Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl - Christmas 2017 - too late to book?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My family and I just came back from an awesome ski vacation in Alpbach (first week of March). It was our first ski break and the whole family learned to ski there for a week. We have decided to spend this Christmas skiing in Austria and Obergurgl seem to tick all the boxes; snow sure, good for beginners/intermediates, family friendly. I started looking up accommodation at booking.com and obergurgl.com and could not seem to find any accommodation within 10km to the Obergurgl skilift/cable car. Most of the accommodation are at least 30km away and anything closer cost at least Euro400 a night.

My question is, am I late in booking or is it too early hence the dates have not opened up for booking? To put into perspective, I paid Euro90/night for a lovely apartment that is highly regarded and it is 6km from the cable car to the ski area in Alpbach. I appreciate that early March is not peak season and I stand corrected but I thought December is also a less popular time for skiing given the uncertainty of snow level. I don't understand why I am seeing majority accommodation that are available being more than 30km away from the ski area.

Can someone share their thoughts and let me know if I am unrealistic to expect to find Euro200/night accommodation within 10km to skilifts/cable car in Obergurgl for my given dates. Suggestions for other resorts with strong possibility of Dec snow that does not break the bank would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been looking myself and it there is not a lot on booking.com.Its still pretty early and a lot of hotels probably haven't updated their booking system for next winter.Some very popular hotels will be sold out already but try e mailing the places you are interested in.I got some prices for hotels in Champoluc and Murren today just by e mailing the hotels as their rooms were not available online.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@keai7, We booked our accommodation for the 5 days in Obergurgl in the run up to Christmas last year in June. The pension we use were on holiday in May and to be honest don't turn their thoughts to next winter until they get back from their hols.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think it's too early. I think a lot of the hotels do not set their pricing for next season until the current season is over. However, you could always email the hotels directly. I was told by the hotels at Obergurgl, that their regular customers book a year in advance for peak periods eg. book the following Christmas after their last Christmas ski trip. They usually will take the booking but will not confirm until prices of the following season has been set.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I were you I would contact the hotels?apartments direct, https://www.obergurgl.com/en this is a good place to start from.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
what @northantsred said. Direct contact goes a long way in Austria, I've done it a few times in St Anton and a direct email opens up vacancies that don't appear on a search.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brilliant. Thank you all! Will contact the hotels directly
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@keai7, speaking German always helps as well, I use google translate. They might reply in english but the effort is appreciated.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy