Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts open Mid October

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm thinking about the possibility of trying to fit in a few days skiing between Fri 14th Oct and Fri 21st Oct in Europe as the OH has agreed to come along. We don't really mind if the slopes are only open for the morning as long as there's activities to do in the afternoon. I've had a look around to see what might be open from some of the French resorts. It seems Tignes will be but the GM isn't really suitable for the OH and L2A appears to only be opening for the half term week.

Can anyone make other suggestions or share previous experiences of trying to do something similar around this time of year?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stubai and Hintertux for sure (open all day), and presumably Sölden, Pitztal, Kaunertal and Kitzsteinhorn too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Tignes will be but the GM isn't really suitable for the OH

I've skied on the GM in October several times, using the very good, and cheap, deal provided by Mountainsun in their chalet hotel at Les Brevieres. They can provide transfers from Geneva, included in the price, as are lift passes.

However, I've always had lessons - the first time arranged through the chalet, more recently with Inside Out Skiing. The weather, at that high altitude, is obviously unpredictable and we've lost a few days to high winds now and then (the entire thing is sometimes shut, or the cable car is not working, which increases pressure on the lower T bars).

Personally, I'd not bother with the GM in October without having lessons, when lapping the same few pistes makes sense. The area is not very big and many pistes are out of bounds, being used for race training.

However, it is gorgeous up there when the sun shines!

When you say "the GM is not suitable" do you mean the difficulty of pistes? The pistes themselves (or the ones we were using, at any rate) are not difficult. Although "glacier skiing" sounds gnarly to the uninitiated actually it's fine - once you get used to the T bars.

It is a bit intimidating when the weather closes in - also a bit intimidating being surrounded by brilliant skiers, half of them under the age of 10, honing their competitive instincts by elbowing other skiers out of the way getting onto the funicular or in the queues for the T bars. wink

The Inside Out "pre season" session this year is 5 - 9 November. http://insideoutskiing.com/holidays/preseason.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Passo Stelvio near Bormio open every day until end of October.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zermatt usually very good in October - we often go.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Tignes will be but the GM isn't really suitable for the OH

When you say "the GM is not suitable" do you mean the difficulty of pistes?

Yeah, i've been there twice and know that the reds and blacks will be too difficult for her at this stage.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Moelltaler Gletscher is also open mid October.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy