Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen in December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I am planning to be in Mayrhofen after Christmas. Clearly the weather and snow levels requires the snow gods to be kind, so I am wondering if anyone was in Mayrhofen in Dec 2014 or Dec 2015 and what the levels of man made snow was like?

Having been to La Plagne for the last two Decembers and being very angry by the lack of use of snow cannons (when temp allows) I am hoping that the Austrians are more likely to turn the cannons on!

Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bennyboy1, Snow cannons will be on as soon as it gets cold enough (and not predicted to get alot warmer) as with all Austrian resorts. So mid November onwards perhaps earlier if it's particularly cold.

I wasn't in Mayrhofen but was in Austria both of those weeks, the last two years has seen a huge contrast in the week between Xmas and New Year. Boxing Day 2014 saw 50-100cm of snow plus more over the next few days and the conditions that week were brilliant, Dec 2015 most of the available snow was man-made, but they do attempt to open as much of the skiing as possible and a great time was still had.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for coming back to me, all good points. Appreciated.

My experience of resorts turning on cannons when temp allows is mixed and each resort acts differently. Budget etc. So I wondered if anyone had been specifically to Mayrhofen so to gauge their willingness to use the cannons.

You Tube clips also helpful so I have looked through those too. Cover looks ok but man made. But videos only tell a bit of the story.

Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What @AthersT, said sounds about right.
Also, Hintertux isn't far away, via a free bus ride, so you're likely to have some nice snow in the vicinity.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good point and we would have a car anyway. My kids are 5&7 so may not be suitable for the youngest, but would make it work.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bennyboy1, Plenty of terrain suitable for kids on tux in December and the free parking if you have the car. As for Mayrhofen, snow cannons go on whenever they get the chance. They will put snow down as much as they can. I have had some good early snow there, last year was one of the worst years I have seen for cover in Mayrhofen in Early December. I was in Tux 6-13 Dec and Mayrhofen was looking, bare, but some of the best early season snow I have had was Mayrhofen too so. Hopefully this years early conditions will be better.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Fattes13, thanks for this info. It's always a lottery but sounds like Mayrhofen will try their best with the cannons!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bennyboy1, you can't beat Ischgl for making the most of the earliest snow and getting as much terrain open as early as possible.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes I like Ischgl and have been there early. But we like the Zillertal generally because the choice of close by resorts is great and other off slope stuff for wife and kids. I just haven't been there in Dec before.

Last year we went to Solden in mid Nov which was great as well although only glaciers open.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy