Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

chamonix - some questions

Poster: A snowHead
ok, so i've just booked some cheap flights to geneva in early Jan, and am trying to decide between going to Chamonix, or Morzine/PDS, I've been to morzine before, so know the obvious (lack of) snow risk due to the lower altitude etc

I've never been to Cham, but the piste map seems a bit odd, being just a ringed area, with a few lifts marked on it and no pistes seemingly as such, whats it actually like there? i presume there are actual pistes/marked runs etc or is it actually just an area so basically all off piste?

only going to be stopping for two nights, so may well go the Air Bnb route. which area (in cham) would be best to look out for, is there main town full of bars etc for cham or is it just all spread out all over the shop?

any insight would be greatly appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not an expert but my tuppence-worth - don't worry, plenty of pistes in each of the areas, your map must not have been detailed enough. There's 4 different unlinked ski areas. Only one lift is accessible from the town centre, and that's Brevent. Good bus system to the others.

Chamonix's a lovely town so you should stay in the town if possible. Plenty of hotels and chalets.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mikeholmes25, I'm off there with my ski buddies at the end of Jan too. There is lots of challenging but great skiing on and off piste (Chamonix is an off-piste mecca but on-piste is good too). Ski bus runs to the other valley ski areas at Argentiere, Les Houches, La Tour etc.... Hire a guide and do the Vallee Blanche for a great off-piste trip.

Best apres ski bar in the French Alps at Chambre Neuf (see hotel Gustavia near the railway station) but it gets rammed early on.

We do s/c and normally arrange an apartment through Booking.com or Owners Direct although have done chalet board occasionally.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If youre hiring a car then the cham resorts are all easy to get to .. Each has a different aspect of pistes etc. We used to stay at the hotel excelsior just outside the town centre, loved it, not expensive and easy to get to the guinnes bar in the town 😃
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is 115km onpiste.

Plenty offpiste.

Brevent and Grand Montets best for weekend riding.

Argentiere the best atmosphere.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As said, you must be looking at a crap map.

Bear in mind that the Cham valley is a little North American in geography. There is a lot of skiing off a relatively small number of long lifts.

Two nights? I'd be wanting town centre. Argentiere also not a bad call.

It's very different (on the scale of French ski resort differences) from Morzine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I'm going to plump for town centre if possible, and I must have been looking at an overview map of the valley rather than the individual areas, so my bad there.
I think Cham will edge it over morzine, mainly because at least for the last couple of years, there hasn't been any snow in morzine during early Jan!

Next question is to book an apartment early, or try and leave it till the last minute, weekend of 6/7/8th of Jan 2017
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mikeholmes25, many/most apartments run Saturday-Saturday. I'd want to get something booked up, personally, if doing odd dates. Try Snostation.com.

Otherwise there are several decent value hotels.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers for that, I think I will try and get it nailed down sooner rather than later, so I can devote all my time to worrying about weather forecasts and other things completely out of my control....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why do you want to go to Chamonix in particular?

Unless you are want to do some serious off piste skiing there are better options IMO.

I've done a week and a weekend years ago and I am not dissing the place, it's a great ski area in general but it's not "a simple" ski area... if that makes sense!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you only there for a couple of nights, I would recommend you stay in Argentiere- enough to keep you entertained in the evenings- The Office Bar is usually open until 2 and depending on the day of the week, usually an apres band on somewhere. I spent a season living in Argentiere and only went into Chamonix twice in the evening- no huge need and the best skiing in the valley on your doorstep.
You can then either just ski Grand-montets- or hop on a bus for 10 minutes up to Le Tour with a snow-park etc.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Main reason for chamonix was the proximity to Geneva, and the relatively reliable snow conditions, will only have one night on the sauce, and if the ice hockey team are at home that weekend we'll probably just go check that out.

Also because I've never been, and even if it has its own particular 'charms' I like a challenge!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's an itch you have to scratch I think. I've never been a huge fan even tho I've been a dozen times or so! Well well worth a visit, stay in the town or Argentiere and see if it grabs you. If it does you'll return time after time and be able to enjoy the many different facets of the place, if not, you've been to the world famous Chamonix. What you got to lose?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think there is a map out there that shows just the lifts for the whole valley, if you want to expore each resort and the runs then this link is useful?

http://www.chamonix.com/skis-areas,22,en.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Main reason for chamonix was the proximity to Geneva, and the relatively reliable snow conditions

The conventional slopes of Cham are no more reliable than most other areas close to Geneva. In fact, as an example, I think Les Contamines is generally regarded as a better micro climate for snow. The real altitude of Cham is on the Grand Montets and Aiguille du Midi, which costs extra and you will only appreciate if doing some serious skiing. Also in early Jan there is a fair chance the weather could hamper any activity at altitude. I agree with others that Argentiere is your best bet if you do still want to go for it. I am not trying to put you off particularly, just don't want you to be disappointed!

Quote:
Also because I've never been, and even if it has its own particular 'charms' I like a challenge!

It is certainly a different place to experience. I've done a week staying in Argentiere and a long weekend (Thu eve to Sun eve) a decade or so ago. Most of the skiing is "standard". The skiing above Argentiere and on AdM is fantastic. We hired a guide on the weekender and it was great challenging off piste skiing. But if I wanted a good weekend piste cruising and off piste dabbling or as I do these days, skiing with kids I'd probably be looking elsewhere - because of the convenience as much as anything. Also in early Jan I'd be wanting the insurance of tree skiing - iirc there is some in Argentiere but there are probably better options.
ski holidays
I think Cham is perfect for a few days, you can pick and choose which of the spots suit you best depending on conditions and your appetite for a fight. Grand Montets is amazing in the sunshine and powder as is Aiguille du Midi but only with a guide and in the right conditions. La Balme is great for an easy cruise with fabulous views, ditto Flegere/Brevent although there is some more challenging stuff.

The town is has the best all round offer of any place I know, cheap (ish) dive bars nestle up against chic drinking dens, it is reasonably compact. More restaurants than you can shake a stick at, good coffee shops.

I go every year with my mates for an off piste/ski touring trip but I am even taking the family this year for a week over New Year. I appreciate the conditions might be crap or non-existent but at least we will have something other than skiing to keep us occupied.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy