Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
stanton wrote:
Depending On Thursday´s EU meeting we may see parity by the end of this week

I hope you've got the Kleenex ready
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Those figures are really strange.." Very....!

The ski pack prices are all over the place - e.g. list pass in Serre Che = £790 !!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-news-pound-sterling-euro-parity-eu-trade-deal-uk-theresa-may-a8002996.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Pound took a hit a short while ago on the rumour of walking away "Talks Crash"

Depending On Thursday´s EU meeting we may see parity by the end of this week .

Funnily enough the pound is UP against the Euro on today’s trading. That is really the re.evant rate for us skiing in Europe
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@albob, that's a season pass price.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LaForet wrote:
I agree that there are loads of good exporters, and of course, if you're exporting services then you have no raw materials. The £3K is just meant to try and put £80bn into terms more familiar to the average person. We get lots of very big numbers thrown around in the media (on both sides of the argument) but often they're hard to put in context. And as mentioned, not all imports are to households: a lot is to industry and is raw materials which are then exported again as higher-margin goods.

We get a lot of forecasts about good/bad future consequences of Leave/Remain. But it's all a bit speculative.

My concern is that we were told that if there was a Leave result, not to worry about any devaluation: Yes, imports would cost more, but exports would be cheaper, foreigners would buy more, and we'd end up in credit. BoE figures to date say this hasn't happened and the gap between the cost of imports and the value of exports was £80bn in the last 12 months.

For some people, the notional £250/month is 'a price worth paying' for the promised benefits of Brexit. Which of course, to some extent we won't start to realise until 2019+. And/or is worth it for other perceived, non-financial benefits. But it's a hefty sum accruing in the 'debit' column and I think people are starting to ask what is in the 'credit' column, how much it will be, and when it will appear? I don't expect a Forum to answer this, but I do expect it from some of the key political proponents and the Government.

I used to be an exporter and sent stuff to every continent except Africa. There is a twist of the truth in the current sound bites, Johnson et al say that we will make up the trade loss by exporting to the rest of the world. This totally ignores the fact that all exporting companies already sell to the rest of the world that a) wants their products and b) can afford them. When we leave the EU, we are not going to suddenly export tens of thousands of Range Rovers to Peru.

The Green party is just about to issue proceedings against the government as they have repeatedly said they will issue the detailed financial models of all Brexit outcome options 'soon'. Apparently they feel that 'soon' has been and gone and have crowd-funded enough money to seek a judicial review on the continued refusal to release the figures. I think they will make interesting reading, but can already hear the Leave campaign saying that they are Project Fear phase II.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:

That is both vague and incorrect.

£ is up, and Depending and May, aren't really saying much.

So come on then Stanton, give us an actual prediction

Will we see parity at the end of the week:

YES or NO
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stanton, or we may not
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells wrote:
@albob, that's a season pass price.

That would make sense - but the report does say "6 day pass"

(We need to be careful now-- Stanton will tells us off for not keeping on topic.... Wink )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/tP6izABX05k
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Austria

FYI.. Statisitics published today. Prices have risen 5.4% (on average) in the last year on everyday goods. Butter being the highest over 45%
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You still havnt answered my question Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PaulC1984, We will see tomorrow after EU meeting. (Opening Friday)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
@PaulC1984, We will see tomorrow after EU meeting. (Opening Friday)

But you seemed rather certain the other day - why cant you just say Yes or No.

Ill put myself out here and say NO to parity on Friday - your turn!
snow report
stanton wrote:
Austria

FYI.. Statisitics published today. Prices have risen 5.4% (on average) in the last year on everyday goods.

Interesting. Lift pass price increases are similar: http://tirol.orf.at/m/news/stories/2871797/
latest report
@PaulC1984, I said "may" see parity. That is neither Yes or No.

A negative reaction from the EU (expected) will cause further instability for the UK. The Pound will fall.

The only thing that will keep the Pound artificially higher (disguise its weakness against the euro) is an intervention I(Rente Rate Increase) by your BoE
snow conditions
Let's do the Butter test. Carrefour own brand €1.53 for 250g which at currently €1.12 - £1 equates to £1.42, Asda own brand butter £1.40 for 250g.
The price of butter has more to do with the current European shortage of milk caused by those short sighted Dairy companies underpaying farmers for their milk in the past causing a drastic reduction in the UK Dairy herd.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

A negative reaction from the EU (expected) will cause further instability for the UK. The Pound will fall.

The only thing that will keep the Pound artificially higher (disguise its weakness against the euro) is an intervention I(Rente Rate Increase) by your BoE

Rate rise has been put back due to inflation figures.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

So a totally forking meaningless statement then. As usual Razz Razz Razz
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

And the Euro "could" collapse in 2017. That is also neither Yes or No. However the person who said that at the start of the year is Joseph E. Stiglitz, a professor at Columbia University, recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics in 2001, so slightly more economically qualified to comment than you I suspect. Laughing
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, you are using the word "slightly" in a manner with which I am unfamiliar.
latest report
@Arctic Roll, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Sterling is dead currency long term . Better to adopt the Swiss Franc if anything.
snow report
@stanton, you really do speak some rubbish. Sterling will only be a dead currency if it stops being used in Britain which is unlikely. Sure it is not a strong as it was but it is impossible to forecast how it will fare in the long term - although I am sure in the short to mid term it will be under pressure. There are plenty of other week currencies in the world that are not 'dead'.
snow conditions
@J9, i didnt say there were not plenty other dead currency's...there are hundreds..

A few will remain..

Dollar
Euro
Swiss Franc
latest report
stanton wrote:

A few will remain..

Swiss Franc

NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

Cos that's like, REALLY used around the world. Cool
snow conditions
So the Deutsche mark is dead, Italian lira is dead, French franc is dead etc. Really interested to hear that there will be only 3 currencies left in the world. I work in GFX for a Tier 1 bank and all of our traders are oblivious to the fact that there will only be 3 currencies in the near future. I have to share your fabulous insight with them as soon as possible so they can unwind the positions in the other G10 (and the non G10 for that matter) currencies that are going to cease to exist. I'll refer them to this thread and tell them it must be true because stanton said so. You could make some serious money providing your superior knowledge to the FX trading world.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@J9, The Euro is the Deutsche Mark Happy

Before the Euro most leading European Currencys (Guilder.Schilling etc) were directly linked to the the Dmark.

Before the the Euro you could use the Dmark in any European Country & Beyond (Turkey, Russia etc) as it was an accepted hard currency like the Euro is now.
snow report
I'm no currency expert, so I'd be interested in hearing what J9 and others think: Someone said to me that what worried them was that the GBP£ was no longer a 'refuge currency' i.e. like the Swiss Franc? That is, like gold, something that people buy in a crisis when they don't have anywhere else safe to put their money. Is this true?

And if it is true, does it mean much more variation in the short/medium-term £ exchange rates?

So to go back to the OP question, the answer would be (a) it's even harder to know and (b) expect much bigger drops/rises against the € and US$.
latest report
@msej449, it’s a long time since the £ was a reserve currency - I am not sure that’s a bad thing.
ski holidays
@msej449, if only I could predict the markets I'd be retired by now Happy

Markets don't like uncertainty and there is plenty around for GBP. But who knows what would happen to the EUR if civil war broke out in Spain, or to the USD if Trump manages to tweet himself into a war with North Korea.

What I do know is GBP continues to be heavily traded and reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated.
snow report
@J9, Buy Swiss Francs & Gold
ski holidays
http://www.currency.co.uk/boe-could-be-setting-the-pound-up-for-a-fall/
latest report
And if interest rates rise, so will sterling.
snow report
stanton wrote:

So that'll be a No again then......
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

I don't see the word 'may' from the post you made in July 2016

stanton (in July 2016) wrote:
Sterling parity with Euro & US Dollar £1 = €1/$1 by this coming Ski Season.
ski holidays

stanton wrote:

And so as usual your dribble was incorrect - finishing this week slightly up on last

snow report

stanton wrote:
Pound took a hit a short while ago on the rumour of walking away "Talks Crash" .

Rumour?

Seems like Tusk is back peddling on his comments then

ski holidays
Well really, what if the pound did hit parity? What if it didn’t? From what I understand the drop has been mainly due to the deterrent effect of Brexit uncertainty on foreign direct investment..or at least the perceived deterrent effect. It’s just a number though. Yes inflation might rise and maybe you’ll be able to get a commensurate increase in income. Then maybe your house is more affordable and since ski holiday pricing is a supply and demand business like any other maybe they will adjust to brits changed circumstances. Anyway who says it shouldn’t be at parity? Was the higher rate ever more than due to Russians stashing money somewhere the courts work properly?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy