Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski bag

Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations? Ideally looking for something I could get some kit in too so that, along with a large cabin bag, I could get away without paying too many fees.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaKine Fall line
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One with wheels, unless you want to be a hazard in doorways. Doubles are good, you* can fit 4 pairs of skis in. Or maybe a normal number of skis and some other things.

*I
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You mean 4 pairs isn't normal? Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, for the people I ski with, I suppose 4 pairs is just average. It's just that people say things like "put all your clothes and stuff in your ski bag and just check one bag in" which is all well and good until your ski bag starts with 4 pairs in and there's not a right lot of space* left for much else.

*weight, really. I work on the calculation that one pair of skis is ~5kg. So a toothbrush would be about the limit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, @Dave of the Marmottes, sadly I don't have 4 pairs (I'm looking to implement n+1 rule shortly though) but thanks for advice. £76 seem reasonable? Sounds like a decent enough deal to me but such is my faith in snowHeads that my research of ski bags has consisted of this thread and a Google search Very Happy

https://www.freezeproshop.com/dakine-fall-line-double-ski-bag/colour:69687/image:29029/size:69686
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep think I paid a bit more than that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SnoodyMcFlude, http://absolute-snow.co.uk are always worth a look for this type of thing, though you may have to dig around on the site a bit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@Scarlet, @Dave of the Marmottes, sadly I don't have 4 pairs (I'm looking to implement n+1 rule shortly though) but thanks for advice. £76 seem reasonable? Sounds like a decent enough deal to me but such is my faith in snowHeads that my research of ski bags has consisted of this thread and a Google search Very Happy

https://www.freezeproshop.com/dakine-fall-line-double-ski-bag/colour:69687/image:29029/size:69686

only 190 cm - if a prob look at the scott 200cm one, pretty much the same.
Once got "braced" at Swiss GVA check in as to why it was so heavy for one set of skis but pointed out that I had my 8 year old daughter's (also travelling) in there as well ... if they had opened it they might have had a view as to why she was on 190/115 ....start 'em young! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bought the Da Kine one now (not that I impulse buy or anything) thanks all. 190 is fine as skis are only 177 Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was looking at that bag too. Considered a longer one but airline rules (well BA at least) seem to be max length 190.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tubaski, was looking at flights earlier (can't remember if it was Monarch it Norwegian) and their max was 2500mm, which seems a bit on the big side tbh.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tubaski, My triple wheeled bag is 197 x 37 x 20, and has flown BA on multiple occasions without issue. With 3 pairs of fat 180-190 skis+bindings and a pair of poles, is right on the 23kg limit. But the bag is semi-rigid and weighs a fairly heavy 5.9kg.

@SnoodyMcFlude, Typically the airlines quote a L + W + D total, which is probably your 2500mm figure. My ski bag exceeds this (2540), but so does the Dakine Falline 190 double at 203 x 30 x 20 (2530), if the check-in staff get out a tape measure.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PowderAdict, can't remember where I saw it now but pretty sure it was stated as a 250*X*X cm and n.e Xcm circumference.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I must admit I hadn't clocked that the 190cm in the bag description referred to the Ski not the external dimension - pretty blooming obvious really Embarassed
Anyway, I just rechecked BA's site and they say
Quote:
We will accept ski and snowboard equipment up to 190cm (75in) in length provided it is packed correctly.

So BA seem to be quoting the length of the ski, not the bag anyway.
snow conditions
Tubaski wrote:
I must admit I hadn't clocked that the 190cm in the bag description referred to the Ski not the external dimension - pretty blooming obvious really Embarassed
Anyway, I just rechecked BA's site and they say
Quote:
We will accept ski and snowboard equipment up to 190cm (75in) in length provided it is packed correctly.

So BA seem to be quoting the length of the ski, not the bag anyway.

They haven't defined straight pull or arc either so they clearly don't know what they are talking about & you've clearly got a very "special" check in agent if they have any clue what any of that means.
ski holidays
I've got a double sport tube. The hard plastic type. Don't buy one. Weighs a ton and isn't that easy to wheel around. Hoping I may find a use for it one day. Otherwise I just use a cheap single shoulder carry ski bag which fits my and my sons skis in it (there was another thread about putting bits of hose pipe or foam pipe insulation over the brake ends to prevent making holes in the bag), but am likely to go down the quiver killer route.
ski holidays
I bought a Dakine Fall Line Double but wish I hadn't. It has the quality you expect of a Dakine product but it lacks some basic features such as cinch straps to hold skis in place. I got my son a Burton Wheely Gig as he needed a shorter bag that you can't really get in a 'ski' bag. It is superb. The quality is every bit a good as Dakine and in many ways better. The 'secret' lower compartment (designed for holding spare tea-trays) means that skis can be put in flat and stay in place. There are 2 internal bags (designed for boots and bindings) that can accommodate ski boots and other bits. The bags fix to the inner bag with clips. If Burton did a 190cm version I'd happily ditch the Dakine and buy one of those.
snow report
@Gaza, oh no, I'm going to have to put a Burton Wheelie Gig bag on the list of things to buy my son Wink
latest report
@Themasterpiece,

Thanks for this , was just about to buy the sportube 3 but think ill go for the fall line double instead.
snow report
Sportube Series 2 is 5.45kg and series 3 is 6.45kg, versus the Dakine Fall Line Double at 3.6kg. The sportube is hard to pack other stuff around the skis also as you have to slide the skis into the tube, and then the top section over (can be done by holding things in place with masking tape, but its a pain in the rear end).
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
You mean 4 pairs isn't normal? Shocked

Who on earth needs four pairs of pants for skiing for a week? Oh, sorry, skis! Embarassed
snow report
Funny how tastes/needs differ.
I love my Sportube 2, went for the "Platinum" model which came with a lifetime warranty.
Fits 2 pairs of skis and adjusts for length, so there's never any sag, unlike with a conventional ski bag. The "Platinum" model came with 2 small bags that fit between the skis inside the sportube. Admittedly, not much can fit in there (stuff like socks, gloves, underwear, etc) but it's still useful (especially on a return trip) Very Happy

The skis are always super protected (and that is a priority for me). The case is very sturdy.

My ski boots always travel with me in my hand luggage, and I find 20kg allowance for the check - in bag easily lasts me even for 2 weeks' skiing.
I can see how, if one wanted to pack boots in the ski bag, sportube wouldn't work very well, but I don't do that and am more than happy with mine.
latest report
Burton did do a 185cm (it fits equipment 5-10cm longer) it has all the features and some more. Pm if anyone wants me to part with my one £75 in London
Possibly could deliver it .
Also one of the better Dakine 165cm bags could go it fits longer equipment than 165cm.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 4-08-16 15:08; edited 3 times in total
snow report
snowglider wrote:
Funny how tastes/needs differ....
I can see how, if one wanted to pack boots in the ski bag, sportube wouldn't work very well, but I don't do that and am more than happy with mine.

Sport tubes work ok with boots in there: they weigh a little more but it's still easy to get multiple snowboards plus race *hard* boots in under 23kgs. The trick is to pack the boots down at the end with the wheels. If you're a frequent flyer then you either end up with one of these, or like me, with a double garage completely lined with old snowboard bags trashed by baggage handlers, plus one of these.

They do weigh more than soft sided cases, but you don't need to "protect your edges" and all that stuff. The main disadvantage is that if your car has the engine in the middle then it's more awkward to pack that a soft sided bag which is inherently more, er, flexible.

Tastes: I'm glad they differ, there's no best solution..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy