Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US Border Control/Social Media

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36650857
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's only a proposal and it would be voluntary.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
... actually its an interesting expansion of powers. If you expand the definition to include all your online profile, the US CBP already has the powers to request you unlock/decrypt any device you carry - expand that to your online activity, FB/L.in/email/OneDrive etc etc. Failure to comply can result in expulsion or even arrest. Authorities are already having a good ol' fashioned Google-rummage on your details prior to entry, people have been banned from entry due to FB and Twitter posts before now.

Plus, we should ask the question, will this *actually* make any difference? A potential terrorist is hardly going to be so stupid to discuss their plans on something like Facebook AND then hand over the details to the CBP - The visa immigration card has had questions about Nazi party membership/German persecution on it for decades, yet the border patrol refuse to say if they've ever caught anyone on this particular baited hook.

El Reg has a bit on this too...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Richard_Sideways, The visa waiver card also used to ask "Are you a gunrunner ?", anyone with reasonably strong cryptographic software on their laptop had to lie in their answer to it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Richard_Sideways,

Agreed.

However, what if you do not have any social media accounts (there are people out there) will the US believe them if they say No i do not have Social Media?

All these Terror animals seem to be using the DarkNet/Web & Encryption. they would be better to concentrate their efforts there imo.

It would be easier for the US to force the Social Media companies to provide a Dump everyday of FB,Linkin,Twitter etc. If thats not already happening.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

However, what if you do not have any social media accounts (there are people out there) will the US believe them if they say No i do not have Social Media?

Having never had or wanted to have a social media account it never occured to me to even ask the question, but let's have a straw poll - who has social media accounts?

I don't
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
...The visa waiver card also used to ask "Are you a gunrunner ?

And much more silliness too. I once filled on in when flying to the US from Germany, and inevitably it was all in German and I didn't know if the correct answer was "ya" or "nein". I asked the stewardess - I could have still been in prison there if she had a sense of humour.

I actually think you're wrong if you think that some people aren't stupid enough to fail to disguise their social media profiles. I recruit people, and I can tell you that there are many technical people who are absolutely that stupid. If you're dumb enough to think you're getting 72 virgins (or any Brexit promise for that matter), then you're certainly stupid enough to fail to maintain internet hygiene. Sure it's unsafe to assume the opposition is stupid, but equally you may as well take out the dumb ones the easy way.

Example: most serious criminals are also minor criminals, probably because they think they can get away with it. You may think that it's stupid to rob a bank and then get caught because you park on a double yellow line, but it happens over and over.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On a similar, but less sinister (?) note, as a childcare and family lawyer, if I have a case with a parent with a slightly unusual name, I often check out whether they are on FB. This can throw up totally damning stuff...as they are so dim they never seem to have ANY privacy settings. I've certainly been in a couple of care cases where the mother has said she is separated from the child abusing father, only to post mid proceedings that she had been chilling over the weekend with her man and the kids or, in one case, posting a photo of the violent boyfriend cuddled up together on the sofa despite being in the middle of a hearing where she was claiming she had nothing to do with him...
Face book, texts and social media generally can be a right PIA in family cases, as one party complains about threatening, harassing or inappropriate posts and messages, and the other doesn't seem to appreciate that the threat is written down and may come back to haunt them..they just think the lawyers, social workers and solicitors have somewhere arrived from another planet and don't use social media themselves...or go shopping in the same town (so parents are spotted together when they swear blind they last saw the other 3 months ago)..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@philwig, what you say is roughly along the lines that MI5 briefs.
Chris Morris' film "Four Lions" was famously recommended by MI5 to its field ops as a more realistic example of the kind of people they're dealing with than the like of 'Spooks' plots.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, You have a Snowheads account
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Having never had or wanted to have a social media account it never occured to me to even ask the question, but let's have a straw poll - who has social media accounts?

I don't
errrr...., you do.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I don't

You're on snowHeads and there is a facility for private messaging. You have a social media account. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This isn't just any social media site, this is the snowHeads social media site.... Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Having never had or wanted to have a social media account
You're posting on social media now, and anyone with an email address can see what you're posting and maybe take a stab at your identity. Other social media platforms can offer more control over who sees what you post, although it's probably a good idea to assume that anything you post is in the public domain.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
-@Whitegold mode on-

Anyone with a bunch of Snowheads in their contact list can forget entering the USA

-@Whitegold mode off-
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I don't
errrr...., you do.

SH isn't social media, it's a forum.

If anyone wants my "social media" accounts, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy