Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners / novice advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Newbie here so apologies if these questions get asked (and answered) thousands of times. Apologies also if this is in the wrong forum.

Basically we're a small group of (most likely) 4 people, possibly only 3, looking at options for a ski holiday in late Jan/Feb. We're likely going to use a tour operator as it the first time for all but one of the group. The initial preference is for Austria, mostly as one of the guys has been there one time before, to Ski Welt, the others will be first timers. But we're also open to Italy, all things being equal.

Anyway some of our queries or areas of concern:

1) without wishing to start a major argument, and I know you can never predict weather, but is there any REAL concern about snow in Austria at that time of year ? I guess likewise for Italy.
2) for beginners, is Ski Welt a good option, I suppose bearing in mind the question above ? Also looking at Mayrhofen, Saalbach and Kitzbuhel.
3) In Italy, is Livigno decent ? Its the only Italian resort one of the TOs here goes to, or would somewhere like Passo Tonale, Pila or Courmayer be better ? Or others ?
4) this is subjective, but does it take anything from a ski holiday to be skiing down 20 feet wide ribbons of snow on green mountains, should it be a bad snow year ? Personally I think it really would, but don't know.
5) another subjective one, but when comparing somewhere like Mayrhofen where you get a gondola from the town up to the slopes, to somewhere where the nursery slopes are right by the village, does the convenience mean all that much ? or is the trade off for the higher slopes with a Mayrhofen, worth it ?

All comments welcome, and again, apologies if they're silly or repetitive questions.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to sH's Very Happy

I'll do my best to comment on what I know:
1) Obviously depends on the resort height, but you shouldn't have any real concerns about most places by that time of year.
2) Can't say, never been to any of them.
3) Livigno is good for beginners and very high up. Went there last year on a snowheads bash (check the Events section) and it's great for beginners. Only real downside I had was the length of time for a transfer.
4) You won't have green fields by the end of January unless it's a real freak year.
5) Convenience is obviously a bit easier, you should be able to get this with most resorts though and not be at too low an altitude.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1) No.
4) Not for me. It's often only when you stop that you look around at anything other than the white stuff, especially in your first Bambi week.
5) Personally I'd go with a gondola ride up to the nursery slopes. Assuming we're talking about real village resorts (as opposed to purpose built, mountain top ones) everyone else will be getting in the gondola, so you get to feel like a proper skier not a second-class citizen and most first-timers will only spend the first couple of days on the nursary slopes before being led further afield anyway.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1) No
4) A little but a) you live with what you get b) in late Jan it won't be an issue and c) would you rather be in the office?
5) Some people don't mind. Personally I like to be slope side.

Don't overthink things. Late Jan/early Feb is off peak but the middle of winter. Snow won't be an issue, availability won't be an issue. Cruise the TO sites 7-10 days before the trip and the worlds your oyster. Or if you'd rather grab an early deal and be done.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1) I wouldn't worry about snow in late Jan/Feb.
2) Ski Welt is a good option but some of the resorts need a bit of a bus ride to the chair/gondola. If you're total beginners not used to walking about in ski boots that adds a bit of effort/hassle.
3) Never been there, but it is a long transfer from pretty much any airport.
4) I skied ribbons of snow last Christmas - it was still good fun but obviously not as pretty as full snow coverage. Not likely to be an issue when you're going.
5) There's not really any difference between skiing nursery slopes in the village or at the top of the hill. For total beginners getting on/off a chair can be tricky but I think most places that have the nursery slopes up high have access by gondola/cable car so it's not an issue. On Mayrhofen itself - I really like it and I've skied there several times. There's a very good beginner's area at the top of the Ahorn Cable Car, which is on the other side of the valley from the main Penken ski area. I expect that towards the end of the week you'd be moved over to the Penken side, which isn't ideal for beginners. The slopes are fairly steep and often busy.

Have you looked at Niederau? It's where I learned to ski and I loved it. Small ski area but plenty big enough for beginners. First couple of days you'll be in a class using tows down at village level, then you move on to a longer run at the top of the hill. By the end of the week you'll probably be skiing all the way down the mountain on a red run.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@wk1974, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy
Subjective opinions...
1. You'd be unlucky to be short of snow by late Jan/early Feb.
2. Ski Welt and Mayrhofen both good for beginners. Saalbach and Kitzbuhel maybe better suited to improver/intermediates - very good but a bit more expensive?? Personally I prefer Austria to Italy for beginners, for better organisation and generally good instruction (sweeping generalisations!).
3. I preferred the atmosphere of Courmayeur to Livigno but both fine for beginners. Haven't been to the other 2 Italian places.
4. As a beginner and early intermediate, I didn't like narrow icy ribbons of snow. In fact I still don't. But unless you're prepared to pay more for a 'snow sure' area, it is a very small risk to take.
...La Thuile/La Rosiere linked area springs to mind as another possible which has a good snow record and not too expensive.
5. Depends on the waiting time for a gondola up and down, which depends on the resort and time of year. A bit of internet research or questions on snowHeads should help, once you have more definite options.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.
I guess I may have been overthinking it !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne wrote:
c) would you rather be in the office?

I think that's actually the clincher for me !! Brilliant ! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@wk1974, That is how the skiing obsession begins Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@wk1974, a key factor will be finding a top rated ski school. They are not all the same. One advantage of Austria is all day ski school. Until you have mastered the basics it's easy to waste the afternoons, without progressing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
welcome to snowHead

1. Late Jan early Feb should be fine at any major resort.
2. Ski Welt is good. Would recommend Westendorf for complete beginners as the nursery slopes are in the village with a beginners chairlift (easier than drags), ski schools good and no buses needed if you are near the centre. Soll is better if you want more nightlife but the village is slightly away from the slopes. Don't know Saalbach yet (going this year) Mayrhofen and kitzbuhel are both very good but possibly less beginner friendly (and often more expensive). Have you considered a smaller resort? Many Many good Austrian options, Niederau/Alpbach, Rauris have UK TOs etc etc
4. The icy strips are usually the last run to the valley, there is no shame in taking a gondola down the last bit. Even in bad years there is snow up top to make it look pretty and all the resorts mentioned are so good at snow making and preparing that the runs will be full width and in good condition during Jan/Feb.
5. Nursery slopes in the village are good if the snow is good, and very good in bad weather as it is more sheltered, probably more important for stopping kids getting frozen than for adult beginners. Nursery slopes up high are better if the snow is limited and you are up high on the mountain with the "proper" skiers and better views. Neither is better, just different. I think a resort with the lift stations and/or runs in the village is much nicer than a car park with a bus to the village
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some comments in random order

Take some dry ski lessons or snowdome lessons in the UK before you go. Couple these with some exercises to strengthen the leg muscles used for skiing. Arriving with good strong quads and the ability to snowplough will increase the rate at which you progress.

Livigno is very high and can be really cold. Long sometimes scary transfer as the coach drivers try to make it without putting chains on. Good beginners resort.

Courmeyeur requires you to take the cable car up to the ski area most people leave their skis and boots at the top of the cable car and change there. Awesome scenery. Good beginners resort. Very snowsure.

One key thing I would look for is ski school that teaches in English. Make sure you get one that guarantees that all instruction is in English. Some info here http://welove2ski.com/where-to-learn-british-ski-schools-in-the-alps/

Mayrhofen has satellite villages eg Lanersbach and Vorderlanersbach which have been advertised as Mayerhofen and while it appears that they give access to the slopes you may need to take a free bus to get to the gondola that services the main beginners area.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Re:@ Livigno here's some footage from last year's Bash in January

http://youtube.com/v/3A1-r2iiN2M I hadn't necessarily worked out how to us the camera so footage is a bit sketchy at times..

As @TQA, it can be cold, the day from the start of the video was absolutely freezing higher up. In terms of difficulty, there were guys skiing with us that hadn't been on snow before but were getting around the mountain on most blues and some reds by the end of the week. A few others stayed on the nursery slopes outside the hotel, which are good because they aren't thoroughfares, so you can learn to ski without worrying about crowds of people charging through on the way to a lift.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1) No worries.
2) Skiwelt is a good option yes. Saalbach (or Hinterglemm) too.
3) no comment
4) you shouldn't need to worry about this when you plan to go. However, I've been out at Christmas the last two years when it has been ribbons surrounded by greenery. It makes very little difference as long as the pistes are still wide and well prepared with man made. 2 years ago we were in the Skiwelt when it was like this and the pistes weren't prepared or looked after particularly well. Saalbach on the other hand did a great job as did Ski Amade where we were last Christmas.
5) if you are a first week skier you might be limited to the nursery lower slopes anyway. So if you want to head higher you might find it too difficult to ski down (all depends on how you progress).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Query 5) interests me, because many years ago I spent my second and third skiing holidays - each of 2 weeks - at Mayrhofen. I thought it was great, and it was there that I really caught the skiing bug and also developed my penchant for Austria. (I have a friend of a friend who has been going to Mayrhofen for decades and loves it so much that he won't entertain the idea of going anywhere else.) However, I then moved on to more ski convenient resorts, where you put your skis on and take them off at the doorstep of your accommodation, rather than having to walk through the village in ski boots and queue for a cable car, or worse have to take a bus. Having spent over 20 years holidaying in a variety of French, Swiss and Austrian ski resorts (before I settled down for a life of blissful monogamy here in Saalbach), the ones that I remember most fondly are those that allowed me to ski from and to my accommodation. Perhaps I'm just lazy?

I realise that these things are subjective, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me. In retrospect I wouldn't return to Mayrhofen, or anywhere like it. IMHO a resort with nursery slopes right in the village, and pistes that lead from the higher slopes and end in the village in immensely preferable. Even better is a resort that allows you to stay right alongside the piste, eliminating any need for walking and/or bussing. Quite apart from the convenience aspect, beginners may not need a full lift pass to use the cable cars and lifts to higher slopes, until they have spent a few days learning the basics on village nursery slopes.
ski holidays
I think convenience is of the essence when skiing with kids, especially beginner kids. Getting on a bus with kids in ski boots who can't carry their skis properly is a nightmare, especially if the bus is crowded. Even getting in and out of a gondola, which often involves clumping up and down steps isn't a great way to start the day. For me, self catering within easy reach of where kids finish ski school is ideal. They will be hungry and thirsty and even a simple meal and drink for a family is expensive. At holiday times when restaurants are busy it can be far from a pleasure, too.
ski holidays
Quote:

For me, self catering within easy reach of where kids finish ski school is ideal.

I couldn't agree more wink
ski holidays
Many thanks again for the replies all !
snow report
Livigno looks real nice good video
snow conditions
^ yes, Livigno looks lovely, some beautiful wide open runs with stunning views in that vid.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy