Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saltzburg car rental

Poster: A snowHead
Recommendations? I like to stay away from the big international operators as in my experience I have always got more cost effective rentals from smaller local operators. But I have never rented in Austria.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rumdiary, Look at a broker such as autoeurope and pick from there.

All of the majors are located at Salzburg airport on the ground floor of the multistorey car park opposite arrivals. The only 'local' firm seems to be Buchbinder, who also trade as Megadrive and also manage the Enterprise bookings. I usually end up with them as the cheapest and have never had issues.

Be aware that if you are driving across the 'German Corner' to get to Zell am See, Saalbach, Kitzbühel etc you need to declare this at desk and will likely be charged about €10 one-off for German insurance.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same as @quinton, used Hertz in the past from Salzburg, they were fine. I think we booked with Megadrive last time, they were good too and came in a lot cheaper than Hertz.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
excellent. €10 euro shouldn't break the bank. Will have a look at them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Buchbinder
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Buchbinder...but the cross border charges can be more than €10.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last time I used Buchbinder they waived the €10 charge because the queue was so looooooong to get the car keys.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have always booked via www.holidayautos.com or www.skyscanner.net and got rock bottom prices. But make sure you read the small print; and make REALLY SURE you check the contract at the airport they make you sign, to ensure it's the same as what you agreed online.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was scammed, the only word to describe it, for 400 Euros by Megadrive at Innsbruck Airport. I booked through Auto-Europe and after many emails and almost nil response, I gave up. Auto-Europe are not U.K. based and I was advised by travel media that it would be pointless to pursue through the U.K. courts as Auto-Europe could not be brought to account, same applied to Megadrive. Megadrive were under investigation by the Austrian authorities for trading irregularities, at some airports it trades under different brands such as Buchbinder so bad is it's reputation. I have never used Auto-europe since. I use only U.K. based companies such as Holiday Autos, they offer just as competitive prices and are U.K. based so if anything goes wrong they are within reach of the courts and your consumer rights.
As for my experience with Auto Europe and Megadrive I posted the full details on this forum some time ago. Both these companies have some appalling reviews. This was supported by the travel media. My recommendation is avoid "off airport" companies and stick to the major brands, especially in the latin countries.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidthornton, Buchbinder is on airport at salzburg
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So! It's still a "rogue" outfit.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use sixt wherever possible, always found them consistant and helpful.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always use Auto Europe. I found them to be super helpful when I had to change a booking recently. Normally I get Enterprise, Alamo or Inter-rent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bob, +1 for Sixt. Used them in LA as well.

Going direct to their website is the same price as via the brokers like Holiday Autos etc. And don't forget to use www.quidco.com to get your 8% cash back.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidthornton, we had this discussion on your other thread. I and many others here have had absolutely no problem. I use them 4 or 5 times a year
snow report
The point is that I was a victim of a fraudulent transaction, the photo used to support their charge had been photoshopped and they stupidly had the photo dated two days before I returned the car to Innsbruck Airport. If Megadrive and Auto europe had been U.K. based they would have been subject to a fraud charge. I was supported in this by a national publication. As I said previously, some people might have rented from Megadrive and, no doubt Auto europe, without a hitch. They were lucky. Megadrive have appalling reviews on other forum such as Tripadvisor. I have rented cars in many countries worldwide several times a year, on every continent bare Antarctica, I know what I am talking about.
I was not out of pocket because I had insurance for car hire to cover excess charges, but this incident was so blatant and criminal that I pursued it as far as I could before resorting to the insurance. Another recommendation is to take out excess car hire insurance.
snow conditions
Europcar tried it on with me once, but Auto Europe have always been OK to good. They even let me off some windscreen stone chip damage once.
ski holidays
@davidthornton, the last 2 times I rented with Buchbinder I had wheel hub damage...Not charged for. I have insurance so I'm not bothered if I get charged. I have only ever been charged...and indeed had a attempted rip off which failed...Was with one of the big companies.

I accept you had a bad experience but the way you post you suggest that a good experience is not possible...and clearly it is.
snow report
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190410-i146-k5295680-o10-Car_Rental_Megadrive-Austria.html
There are several more on Megadrive's appalling business practices. Enough said.
snow conditions
@davidthornton, enough said? Good.
ski holidays
Useful thread, I'll be hiring in Salzurg to drive to Zell Am See in March. As I've never hired a car (or driven) in Europe any tips? Apart from drive on the right!
When is best to order? Any gotchas to watch out for? (I picked up on the charge for cutting through Germany - which we will be doing). Likely to be an 8 day hire as doing an extra night in Salzburg on the way back.
ski holidays
If you drive through a tunnel make sure you drop to the correct speed limit straight away. Some of the cameras are pretty close to the signs signifying a change to a lower limit.
snow report
@davidthornton, buchbinder is a franchise, Megadrive is partnered with Enterprise.

Your experience is most probably on a completely local level.
We have had many guests rent from Buchbinder at Salzburg and not have any problems.
We have also had guests that have had problems from other rental companies (but mainly out of Munich and not Salzburg).

I appreciate your cathartic response to an incident that didn't seem to put you out of pocket due to your insurance but such a broad and blanket statement is incorrect.

I've got a shite review on tripadvisor... and I know the real reason why... do you?
ski holidays
My last few trips to Austria, including a trip out of Salzburg Airport, I have used Buchbinder and they have been absolutely fine. Because of this I now tend to opt for them now in Germany/Austria as they haven't caused me any issues. The last few times I have however purchased excess insurance independently via rentalcars.com, check24.de or autoseurope and this has proved to be much cheaper than the full insurance purchased directly at the airport, which seems to be anything between 12-20 euro per day extra.

Hertz however were awful. They threw the car at us, told us not to worry when we went back to say there was a couple extra dents not noted on the check-out form (we still insisted they added them, much to their huffing and puffing). They then tried to claim on return a dent on the car was from us, and even though we were adamant it wasn't, it took about 45 minutes to sort the issue again. They soon realised when going back through their records that it had already been there and even recorded. Won't been using them again. Wouldn't mind, but they weren't even the cheapest.
snow report
I use Buchbinder/megadrive at Salzburg at least 3 times a year, so 30-40 times over the last 10 years. Never had any problems, as long as you know the ropes (which apply to any rental company).

For @Tubaski,'s benefit;

Use a broker such as autoeurope to check prices. (They do actually have a UK office and I've found them helpful when I've had questions re T&Cs on various rentals). Even if you decide to book direct with the actual rental co. you at least have a good idea of prices.

Take out excess insurance with a company such as insurance4carhire - it is far cheaper than the excess insurance that you'll be offered by the rental desk.

Take photos all around the car when you pick up. Your smartphone will put a date stamp and location on the photos should you need the evidence. Look at the 'damage form' that you'll get from the rental desk. If any damage is on the car but not noted on the form, go back to the desk and get it amended. I was once offered a filthy, dented car by one rental co, which I rejected outright as it looked as though it had been rallying and I had no confidence that the motor and brakes weren't also wrecked.

Reverse procedure for returning the car. Take photos. To avoid the 'petrol top-up' rip off, fill up as close to the airport as possible and keep the receipt as proof. Note the mileage. (For returning to Salzburg from Zell, there is a discount tank just after the Austrian border, near the Mozartkugel factory, or a service station just before the airport).
latest report
@quinton, thanks!
snow conditions
@quinton, Excellent advice. I couple of extra points I do: Email your pick up photos to the rental company before you even start the car — that way they can never argue about the time/date etc. Also, photograph the millage at the start and end as well.
ski holidays
For Salzburg Auto-Europe or Lastminute.com usually book you with Megadrive, Buchbinder or Budget and I have never had problems over the last 4 years of using this booking method at least 5 times each year. It is a really easy and honest group of people at this Airport unlike some places that I have been to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was wondering if anyone on here had been through the same problem as myself:-
Family vacation to Altenmarkt in March of this year. Flew into Salzburg, hired a car through Expedia which in turn was then through Megadrive/Buchbinder. At no point in the booking process or whilst signing the rental agreement at the point of collection, was I made aware I had to personally purchase a vignette to travel down the A10 to Altenmarkt.
I have hired cars across Austria and several times from Salzburg Airport.
As I say this was back in March, then Saturday morning 22/09, I receive a letter through my door from the Salzburg government/Austrian Police I have a €300 fine because my car was not displaying a vignette.
Does anybody on here have any similar stories or been in the same situation.
What should I do?
Thanks
Andy
snow conditions
@Redman77, i hire loads from them at Salzburg. The car always has a vignette. Last new year it expired on 31st December and we were travelling on 1st Jan. Didn't notice till we set off. Told buchbinder.. they said it was their responsibility if there were was any fines. Contact them
ski holidays
I have a car booked for Feb from Salzburg and will be taking that road. Will be watching this with interest.
latest report
@NickyJ, it will have an annual vignette. Check the wind screen before you set off
latest report
@holidayloverxx, excellent thanks (I will also google for a picture of what one looks like to I know what I am looking for Happy)
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Redman77, i hire loads from them at Salzburg. The car always has a vignette. Last new year it expired on 31st December and we were travelling on 1st Jan. Didn't notice till we set off. Told buchbinder.. they said it was their responsibility if there were was any fines. Contact them

Thanks @holidayloverxx, I was always under the assumption that they always came with a pre-payed vignette. I have never been required to purchase my own one, and like yourself have hired several times (even from Megadrive).
I will be mailing Megadrive and the police to see what the situation is
snow conditions
Redman77 wrote:
At no point in the booking process or whilst signing the rental agreement at the point of collection, was I made aware I had to personally purchase a vignette to travel down the A10 to Altenmarkt.

I guess that is not the hirer responsibility to make sure you have one.
So chances are it is your responsibility to make sure you have one
ski holidays
@Redman77, did you notice if there was one one the wind screen. It might have expired. Megadrive will have records
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
Redman77 wrote:
At no point in the booking process or whilst signing the rental agreement at the point of collection, was I made aware I had to personally purchase a vignette to travel down the A10 to Altenmarkt.

I guess that is not the hirer responsibility to make sure you have one.
So chances are it is your responsibility to make sure you have one

Agreed...the rental company doesn't know if you will be motorway driving....but cars are supplied with vignettes. I reckon it expired
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Redman77, did you notice if there was one one the wind screen. It might have expired. Megadrive will have records

@holidayloverxx
I didn’t notice one in the windscreen tbh, so I suppose that I am partially to blame, but I made the lady aware of my destination, she still did not mention I would need a vignette.
I have also been informed that the newer cars have a chip in the number plate, to which I would not be able to tell either way as to one having a valid one or not. System is a little bit flawed.
ski holidays
@Redman77, dunno about chips in number plates but you can get electronic vignettes now so if rental companies go down that route I agree you wouldn't know.

You don't 'have' to take the motorway to get to Altenmarkt. I suggest it wasn't mentioned because the lady woukd have expected the car to have a valid vignette as usual
ski holidays
Don't think it's a chip in the number plate, just a register of numberplates that are assigned to a digital vignette.
There's an online freely searchable database iirc to check if a car has a digital vignette.

Perhaps the car rented out was not an Austrian registered one, but German? Then the most it'd have is the remainder of a 10-day vignette sticker.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy