Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
scary surface hoar!

@rob@rar, yep, but it does make the most beautiful and unique sound when you ski it Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
12Z looking pretty good for the 21st still Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AthersT
Don't tease us, put up a graph or something
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@notnats,

21st

22nd

The ensembles are available at about 1800 GMT
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cracking 12z. Series of snow events starting on the 18th. Too far out, as ever, but good viewing nonetheless.

And just for fun:

Hooray...Everything's going to be totally alright...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, are those forecasts based on the control run ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@notnats, Think the OP run, I could be wrong though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AthersT, @notnats, yes the op run.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, I was too slow there. Let me go one better by offering some visual projections of the situation on the ground come Christmas:

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross wrote:
Quote:
scary surface hoar!

@rob@rar, yep, but it does make the most beautiful and unique sound when you ski it Cool
Yup, it's lovely and amazing to see, but then it gets buried under the next big snowfall...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WellingtonBoot wrote:
OK, I was too slow there. Let me go one better by offering some visual projections of the situation on the ground come Christmas:

Please, be realistic. It will be like this, at least:

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, There's little doubt. If GFS shows it at t240-t384, it's a sure thing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@WellingtonBoot, fantastic thanks, I'll go book a holiday now based on your forecast Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WellingtonBoot wrote:
@rob@rar, There's little doubt. If GFS shows it at t240-t384, it's a sure thing.
Yup, you can take it to the bank. But nothing on the 22nd please as I have an airport run to do.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep this is great insider stuff. I've loaded up on cold weather futures, 3x leverage.
snow conditions
@langball, Yeah you're welcome. This is a win-win-win situation. Can't lose. A sure thing. Ever snowier holidays for everybody for ever. These are boom times for snow, and I'm an expert, and I guarantee you nothing can possibly go wrong.

etc...
snow conditions
@rob@rar, I'll get on the phone right away and sort that for you.
snow conditions
Heading out to CHX for the New Year, which skis to pack? SL, touring or the big dogs?
snow report
@JeanPaulValley, pack all three pairs. There is no such thing as having too many skis
snow report
poo-poo just got real.
snow report
If everytime Gfs T240 trough T384 is taken into account, this will be the result:

snow report
In other news...cold temps, and a Pacific AR are about to make their acquaintance over Oregon in the next 24 hrs.... Good things can come of these types of get togethers. Toofy Grin

snow report

EC Monthly above (old data) EPS Control below (new data)
Looking nice for the 19-22 December

This event should be result of the change to Positive NAO IMO.

Looking at closer events, the 12th should give a bit of snow in Austria. There is some sort of trough in between 12th and 20th forecast, but EC and GFS forecast it on different days and from different directions.
ski holidays
18z keeps the break down in FI on 21 December (though not before).

snow report
21st you say? The first ski day of my holiday (look for fingers crossed emoticon).
ski holidays
This thread is a roller coaster crack like addiction ride. Snow! Wind? High pressure!?! Snow!!!!! Unseasonal high temps????? Distant snow!!!! High pressure??? Hill walking. Cold! Snow making!! Ribbons of white? Concrete ice roads. Rocks..........Distant snow!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
Quote:

18z keeps the break down in FI on 21 December (though not before).

I'd say that's not quite true. The whole run is a cracker in the context of recent runs, and it offers several snow opportunities before the major breakdown around the 21st. Essentially the 'breakdown', as currently forecast, consists of the high pressure shifting West and allowing systems into Europe over its northern flank. On this run that happens gradually, with a series of smaller systems coming over the top and delivering varying (if modest) quantities of snow before the major event later in the run.

Key points:

- The system on the 11th/12th has been upgraded again. Not dramatic, but from showing no precipitation for a few runs, it now has steady snizzle for a day or so in western Austria. If it came off, might be a few cms in that.

- Sends another upper level shortwave through on the 15th with results potentially similar to the system on the 12th.

- Another little trough comes over the top around the 17th, leaving 5-10cm in western Austria and eastern Switzerland.

- Finally, as you say, a proper breakdown around the 21st/22nd, when everywhere gets a pasting.

As ever, I'm not suggesting anything beyond 4-6 days is reliable at all, particularly when it comes to minor features, precise tracks and precipitation, but it is good to see a model coming up with such scenarios. It suggests the broader synoptics might permit such features to develop (by setting the high pressure far enough South/West, for example).
ski holidays
Am I the only one who having seen the picture of the 90% frozen globe from matejp found myself thinking hmmm ice age, bring it on, the powder looks phenomenal Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gordonrussell76, A few years ago, I did find myself secretly wishing that the glaciers would melt into and desalinate the North Atlantic sufficiently to stop the gulf stream, turning Europe 5 degrees colder and plunging us into a mini-Ice Age.

So to answer your question: No, you're not.
latest report
@WellingtonBoot, my post simply referred to the fact that the op run kept the same sort of pattern around the 21 December as the two before. That's all. As far as I can see it does. I wasn't referring to what happened earlier in the run. Though now you have I cant see any snowfall before then of any interest on 18z.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_1247_ens.png
latest report
@nozawaonsen, Didn't mean to criticise your comment excessively - was probably just reading too much into your "(though not before)" comment, which I took to mean, 'nothing interesting (ppn-wise) to look at before'. You are right of course about the similar pattern and the timing of the ultimate breakdown.

The other systems are of course mostly interesting as potential indicators/ones-to-watch. If we were taking the run as gospel, I would suggest the band around the 18th would be handy for western Austria.

Thanks for the ensembles chart. Interesting that the really broad spread only kicks in around the 19th. I guess we have a good idea of what to expect up to then for 850s. Average pleasingly low.
snow report
To review, here is a review of possible events for the next couple of weeks...
- 12th Dec
This is 5cm or less to most of Austria.
-15th Dec
This is 5cm or less to most of Austria and parts of Switzerland and Germany.
Now it gets a bit murkier...
-17th Dec
5cm in Austria a possibility
-21st Dec
I think lots of people have their eyes glued to this system, which IMO will be a fizzer later on. This is because meteorological conditions don't point to a strong cold front. GFS has this at 20-30cm over most of the Alps with a bit of a downgrade in 00z run. EC has this 10-15cm with better conditions to the east.
Towards 23GMT today, I will share the view on longer range data with a fresh batch of EC data.
latest report
00z GFS is still extremely dry. Op run temperatures drop to around average on 12 December and hold (despite a fair amount of scatter) until far FI when they dip on 18 December on the op run. But very dry all through until about 22 December.

Chamonix.

Zermatt.

Arlberg.

snow report
@Jellybeans1000, I don't think anyone is taking anything on 21 December particularly seriously. It was just something more interesting that had cropped up in a couple of runs yesterday. The general outlook and in particular in the more reliable seven day range is still lacking in serious snow, I can't even see the meagre snowfall amounts you are suggesting to be honest.
ski holidays
Again at the far range of the model, but ECM brings in colder weather on 18 December. Again you'd want to see this repeated across runs and models before investing any confidence in it.

ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
@Jellybeans1000, I don't think anyone is taking anything on 21 December particularly seriously. It was just something more interesting that had cropped up in a couple of runs yesterday. The general outlook and in particular in the more reliable seven day range is still lacking in serious snow, I can't even see the meagre snowfall amounts you are suggesting to be honest.

Yeah most of the places are just going to get a dusting, the best falls will be 5cm. I'm not taking 21st December too seriously, we are starting to get a bit of model consistency and will continue to.
snow report
Downgrades is the story of this December IMHO
snow report
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH SNOW FFS - only 2 weeks until I go Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
so if my limited knowledge is correct, anything out even in the 15th/16h and esp 21st could easily get "reversed" to nothing on the next GFS (or other forecasting tool) run? Or being glass half full it could also improve and come in earlier??

ie nobody really knows, but looking for patterns and repeat ability is all that can be done.
snow report
@kitenski, yep. Consistency builds confidence, inconsistency weakens it. As the pattern builds so does confidence. If it remains scattered snippets, it's probably nonsense.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 8-12-16 10:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy