Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First pair of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on what to go for in a pair of skis. I've been skiing for 20 years, somewhere between 12 and 15 weeks in total, but looking to go more often (although probably won't manage more than 2 - 3 weeks a year). Always rented and ended up with piste skis now looking to buy for the first time. Recently, I've ended up going with snowboarders who want to do a bit of off piste, so want something that can handle off the side, but I'm going to be spending most of the time on piste in Europe.

I'm age 30, 5ft 8, around 150lbs (10 stone 10), reasonably athletic and like to ski fairly fast (probably beyond my technical ability at times!). I'm thinking a pair of piste focused all mountain skis, and will probably buy new season when they come out - my shortlist so far is:

Rossignol Experience 84 HD
Atomic Vantage 85 CTI
Blizzard Brahma
Atomic Vantage 90 CTI

I'd welcome any input/other suggestions, as well as guidance on sizing etc. Recently, I've been renting 165 ish piste skis, but I've heard I should size up a little for skis with a rockered tip like the ones I've listed - is this right? Whatever the suggestions, I'll end up testing them in the snowdome before I buy.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Barnabarian, Can I recommend that you consider a trip to the October Ski test if you can get to one of them this year, that way you can get to try a number of these. I would be surprised if SpyderJon doesnt have the Brahma with him and I am sure I have seen the Rossignol Experience before too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That sounds good, thanks for the advice - I see there's one in Manchester on 9th October - how do you register for them?

Cheers
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Barnabarian, In the Snow events section a little nearer to the time the wonderful admin will put up a page to sign up, and then you press buttons on here and send him a little bit of money.

As an aside all the events including holidays work the same way
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you very much, I will do!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nothing beats trying for yourself, allowing you to settle on the right model and size.

Of the Skis you listed, combined with the speed you ski and where you intend to spend your time....I would be looking very hard at the Brahma. It's stiff, well balanced and has a tip and tail rocker.....which means it skis shorter on piste. I think you would be looking at the 173, which should feel more like a 165.

The 2016 model was already at the top of the pile....and it's been further improved for 2017, with carbon in the tip and tail like the more expensive models. The feedback is the update makes the ski even smoother and quieter, with reduced swing weight, making it a little more versatile and user friendly.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just purchased a pair of whitedot ones, with great service from @spyderjon, after trying them at the last bash and loving them for same purposes as yourself.

Bonus is I believe the whitedot guys will be at the ski tests mentioned above snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @N0rthernMonkey for the input - I hadn't considered whitedot. Just looking at them now, they all seem to be fairly fat underfoot?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Barnabarian, it's all in the mind NehNeh Seriously, the Ones are a mere 89mm underfoot and ski similarly to other all mountain type skis. Edge to edge is pretty nimble, they're very easy to ski but have a twin tip so go longer than you think you need.

@N0rthernMonkey, glad to see you finally came to your senses wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll add them to the list!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brahmas... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Barnabarian, a lot of them are, but the ones and zero ones are more piste orientated (the ones more so). Like I say I was lucky enough to test them for a full two days at the EoSB and just clicked with them. They were fantastic and according to jon hadn't even had a proper tune or wax before hand.

@Scarlet, ha, was inevitable I think, looking back. Convo's with you didn't help the "don't spend too much on shiny things" philosophy either NehNeh

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 20-07-16 18:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@N0rthernMonkey, sorry 'bout that, I do have a talent for spending other people's money Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah i found the Ones to be good fun on piste when i tested them at the EoSB and an absolute doddle to have the on edge. Decided they weren't for me though as had a couple of minor issues and I couldn't get beyond the fact that I don't like the look of them Embarassed I ended up going for K2 Shreditor 92 as my first ski as was after something all mountain with a bit of a park leaning, and from what I've seen they tick all the boxes...although i haven't actually skied on them so don't have a clue if they're for me or not, but the price I found them for was too good to miss.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, comes with the gender Twisted Evil *cowers in fear of backlash*

@SnoodyMcFlude, ha yeah remember you saying. I really like the styling personally which is a bonus, and this years more so, bright orange with black dots - gotta love the irony too! Fingers crossed your K2's work out for you!
snow report
Thanks for all the input, I think I'll just get down to the ski test day, and test everything that I like the look of.
snow conditions
Was meeting a friend in Castleford for some skiing on Friday, so thought I'd pop in to Ellis Brigham to demo a couple of pairs of skis.

First, I tried the Vantage 90 CTI in a 176, was quite surprised that it didn't feel too long. Was my fist time skiing anything that width or length, but with the rockered tip and tail, it didn't feel too big really (I caught an edge early on, but managed to pull it back fine and styled it out!), and felt stable at speed (as much as you can get on the snowdome). Really fun ski, would like to try the 169 for comparison.

Then tried a K2 iKonic 80 in a 170 as I wanted to see the difference a narrower, slightly shorter ski made on piste - but honestly, I thought the Vantage performed just as well. The Vantage was more fun at slower speeds, stable and really easy to turn - I want to use the word 'splashy', but in a good way. The Konic felt a bit more predictable, but definitely less fun and nimble, even though it was shorter.
ski holidays
@Barnabarian, FYI, Atomic also have the new Vantage X 80 CTI and the Vantage X 83 CTI for next season.
They piqued my interest when I tried the 80 in February, which was very light and stable.
ski holidays
Have a look at Head Titans
snow report
Have a look at Head Titans
snow report
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
for someone who just does the blues & a few reds, what's the thoughts on these:
Alpine Ski Nordica Avenger

FIFY
ski holidays
Skied on a battered set of those at the EoSB and found them good fun. Coped reasonably with everything that was thrown at them which included: hardpack, slush, park, slight off piste, fat man and sort of moguls...although struggled a bit more with the latter, but that's more likely down to me. Forget what length they were but had a bit of a long radius for my liking, although they were simple to edge.
ski holidays
Tried some Salomon QST 92s in a 169 - felt a little clunky on the piste compared to the others I've tried, but I guess that's to be expected with the additional width.

Am now definitely thinking of trying a few more at the thinner end of the range - looking forward to testing the Atomic 85CTI and Experience 84HD.
snow report
letsgetpiste wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
for someone who just does the blues & a few reds, what's the thoughts on these:
Alpine Ski Nordica Avenger

FIFY

Missed those as only 146 available now, can I ask for opinions on these https://www.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/rossignol/experience_80_xe_xelium_110_b83_black_orange-67249.html
snow conditions
I really like the Atomic 85CTI
ski holidays
@Jonny996, I've just bought a pair of those for my GF in 168 (she is 5'7" and 65kg). The reviews are good and the price is crazy.

She wanted orange skis Shocked
ski holidays
@bar shaker, mines get delivered tomorrow , then a 14 week wait to use them, mind you I have 30kg on you GF
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonny996, 176s for you then! Very Happy

The 168s may be slightly too big for her, but the rocker profile should make them feel smaller. If they are too big, I'll use them but she normally rents around 160. I haven't put skis on since pre carver days... and I know I should.

The reviews on these skis on other sites were really good.

My GF's get delivered today. Got them sent to a mate in Val.
snow report
@bar shaker, nope 168 for me as well, I am what is politely called "powerfully built". I have to omit to not knowing what rocker & carver mean & what they do but I did like the look of them & the reviews were good, added to a very good price. The limiting factor to my skiing is not the ski's
snow conditions
i got a pair of head integrale 005, absoloutley loved them so went for another head set the head integrale 1000 as i progressed a bit thanks to the 005s. They 005 is no longer around but is replaced by the head integrale 600 which is more or less the same with a few tweeks i believe. Really forgiving when you try to make an ass of yourself.

would deffo recommend them
latest report
@bar shaker, My Rossignol Experience 80 Xe arrived yesterday & boy they look good. Youngster got Valki RaceTigers as well & he is well chuffed, match his Roces!!!!!!! Just need to keep reminding him they are Christmas presents come early.
ski holidays
@Jonny996, Nice one snowHead

Ours are in my friends basement, until we are back out at the start of October. It snowed in Val, two nights ago. My GF might be using her skis on our next trip! She is very excited about her first pair of skis.
ski holidays
Didn't make the October ski test sadly (ended up moving house that day), but have gone through and tested a load of different skis since my initial post in July.

Tried both the Rossignol EXperience 80 and 84HDs, and they were fun, but the 84s felt a little heavy. Think the 80s would be super easy to ski all day, but think I would grow out of them fairly quickly

Finally got to try the Brahmas yesterday, and although they only had them in a 180, I thought they were fantastic - so smooth, quick and surprisingly easy to ski, despite them being a size too long for me at 5ft 8, 150lbs. Tested them against the Atomic Vantage 90Cti in a 176 again straight after, which was the previous frontrunner - but the Brahma just felt more exciting.

Thanks for all the input, I think I've made the decision on the Brahma in a 173...now I just need to pick the right bindings...any help appreciated!
latest report
If you liked the 180, presumably in a fridge then stick with the 180.
Bindings ... look pivot!
snow report
I did like the 180, but think I'll appreciate the extra ease/agility of the 173s, especially on a full day's skiing. Thanks for the tip on the bindings.
latest report
@Barnabarian,
If you go to a good sized resort there will be a hire shop there which will let you rent & test skis for a week.
Then at the end of the week the will knock the hire price off the purchase.

You really have to take a few pairs out for at least half a day to work out what the best for you.

The rossignol experience either 80 or 84 are good. I loved the 80's a couple of years ago.
The Head Titans also feel good .. I preferred the narrower ones.

Good Hunting!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy