Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Negative Jon, we fuddys have to stick together......
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter S wrote:
Quote:

Is the term Storm getting devalued?

Yes. Its one of those terms that is constantly used by American commentators and is now being picked up over here to incorrectly refer to any snowfall event or depression crossing the Alps. Add it to a rising inflection and .....yuck Evil or Very Mad

Well, this American uses the word storm, and will continue to do so. And there's a storm a brewing right now off the Pacific Coast. It's not a big bad mean one, like you get in Europe with 200KPH winds and all with massive destruction and flooding and of biblical proportions but what else should it be called? It's just a wee little lass with 100KPH winds. Maybe a paltry 1 meter of snow, and nothing like those big dumps you get in the Alps. Shall I refer to it as a low pressure with moderate precip? Simply say an unsettled low with unstable air si on it's way? Please give us American's some tips, so that we don't offend. After all it's your language we are using over here. Cheers!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Toadman, http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/storm

Quote:
an extreme weather condition with very strong wind, heavy rain, and often thunder and lightning

So we'd call what you describe as a low pressure system developing strong winds and precipitation Wink Although 100kph winds could well be a storm Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Toadman wrote:
Please give us American's some tips, so that we don't offend. After all it's your language we are using over here. Cheers!

It's Americans, if you must use our language. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
55- 63mph winds need to be sustained to qualify as storm force, according to the Beaufort scale.

Mere gusts of 60mph don't count snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter S wrote:
55- 63mph winds need to be sustained to qualify as storm force, according to the Beaufort scale.

Mere gusts of 60mph don't count snowHead

What about 100mph winds? Top of my home mtn just recorded 102 MPH gust! Shocked

Trees down across major interstate highway down in Oregon. Winds starting to pick up. Not quite a storm yet, just windy and wet. Bonus that temps dropping and the winds decreasing into tonight. Which means maybe a nice pow day on Saturday! wink

My apologies that the local media is using the word "storm". What can I say, it's America...

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/powerful-storm-hits-oregon-coast-with-60-mph-gusts-on-track-for-seattle-area/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, the low pressure delivered... wink Nice way to spend a Saturday in early April!

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GFS and ECM going for something cold next weekend.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another round of moisture coming into the Sierra's in California for Wednesday/Thursday. Expect about a foot of snow. PNW received about 40cm over the past 72 hours. Another round of precip and for this time of year lowish freezing level with up to 10cm-20cm Wed/Thursday as well. Oregon should do well. They got hit with about 20cm overnight, and could see more through out the day.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow coming to the Alps next week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow already here in the PNW - 15-20cm already on the ground with more falling as I type. Cooler temps filtering in with lowering snow levels. Tahoe will get some too as well. Whistler and interior BC will get a light dusting into the weekend. Easter looks good for the bunny to hide some eggs. Razz
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Could be good next week in Grossarl.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would anyone like to have a guess at the conditions in Val Thorens and the 3 Valleys?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having been slightly distracted by other matters it is worth noting that despite the very warm weather of late...

Radstadt at +5.65C over last 30 days!

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/global_monitoring/temperature/tn11147_30.gif

Cold weather and snow is heading back to the Alps next week.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Eastern Pyrenees

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nozawaonsen, a few pow turns to finish off the season... that would be wonderful if you can deliver it 🙏
snow report
A late blast of snow for the E Alps.

latest report
Continues to look like Austria will see considerable snowfall in the coming week.
snow conditions
No-one there to enjoy it ...
snow conditions
Even better!
ski holidays
St Anton / Lech the place to go this week.

Snow above midstation, every day, Sat through Weds.
snow report
Much of Austria is going to see considerable snowfall this week in quantities that have been rare through much of the season so far.

And in what is also rare for this time of year temperatures will be low for an extended period with the snowline reaching down to 100m.
snow report
Can someone blow the snow west please!
snow conditions
Back again for a moment. May I ask if any of you have access to EC Monthly or EPS Weekly models? Thanks.

EC agrees with GFS on the snow event for Austria and the much of the Alps in general.
@BobinCH I guess EC is better than GFS for the Western Alps ATM.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Snow coming to the Alps next week.

As predicted, St Anton getting pasted.

Living up to its reputation as a snowpocket.

ski holidays
Mind you that photo is Lech, but that's quibbling.

More snow and cold temperatures to come for Austria.
latest report
Squaw Valley might just not close this year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/592ca827-cded-3fb0-82ec-1aa1a3e63c78/ss_it-snowed-so-much-this-winter.html

Did you hear? It snowed a lot in the Sierra Nevada this winter. Unless you spent the cold months avoiding the news (we wouldn’t blame you), then you already know it’s a record-breaking season.

Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows, sister ski resorts north of Lake Tahoe, have tallied nearly 60 feet of snow this winter. At a slightly higher elevation, Sugar Bowl at Donner Summit hit 751 inches — 63 feet! — this month. Last week alone, Squaw reported three feet of snow.

Last Thursday, the National Weather Service announced the Northern Sierra Nevada region, comprising eight separate climate stations, achieved its wettest water year on record.

After years of drought and bad ski business, thing are looking up for places like Squaw and Alpine. They’re so good, in fact, that their CEO is seriously considering leaving at least one of the lifts open through the summer and fall.
[/i]
latest report
More snowfall (10-20cm) forecast overnight this Saturday in Austria, before quite a messy (and potentially snowy) last week of April.
latest report
https://gyazo.com/cb530f099f31ac392cb32b505f41750d

Zell am See at 750m Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nozawaonsen, messy as in rain or wind or snow or all of the above?
snow report
@hd, Looks to be pretty assured that there will be precipitation - as yet its tricky to be sure in which form it will fall and indeed where the snow line will be.

https://gyazo.com/897ed0ec85596252a149a81047c498c3
snow conditions
@AthersT, cheers looking into a possible may day weekend trip to Sölden so my eyes are peeled on how the forecast is shaping up. ECMWF appears to be suggesting something slightly warmer and drier but I may have got that completely wrong?
snow report
@hd, This is the GFS run so yes could be different but the GFS has been consistent with this pattern for a few runs now. I'm also looking at a last minute trip out for the end of the month. Reasonably priced flights are an issue at the minute though.
ski holidays
Snowing in Val Thorens at moment. Wasn't expecting this today!
snow report
@nozawaonsen, La Plagne 2017 - the worst season for a few years?
Extremely thin cover over Christmas and New Year. Mediocre snow cover in Jan/Feb below 2000m. March only so-so and April hot days ending the pistes below 1800m by Easter.

How does that summary stack up in facts for the French Alps? Or am I "being a pessimistic old grump" - at least words to that effect Toofy Grin
snow conditions
For me it is the 1980s all over again.....which sent me over the pond for twenty years ............... before enjoying our own continent for the last nine years............
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
@nozawaonsen, La Plagne 2017 - the worst season for a few years?
Extremely thin cover over Christmas and New Year. Mediocre snow cover in Jan/Feb below 2000m. March only so-so and April hot days ending the pistes below 1800m by Easter.

How does that summary stack up in facts for the French Alps? Or am I "being a pessimistic old grump" - at least words to that effect Toofy Grin

la Plagne had fairly good conditions, for the French alps.
ski holidays
Off to Val des anglais for a few days next week. Thought I was going to be skiing in swimming trunks, but now looks arctic. What do the weather gurus think?
snow report
Val d'Isere skier days were up +5% YoY this season.

Refugees from lower resorts with poorer snow bumped up the numbers.
ski holidays
Yes, boredsurfin, you are Victor Meldrew, and i claim my £5!
A very Eeyore summary of this season.
I agree that snowfall was less than usual, but we quite enjoyed the season.
Before christmas some runs were closed due to lack of snow, but it stayed cold and the sun shone, and the pistes were way better than December 2015. We had a lovely run down to the Vanoise when all the snowcannons were blasting out snow full pelt. Even the run to La Roche was fun. And snowcannons made Montalbert look quite good too:

We went home for Xmas and New Year, but it wasn't so bad when we came back the end of January.
Then the beginning of February it started snowing.

And kept snowing for nearly a week: we had a wonderful day skiing through knee-deep snow through the trees off Fornelet down to Les Grenoulles.
Then there was another big snowfall the beginning of March, so pistes were fine.
But what we got also was wall-to-wall sunshine: the biggest hazard was sunburn.
And we still got the odd day of new snow:

(Emille Allais 26 March 2017)
Skiing was fine until we left beginning of April.
snow report
Some great skiing right now in Austria. A lot more snow to come to relatively low levels next week too if you can take advantage of it.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy