Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.macrotrends.net/1369/crude-oil-price-history-chart
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kind of squashed in the higher $20 price bands haven't they?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Frank Spencer, my post was in response to yours saying oil price is falling. It isn't.

If you want the data for other years I suggest you DIY. It would also be worth mapping it to the £:$ rate as that will give a true cost in the UK.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Kind of squashed in the higher $20 price bands haven't they?

Log scale. You can untick that option.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last 2 candles on a daily chart are red. We can all cherry pick. Bottom line is everyone's hedged and price/currency/interest rate exposure is minimalized. When oil was at $147 in 2008 there were no surcharges. When it was $34 earlier this year, no refunds either. If there are prices rises for some next year? Either someone's trying to have your eyes out or they need a new broker...or both.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There WERE fuel surcharges back in '08, on flights at least. £30/leg was common. And back in '08 $147/barrel was £116/barrel. Today's $50/barrel is £45 - but with oil prices set to rise/the pound to fall we'll be looking at £116/barrel when oil hits around $110, not $150/barrel.

As for the oil hedges, these run out and when the do the new ones being negotiated now won't be half as good. Hedges don't stop price changes, they just delay their impact and give businesses certainty for a period of time so they can plan and budget.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oil hedges do not 'run out'. That way lies madness. Nor are they 'negotiated'. They're worked out to the cent, then executed on the markets. Any business with exposure to oil price, currency and interest rate fluctuations will be hedged as tight as a drum at all times. At least all our clients are. They don't even have to do anything either, the investment bank does all the work...for a pittance!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crystal selling NY packages cheap at the mo, so all is not lost.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were planning on heading out first week in March with Action Outdoors. Since last Friday all week prices have gone up by £40 or so, which is greater than 5% on the costs

(I'm only assuming it was because of the conversion rate, mind you, I haven't been tracking the UCPA.fr web rates)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just bought a sandwich for £2.10, I don't think that's bad? I am sure I paid more in a service station on a motorway in France last year.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has anyone booked Andorra hotel, lift pass and equipment through Esquiades.com?Even with the weak pound the deals seem pretty good. The company is based in Spain and has been around for a number of years.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I usually take a jar of marmite with me on a ski holiday to spread on a morning baguette/piece of toast, this coming season however my holiday will certainly be more expensive due to the inevitable increase in the price of marmite! This of course is dependent on me finding a jar of marmite Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Marmite was only unavailable at Tesco Online. That dispute is now settled so no problems for us Marmite addicts
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll sell you half a jar of squeezy Marmite for €500 Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lets just call it Brexit spread from now on.
snow report
Minion1980 wrote:
Lets just call it Brexit spread from now on.

Very appropriate, given how "Marmite" Brexit is.
ski holidays
@Rabbie, that one may be settled but more are incoming...
ski holidays
@under a new name, Sure you're right.
Prices are going to go up to cover the lower value of the pound
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
I'll sell you half a jar of squeezy Marmite for €500 Toofy Grin

Fair enough with the price, but a squeezy jar??? Something doesn't seem right about this deal! I sense you may be trying to rip me off Sad Sad Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Don't spread it about Shocked
snow conditions
Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive! That was the Title ...

but in the future UK winter sporters could have fewer holiday days and lower holiday pay.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/workers-rghts-secured-by-european-court-decisions-threatened-by-brexit-a7367876.html
snow conditions
@stanton, scary stuff Sad
snow conditions
I use a small, independent ski operator for solo trips to Morzine and they've just had to put their prices up due to dropping value of the pound.
snow report
It'd be a brave (suicidal?) government that starts rolling back the workers rights that have been implemented recently - especially around holiday and parental leave. Strangely enough they were very popular with the workers (who're obviously also the electorate!)

Anyway, to revert to the thread title: 1st 2017 ski trip - Dolomites at 1/2 term - was 70% paid for in March so a comparatively good deal. However just booked the same apartment in Chamonix we had at Easter this year and it's 40% more expensive for same period next year Sad I suspect a fair amount of that will be AirBnB cashing in as well as the exchange rate as I doubt the owners of the property have raised the price much - if at all given how late Easter is..

The balance of the 1/2 term trip is going to hurt, and if FX rates don't recover a bit I doubt we'll be able to afford to book it again for 2018 Crying or Very sad (Unless we don't go twice and that is NOT an option!)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 19-10-16 13:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

but in the future UK winter sporters could have fewer holiday days and lower holiday pay.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/workers-rghts-secured-by-european-court-decisions-threatened-by-brexit-a7367876.html

Conjecture, and politicians like staying in power, there will not be a reduction in either.
latest report
Our resident troll doesn't understand the meaning of could and may - reads them as would and will
latest report
@Boris, This is true, but I have joined alpinforums.com user name stantonprobrexit and I am mocking europe and how crap Germany is. Is that trolling?
snow report
@Boris, +1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@blahblahblah, @Boris, @PaulC1984,

Please keep on topic

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!
snow conditions
Mine might not be. I will take sandwiches, a beer and a flask up in my sack when I ski, probably will cost about €2.50 a day instead of €12. That should save me over €800 as long as I can resist Apres. I needed to get healthier anyhow Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Seems that there are deals out there, especially for Christmas.

Alpine Elements BB/TRANSFER/FLIGHTS/PASSES/SKIS 24TH December £2800.00 for family of 4 La Plagne.

So pizza for dinner and a sandwich at lunch £3000.00, I think that is ok.
latest report
http://future.aae.wisc.edu/data/weekly_values/by_area/3278?tab=prices

What is going on with the EDAM index, it's gone up 50% in Europe, Dutch expats hit hard in the wallets.
snow report
stanton wrote:

I guess one way to alleviate fears over the falling pound and increased costs when going on holiday is to just stop people going on holiday Wink
snow report
eddiethebus wrote:
stanton wrote:

I guess one way to alleviate fears over the falling pound and increased costs when going on holiday is to just stop people going on holiday Wink

I am doing my bit, no skiing this year, stick that in your pipe Europe.
snow conditions
Quote:

I will take sandwiches, a beer and a flask up in my sack when I ski, probably will cost about €2.50 a day instead of €12.

Yes, but that €2.50 might cost you the same in ££s that last season's €12 did...
snow report
http://www.politico.eu/article/eu-budget-takes-a-pounding-from-uk-currency-woes/
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:
http://future.aae.wisc.edu/data/weekly_values/by_area/3278?tab=prices

What is going on with the EDAM index, it's gone up 50% in Europe, Dutch expats hit hard in the wallets.

Once again @blahblahblah, Please keep on Topic.

We are not talking about the price of Dutch cheese unless its related to Fondue prices in the Alps but as far as I know they only use Swiss Gruyere & Emmental Cheese Very Happy

Same applies to Little Martin Please keep on Topic.

Little Martin wrote:
http://www.politico.eu/article/eu-budget-takes-a-pounding-from-uk-currency-woes/
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Please keep on Topic.

Perhaps you would be happier with a blog somewhere else so that you could control any comments.
latest report
eddiethebus wrote:
... I guess one way to alleviate fears over the falling pound and increased costs when going on holiday is to just stop people going on holiday Wink

Yeah, those experts who say everything we buy is actually made abroad are disloyal moaners. Anyway, we'll have a Royal yacht - that'll fix it.
ski holidays
LizziaR wrote:
Has anyone booked Andorra hotel, lift pass and equipment through Esquiades.com?Even with the weak pound the deals seem pretty good. The company is based in Spain and has been around for a number of years.

I've just booked 4* Anyos Park direct for Feb Half Term - €2000 - Family of 4 Half Board inc Vallnord Ski Passes. Also booked flight (LHR > BCN) with BA for £550 inc 4 x 23kg bags/skis.

Vallnord, Grandvalira site all have Accom/Lift pass deals.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy