Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A day in Whistler/Blackcomb

Poster: A snowHead
Work takes me to Vancouver the week after next and I have a day off whilst there to go skiing. The logistics of getting to Whistler are straightforward enough.
I’m looking for advice on the skiing.

Do people generally ski on one or other of the mountains for the day or is it easy enough to travel between the two?
Which has steeper terrain?
Which is better if it’s snowing (ie more trees).
Which is better for off-piste skiing and which is better for staying on piste?

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both have their steep bits. I think my favourite area is around the Blackcomb glacier because it feels so wild. The downside is that it takes quite a long time to get back to it once you’ve finished the run.

There’s tons of challenging stuff off Whistler peak (and other places too).

Only downside is the cost of a day pass Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What they said.

You can also do Cypress and Grouse etc, but check the conditions as they are lower and nothing's good in the rain.
Cypress is my choice of those. Here's Cypress, downtown is to the left.

Whistler
The high-level "peak to peak" thing is easy enough to use and quick, and everyone should do it once. Or you can "switch mountains" at the bottom. Just keep your speed to ride down from Blackcomb base to Whistler, or going the other way catch the left hand gondola. If it's raining in the village then you'd use the high level connect to avoid riding through that.

Blackcomb feels a bit more open overall and has some steeper stuff here and there. You can see where the trees are in the piste map. Don't want to get into debates about where the best off piste is. On a powder day I'd be queueing for that left hand gondola. Bear in mind that if it's snowing, they don't open everything first thing, so you need to ask around and plan where to go if it's busy.

The week after next is pretty early season.
I would definitely check conditions and don't expect the off piste to be filled in that early. It probably won't be that busy though.

This is up on the Blackcomb side looking across at Whistler.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you. Tbh I can ski the local skiing at any point because I go there fairly regularly, hence wanting to take the opportunity to head up to Whistler on my day off.

I’ll check conditions nearer the time and make a decision.
Cheers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

http://youtube.com/v/rat3ooRvcI8

That video might help you decide where to ski, or open up more questions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@zzz, been a while since I was there but I think we liked Blackcomb more ...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Advice is fairly pointless because you'll be constrained by what is open. Then snow conditions and visibility.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was there early season last year and there were only a few lifts open, so that will probably be your limiting factor
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swskier, seen it and that’s what got me thinking Very Happy

@under a new name, skiing at ridiculous speed on hard and icy pistes then Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Best apres is right in Whistler Village where both mountains join together.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes,

Hence why I asked a number of questions. Thanks for your positive contribution; not sure why you made your effort!

@SLB79, thanks

@skithesteelstealtheski, thanks, any bar recommendations?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@zzz, first morning of first week we too an instructor to show us round … he got a bit of a shock when Big Bird overtook him … we had warned him Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My vage recollection is we liked Spanky’s Ladder rather a lot and the gladed tree runs. Not sure how much of that will have adequately filled in.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name,
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@zzz, you can, I am sure, imagine … Skullie Skullie
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,

Hence why I asked a number of questions. Thanks for your positive contribution; not sure why you made your effort!

@SLB79, thanks

@skithesteelstealtheski, thanks, any bar recommendations?

Well I was going to respond with more but other people had basically got it covered and really truly your options on what to ski will be more influenced by what's open and visibility than any differences between the mountains. Neither mountain lacks steep terrain nor more than adequate off piste. I'd give Blackcomb the edge on trees because of the Crystal zone but you could equally make the case for Red/emerald. And anyway with one day to spend as a first timer unless you luck into some spectacular pow you'll probably want to hit both mountains just to get a feel for the place.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes,

Thank you, appreciated.

zzz
latest report
@zzz,

As above.
Very early season and no massive dumps yet this season.
Base is about 70cm which isn't a lot - needs to be about 2m before most fun stuff gets really going.
It's raining pretty hard here at the moment and not super warm so will be snowing in Whistler. Bit more forecast for next week.

Don't go to Creekside! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@zzz, Irrespective of the snow conditions (which will probably be decent enough for a great day) just revel in the lack of crowds as Whistler's lift system really can't handle the lines at weekends in peak season and you can spend 45 minutes - or longer - in certain lift queues (worse Blackcomb side in my experience). My work trip always coincides with ML Day or Pride so super busy. Personally, I like Mt Seymour of the local hills but lucked out on conditions tbf.

To answer your question, it is possible to ski both sides on a day and I like aspects of both; there is possibly slightly more variety on Blackcomb, but agree with @phil w that it is not worth arguing which is better; there is great stuff on both mountains and I am sure you won't be disappointed! First world problem Very Happy
ski holidays
Some good advice already.

Personally, I'd avoid the trees this early in the season, too much exposed stuff until a lot more snow (2m said above is a good guide for when things are more filled in).

Peak 2 peak lift is an experience in itself and a good excuse to scratch the surface a little of both hills. Both have ample amounts of every type of terrain you can imagine. It really comes down more to personal preference than one clearly being better/worse.

Harmony on whistler is a great area for first timers because it's easy to lap and you can see pretty much all the terrain from the chair. Similar for 7th heaven on blackcomb which also offers some great views of whistler.

Worth taking peak chair at least once, if off piste isn't filled in the saddle is a nice steep (normally groomed) route down.

If off piste isn't filled in for piste cruising crystal, 7th heaven, emerald, are all good areas.
snow conditions
We’re doing Whistler at the end of March (not sure what the conditions will be like this late on in the season). Bucket list ski area for me and my partner just ‘happened’ to have a work conference there. We’re staying in the Fairmont courtesy of my partners work Toofy Grin The current plan is to drive up from the Seattle area, have 5-6 days in Whistler then meander back via another resort south of the border for a day or two before we head back home.

Any advice for 2 first timers to the area? I’ll be taking my own skis but my partner’s on the fence about taking hers - any rental companies worth going with / avoiding?

I’ve skied East and West coast US and French Alps since I was a kid so am happy on pretty much anything, however I get more enjoyment out of cruising (US) blues and moguls, knees permitting. My partner is relatively new (perfectly able, but lacks confidence) and is happy on (European) blues with the odd red mixed in for a challenge.
snow conditions
All rentals in Whistler are pretty good, but as a result they carry a fair price tag. As you'll be at Blackcomb base you'll probably want to rent around there, though it's really not far to walk back from the village with some.

I was going to suggest Mt Baker for a very different experience south of the border but it's not really a groomer paradise. Worth stopping by for a day though to experience the legend.
snow report
You can't really go wrong. Well, check the weather so you don't go anywhere too warm or which was just rained on.

The border... you will need to pay the rental company a bit more for crossing it. They will probably have M&S tyres anyway (legal for BC roads including the Sea to Sky, and what I use for getting to Whistler) and try to upsell you to full winter tyres. The border people going in either direction can take extra time for visitors whose backgrounds they don't expect.

Many rental outlets in Whistler are resort owned (Showcase etc). I've never heard of any bad ones. Rent from somewhere you can take them back to swap if they're not right etc. I vaguely know someone in the local "delivered rentals" business and they look like they should be good too, if that's your thing.
ski holidays
Quote:
Do people generally ski on one or other of the mountains for the day or is it easy enough to travel between the two?

I don’t know about other people, I tend to stay in one mountain. There’re enough on each mountain to entertain me for a day. And since you’re interested in skiing the trees, you’ll find plenty in whichever mountain you set your skis on. Same for steeps, piste or off.

That said, you can easily skip over to the other mountain via the Peak2Peak gondola. Still, I wouldn’t bother doing the round trip though. Once is a novelty. Twice a bore.

Post some pictures please.
snow report
@zzz,

Not sure if you've made it up to Whistler yet, but if not a bit of a roving report for you...

Was really cold today, and snow was light. I did a bit of a mini tour up to harmony before it opened for the first time this season. Some nice skiing down, but had to be really careful with the line choice as not a lot of base, lots of rocks. Snow was pretty decent though.
Not crazy busy, though on Whistler Red chair still doesn't seem to be quite finished and running yet, Creekside gondola still also got a bit more constructing to do.
Ski out nearly pretty much good to go down to the village thanks to ton of snowmaking, but icy in spots.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy