Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better!
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Strax,
Quote:

@intermediate, he said it wasn't good news for uk tour operators. I am suggesting it has just increased their turnover in GBP.

Thanks for clarifying. Let's see how things pan out in the real world next season.

I reckon the 'average' snow sport break for GB based punters will cost significantly more than a couple of years ago. Some evidence that major GB operators trimming back capacity. Brochure prices higher. Late booking bargain deals scarce last winter. Most other components of a typical break up in price.

Don't think there'll be a meltdown in the winter sports market, but certainly a reduction. Downward trend in number of visitor days in snow resorts since peak of 2009 likely to continue.

For some people that might be good news, if they're affluent and prefer exclusive and uncrowded holidays. But for some the jump in costs will mean they just can't afford it.
I don't think there's much doubt that the title of this thread will turn out to be true.
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@stanton, if 1000's of people don't care enough to buy currency online and get it at airports with a 15-20% hit, then a drop from 113 to 110 is not going to make a difference at all.

As for buying packages. If I was a tour operator I'd be trading all these European hotels against each other.

You see, if so few people are going to go abroad due to your Armageddon hypothesis then these hotels will be 5h1tting themselves and will do anything to get the business and will drop their pants in prices.

Off course....... none of this will happen.

Cheers
GC


Indeed.

This year I've got 3 ski hols booked so far, with only the PSB to book.

Of the 3 already booked the accommodation is the same price as last year, as it was the year before. The only cost increase to me will be lift pass and pocket money once I'm there. That's hardly going to be massive and certainly not some thing I'll cry about.

As for the PSB I'll wait and see but in fairness to Adi G, he barters the price down and the price is static at the moment you pay in full.

I don't look at package hol costs so for those who do them I sympathise as I suspect prices will rise due to holiday companies protecting themselves, however that said I can never understand why people do package hols, especially with ski hols - it's so easy to arrange yourself and you don't get the likes of Mark Warner emailing you with a few weeks to go demanding more money....
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@GlasgowCyclops, Hotels will not drop their prices. They probably rather sell because tbe operating costs & taxes are so high.

Just go online & see how many Hotels are for sale in Austria. 5-10 yrs ag you would never of seen that.

One reason high end resorts in Austria have been focussing on the Asian market as they have & will spend a lot of money.

Tbh. Most resorts in Austria would like to see the all inckusice chalets dissapear.


Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 6-08-17 10:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PaulC1984 wrote:
I can never understand why people do package hols, especially with ski hols - it's so easy to arrange yourself and you don't get the likes of Mark Warner emailing you with a few weeks to go demanding more money....



I can never understand why anyone books holidays so ar in adcance when there is no guarantee of snow
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PaulC1984,
Quote:

I can never understand why people do package hols, especially with ski hols

For many people, package holidays have been good value and convenient. For example, families with young children. Far less hassle for parents booking a package than arranging separate components themselves.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@stanton,
Quote:

I can never understand why anyone books holidays so ar in adcance when there is no guarantee of snow

Much to be said for late booking to increase chances of good snow. Done it myself many times and recommend it to some people.
It doesn't work so well for large groups, families stuck with school holidays or those wanting a specific resort. TOs offer enticing deals for early booking, eg to families with young children.
There are quite a few areas where decent snow more or less certain for most of the season.
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Hotels will not drop their prices. They probably rather sell because tbe operating costs & taxes are so high.

Just go online & see how many Hotels are for sale in Austria. 5-10 yrs ag you would never of seen that.

One reason high end resorts in Austria have been focussing on the Asian market as they have & will spend a lot of money.

Tbh. Most resorts in Austria would like to see the all inckusice chalets dissapear.


I'm sure I do more hotel searches in only a year than you have done in your life. I know. In July I've been in Manchester, Andover, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul and currently in Tokyo.

right now with a random 10th of Feb in cortina for a week. <£400
And cortina is not the cheapest. I'm sure I could search around for more but I'm not that obsessed.
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
I can never understand why people do package hols, especially with ski hols - it's so easy to arrange yourself and you don't get the likes of Mark Warner emailing you with a few weeks to go demanding more money....



I can never understand why anyone books holidays so ar in adcance when there is no guarantee of snow


Simple. You book your accommodation on a fully refundable basis, through the likes of hotels.com.

Not only does this allow you to adjust your plans last minute based on weather but also allows you to keep an eye out for cheaper prices.

Those holidays you do firm up and book flights for, you ensure are snow sure etc.

Bit of common sense that Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PaulC1984, if you live in the hills you dont havevthese problems.

Goodluck
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, They aren't problems, half the fun is in the planing and watching weather forecasts endlessly Happy
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PaulC1984 wrote:
@stanton, They aren't problems, half the fun is in the planing and watching weather forecasts endlessly Happy


The other half is watching stantroll repeatedly making an idiot of himself
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PaulC1984, Weather, I just look at the sky, decide , walk down to the train station, hike & slide Very Happy
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thornyhill wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
@stanton, They aren't problems, half the fun is in the planing and watching weather forecasts endlessly Happy


The other half is watching stantroll repeatedly making an idiot of himself


This is true Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
@PaulC1984, Weather, I just look at the sky, decide , walk down to the train station, hike & slide Very Happy


Kind of makes me wonder why you spend all your time Brexit Bashing then Happy
snow report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PaulC1984, I have brother who does the same thing. Constantly Brexit bashing and Brexiteer bashing on social media.
He's lived in France since 2000!
Same as Stanton, utterly convinced by his own argument, opinionated with so many pre-conceptions on the real world and how others live: most of which do not reflect reality.
And then when called, some supercilious bs
Quote:

if you live in the hills you dont havevthese problems.


19 pages of sH entertainment tho. Toofy Grin
snow conditions     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Strax, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First world problems
snow conditions     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Strax, seeing as Europe is in the first world, how will it be anything other than a first world problem? Not sure what point you're trying to make there.
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dr John, its a colloquialism of the modern generation, suggesting that we are spoilt and over indulgent.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PaulC1984 wrote:
I can never understand why people do package hols, especially with ski hols - it's so easy to arrange yourself and you don't get the likes of Mark Warner emailing you with a few weeks to go demanding more money....


Depending on your circumstances it can be cheaper. My first ski holiday was 3 of us paying £455 each for everything bar food/drink. Also you pass the risk to others, it's easy to DIY up until things go wrong, then it can get expensive.

So although I no longer really book through a TO (seem to mostly go with snowheads these days) I definitely get where people are coming from.
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Strax, you're on a skiing enthusiast website mate, there has never been a more spoiled or self indulgent pastime.
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
I can never understand why people do package hols, especially with ski hols - it's so easy to arrange yourself and you don't get the likes of Mark Warner emailing you with a few weeks to go demanding more money....


Depending on your circumstances it can be cheaper. My first ski holiday was 3 of us paying £455 each for everything bar food/drink. Also you pass the risk to others, it's easy to DIY up until things go wrong, then it can get expensive.

So although I no longer really book through a TO (seem to mostly go with snowheads these days) I definitely get where people are coming from.

Fair comment Toofy Grin
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
@davidof, should be good for shopping tourism as well as online buying from overseas.

Got to be careful what I wish for, the USD is also dropping and news reports tonight talk of France going back into recession as they are having trouble exporting to the UK and US. No good having a strong currency and no job.
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John wrote:
@Strax, you're on a skiing enthusiast website mate, there has never been a more spoiled or self indulgent pastime.


Oh I don't know - the white collar triathletes I see in the office bunking off for a 2 hour swim then coming back in and ordering a new carbon wheel set are pretty good at the self indulgence.
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, yep, bikes, cars, boats and even golf are equally self indulgent.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LATEST NEWS
POUND DROPS TO EIGHT YEAR LOW !!!
LOWEST SINCE 16 OCTOBER 2009
POUND DOWN 25% IN 15 MONTHS

1.10048 16/10/2009
1.42323 19/11/2015
1.10048 8/8/2017


Pound To Euro Forecast
Dec 2017 1.060
Oct 2018 1.007
Mar 2019 0.981
Jun 2019 0.898

Demand for HSBC Currency Accounts, which let customers hold cash in foreign currencies in the UK, spiked 23 per cent in June
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LATEST NEWS

Pound rises .3% since Stantons forecast.
Stanton carefully picks stats from a virtual all time high. Long term average is 1.25.
Meanwhile UK stock markets bounce off all time highs, unemployment falls to lowest rate for many years and number of jobs in UK at all time high.

Chocksaway smiles and books another season's ski holiday.
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, this us not about the stock market or jobs.
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
@chocksaway, this us not about the stock market or jobs.


No, cos that's good news, which you don't do.
snow report     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway, are you suggesting it is in someway not more expensive this year?
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chocksaway wrote:

Long term average is 1.25.
Meanwhile UK stock markets bounce off all time highs, unemployment falls to lowest rate for many years and number of jobs in UK at all time high.

Chocksaway smiles and books another season's ski holiday.


TBF it has been below 1.20 since June last year and shows no signs of being much higher than 1.15 for the foreseeable future. Whether that bothers anyone is another matter.

The stock market is traditionaly high when the pound is low, because most major companies in the FT500 make more money abroad than they do from the UK. The exchange rate boosts their profits.

The jobs thing is not good news. Anything less than 5% unemployed is considered to be 'full employment'. This means that any increase in activity puts very direct pressure on wage levels as companies struggle to service the demand. This creates inflation. This is something the BoE have become increasingly concerned about and interest rates are under much more pressure than they were in May 2016. As the EU work force slowly repatriates without being naturally replaced, we will find wage pressure from an economy that is actually shrinking.

In my sector, construction, the industry is predicted to be serviced by over 30% EU immigrants. My own company had over 60% EU workers in June last year, that is now just over 50%. Many have left because they have simply 'done their time' away from families, some because they no longer want to live here after the referendum and quite a few because the fall in sterling value means the money they send home is now worth much less. Those that had 'done their shift' away from home were always replaced by new entrants, but we are finding it harder to recruit and are moderating our workload to suit. We aren't the only ones doing this.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bar shaker wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

Long term average is 1.25.
Meanwhile UK stock markets bounce off all time highs, unemployment falls to lowest rate for many years and number of jobs in UK at all time high.

Chocksaway smiles and books another season's ski holiday.


TBF it has been below 1.20 since June last year and shows no signs of being much higher than 1.15 for the foreseeable future. Whether that bothers anyone is another matter.

The stock market is traditionaly high when the pound is low, because most major companies in the FT500 make more money abroad than they do from the UK. The exchange rate boosts their profits.

The jobs thing is not good news. Anything less than 5% unemployed is considered to be 'full employment'. This means that any increase in activity puts very direct pressure on wage levels as companies struggle to service the demand. This creates inflation. This is something the BoE have become increasingly concerned about and interest rates are under much more pressure than they were in May 2016. As the EU work force slowly repatriates without being naturally replaced, we will find wage pressure from an economy that is actually shrinking.

In my sector, construction, the industry is predicted to be serviced by over 30% EU immigrants. My own company had over 60% EU workers in June last year, that is now just over 50%. Many have left because they have simply 'done their time' away from families, some because they no longer want to live here after the referendum and quite a few because the fall in sterling value means the money they send home is now worth much less. Those that had 'done their shift' away from home were always replaced by new entrants, but we are finding it harder to recruit and are moderating our workload to suit. We aren't the only ones doing this.


And the FTSE also rises because the shares become relatively cheaper for overseas large investors to purchase, due to the exchange rate.
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bar shaker wrote:

The jobs thing is not good news. Anything less than 5% unemployed is considered to be 'full employment'.


It is if you would otherwise have been unemployed. rolling eyes
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bar shaker wrote:


TBF it has been below 1.20 since June last year and shows no signs of being much higher than 1.15 for the foreseeable future. Whether that bothers anyone is another matter.

The stock market is traditionaly high when the pound is low, because most major companies in the FT500 make more money abroad than they do from the UK. The exchange rate boosts their profits.

The jobs thing is not good news. Anything less than 5% unemployed is considered to be 'full employment'. This means that any increase in activity puts very direct pressure on wage levels as companies struggle to service the demand. This creates inflation. This is something the BoE have become increasingly concerned about and interest rates are under much more pressure than they were in May 2016. As the EU work force slowly repatriates without being naturally replaced, we will find wage pressure from an economy that is actually shrinking.

In my sector, construction, the industry is predicted to be serviced by over 30% EU immigrants. My own company had over 60% EU workers in June last year, that is now just over 50%. Many have left because they have simply 'done their time' away from families, some because they no longer want to live here after the referendum and quite a few because the fall in sterling value means the money they send home is now worth much less. Those that had 'done their shift' away from home were always replaced by new entrants, but we are finding it harder to recruit and are moderating our workload to suit. We aren't the only ones doing this.



finally someone who understands please post this in Apres Ski "Brexit"

more

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/7296-gbp-to-eur-and-usd-profound-selling-ahead
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dr John, This thread was started by our resident troll about last season talking about 16/17. All I do is try and offer a counterpoint to the pile of false news he spreads amongst some carefully chosen facts. I know he generally ignores these and when challenged either waits for the page to roll over/uses phrase like his last comment to censor other users/tells me I do not understand. Of course if someone agrees with him then he is all over it like a spoilt school child - see above.

As to your point, yes next season will be a little more expensive, the pound bought around 1.16 a year ago against 1.11 now, though it did drop to 1.09 (according to the BBC website) in October 16. So my season away will cost me another £200 or so, but then I won't be paying UK fuel prices to heat my home! If of course I decided to sell my apartment I would be distinctly richer in pounds. Horses for courses and different ways of looking at things as you will inevitably get on a forum. Take the post above, lower unemployment and higher wages would make a lot of politicians smile, someone owning a business maybe not. If this results in higher inflation then interest rates will rise, relieving a lot of pensioners from the savings trap. In summary there is no one answer to anything in economics but I hope my posts are balance (in gereral and not when replying to Stantroll) and not the result of an unfathomable xenophobia.
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bar Shaker

I would take the view that unemployment can't keep falling (and will start rising), in the light of consumer spending dropping due to inflation rising faster than wages and investment falling as a result of the uncertainty.

The current troubled waters has us, quite understandably, scrabbling round for some Flotsam to cling onto, that would normally be let float by unnoticed.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, so next season is going to cost you £200 more.

I think most folk will think that is a lot of money.

Do you live in a middle class bubble?
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He said 'season' not 'week' - which could be described as middle class Smile- so a few beers a week extra.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
@chocksaway, so next season is going to cost you £200 more.

I think most folk will think that is a lot of money.

Do you live in a middle class bubble?


£200 is a lot extra for a week away yes..... But for a Whole season!!! NOPE! Thats 2 decent meals out, hardly call that breaking the bank!
snow conditions     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy