Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
A few November snow pics on our blog here: http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/about/blog

Sorry to link to our site but I can never make the photos upload here - please don't everyone throw spam at me!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
divekris wrote:
Our first trip La Plagne (well Belle Plagne) taking wife and her two kids (they have 2 weeks of skiing under their belts). Staying at the Hotel Turquoise which seemed to have a decent ski in/ out look to it!! Any tips, hints, decent blues to take them all out on. Going out on Dec 27th for a week. Kids are just about old enough to allow us adults a sneaky few beers on our own so any tips on the après be good to have. Very Happy Very Happy

Good news, loads of blues in the main centres of La Plagne.
Bad news, not a lot of Apres in Belle Plagne

Have a look at www.perso-laplagne.fr for in depth info on the whole area
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snow and Sunshine, Haven't you a 'post a picture' button just below where you enter your text? it's a brown background with white text next to the New Topic and Post Reply buttons on mine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, realised that having the kids with us wouldn't allow us to hit the heady heights we did at the Goatstall in Hinterglemm a few years back
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Haven't you a 'post a picture' button just below where you enter your text? it's a brown background with white text next to the New Topic and Post Reply buttons on mine.

Yes, I do. Whenever I've tried before (although to be fair I didn't try today) I click post a picture and then upload to the thingy. And then it gives an error message and says it can't upload. In snowheads defence I am pretty useless at all things technological so it's more likely to be something I'm doing wrong with the photos that with the forum.
Any suggestions?
Edited to say the photos are saved on a server and not on my comp. Could that make a difference?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I usually upload from my computer and maybe occasionally from a smartphone and that seems to work. Never tried loading from a server so that could well be the problem.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow and Sunshine, your super pictures upload just fine:

Put [img]and[/img] either side of your image address, and hey presto!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, divekris, the Hotel Turquoise.
It used to be a wonderful refuge where they allowed non-residents to eat sandwiches in the bar area and hot chocky cost just €2.
The
video suggests Neilson have ponced it up and i rather doubt the old rules apply.

It certainly is Ski-in-ski-out, but since they took the oh-so-slow Belle Plagne beginners chair away, you now have to ski down to Bellecote to get anywhere
(unless you want to walk up hill to the Carpet)
You can easily spend your time just going from Blue to Blue without any hitches: i suggest starting with the Arpette lift out of Bellecote and trying all 4 ways down.
Avoid the enticing silver-white Arpette restaurant unless you are feeling particularly rich.

If you have kids, then so-called Apres Ski is a thing of the past for another 10 years or so.
And, "Apres Ski" is very over-rated anyway: after reading your kids a bedtime story, you would do much better enjoying your wife than a pint.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Jonpim, appreciate the feedback on what blues to tackle first. And yes I agree re the Apres, will cut and paste your comments to my wife. She will like that
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just on the topic of restaurants, where is a good lunchtime stop? Straightforward fayre for the kids (Frites, hot choc etc). We will back at the hotel for afternoon tea/ cakes so something easy at lunch
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@divekris, A bit more info on Apres (nightlife or lack of it) here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124514&highlight= and restaurants here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34049&start=80
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks skichampcouk, much appreciated.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
divekris wrote:
Just on the topic of restaurants, where is a good lunchtime stop? Straightforward fayre for the kids (Frites, hot choc etc). We will back at the hotel for afternoon tea/ cakes so something easy at lunch

I stay over in Plagne Villages, so at lunch time I'm normally either in Bellecote or Plagne Centre

Croq Neige in PC is one of my regular lunch stops. Definitely a "straightforward" place.

Up on the slopes, I'd recommend La Bergerie** up above PV or Le Chalet de Trieuse on the piste back to Bellecote from PV/PS side

(** do not, I repeat, do not, get talked into drinking the amphibian juice)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
....as for the restaurant on the Arpette up above BP, that's knonw to my group as "The Yacht Club" both for how it looks and the prices charged. Having said that, its a nice place
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks, that's great...cutting and pasting all the feedback into a handy aide memoire to take out on the slopes with me
snow report
ukredsox, "The Yacht Club".
I like it! Excellent.
Think we might borrow your name from now on. snowHead
ski holidays
divekris, if weather is nice, for Frites and Hot Chocky then the outdoor booth and deckchairs beside Roc des Blanchets (Champagny sector) is a good place to stop. Lovely view across to Courchevel. And Champagny sector is all long lazy blues, with the occasional short slightly scary bit so you can feel you've really done some "Proper skiing". snowHead
ski holidays
@Jonpim, Except Bosses, Mont de la Guerre, Les Bois, Kamikaze and Hara Kiri of course which can be tricky in places.

Have you noticed on a few of the webcams that they are starting to bash the pistes, seems to have been plenty of activity on the Roche de Mio webcam. Looks promising for a good start to the season.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 16-11-16 8:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
ah! another excuse to post the Loo with a view Toofy Grin
Quote:
Borselier in Champagny probably my personal favourite lunch spot continues in the same vein, new staff outfits this year and a few minor tweaks to the menu, always check out the Plat du jour we had an excellent Pork tenderloin ...
and of course The Loo with a view

PS. it's the loo upstairs not the downstairs ones.
Also on a sunny day you can see Courchevel and La Tania from the Terrace, the main runway at Courchevel Altiport is easily spotted.
snow conditions

Bon Vie November 2016
Testing the photo
ski holidays
Sorry to derail the thread - I think it is the fact they are on our server. Can everyone see the picture above? If so problem solved and I can stop linking to our blog!
snow report
Quote:

Have you noticed on a few of the webcams that they are starting to bash the pistes, seems to have been plenty of activity on the Roche de Mio webcam. Looks promising for a good start to the season.

Yup, and some of the snow cannons at Plagne Center level going yesterday - not sure if they are testing them or trying to add to the base. Looks set for an amazing season!
ski holidays
skichampcouk, well spotted the Roche de Mio up and running.
Now we just need to Grand Rochette one as well (still locked in April)

And totally agree with boredsurfin about Borselier.
On a good weather day there are lovely views. On grotty day you can site inside by the fire, or go upstairs to Loo-with-a-view level and take over the cozy sofa area.
Hot chocky in a large bowl, and doughnuts for a treat.
Will be interested to see their new outfit.
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
divekris, if weather is nice, for Frites and Hot Chocky then the outdoor booth and deckchairs beside Roc des Blanchets (Champagny sector) is a good place to stop. Lovely view across to Courchevel. And Champagny sector is all long lazy blues, with the occasional short slightly scary bit so you can feel you've really done some "Proper skiing". snowHead

Thanks, will make an effort to get there
latest report
@Snow and Sunshine, right click on the image wherever it is hosted and click copy image address (or whatever the windows equivalent is), then simply post that between [img] and [/img] without any spaces.

You can do that with photos pretty much wherever they are on the web, like Facebook or your own site (Instagram and some other sites involve more complicated 'inspect element' stuff to find the address), so for your photo above:

If you quote this post you'll be able to see the image code in text form to see what it should look like.
latest report
Thanks @clarky999,

Unfortunately that doesn't work with our internal server tho - I think cos its password protected or something - I get the same error message as when i try to upload.

The pic above i saved to my comp and then uploaded so I think thats the way to go. . . .
latest report
Sorry to derail the thread guys. . . .back to talking about the snow!
snow report
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
Sorry to derail the thread - I think it is the fact they are on our server. Can everyone see the picture above? If so problem solved and I can stop linking to our blog!

But I like reading your blog ..... snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plagne Centre - looks like some of the new walkway is going to be heated!! Shocked

Watching the driver get the lorry close enough to get the boom under the building then drive it all closer ready to pour the concrete was interesting Smile

But - the view from my window is still pretty impressive!!

And the snow earlier in the week was still awesome - I used to run a chalet down this track in my first season. Middle track, just above 1800

Looking very much like more snow is due any minute Smile
snow report
chaletgirl, Middle track in 1800?
Which company was that? Skibug?

Your new home in Plagne Centre looks lovely - about the same size as our place in 1800, and we cope with 2 of us.
But your view is better snowHead
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
chaletgirl, Middle track in 1800?
Which company was that? Skibug?

Your new home in Plagne Centre looks lovely - about the same size as our place in 1800, and we cope with 2 of us.
But your view is better snowHead

LOL, I just need to get some of the plans I've made into reality, then the storage issues are solved and there'll be room for visitors!! LOL

I worked for SkiBeat for three seasons. First season I had Chalet Laponia (the first one along middle track) which looks like a gingerbread house when covered in snow!! And I lived in a place next door to Le Petit Chaperone Rouge Shocked I lost a shedload of weight that year! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Then had one of the Arpette Chalets in the middle of 1800 and in the last season, Chalet Ingrid on the road up to Centre. That last season was massive walking too Smile

Let me know when you guys are in 1800?
snow report
So, chaletgirl, are you still a chaletgirl, or are you now retired?
(That walk from Chaperone Rouge to Laponia would indeed have worn you out)
We're out in dribs and drabs: a week before Christmas, end of January into Feb, and then most of March.
Your job meantime is to stand out there on the top of Grand Rochette with your magic staff and declare to any Foehn winds "You shall not pass!"
snow conditions
Quote:

But I like reading your blog ..... snowHead

Thank you Happy
latest report
Stunning photos chaletgirl!
latest report
Hello Snowheads, i was hoping for some advice.

Visiting La plane on the 7th and have purchased a ski pass and ski hire for my girlfriend, we have had the great news that she is pregnant so we now have a unwanted ski pass and ski hire.

I have contacted our operator who have said that the names will be on the ski pass, would this be correct? I would have liked to try and sell them on but doesn't look good.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
So, chaletgirl, are you still a chaletgirl, or are you now retired?
(That walk from Chaperone Rouge to Laponia would indeed have worn you out)
We're out in dribs and drabs: a week before Christmas, end of January into Feb, and then most of March.

I'm retired from Chalet hosting. I loved looking after people and cooking but cleaning up after slobs too many weeks was rubbish. And the money wasn't ideal! I'm doing transfer driving this winter for a friend, so proper money on a French contract Smile Smile

Give me a shout, would be nice to meet some friendly people Smile

Jonpim wrote:
Your job meantime is to stand out there on the top of Grand Rochette with your magic staff and declare to any Foehn winds "You shall not pass!"

Seriously, if I could actually get myself to the top of the Grand Rochette I'd do a snow dance for you!! LOL But I'll have to stave off the Foehn winds from here (Centre)
latest report
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
Stunning photos chaletgirl!

Thank you. Still learning how to use the camera Smile But it seems to work in auto fairly well Smile
snow report
@Gareth Green 35, Your operator is quite correct...from www.skipass-laplagne.com/en/
Quote:
INFO
The pass will have your full name on it.
It is non-transferable.
Keep the pass and reload it in the future.

Have you asked the operator? They may not have actually purchased the passes yet, if not can you claim on your holiday or even home insurance?
latest report
Or continue with your skiing plans.
Were you advised to stop skiing?
snow conditions
This !!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy