Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow build up on boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I need to 'pick' snowheaders' brains! What would you think of a barrier spray that helps stop snow building up on the soles of your ski boots? (Only natural, bio friendly ingredients). Applied before venturing out.
I would be VERY grateful for opinions. Thanks Alv123skiing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing I typically cover myself in vegetable oil before I leave the hotel in the morning and this works really well..... good luck with that!

Seriously though - I wouldn't want my boots to be slippery underneath, when walking off piste carrying skis etc its good not to fall over on 35 degree slopes......

And welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 12-08-16 11:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't find it a problem. One more thing to faff with/forget/etc.

So no interest from me, sorry.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alvin123skiing wrote:
Hi, I need to 'pick' snowheaders' brains! What would you think of a barrier spray that helps stop snow building up on the soles of your ski boots? (Only natural, bio friendly ingredients). Applied before venturing out.
I would be VERY grateful for opinions. Thanks Alv123skiing

Two plastic bags you can put in your pocket (looks naff) or cling film is the answer. Or a can of deicer.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have long been used to giving my boots a good bash to get loose snow off. A ski stick usually does the job. I dislike the widespread habit of vigorously kicking it off using the bindings - you wouldn't take a hammer to your bindings, so why smack them with a ski boot at the end of a long heavy leg? I had this drilled into me by an instructor, years ago, and it has stuck (like the snow......).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@alvin123skiing, It will probably be more use between the climbing boot and crampons for those of us who forget poly bags.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
(like the snow......).

@alvin123skiing might have some spray for that too... Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alvin123skiing, seriously though, is this some sort of pre pitch, pre production survey?

I'm a fan of the beating my boots with a pole and i like to visually check for snow build up before committing myself to my bindings! A spray might take the focus off a procedure that I feel is important.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@alvin123skiing,
Simples, don't take your skis off.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
letsgetpiste wrote:
......@alvin123skiing might have some spray for that too... Laughing

letsgetpiste wrote:
@alvin123skiing, seriously though, is this some sort of pre pitch, pre production survey?.....

Defo sounds spammy to me.

However, if that same spray can be used on the topsheets of touring skis to stop snow sticking when skinning then sign me up now as your exclusive UK retailer Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Veg oil works wonders on ski boots and the horses hooves. Failing that CatTracks, failing that kick the snow off on your binding. Always good to see something being invented for a problem that doesn't really exist.... Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd think it was a shitty gimmick that only mugs would buy - if you really want non stick veg oil aerosols* are available form any supermarket

* Lucky I didn't get Android spell nanny to correct that for me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, or Teflon spray, or wd40, or just hit it with your pole like we all do!

* that cream old folks rub on their nether regions?! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@alvin123skiing, I think that's a very good idea. It may well be that folks could use veg oil or WD40; but that's not how most of us work. e.g.: why on earth is there one cleaner for the bathroom, and another for the kitchen — just daft.

Personally, I find that snow sticking to the bottom of my boots is a pain, and often, it's just not possible to actually view the bottom of your boots when you are standing in your skis — unless you are very flexible indeed. And having even a little snow on the bottom of your boots can stop your bindings closing fully. And often, it's not just "snow"; it's become impacted snow, which is almost ice, and hard to remove.

There is the whole "safety" angle as well, I personally have come out of my bindings at speed because there was impacted snow on the bottom of my boots — before I learnt the hard way to ensure it was all removed, and that often takes a very careful scraping, not just a quick bash with a ski pole.

Standing on one leg, whilst bashing the bottom of your boot with a ski pole is not easy for many folks.

Part of my work is advising people about their biz ideas, and one of the tips I give people, is if you are going to sell something, then sell a CONSUMABLE. Either literally — food, ice cream etc, or something like you are describing. I think you are on to a winner, and all the ski rental shops would love your product. What better than to offer it to skiers when they are renting their skis & boots? It's the perfect add-on, and could have a good mark-up for them. And it's a world-wide market, and most skiers are not dirt poor.

Also, it's the perfect product to have next to the till in ski shops; along with boot warmers, piste maps and lip balm.

You need to decide if it's a pressurised aerosol; or just a air pumped bottle. Plus, you need a big lever so folks can operate it with gloves on etc. You can tell folks to apply it ones in the morning, and once after lunch. And you need to ensure it does not make the boot easier to escape the bindings than the DIN setting say it should.

Good luck, and don't rely too much on consumer "research". Remember what Steve Jobs from Apple said: "It's not the consumer's job to know what they want".
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PeDaSp, some good advise ish there BUT.....

Who exactly is the audience going to be?! -

Teens, nope
Your average Joe, nope
Inflexible people, possibly
Experienced skiers, nope
Europeans, big nope!! I mean seriously, the French would stand there and wee wee themselves laughing until they split in two watching some arthritic Brit with his bottle of 1 Cal spray or Cilit Bang trying to spray the bottom of their boots after lunch.....
latest report
@alvin123skiing, this product is an anti-icer for the bottom of some skis:

http://www.holmenkol.us/holmenkol-nowax-anti-glider-spray-200ml-p-172.html
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@PeDaSp, some good advise ish there BUT.....

Who exactly is the audience going to be?! -

I hear there is a very, very crazy group of people who fly to the mountains in the depths of winter, and then put heavy plastic boots on their feet together with huge planks made of wood and metal. Then they walk for like half-a-mile to queue up for 20 minutes, and then climb into tiny cabins hanging on a bit of wire, crammed with other crazy folk, and are taken to the top of the mountain in sub-zero temperatures.

Then — and you're not going to believe this bit — they attach the planks to their feet and then throw themselves down the mountain on icey tracks!!! Sometimes, with no tracks at all!!

But it get's even crazier — they have special rescue teams waiting at points down the mountain, and even ambulance helicopters, because they so often fall over or crash into each other, breaking bones and tearing their knee joints. And they have to wear special crash helmets to help stop themselves suffering from brain damage!

And not only that, they often stop at lunch time and drink large quantities of a very expensive and dangerous chemical that causes loss of body co-ordination and spacial awareness and control. It's called Ethyl Alcohol I think, and that of course just makes everything 10 times worse.

Plus, and to top it all, they pay through the nose for all this — just a week of this craziness costs thousands of pounds. And they do it every year — sometimes more than once!!

These folks will buy anything, I guarantee it snowHead
ski holidays
You could try silicone spray I suppose. It's the sort of thing you buy one can of and it lasts a lifetime. I should know, I have one. I think I may have used it to stop snow sticking to something, but I can't remember precisely what or why. It may have been ski related.

More generally. what sticks is a function of the type of snow and the temperature and what you're doing with it. If you're having trouble, I guess a little silicone spray on the bottom of the boot may help, but I'm not sure. Kicking them on the bindings mostly works, then those skier-stick things. In extremis ask your mate to hold your boot and poke it with the end of the stick thing. That always works.

Product-wise, well I think you can sell lots of tat to people who don't know any better, but anyone could by cheap unbranded silicone spray so it seems unlikely.
ski holidays
Well, I'd buy it. Dunno about anyone else but I can be with a group of people who all have to wait for me because my boots are iced up. OH can't believe it. I bash and bash with my ski pole but can't do anything and he thinks I'm inept. Then he has a go and realises just how iced up my boots can get. I think it's the tread. It just seems to hold the ice.
latest report
So there you go -out of respondents so far you have one person who finds icing a sufficient problem that she'd consider it and one who thinks skiers are mugs and will buy just about anything.

I really don't get it - I just wouldn't want the soles of my boots to be more slippy. The bigger issue for me is not the inconvenience of occasionally bashing a bit of snow off the sole but the risk of slipping when walking on vinyl, wood,tile or concrete floor or ice. Not everything in the ski world is covered in rubber matting.
latest report
Quote:

I mean seriously, the French would stand there and wee wee themselves laughing until they split in two watching some arthritic Brit with his bottle of 1 Cal spray or Cilit Bang trying to spray the bottom of their boots after lunch.....

Laughing Is ClitBang what somebody was suggesting old folk rub on their nether regions?
snow conditions
Don't think I'd buy it. I'm pretty expert at gently scraping the snow off on my bindings on those occasional days when sticky snow is a problem. Mrs FZ might be more inclined to use it, but she'd never remember to apply each day before skiing.
ski holidays
My wife once bought me a bottle of stuff to spray on the car windscreen at night to make it easier to de-ice in the morning. I think it's still in the garage somewhere, unopened.
It would seem that whether anyone would actually use a product is a distinct question from whether there is a market for it.

If you do get it to market I know one person who would buy it. Toofy Grin

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 14-08-16 16:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I went to a diving shop to buy some spray to keep my goggles clear. The assistant explained that they didn't stock it there as nobody ever bought it. He said, "Are you too posh to spit, then?" Laughing
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
So there you go -out of respondents so far you have one person who finds icing a sufficient problem that she'd consider it and one who thinks skiers are mugs and will buy just about anything.

I really don't get it - I just wouldn't want the soles of my boots to be more slippy. The bigger issue for me is not the inconvenience of occasionally bashing a bit of snow off the sole but the risk of slipping when walking on vinyl, wood,tile or concrete floor or ice. Not everything in the ski world is covered in rubber matting.

Now that is something I had not thought of. I honestly think that walking down tile covered stairs to basement toilets in mountain restaurants is far more dangerous than skiing on the slopes! Saying that, when I take my skis off and walk a few feet to the wooden decking of an outside bar/restaurant, I often find myself slipping because of the impacted snow on the bottom of my boots. So it's swings and roundabouts.

I would give it a go is the answer, and see what the results were.
latest report
PeDaSp wrote:

I honestly think that walking down tile covered stairs to basement toilets in mountain restaurants is far more dangerous than skiing on the slopes!

+1
Now, if someone could invent a backpack with a sort of universal portable Stannah Stairlift maybe they'd be on to something.
snow report
That's why all those people wear airbags at resorts: they are not in fact posers, it's in case they slip on those stairs..
snow conditions
Butane Gas Micro Blow Torch....just don't try and bring it on the Plane! wink Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowboarder here. This is actually quite big problem for me - my boots, have quite a chunky tred and the impacted snow builds up super fast, and you use your feet a bit more to get around on a snowboard, its also kind of painful if you strap in with it still under foot.

We dont have polls. so I try and scrap it off on the back of my bindings, which is kind of fiddy. Honestly the best solution is to knee down (like some kind of animal!) and rub it off with the back of my glove, after a few weeks of that the gloves are starting to wear.

I was genuinely considering grating of my tred, so it stopped happening, plastic bags also came to mind, Might try this veg oil solution though...that could work, and Id rather try something before I go damaging my boots.

to sumize, ask some borders...not sure how widespread the problem is, but its a constant frustration for me.
snow report
That's the second time this weekend I've heard a snowboarder complaining about their boots. Has the earth slipped on its axis?
ski holidays
Not a problem for me (snowboard boot compacting problems), but i do get a bit of a buildup on my back foot binding from boot in/out scooting for the lift action. Snow sticks to the rubber grippy bits and needs periodic knocking off. No biggie.
ski holidays
escooler wrote:
Honestly the best solution is to knee down (like some kind of animal!) and rub it off with the back of my glove

So is it really such a problem - you all spend so much time sat on your back bottoms in the middle of a slope (usually over the brow of a hill) can't you just rub the snow off then Happy
snow conditions
And is the suggestion really that we carry one of these things (with a long lever to be used with gloves) in our backpacks, for a second application after lunch?
latest report
Kickng off on bindings is entirely fine and all that's necessary. Been doing it for 45 years...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy