Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
As much as I want to see rates rise, I don't expect them to rise before the Brexit negotiations are finished and the UK has left the EU. If they do go up before, the exporters that everyone is pinning the nation's future on will cry that they are not competitive unless the pound is worth less than magic beans.

The government will then get 'ripped a new one' by the public if everyone's mortgage goes up because of exchange rate fuelled inflation. The Remain camp will say "we told you so" (which they did), the BoE will say "we told you so" (which they did) and the Leave voting public will say "why didn't anyone tell us this would happen?".
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton wrote:
Only because of intervention by The Bank of England

Actually, the rise is because the BofE has STOPPED intervening by constantly holding the interest rates down.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wish the media wouldn't use terms like 'collapse' and 'soar' to describe relatively short-term changes in rates. It misrepresents the situation and doesn't help in analysing long-term trends. Today it 'soared' +1.4% to 1.30 CHF - putting it almost exactly where it was 12 months ago, which was down from 1.50 CHF 24 months ago. In the last 18 months it's moved between 1.19 and 1.45 CHF so what does it all mean? I wouldn't presume to predict.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cyclical fluctuation of pound.

Quote:
“We were wrong. Contrary to our expectations, GBP has been exclusively driven by cyclical forces in 2017,” says David Bloom, Strategist with HSBC Bank plc based in London. “Combined with a more hawkish BoE, we revise our year-end 2017 forecast.”
What appears to have caught Bloom and his team surprise is Sterling's unwillingness to be swayed by Brexit fears.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah right - just wait for the "cyclical fluctuation" next time HM Gov have to cough some bad Brexit related news.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I am impressed you have reason to doubt the HSBC. Which bank are you advising?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski pass this season CHF666 - last year CHF950
CHF vs GBP - last Christmas about 1.28, currently about 1.29

Looks ok to me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Inflation is rising fast as direct result of Brexit Referendum.

Prices HAVE risen in real terms. Wages are stagnent.

The BoE will intervenve which will be good for the Pound to Euro but will not solve the underlying uncertainty.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Feb half term next year, same hotel, upgrade to Suite, in all other regards the same Ski holiday as last year. Around 7.5% cheaper this year. That pays for a ski pass. So, next season will not be more expensive, at all.

Stick that in your pipe Lord Haw Haw.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Strax, IT does not matter which way you look at it, this season will cost you more. You have to factor in what the rest of the year has cost you in rising prices , stagnant wages, inflation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stanton, My ski season will not, in any measure you have indicated, cost me more.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
@Strax, IT does not matter which way you look at it, this season will cost you more. You have to factor in what the rest of the year has cost you in rising prices , stagnant wages, inflation.

Really clutching at straws now!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Next season will only cost you more if you spend more. If you spend less, it will cost you less. This is simple economics. You may be able to buy less, but saying that next season will be more expensive assumes you consume the same items. Some items are replaced in consumption over time (like horses and carts, replaced by cars, computers replacing your brain etc)

Just ski where the price is cheapest.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bigtipper wrote:
Next season will only cost you more if you spend more. If you spend less, it will cost you less. This is simple economics. You may be able to buy less, but saying that next season will be more expensive assumes you consume the same items. Some items are replaced in consumption over time (like horses and carts, replaced by cars, computers replacing your brain etc)

Bulgaria, Romania.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just drink less in bars, that will probably save you the change in exchange rate

pick 30kg of apples, and wash them in the bath

press them, squeeze out the juice, ferment the juice, and keg it, bottle it, or drink it still but you have to wait until the ski season starts before it is ready

latest report
achilles wrote:
Cyclical fluctuation of pound.

Quote:
“We were wrong. Contrary to our expectations, GBP has been exclusively driven by cyclical forces in 2017,” says David Bloom, Strategist with HSBC Bank plc based in London. “Combined with a more hawkish BoE, we revise our year-end 2017 forecast.”
What appears to have caught Bloom and his team surprise is Sterling's unwillingness to be swayed by Brexit fears.

LOL. I check the exchange rate almost daily to see how much less this month's salary is worth and to try to judge when to move it into €. It shifts up or down almost immediately following any Brexit related sound bite. One temporary upwards blip around January when the Supreme Court ruled May couldn't bypass Parliament to trigger art. 50 then downward spiral until last week's suggestion that Carney might raise interest rates - and now back on the downwards trend again.

But anyway, the fact that HSBC scrap their forecast for £-€ parity is hardly something worth celebrating, cheering, or feeling remotely optimistic about. That it was ever a semi-realistic possibility is shocking.

--------

LOL also every time someone posts here saying this season won't be more expensive as they'll just downgrade their accommodation/apres/meals/lift pass. Expecting to pay the same amount of money but get less for it absolutely demonstrates that this season will be more expensive.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 19-09-17 10:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@clarky999, innit. This thread is fast resembling an Edward Lear poem for the amount of nonsense being spouted. If comments are taken on face value, there are some seriously deluded people on here.
snow report
@clarky999,
Quote:

LOL also every time someone posts here saying this season won't be more expensive as they'll just downgrade their accommodation/apres/meals/lift pass. Expecting to pay the same amount of money but get less for it absolutely demonstrates that this season will be more expensive.

Hmmm, even with a room upgrade, my ski holiday is 7.5% cheaper than last year. What you on about?
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:

Genau ..

Some folks in here just do not understand ...
latest report
@Strax, but why post hard evidence when you can post idle speculation?
snow report
Strax wrote:
@clarky999,
Quote:

Hmmm, even with a room upgrade, my ski holiday is 7.5% cheaper than last year. What you on about?

I am on about:

Bigtipper wrote:

skimastaaah wrote:

I (personally) will not enjoy the 75/80 Euro lunches for two again, but will expect the cost of a beer or a bottle of wine to limit just how much I drink. Instead of 25 to 30 days skiing a year I may just ski 20! ............ hotel prices pretty much the same (if not cheaper in some resorts), the lift pass costs may well rise, but this will be countered by what I don't spend either in the resort bars or the mountain restaurants.

PaulC1984 wrote:

Now I'm not blind, I can see that the cost of my lift passes has increased, as has the cost of eating out whilst there - I just set myself a budget in euros the same as last year and stick to it - not because I'm short of cash but because thats what normal people do. Yes this means the odd bottle of wine less or one less meal out, but to be honest I don't miss them - I rather enjoy cooking in rather than eating out. - Again this will be the resorts losing out on ££ not me.

ETC.

I.e. people saying that they will just cut things out to keep to the same budget so their skiing isn't more expensive, without seeming to realise that explicitly stating that expecting to get less for the same £ is explicitly conceding that things will be more expensive next season.

If you've found a great deal, then great, but it doesn't change the fundamental fact that in almost every situation more pounds are/will be required to get an equivalent service/product in Europe this season than last, and particularly more than the one before.
ski holidays
Our trip to Tignes next January is costing us £20 more than 2017.

The reason for that is having to go a different week and hence losing a 2 for 1 discount on ski passes.

Identical week would have been cheaper.

Go figure, eh
snow conditions
@nelly0168, is that including lunch/coffee/beer on the mountain and everything else you might consume that isn't covered by the (half board?) package price?
ski holidays
@clarky999, don't forget price rises, wage stagnation and inflation: all the indices [b]@Stanton[b] would want you to include.
You aren't Stanton are you?
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

Unlike your posts, my wages haven't been stagnant.
latest report
@Strax, no.

All I'm saying is that a meal in a mountain restaurant that cost €20 last season still costs €20 this season and €20 this season is more pounds than it was last season or the season before that. And going back to my original post, that from constantly watching the exchange rate it is very obvious that the exchange rate drops further - almost immediately - every time Davis or Barnier (etc) mention anything about the progress of Brexit negotiations.

I hope everyone has lots of great skiing next season and I have an irrational feeling it's going to be a snowy one, but regardless of feelings for/against Brexit I find it very hard to see how anyone can disagree with the above.
snow conditions
The exchange rate is a fact. So on the pure basis nobody can argue all other things being equal it will be more expensive this season assuming at the time people make their purchase the exchange rate is worse than it was one year previous. However in the OP it was stated it was because "Brexit strains stack up". Currency fluctuations are determined by all manner of things - some factional, some rational and some less rational. Whilset there is no doubt Brexit will be one of those factors, I would suggest anyone claiming to know how much of an effect and which way it will effect the fluctuation of the pound is barmy. Well, the cap clearly fits. Another thing, the OP stated "1 Pound =$1.10 and €1.03 Coming !!!!" Well it came and it went. Maybe it will come again, maybe it won't. See last point. QED.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, nor have mine, but unfortunately for it's it's nothing to do with our incomes, it's how many €'s one of your £'s buys. It doesn't matter how many £'s you have, you the exchange rate to € is still worse than it was last year and the year before, but almost certainly not as bad as it's going to be next year. It's the price we're paying, and will continue to pay for years to come, for making the monumentally idiotic decision to leave the largest and profitable trading block in the world.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I still think the general Brexit uncertainty, UK government chaos & possibility of it being bought down will weaken the Pound a lot more towards Xmas.

You may have some hope

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-markets-sterling/sterling-jumps-on-report-uk-foreign-minister-johnson-could-resign-idUKKCN1BU1O3
snow conditions
All things considered I can't see a huge difference. A few months ago I had a fear that it was going to really hurt but now I might just have to dig out some loose change from down the back of the sofa to cover the difference. Ho Hum!@stanton, Sorry to disappoint you Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@esaw1, Maybe but family's who go at Holiday Peak Times will feel the difference & prices have gone up (food beer etc) in Austria since last season.
snow report
Quote:

@esaw1, Maybe but family's who go at Holiday Peak Times will feel the difference & prices have gone up (food beer etc) in Austria since last season.

So price rises in Austria are a result of Brexit, according to @stanton, . Can't wait to see that argument for that.
I'm taking my family at peak time (Feb half term), and can you guess how much extra its costing me?
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, nor have mine, but unfortunately for it's it's nothing to do with our incomes, it's how many €'s one of your £'s buys. It doesn't matter how many £'s you have, you the exchange rate to € is still worse than it was last year and the year before

I know that, but of course that wasn't what Shirley was saying. The rest of the year hasn't had any serious cost as a result of "rising prices, stagnant wages, inflation", I've lost more money by virtue of only just being able to sell a car for less (nett) than I was offered part exchange late last year. I agree that the pound is weaker, but not the the degree that Stanton was saying it would. In the scheme of things we're still not anywhere near "next season is going to cost a LOT more"...especially as the season that numbnuts was referring to was the 16-17 season.
ski holidays
This next season is not going to cost me more than last year. I've only just started skiing, and wasn't skiing last year. So I'm quids in. Plus I've sold my daughter to pay for the MyashBash in January; so made money on that and now have less overheads helping her pay her bills. Double bubble. Happy days. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
@clarky999, there is a flaw in your argument.

If last year you climbed up a hill with your skis and boots, and skied down, that cost you a certain amount. The exchange rate changes, so you decide to climb a different hill and ski down, it costs the same.

Consequently, it is not more expensive, it is just different. You decide to consume something else.

Just like electric cars and petrol cars. You are not going to say electric cars are going to get more expensive because of the exchange rate. Electric cars are going to get cheaper, and replace petrol cars. When the price reduces, equilibrium will occur and the substitution effect will occur.

You have to change to index at that time.

Therefore, if you have an index of items, which make up inflation, your objective is to pick all the items which will only go down in price and do not buy any of those which will go up. (as the exchange rate will nullify their profit margins because there will be no sales)

The price will reduce, and then you will find it cheaper. (even with exchange rate changes)

This will cause some providers to go out of business, and a recession.

Mr Junker will regret his comments, and eat his hat!
snow report
@clarky999, not often I disagree with you but going to have to here Happy

Firstly the title states A LOT more expensive. This is obviously poo poo. It MAY be a little more expensive but that is down to your own ability to shop around.

What I have stated from day dot is that last year cost me just over £50 more, I don't consider this to be A LOT and I've seen larger increases on a holiday cost long before Brexit was even a twinkle.

This year I am paying no more. Yes I maybe getting a little less in terms of a meal out, but as stated this is to offset the marginal increase in lift pass price and food on the mountain due to the euro. Now if you calculate this against pre- Brexit exchange rate to strengthen Stantons argument as much as possible equates to circa £65 on a usual spend. Do I consider this to be A LOT nope, and what's more it's £15 on top of last year's cost, I fart and earn that, so it really doesn't concern me.

This doesn't make me someone who is deluded or blinkered towards Brexit, this is someone who has facts rather than using conjecture to form ones own argument (stanton that is!)

I am yet to see true evidence of people rising costs on holiday this year verses last, yet plenty have been along to post evidence to show holidays costing marginly more (not A LOT!) or in fact less than last year.

This doesn't of course make me blind to the fact food on the mountain will cost a little more than last year, but it's certainly won't be a large amount and I certainly won't be thinking of Stanton when I'm tucking into it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, I think what Clarky is saying is that all else being equal the exchange rate drop will end up costing you more whilst away in Europe. Yes you can change your plans to make up for the drop (eat out less, go to a different place etc) but the point still stands. Life in Europe is more expensive now for people earning pounds. Once you add in any cost inflation for the goods you want to buy then it's even more expensive (today). Rates go up and down of course.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, I Know, I know exactly what he is saying and I am not disagreeing with that in entirety - what I am saying however is your holiday need not be more expensive and even if you aren't prepared to change anything at all, Stantons view that EVERYTHING will go up with the change in exchange rate is rubbish. Only things you buy in Europe, with euros will change - the likes of hotels, flights, insurance, etc etc will not increase - in fact I have found them to decrease over the last 2 years, which offsets against the increases elsewhere.......
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
LOL. I check the exchange rate almost daily to see how much less this month's salary is worth and to try to judge when to move it into €.....

@clarky999, I am so happy that you are having lots of laughs. If you are happy, then everybody is happy - and laughter is good for your health.
......I do realise that people converting sterling income into € have concerns - always a risk when taking on commitments in one currency when the income is in another - but saying that doesn't help you a lot.

Just had a quick look at the exchange rate a year ago - it was €1.17. Today it was €1.13. So 3.4% down today from then. Maybe no need to panic.
snow report
What was it in December 15 i.e. 6 months before the ref?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy