Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Heaviest rain I have seen today our Slalom course at Heautal lookEd like a stream by 1 o'clock. Currently 8 degrees in Tyrol Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just checked Montgenerve forecast and the day we arrive in resort on Sunday 26th, the FL is 3400m and crackers 9 degrees...Shocked I'll be skiing in a t-shirt they way its going with those temperatures
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Came across this in a ski mag this morning, so am sharing the pain.

Fri 24th still good for the north and east. While 28th Feb and 1 Mar also look good on ECM, with support from UKMO (+144), GEM, JMA, GFS (P), as the azores high is briefly placed a little further west.
GFS Op is still flopping around, but the GFS mean is in line with ECMs. Far away hills....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could someone please advise on what might we expect for Saas Fee Saturday onwards? I think there is a suggestion that it might snow on Tuesday 28/2 but I am not sure just how reliable this is.

Many thanks!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The rain in Ski Welt has been relentless all day. Miserable weather for skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Winter returning to Scotland in the next 1 to 7 days.

Perhaps 1-2ft of snow.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow on the way......

First off Morzine / Chamonix should get something Friday, and I'm there Sat - Mon.

And then next week is now looking interesting, again.........

With Queyras, along with Serre and La Grave looking like substantial amounts, though still could all disparu.

Have numerous options available, with a group of five/six mates arriving La Grave next Wed prior to us departing down to Isola for a hut to hut finishing up on the beach the following week, well that's the plan.

So will be a case of "Wait and See"; and how to make God laugh?

"Make a plan in the mountains"
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@langball, Could that be Masque showing off some of his new clobber ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some storminess for the West Coast again. The usual suspects. Sierra seems to be a given. Ask the question, Where will it snow this week? Answer, The Sierra's. Most Tahoe resorts are reporting from 100"-156" of snowfall for the month of February. And we all know that Feb still has just under a week left to add to the totals. Mt Rose hit 600" for the season.

There's some cold air starting to cycle in from the Gulf of Alaska bringing cold Arctic air from now into the weekend, and possibly a few days beyond.
This cold air should intermingle with some warm moisture coming out of the South Pacific, and produce snow for the Tahoe resorts this weekend.
This storm will then reach Utah early next week, and bring some light powder to the Wasatch, and reinforce the Utah slogan, "Greatest Snow on Earth".

Jackson Hole & CO Northern and Central areas should also share in the wealth with Utah, and have a powder fest beginning of next week.

PNW will be a bit on the edge of any moisture, mostly cool and dry into the weekend.

GFS models indicate some ridging for beginning of March off the West Coast, that could block storms coming in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seeing reports on Ski Club GB that there are expectations of up to a meter of snow in the three valleys area over the next 10 days, but other places are still predicting very little. Can our resident weather experts chime in Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow for Ski Amade please!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yippee, yippee....looked at snow forecast yesterday for Chamonix (as I'm going back there in ~20 days),
it showed little to no snow over the next 9days,
then checked this am, it showed ~1m of snow, so I'm thinking that's better,
Then checked just now, and it's showing ~2m of snow due over the next 9days.

I just love checking the forecast before heading out on hols, the anxious anticipation, , that roller coaster of emotion tired up with such a moveable feast....pure fiction really, normally with a happy ending.

Netflix has nothing on it!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We leave on Saturday for Courchevel what's happening? Snow or no snow over the weekend. It'd be lovely to have some fresh but hate skiing in snow. Poor light & visibility and exfoliation of face by needle sharp ice crystals. Thoughts please weather gurus????
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horgand wrote:
Yippee, yippee....looked at snow forecast yesterday for Chamonix (as I'm going back there in ~20 days),
it showed little to no snow over the next 9days,
then checked this am, it showed ~1m of snow, so I'm thinking that's better,
Then checked just now, and it's showing ~2m of snow due over the next 9days.

I just love checking the forecast before heading out on hols, the anxious anticipation, , that roller coaster of emotion tired up with such a moveable feast....pure fiction really, normally with a happy ending.

Netflix has nothing on it!! Very Happy

I know right? I become obsessed with checking it in the lead up to a holiday!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Toadman, Jackson Hole closed again yesterday due to high winds and avalanche danger. Teton pass has been closed frequently this season.
snow report
Ptspeak wrote:
@Toadman, Jackson Hole closed again yesterday due to high winds and avalanche danger. Teton pass has been closed frequently this season.

Yep, the storms have been bringing lots of those pesky winds. I was in Sun Valley for 4 days, and yesterday was my last day. SV was closed in the morning due to high winds as well. They got the lower mountain opend around 11AM. Bummed as there was about 50cm-60cm of untracked in the upper bowls. I bet it was really good today.
snow report
@horgand, that's no-forecast for you.

Chamonix Meteo (real, on the spot humans) suggesting 10-15cms at 1,800m out as far as they'll confidently forecast...
ski holidays
@under a new name, yep that sounds about right. There does also seem to be some kind of precipitation event at the beginning of March too, hopefully a cold one.
snow report
Great storm coming next week. Winters back!
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@horgand, that's no-forecast for you.

Chamonix Meteo (real, on the spot humans) suggesting 10-15cms at 1,800m out as far as they'll confidently forecast...

Thanks, I do use Chamonix Met occasionally too, but it's far too realistic for managing my pre holiday imagination Very Happy

I prefer the wildly fluctuating (slightly long term exaggerating) models for that....

The situation right now is perfect for such escapism tbh. Some imminent snow due, but loads more well out on the 9day forecast.... So we'll get some, but with a prospect of loads....... Yummy!!

As my fellow country man Oscar Wilde once put it

' the suspense is terrible, I hope it lasts'

snowHead
snow report
Yep looking pretty good for the end of Feb start of March for many places, with a bit of an appetizer tomorrow too.

ski holidays
I have my finger on the book flights button for monday or tuesday. Don't think I'd go far wrong with Milan flights as action seems to be forecast for southern alps, could always go through mont blanc tunnel if whiter pastures elsewhere.

Anyone any thoughts on where most snow likely to fall or are we still a few days away from knowing that?

Basically will I be safe with milan flights and am I better off arriving monday or tuesday? Probably not a great idea driving to resort with heavy snow I suppose
snow conditions
Just had a quick butchers on Snow Forecast for Montgenerve and its showing around 18cm fresh for Tuesday next week... I hope we see some fresh dumps whilst we are out there... arrive on the 26th, cannot wait now! NehNeh
snow conditions
@8611, not sure that I'd say snowfall looks focused on the southern Alps. If anything more to the north, though certainly not exclusively so.

snow report
@8611, if you want options I'd go for Innsbruck or Geneva. Innsbruck would cover Austria and Dolomites. Geneva covers Switzerland and Northern French Alps.
snow conditions
Anyone any idea of conditions or forcast for Sierra Nevada? The graphs Im looking at show precipitation and snow forcast have it down as snow but the webcam Ive found looks abit muddy and brown.

Supposed to be going end of next week, should we change destination?
latest report
@medlington,

Your post intrigued me as I thought they were having a very good season , I've looked at the webcams and it looks fine only the wind effected parts look brown then checked out the snow report and it reads well , here's the link , you can also see the webcams on it all looks good .

http://www.sierranevada.co.uk/sn-ski/snow-report-2.html

I must stress I am not there neither have skied there , but had heard they were having a good season .
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
@8611, not sure that I'd say snowfall looks focused on the southern Alps. If anything more to the north, though certainly not exclusively so.

Where approximately is the 94? Trying to fit in a La Grave trip and that looks vaguely in the area no?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@medlington, I, too, have been monitoring Sierra Nevada this season (thinking of buying a place in southern Spain for all-year round use) and was under the impression they had lots of snow.

The brownish snow could be dust from the Sahara desert which is picked up and then often falls in the rain in that part of the world. Several times my hire car, the sheltered patio, apartment windows, on the coast have been covered in sand after a downpour! Saw this phenomenon once in Cervinia, too. Experts will know better than I , of course. Very Happy
latest report
Brutal Storm Doris devastates the Midlands snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/U326Vm3XHFg
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Brutal Storm Doris devastates the Midlands snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/U326Vm3XHFg

That video is 6 years old and was filmed in Scotland.
snow report
That a shame. still funny.

https://www.flightradar24.com/ACA857/c8bd9bb

Not much landing at Manchester at the moment. presumably pretty windy down there right now?
ski holidays
@LOTA, @medlington, the brown stuff is indeed sand blown in. I was there a few days ago (before the sand)and the piste conditions really were excellent.
snow report
AthersT wrote:
@8611, if you want options I'd go for Innsbruck or Geneva. Innsbruck would cover Austria and Dolomites. Geneva covers Switzerland and Northern French Alps.

Thanks but I'm ex Dublin - Innsbruck only once weekly and Geneva times mean I lose a day's skiing

Not sure where the dragon chase will take me this time but best get on it (given my direct flight home has already sold out) Skullie
latest report
@leggyblonde, thanks for confirming that. Looked very similar to what I saw once in Cervinia hundreds of years ago - well the late 1970s anyway!
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

Where approximately is the 94? Trying to fit in a La Grave trip and that looks vaguely in the area no?

Going on Morris' prediction: http://wepowder.com/forum/topic/240275

Narrative is the two models are at issue as to where the snow will fall. I took from it that Southern alps will be hit in either scenario, the western and northern more contingent on one or the other.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, or maybe I'm just naively believing there is a crystal ball

Where do we define the western Alps as beginning? Like the Mont Blanc tunnel?
snow report
Peter S wrote:
That a shame. still funny.

https://www.flightradar24.com/ACA857/c8bd9bb

Not much landing at Manchester at the moment. presumably pretty windy down there right now?

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGCC/2017/02/23/DailyHistory.html (scroll to the bottom)
a bit of a breeze, yes.
snow report
starting to look quite optimistic for w/c 12th March in 3V Very Happy
ski holidays
Never mind the 12th, its starting to look great for Megeve on the 2nd!
snow report
medlington wrote:
Anyone any idea of conditions or forcast for Sierra Nevada? The graphs Im looking at show precipitation and snow forcast have it down as snow but the webcam Ive found looks abit muddy and brown.

Supposed to be going end of next week, should we change destination?

You should go to the "other' Sierra Nevada range. They have WAY more snow....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/02/23/500-inches-and-counting-snow-has-clobbered-california-ski-resorts-this-winter/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy