Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help finding accomodation in St Anton please?

Poster: A snowHead
Calling on the wisdom of St Anton familiar snowheads I need your help please. Following on from my previous thread I've decided to try and find somewhere self catering in St Anton 1- 8 April/ 2-9 April. Has to be those dates. Our group of 6 adults and a 16 year old, 3 or 4 bedrooms near the lifts or bus stop. So far I've looked on booking.com, air bnb, St Anton villas etc, a little luxury would be good along with a hot tub! Flying from London so far BA to Munich comes out cheapest but im put off by the longer transfer, can't find flights to friedrichschafen at the moment, I'm thinking its nearer? Can do monarch to Innsbruck but more expensive, also need advice on transfers, prefer mini bus as we have skis too. Thanks in advance snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BA or Sleasy to ZRH & take train?

No idea about self catering - get the impression town is more set up for Half board hotels and B&B - try Sidney Reilly maybe
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@feefee, Try Owners Direct or try http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you, message sent to Reilly! Sleazy not available yet, I'm getting impatient! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also worth dropping an email to the Tourist office, they can be good at giving you a list of places that might fit the bill. There is self catering around, although tends to be more out towards Nasserein, St Jakob and Pettneu.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
can always fly swiss from heathrow to zurich and get the train to the resort, they don't charge extra for ski carriage either!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm thinking 7 of us with luggage and skis might be a bit of a faff getting a train?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You do have to change trains. Its not difficult and could be worse you could have little uns but you are effectively 7 adults so eminently doable.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@feefee, Last season we did a flight to Zurich, and then took the train to St. Anton. First you take a shuttle train from the airport to Zurich main station, and then from there, you take a train to St. Anton. And at St. Anton you can hop in a cab to your accommodation.

The train station is in the airport, and you just change platforms at the main Zurich station.

It all went pretty smoothly, but I would strongly advise you to look on the train website, and the smart phone app, to see exactly what platforms you need. They will tell you in advance. And of course you can buy your tickets online.

Also, buy as far in advance as you can, as the earlier you buy, the cheaper it is.

The St. Anton trains are never really that busy that you need to reserve a seat; and it any case, all the reserved seats are lumped together, and thus those carriages are really crowded — whilst others are almost empty!

But what is tricky, on both the shuttle and the train to St. Anton, is finding the right place to stand on the platforms to ensure you are in the right class of carriage, and you have somewhere to store you skis & luggage on board. Plus, on the St. Anton train, a section of it is disconnected at someplace to go elsewhere I think — so you need to be on the right part!

On the shuttle platform there are big diagrams on the platform telling you were to stand. And on the St. Anton trains, you can look at their websites to see which part of the train is which.

The last thing you want to do on the main St. Anton train is to rush to get on the train, and then find the carriages are pretty full, and you have to drag all your gear down the length of the train (we tried that - not fun). Better to arrive in time, and stand in the right place, or have one of your party run along the train to find the best place for you all to get on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@feefee, Like I mentioned on the other thread I'd fly scheduled Swiss to ZHR and get the train, its so easy, FOC skis too. Alternatively (like we do), fly Lufthansa to MUC (again FOC skis) and hire a mini bus. Its 3 hours but really easy journey and easier than train (min 2 changes). If your flying from the Southeast I'd go Swiss. Train tickets are very cheap too if booked 90 days in advance, and the service is excellent.

Cards on the table - you're not going to find an apartment place for 7 people with a hot-tub in town (unless you pay mega-bucks, Scott Dunn etc). There's absolutely loads of options re accommodation but I suggest you go b&b in double rooms, and one person in a single (in Austria singles aren't disproportionately expensive like in UK). Most good places have sauna and steam etc but not hot-tubs, the Austrians think they are dirty by the way (so do I, bathing in other peoples bits) Laughing Theres also the town Wellness centre which is awesome (don't take your speedo's though, you wont need them!)

Suggest you need to think where you want to be, St Anton, St Jakob or Pettneu, or even Stuben. I've been 60+ weeks winter and summer and know the place really well, and lots of people but there are many variables, its certainly not a one-size fits all kind of place, it caters for many types of holiday. If you want cheap and better value, head down the valley but accept you're going to have to add 1/2 hour a day onto your plans each end, if you want access to all the restaurants but accept it may be a bit noisy and more expensive stay central. Self catering isn't big in Austria like Dave says above, that said there are some places but tend to be pretty expensive compared with b&b's. (by the way don't think b&b UK style, these are so far better than most anything you'll find in UK for similar money, sometimes décor can a bit dated but always clean). Take a look look at Rundeck, Banyan, M3, Pelquitron, Angelika, not much wrong with those places, all do B&B

For 75-90€ pppn B&B you'll definitely find somewhere in town with access to all the facilities, or you can go more expensive (its easy to spend money in St Anton) I'd suggest that's what your family will want, ie easy access to a few bars and restaurants, and lifts (early bird catches the best powder after all). We sometimes stay down the valley and use hotel bus first-on kind of approach, sometimes in town, but ALWAYS have a great time!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone, brilliant help and advice as always Very Happy I'm now in touch with Reilly and looking at options, really don't fancy the train so looking seriously at flight options but it's kind of falling into place. I've found a couple of scammers on air bnb, so be warned people, I'd much rather go on recommendation and see reviews of real accomodation, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is! Son and gf did a season in St Anton so familiar with the area, we stayed close to the Nasserein lift so I've got a rough idea of what's where, St Anton is definitley where we want to go, just need to get it all right, any other suggestions gratefully received.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't know anything about St. Anton lodging options but there is a bus that runs directly from the Zurich airport to St. Anton, Lech, Zuers. It's called the Arlberg Express. We've found it to be very convenient.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@feefee, Have stayed here a few times over the years, fantastic location, not posh or prententious but clean and just remembered has self catering appartments.

http://romanfalch.at/en/apartments-st-anton.html

If interested make sure you email Greti in German, they don't speak good English.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@feefee, Stayed in this hotel in St. Anton and cannot recommend it highly enough. It's right next to the main Nasserein lift, and run by a really friendly local family. Rooms are big, and it has a spa with sauna, steam room etc. Also, really good value, and has nothing but excellent reviews.

http://www.europahotel.at/en/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g608676-d1233442-Reviews-Hotel_Europa-St_Anton_am_Arlberg_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
An update😊 I've booked flights to Munich with BA super cheap, and booked an apartment with Sidney Reilly who is also arranging our transfers, so all
sorted, thank you all so much for your help and advice Blush
ski holidays
Ditto on the bus from Zurich airport to St Anton. Check out Arlberg Express. Regular scheduled buses. Pick up and drop off curbside at ZRH airport. Easier than the train. No train-changing antics with skis and luggage.
ski holidays
@choucas, Agreed. I would give the bus a go next time. I think overall, it's an easier option. Only downside is that it does not run as frequently as the train services.
snow report
Does anyone have a link to the best place to buy cheap advance train tickets from Zurich to St Anton?
snow report
I usually book on the Swiss train operator SBB website, but last winter noticed that the Austrian operator OBB offered much cheaper fares ZRH- St.Anton return. I have used this route many times and I would strongly recommend reserving seats if travelling in a group. The website gives you a coach plan and choice. You won't be able to book it this far in advance though, I think 90 days is the max, not sure though. The transfer at Zurich main station can be a fair walk depending on which train to get from the airport, the shuttles tend to be the furthest away, whilst the intercity's can arrive at an adjacent platform to the St. Anton train (actually the Zurich-Vienna Railjet). Boarding at Zurich is easy because that is the train's start point, but at St.Anton it is stationary for only 2/3mins, so you need to be well organised, the platform diagram indicates which coaches stop at. Whenever I've travelled, Saturdays, it has always been busy.
Not used the Arlberg Express but believe it is good.
snow report
@mikeholmes25, here: http://www.oebb.at/en/angebote-ermaessigungen/sparschiene

The sparschiene are the discount tickets, and there is a limited number available for each train.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy