Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow heads app

Poster: A snowHead
Any signs of an app to use on iPads mobile devices etc?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why do we need an app? I am an Ancient Person with Weak Smartphone Skills and have no problem using Snowheads on my phone (which admittedly is a large one!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you've got an iPhone just have a link on your homepage thingy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I too am ancient, but have a link on the home page of my android phone. I don't feel the need for anything else. Indeed I have an annoying storage problem on my phone (Sony Xperia) which means that I'm not keen to get any new apps.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It would be quite good if Snowheads was on Tapatalk, but I presume there's a good reason why it isn't. Ski Diva used to be on there but they took it off again, I can't remember why.

It's fine using the site on my phone, the only annoying thing is logging in every time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SH needs a smartwatch app for the piste.

And a VR app for apres.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the only annoying thing is logging in every time

I have learnt to get over it; takes seconds.

@Whitegold, Laughing I had to google VR; shows how ancient I really am.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use snowheads almost always on a phone or iPad without any difficulty. There are forum apps around but I don't think they really add anything.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I loaded Tapatalk to access TGR but then just got spammed and had loads of issues with pop-up ads so I binned it. SnowHeads & TGR work just fine on my phone (Galaxy S5). I just keep a web window open for each of them & only have to re-hit the login button every few days.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had the same problems with Tapatalk for TGR and another forum. Binned it for the web versions, plus saves space on your fondlepad.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
If you've got an iPhone just have a link on your homepage thingy.

And it remembers all 5 names and passwords
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

@Whitegold, Laughing I had to google VR; shows how ancient I really am.

So did I and in SH terms I am a youngster.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I try to use SH on my iPhone but can never log in - whenever I try I get 'you have specified an incorrect or inactive username, or an invalid password' yet these are the same combo of name/ password that works fine on desktop or tablet.

Any top tips from anyone how to sort this?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Inboard wrote:
I try to use SH on my iPhone but can never log in - whenever I try I get 'you have specified an incorrect or inactive username, or an invalid password' yet these are the same combo of name/ password that works fine on desktop or tablet.

Any top tips from anyone how to sort this?

Get an android phone. I'll get me coat Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@halfhand, Shocked
snow report
Never had a problem on Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, using IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari etc.
latest report
@Inboard, try using a different browser, chrome for IOS is quite good, or going into settings and clearing your history and website data (being aware you'll lose any cached data for other sites). You do this by going settings, scrolling down to Safari and then selecting "Clear History and Website Data". You can also go into the password section for Safari just above and clear any saved password for the site by selecting it, clicking edit and then delete.

I can use snowheads on my iphone but it looks pants. I believe there are threads on here showing you how to format better but I've just decided to use it as is as its a pain flipping between styles and I've got used to it.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I too have learnt to get over it. Sort of. But I wish I hadn't had to.
snow conditions
One very good thing about SHs is that it appears to make few demands on technology, bandwidth etc. It seems to work very well in situations where fancier formats struggle.
ski holidays
No app please. I have a Window phone which has almost no useful apps available.
snow report
pam w wrote:
One very good thing about SHs is that it appears to make few demands on technology, bandwidth etc. It seems to work very well in situations where fancier formats struggle.
This is not accidental.
SKi resorts are not generally reknowned for their great broadband speeds.
I'm in the middle of France atm, at a motorway service station, sat on the step of the BU5 4 DUB. I've done maybe 10-15 pages on snowHeads and Lloyds Bank still hasn't managed to completely load up their home page rolling eyes

There are one or two benefits an integrated app could bring but they don't tend to be the things most people think about. Reliable, consistent forum access doesn't require any app specific functionality.
Hopefully, the page format is now generally problem free on most screen-sizes for normal forum use*

'sfunny: some folk think snowHeads hasn't changed because it looks more or less the same as it always has - it's taken quite a bit of work, under the hood, to maintain that as the technology by which we access it has changed.

*Always interested to hear if there are issues with any particular pages on any particular screens.
snow report
Quote:

This is not accidental

I didn't think it was, @admin, wink
snow conditions
admin wrote:
'sfunny: some folk think snowHeads hasn't changed because it looks more or less the same as it always has - it's taken quite a bit of work, under the hood, to maintain that as the technology by which we access it has changed.

IT technical explanation: What admin means is that the hamsters have undergone a comprehensive in-depth training programme to learn new skills as required. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Tapatalk Shocked Puzzled

That's a new one for (an old fogey like) me.

Thought it was a hit song by Captain Sensible.... Confused
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Tapatalk Shocked Puzzled

That's a new one for (an old fogey like) me.

Thought it was a hit song by Captain Sensible.... Confused

Noooooooo! I thought I had managed to expunge that from my memory. Arrrrrggggghhh!
ski holidays

Here's one of the happy workers.
ski holidays
I must say, I agree with not needing an app. Yeah the formatting isn't great on IOS but the content is the same and that's what I'm here for. I might not post much but I'm on this site pretty much day and night. I've got sites I used to frequent all the time, hotukdeals, and once they released an app it was like Meh...

I can't say for me an app would bring anything and I personally really don't like tapatalk, maybe I need to give it more time.

If anything a different skin for mobile would be good where it shifts the date and poster to inline with the posts but thats pretty minor. I totally can appreciate the time admin and co must put into just making this place tick and keeping it secure so changes like that would be massive.
ski holidays
I much prefer Tapatalk over Chrome to access forums on my phone. Most of the forums I look at regularly are on there. I know I've discussed this briefly with you admin so apologies for repeating myself.

Night mode. This is probably the biggie for me. Even with brightness on minimum Mrs Hound complains about how bright Snowheads is when I'm reading about snow in the middle of the night in the middle of the summer.

User definable headings. Forums, Timeline, Unread, Particpated are mine and make for really quick navigation. I hardly ever use the Forums one.

User definable notifications. If someone quotes me or responds to a thread I started I get a notification on my phone and one swipe plus one press will take me straight there.

Very straight forward photo posting. Tapatalk will host a correctly sized pic from my phone in about 3 presses.

Of the the forums I use that aren't on there this is by far the best and the above are really just minor inconveniences that don't detract from my enjoyment of Snowheads.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snow Hound, some phones have a night mode (iOS does now) and really this should be set on the device not the site.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@Snow Hound, some phones have a night mode (iOS does now) and really this should be set on the device not the site.

This maybe the only real benefit iOS has over Android.
ski holidays
@Snow Hound, Google suggests that android does have it...
ski holidays
I've got a 'blue light shield' mode on my android, for reading at night. It's nice, does make a difference.
latest report
Or download the "night mode" app by Bruno Barao which is very good: it applies adjustable dark filters over the screen which is much dimmer than the minimum brightness setting
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@Snow Hound, Google suggests that android does have it...

It's never been quite right. Its come and gone and at present my phone can't run the latest version of Android so no night mode. I've tried many different things including filters and browsers with night mode. None of them have worked as well for me as Tapatalk.
latest report
My Android phone enables me to configure my own night mode.
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
No app please. I have a Window phone which has almost no useful apps available.

Could be the chance you need to get an iPhone. Apps work very well with that.
snow conditions
admin wrote:

I had noticed that the duct tape holding the forum together was looking a little more classy. Have you started getting it from Waitrose?
ski holidays
admin wrote:
pam w wrote:
This is not accidental.
SKi resorts are not generally reknowned for their great broadband speeds.
I'm in the middle of France atm, at a motorway service station, sat on the step of the BU5 4 DUB. I've done maybe 10-15 pages on snowHeads and Lloyds Bank still hasn't managed to completely load up their home page rolling eyes

There are one or two benefits an integrated app could bring but they don't tend to be the things most people think about. Reliable, consistent forum access doesn't require any app specific functionality.
Hopefully, the page format is now generally problem free on most screen-sizes for normal forum use*

*Always interested to hear if there are issues with any particular pages on any particular screens.

+10

Right - KISS. snowHead
ski holidays
Hyst, exactly.

Others who may be newer to the site - bear in mind that sH first came about in the days of dial up connections (remember them....???) and was designed to work as well as possible as a replacement for the clanky old SCGB forums under that technology. Things other than the forums have been much later additions.

It's been enhanced and modified many times since - but the look-and-feel of the forums has not changed much. No avatars for example.

If you were starting sH tomorrow, you might do it differently but we are where we are and most folks are happy with it.
latest report
@Dubaian, I am old enough to remember - even punchcards in my time! Did not know SH at that time. but have grown to love it.
No need for new sells gadgets all the time Madeye-Smiley - SH sells itself.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy