Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade 2016-2017

Poster: A snowHead
Looks terrible Shocked You better not ski all that snow away before I get out there Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Local knowledge required if anyone has a spare minute...

We've been keeping an eye out for an apartment for the last year or so, with the eye not being quite as keen given recent exchange rate falls. Anyway an interesting looking apartment has come up directly on the slope down to the Planai base station. It looks a perfect position for skiing, but looks like it could be a PITA to get to and from town (walking for a drink or meal) or driving down in dodgy conditions. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated...

https://goo.gl/maps/1J4qrHVvwwP2
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hammerite, WoW great location.... if you don't want to go to and from town (walking for a drink and a meal).

The group of houses are at the start of the night race! So there is MASSIVE rental potential over the night race period for very, very high rates.

I don't know if you have skied planai but as you come down the main piste to the valley you ski over the tunnel that links the houses on the right and left of the piste.

This is just before the start of the black run that leads down to the valley and lift station.

You access these from Planai Strasse (which is outside the town by the jet garage).
There are busses that go up and down this road in the winter but you would have to check!
Maybe give the planai tourist info a ring and ask.

Here is the google map with a direction for driving...
https://goo.gl/maps/A8dK3M5xvLq

(and it is the only sensible route!) It is not too bad of a drive as it is the main access road for all the work traffic to mid station.

There are forest walk trails to and from this point but I wouldn't commit myself to them in the winter for a night out!

There is, however, a restaurant at this point so there will be a 'local' to eat and drink in the evening.
I would imagine a taxi would cost i the region of €20 one way to the town.

There is also good rental potential in the summer as it is perfectly located for downhill bikers.

(oh and there is the potential that you would be Heather Mills' neighbour!)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@flangesax, Thanks, yes we've skied the Planai a couple of times (one of those we were with Ange). When I saw the location I really couldn't believe it... but then the practicalities of being up there kind of made me think a bit more. Initially we're looking at somewhere to stay when we come over during winter and summer (we mountain bike too), but then somewhere that we could move to full time or spend a season in. The latter won't happen until Jnr has left school (2.5 yrs). We're not sure about renting, although for this one it would be silly not to!

For holidays and renting out it looks perfect, but maybe not for living for months at a time.

We've received details of two of the apartments in the building on consecutive days.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quick update;
Skied Flachau on Friday, was a bit rubbish tbh only a couple of runs open so Scarpa and me sacked off to Obertauern and I have to say....WOW!
Almost every run open, the pistes were pretty hard packed, I decided rather foolishly to use this day to christen my new Whitedots and spent most of the morning looking at the hill from a sideways perspective rolling eyes Afternoon softened the snow a little, it really was a great day.
Today(Sunday) we decided to pop up there again and all I can say is I dont think I have skied Obertauern in such great conditions. The pistes were a little more "grippy" as there had been a sprinkle of fresh overnight, absolutely deserted pistes, although there was a Föhn wind blowing this didn't have any ill effect. The forecast is to warm up again a little this week, but this shouldn't effect the pistes at all. All in all one of the best days I have had up there in years, I cant recommend it highly enough at the moment if anyone is deliberating about a cheeky pre season weekend. Scarpa took some pics which he will post up later,(he's busy doing chalet Bitch duties at the moment)
Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Kooky, Mabel and I went for a quick blast at Zauchensee on Saturday afternoon.
Very windy and a little wet. But there is a load of snow on those pistes!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@flangesax, there is indeed Madeye-Smiley I have already done a weeks "proper" skiing and its only Nov 20th Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hammerite, You may want to look at how much sun the apartment gets... some places are in shade most of the winter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Kooky, @flangesax, My brother and I are toying with the idea of a few days after Christmas. Toofy Grin snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Obertauern today... sinking a couple of beers with Kooky while watching the sun set behind the mountains. The last run down once the sun had set left us both grinning like loons, hardpack but with really predictable grip Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin

And earlier, about 15:00...

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarpa, snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lovely pics @Scarpa, I've actually never been up to Obertauern!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scarpa, Great photos. Bought our season passes this week. Can't wait.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@queen bodecia, It's worth a visit. We did it very early season a few years ago and had good snow but grass and mud on our expedition to the bottom. Happy memories. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Been in Hauser Kaibling and Schladming last two days. Really good piste conditions for the time of year. Pistes softened due to rain yesterday morning, then light snow overnight and sun later today. Warm weather will cause some melt over next week, but good piste management should keep things ok for now.
ski holidays
Only phone pics... the real thing was much more stunning Cool
latest report
More flights booked tonight Happy so that's January and February taken care of........
ski holidays
A week at new year, 2 weeks in January, a week..maybe 2.. in March...bring it on!
snow report
19 days until we kick-off.
ski holidays
A week in Jan, a week in March. Then maybe just maybe FOREVER at some point next year... wink
snow report
@queen bodecia, Oh, that sounds like a plan. Fingers crossed. Tell us more when you can.
latest report
Sounds good @queen bodecia - good luck making it happen!
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, oooh...exciting!
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, Very Happy
snow report
Thanks all. There's a lot to do, not to mention a house to sell and lots of saving up. But certain events of 2016 have moved me from a state of idle dreaming to actual planning.

I won't litter this thread, I'll create one of my own once there's something worth announcing.
latest report
Just booked for 11 days in Feb/March yayyy!!!!
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, sounds fab x
snow report
4th annual ski trip for opening weekend in Schladming set for Thurs 1st Dec.
1st year - powder, 2nd year - glacier skiing at Kaprun, last year - just great conditions. Fingers crossed for this year. Oh.....and the Schladminger beer has always been ice cold!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@speachmaus, Oh..when & where?
ski holidays
Can't wait to see you all Toofy Grin
snow report
@holidayloverxx, my friend Anna and I are taking up Kooky n Scarpa offer of rooms at theirs 25 Feb then we're going over to Radstadt to catch up with Nightcap n co for a few days. Unfortunately I can't do whole week as I need to be back for work. So we leave on 8th March. Hopefully catch up with you if you're out then.
snow report
I'm cooking her a massive haggis tonight after a cheeky afternoon ski tour... hopefully she will survive the experience and still be about wink
ski holidays
Mmmmmm haggis lush. I hope you have swede n tatties too?
ski holidays
@speachmaus, cool. We will be in Flachau from the 4th march
snow report
@holidayloverxx, ok hopefully catch up for a ski and maybe birthday drinks?
snow conditions
Neeps laddie, neeps.................

smashed neeps an' champit tatties.

swede? what is the world coming to?
snow conditions
@Maersk, believe me this LASSIE knows about neeps. It's actually bashed neeps n chappit tatties but as Scarpa may not be aufait with Scots I wrote something I thought he would understand. 😉
snow conditions
@Maersk, also curious about you name and tag line. I work on Maersk Gryphon.
ski holidays
@speachmaus, birthday is day after you leave. I will just have to extend the celebrations!
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, ok extended birthday then 🍻🍹🍸⛷❄
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy