Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New lift link les houches/St gervais?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,
Anyone heard of any rumours of a ski lift linking St gervais and les houches?
I'm in the process of buying a bolt hole around there, love chamonix but prefer more family orientated and more extensive slopes, ie St gervais, but would seriously look at Les Houches if a link is put in?
There are still rumours linking St gervais with les contamines. That would be great too....
Anyone with their ears to the ground?
Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best to email the lift companies, and/or contact them via they Facebook page etc. Same goes for the resort operators. I have always found them very responsive, but in relation to other resorts, not the ones you mention.

This is a good site for ski lift info; and there are not mentions of any new lifts.

http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/megevesaint-gervais/ski-lifts/

http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/les-houches-prarionbellevue-chamonix/ski-lifts/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It has been rumoured for a long time. As long as I can recall. But then, for a few years LHs wasn't even on the Chamonix pass.

Wouldn't base any decisions on it.

Who would you ask anyway? CMB? Mairies?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds unlikely but...

I went up the TMB in June and I'm sure I would have seen anything being built. I'm going over again next week so I'll ask if you like.

We've got an apartment in Saint Gervais. If I can help with anything then let me know.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yiy can be sure they'd be publicising it long before anything got built. There'd be public enquiries about environment etc. And contracts to let.

Many more lifts are talked about than built....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's already linked.
By train. It is possible to ski through the trees to St Gervais but there in lies the problem, it's not often that it's skiable.
It could be back on the agenda to put a lift in as the pass now covers St Gervais etc. but I certainly haven't heard anyting.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys.
In regards to snow monkey, that would be appreciated.
Had chat with Richard gay, ex Olympian based in Megeve, and he reckons now chamonix own the lifts there will be inevitable links very soon.
Personally think linking up with les Contamines would be great.
But that would hit the economy in les Contamines I suppose....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does Cham own the lifts?

I can't be bothered keeping up Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't see Les Contamines getting linked to anywhere else.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jwhchitty,

I'll report back!

I've been going to Saint Gervais for over ten years and there was talk of a Les Contamines link even then. I can understand why Les Contamines would not want it to happen, though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob wrote:
It's already linked.
By train. It is possible to ski through the trees to St Gervais but there in lies the problem, it's not often that it's skiable.
It could be back on the agenda to put a lift in as the pass now covers St Gervais etc. but I certainly haven't heard anyting.

I'm sure you know/agree but my views on this are:
a) The train is really poo. It goes about 4 times a day and costs a fortune. (If you are talking about the mont blanc mountain train thing)
b) Skiing through the trees is possible and I've done that method. However as you say you have to wait for the snow build up and then even when you do make it, you are the wrong side of Saint Gervais for Evasion and it's a not inconsiderable walk over to the S.G lift. In ski boots.

I'm always frustrated by the lack of transport link between Cham and Evasion, because I really like it there. It's a nice day out. And I usually take a lovely lady to La Folie Douce because they always love it / spend all my money / etc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dp, I was joking really, and I do agree with you.
I do think Evasion on the Cham pass is great, and the lift out of St Gervais with the big car park works well for me. From Taconnaz I can be parked and on the lift as quick as driving to Le Tour.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Joking about the train or skiing it? I wondered about the skiing it bit because I did it and I didn't really think it was very fun. I got a little bit lost for a while (good snow also often means you can't see anything) and then had to walk about 2 miles across town.

I mean my disappointment is more that there isn't a bus or anything. The Les Houches bus service is good but we couldn't find any information suggesting public transport to Evasion, and the taxi company (we always use Haut Pursuit) wanted about 40 euros each way.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jwhchitty, I'm afraid that there's no lift being built between Saint Gervais and Les Houches.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dp, you may find public transport improves now Evasion is on the MBU lift pass (I am presuming it will be again his year.

Just like Courmayeur has better links now.
snow report
Anyone have any update on this one?
snow conditions
don't think anything is happening St G to Les Houches or Les c- Megeve however there is an active consultation on Les C - Espace Diamant.
Whether it happens is anyone's guess for now
ski holidays
Interesting, though a shame no plans for Les Houches to St Gervais. Would be great if Les Contamines linked though, thanks @jedster
snow conditions
@jedster, Does that not fall under the "no development below a certain altitude rule"?

@snowmole, not sure how there'd be an update? No link = no link... it is disappointing because it sort of looks easy...
latest report
@under a new name wishful thinking I guess. Still hear whispers from time to time that there is going to be a link.
snow conditions
@under a new name, it would be a very easy route, if you look at the hill up to LH from Bettix you can see some cleared tree lines where power lines run.
It is actually possible if you take the MTB tramway just now but the cost is expensive.
It would be great to be able to go from Megeve all the way up to Chamonix.
@jedster, are you able to expand on you thoughts
snow conditions
@Jonny996, looks easy, who knows if it actually is?

Anyway, there’s some law against investing below a certain altitude, also environmental limitations, etc., ad naus.
ski holidays
Interesting on the altitude thing as last year I seen a far greater effort put into keeping the home run open, it's a rubbish run so they must just be wanting to say StG is skiable to
snow report
@Jonny996, something to do with not building new lifts below a certain height. So, e.g., snowmaking OK I think and replacement lifts, e.g. Flégère, OK.
snow conditions
It is a pity because it would only take 2 lifts would connect Les C , StG & LH all together which would really expand the skiing area available without the need of a car but if it pushes prices up then I will take it as it is, The EMB pass is a bargain at 186 euro per week compared to 286 for Chamonix
ski holidays
As I understand it, there's also some rulings about not increasing capacity vs beds so e.g. in Flaine the new long lift's installation required the removal of two other lifts.
ski holidays
Quote:

@jedster, are you able to expand on you thoughts

I have an account with SECHM (lift company) so get emails from them. I actually got an email surveying attitudes to the proposed connection to ED. We had a bit of a discussion on another thread -I'll see if I can find it. I suggested that I could see it as being more value to ED than LC but ED regulars like PamW rather disagreed. I could imagine it being good for us in bad weather (more tree skiing over there) but of course the liasons would have to be open... Otherwise it would be fun for the occasional big cruisey day when the weather was good and the off piste ho hum.
I'm always a bit sceptical of the business case for links that don't add new terrain or uplift capacity.
ski holidays
link to a French article
http://www.actumontagne.com/economie/un-projet-de-liaison-avec-les-contamines-pour-2023_14090

"This year 2023 could also be that of the commissioning of the link with the Contamines-Montjoie area. This one would be done by a gondola between the foot of the chairlift of Bellasta (side Saisies) and Belleville (side Contamines). It should take this gondola in both directions, since the configuration of the terrain does not allow to develop ski slopes. It is on track, since we agree with the Contamines. But we are still waiting for the answer from Labellemontagne, operator of Notre-Dame-de-Bellecombe, which is not against a priori. And we have yet to demonstrate the economic viability of this project. Lastly, we plan to replace the village fixed-grip chairlifts (Chozal and Jorets on the Hauteluce side,"
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
here is the other thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3226457
snow conditions
The link for LC to to StG, or Megeve, IMO will never happen. It's been talked about too much and the fact that the route they wish to take is over the one part of the Mountain (LC) that is rarely open due to high winds... Plus the fact it will inevitably bring the hordes over from StG and Megeve, busying the slopes, with no economical benefit to the village of LC. One of the reasons I love LC is that it is 'quiet'... God forbid the fur hat brigade get easy access to it... Very Happy

It works for everyone but LC...

With ref to the link to ED, I too heard about this from the dude that recently bought our apartment... I could be mistaken but I think ED recently expanded it's slopes towards Hauteluce. Agree with @jedster, in that other than the obvious increase in domain, I'm not convinced it will add to LC. No one will come down to the village and in bad conditions, if you want tree-lined runs, then you can already hop in the car and drive the few short minutes up to St Nicolas, for easy access to the rest of the EMB...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy