Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Versatile park board?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am off to France again for three weeks this year and I wanted to get my own board this time. I am between the Bataleon She-W and the Salomon Gypsy as I really want to progress more in freestyle at the park this season...but I also don't want to limit myself to just that so I'm trying to get a board that will give me air and flex but can handle a bit more on piste as well.

Between those two has anyone heard any pros and cons to either? Or is there another board I've missed that would suit what I'm looking for? From what I've read, both these boards seem like they suit the park but also will be totally fine for regular boarding -- so I guess I'm looking for anyone who has tried them or can recommend?

Thanks! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is it about these boards that draws you to them?

When you say park/freestyle, do you mean kickers? rails? pipe? do you want a board that's good for messing around flatland & general jibbing, too?

I haven't ridden these boards but my OH has a Bataleon Distortia. It's a really nice twin tip and is good for kickers and flatland fun, as well as riding at speed/carving. She doesn't do rails so can't comment there. It doesn't seem that great in the pipe but that is down to her technique, I think wink

The G-W looks a bit stiffer, so will be good on piste, straight airs off kickers (especially off big ones) and in the pipe. If you are looking to start spinning off jumps it may be a bit unforgiving and also a bit stiff for flatland, jibbing and rails.

If you are looking to get into a bit more freestyle, perhaps consider something a bit softer as well. The freestyle will be a lot more fun and it really doesn't compromise the piste riding as much as I thought it would (but might on 50 degree couloirs, though). I learnt the hard way - started with a fairly stiff freestyle board, which was great on piste but a little compromising in freestyle areas. I then got a slightly softer (medium flex) board and it now so much fun but also carves really well (regular and switch). I'm now looking for an even softer jib board because there's a lot of fun to be had there, as well as the park.

Where in France are you going?

Maybe also check out some other boards - Rome, Capita and Never Summer make awesome freestyle boards, too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Like hellboarder said, depends what you mean by freestyle/park...

I've got a super-soft lobster jib board as visit uk snowdomes regularly at home or the park's when I'm away. But it's not limited to just the park, I have fun on and off piste, hitting natural features. It's brilliant on anything but the steepest runs, and I've never felt unsafe at high speeds. If big kickers are your thing, I'd suggest something more medium flex as the jib board can feel a bit unstable on some big landings. The jib board is unbeatable for small spins, buttering and rails though! So don't be too afraid of going for a softer board, or like hellboarder, you might end up looking for a softer one anyway in time Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am looking to buy a board more for bigger kickers, rails, and on the airbag (if it's open). Maybe I should just bring two boards...one cheaper one for trying more jibbing around the park (I do want to get better at that as well) and then one that I would consider to be my main board with less flex that's more all mountain? Like I said I don't want to be pigeonholed to the park my whole three weeks -- I tend to spend 4 hours out at a time so I'd definitely be able to come back and switch boards up 😁
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry forgot to add that I'm going to Tignes Val Claret
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes - with that username I should have guessed wink
I think either of those boards would be good for Tignes and similar areas (not too steep and mainly piste/park).
They should both be OK for a bit of flatland & jibbing, too, even if this is not their main strength. I don't think you'd need a second board, not unless you wanted something super soft or super stiff.

Can you get somewhere to demo boards? That could be useful. I don't know whether Black Cats in Tignes demo boards but might be worth contacting them before you go, so you can demo there (more useful than demoing in a fridge). A friend of mine bought a Bataleon board from them when we were there a couple of years ago and ,being French, may well have Salomon boards, too.

Is there any reason why you have just these 2 boards as possibles - spec or local availability/stockists? Rome Vinyl, Endeavor Boyfriend, DC Telegraph and Bataleon Distortia may also suit your needs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hellboarder wrote:
Tignes ... good for Tignes and similar areas (not too steep and mainly piste/park)....

I guess you mean that there's plenty of low angled stuff if you want it.

It would be incorrect to take away the idea that Tignes/Val d'Isere is at all lacking in steeps, off piste or even bumps.
All of of those are easily accessible to competent riders on suitable equipment.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I just meant the pistes. Of course Tignes does have a lot of great, steep stuff off piste. I wasn't being critical of Tignes, just wasn't discussing a board for that type of riding.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i took a salomon villain last year, playfull enough for the park, yet still went down piste well including some challenging blacks...
totally sucked in moguls and didnt float that well in offpiste powder.. not ssaying buy this board, just give you an idea of what my experience was.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sorry forgot to add, the gypsy and villain are identical on paper.. probably the same other than that graphics
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy