transfer firms?

This is for two non-skiing passengers who are joining us when we arrive on 18th Feb so just finalising the remaining bits!

I'll ask about. To be honest, taxi might be the best way as most transfer co's are going to the airport and back so less likely to do the short stuff (I doubt my boss would pick up Sad )

Gimme a day and I'll pop it onto the Transfers page and see what suggestions come up

Just in case anyone is interested, PM me the timings and return date?

x
latest report
larkim wrote:

Ok, first back is a guy I've known for years in resort - try emailing: info@spiralcab.com

Laurent says it depends on the dates but its the sort of thing they do.

If I get any more, I'll pass on the details
latest report
also try - anna@spitting-feathers.com - they are based in Bellecote so might be a better option?
snow report
Quote:

@JordanJSY - Yes it is icy - definite freeze/thaw conditions.. We're out here at the moment and they really could do with some more snow there are brown patches showing through in places. Today though the wind has got up and there have been a few flakes in the air but nothing substantial by any stretch. Mont Blanc was shrouded in cloud this morning which is apparently a good sign that snow is on the way.

Below the tree line down to Montchavin the snow is in reasonable condition and over towards Champagny we found some lovely soft snow yesterday.

Have a great time

Thanks for that update, let's keep fingers crossed for some snow! Enjoy the rest of your trip
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy