Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead

The 26th Feb-1st March Cold Outbreak includes snow to the UK, heavy snow to the Northern Alps. Very cold conditions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nozawaonsen wrote:
@franga, can't see that when I looked just now.

06z still showing colder and more unsettled weather with snow in last week of February.

Thanks very much noza, much appreciated.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kitenski, I know, I know, just asking.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jellybeans1000, nonsense. It is now spring in the Alps. Winter is finished in the uk. Global warming now means that the European winter lasts 2 weeks. Jan 23rd to Feb 7th.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@scotspikey, not even 2 weeks ... there was a substantial melt halfway through that period. Even the Chill Factore snow has been rubbish this season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scotspikey wrote:
@Jellybeans1000, nonsense. It is now spring in the Alps. Winter is finished in the uk. Global warming now means that the European winter lasts 2 weeks. Jan 23rd to Feb 7th.

Global warming includes the US, right? Doesnt explain the record snow levels they had. Also Eastern Austrian Alps had the coldest January in 11 years.

Bring on the end of the month dump, Winter lasts beyond the peak holiday weeks for some people Razz
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@scotspikey, are you related to CockGold, Toofy Grin

That said looking forward to going out on the bike for a little spin as it hopefully warms up today - and could well be the start of a freeze/melt cycle which I'm personally looking forward to, just makes ski touring route choice and options a lot less stressful than of late rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@shredder, Also, after the big dump and cold temperatures in November, it was possible for Saalbach (for example) not only to open on schedule at the beginning of December, but to maintain decent piste skiing and at least 150km of it (through snow-making) throughout December, until the next big dump in early January. In much of January temperatures dropped as low as -25, and it was so cold when skiing that a face mask was almost essential.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, can we keep the name references.........real, rather than euphemistically implied.

This is friendly snowheads.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup, use his proper name, @Shitegold.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

That said looking forward to going out on the bike for a little spin as it hopefully warms up today - and could well be the start of a freeze/melt cycle which I'm personally looking forward to, just makes ski touring route choice and options a lot less stressful than of late

I only board on piste but I'm with you on this @Weathercam, off to the EK on Saturday and I must say I am really looking forward to a good stretch of warm and dry weather. The freeze / thaw cycle is normal, we expect it and have to adopt and be flexible to make the most of each day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some guys on Twitter went crazy about MJO (Madden-Julian Oscilation) index which went into phase 8 few days ago. It is expected that it will go to phase 1 after that.

These are anomalies for February when MJO index is 8:

These are anomalies for February when MJO index is 1:

It is said that this MJO index affects weather in Europe after some delay on 8-10 days, so colder weather is expected from around 20th - 23rd of February.

But... does this phenomena affects weather in Europe at all? Or is more North American stuff?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@matejp, they mainly went crazy because of what happens in Eastern US. Blizzards galore! Has been Dumping snow there all week! MJO does affect Europe with a delay of about a week. See the cold outbreak on GFS from the 24th Feb. This is caused by MJO Phase 8/1, as well as the favourable polar vortex forecast for that period. A cold outbreak is inevitable IMO. Might change strength and snow location in coming days, but it is inevitable.

I posted this on my twitter @longrangesnow about two days ago.

It's a statistical MJO Forecast.

And Joe Bastardi was one of the first to predict Hurricane Sandy, so he has quite a reputation in the States. I follow him, but Michael Ventrice is the one to follow for Tropical meteorology.

So the answer is yes, it has an effect on European snow but only when it is strong. NAO, AO and the vortex take over when it is weak.

If you want to know where all the forecasts are, just PM me.

P.S. I obsess about MJO quite a lot, it has quite the impact for Australian snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and what impact will all of this have on the european weather - bitterly cold dry days or metres of new snow ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Global warming includes the US, right?

The Us now has alternative global warming which isn't based on the same facts. NehNeh
ski holidays
As I understand the impact will be cold and snowy weather pattern for UK, not so sure about the Alps. In fact... latest GFS run suggests very mild weather after 28th of February for much of the continental Europe including Alps.

But frankly I don't know, so that's why I asked here Smile...
snow report
J2ski has snow forecast for Morzine on Monday 20th Feb 2017 and the Friday 25th & Sat 26th. Do any of you guru's have data to back this up as I'm reading on this forum that there is no snow due till the week after ?
latest report
snowheads68 wrote:
Yup, use his proper name, @Shitegold.

I thought it was @Cuckold? Might explain why he's so miserable all the time.
snow conditions
So good I posted it twice....
ski holidays
Spotted the first fully blossomed primrose this morning, but the dog dug it up so all is good.
Looks like a little snow this weekend is possible for northern alps..5-10cm (WRF, ECM) increasing as you move further east into austria. GFS leaning even more to the east.
Longer term good agreement at day 10 (+240h) across ECM ensemble avg and GFS ensemble avg. Lower pressure, lower temps and more chance of snow hitting the alps.
Would like to see the models pick up on any signal to move the high pressure further into the mid atlantic, whether it be SSW, MJO, NAO or any other TLA, the models aren't yet showing much consistency towards pulling that euro high to the west.
ski holidays
holte43 wrote:
J2ski has snow forecast for Morzine on Monday 20th Feb 2017 and the Friday 25th & Sat 26th. Do any of you guru's have data to back this up as I'm reading on this forum that there is no snow due till the week after ?

I would say too far out to have any confidence. One thing I do know for sure, never take anything J2Ski have to say seriously.
snow report
Bad news folks - a lot warmer in the valley than forecast, currently +12 at 1400m here in Serre.

They'll be having to think about getting the lawnmowers out in Morzine at this rate Toofy Grin

Which figures as I' on a road trip up there / Chamonix weekend after next after what looks like a week of warmer temps & FL's around 2,700m.
ski holidays
Good treeskiing, finally, in Killington, northeast US, the past week or so.

Bad news is, a large number of people have been killed or injured, rushing to get in among the logs.

As so often, West is best.

Cali and Wyoming have been battered all season.

Jackson Hole got slammed.

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/town_county/snowstorm-might-have-cost-the-hole-m/article_96a99310-ba7a-5ac2-97f8-8cfb86de5af8.html

snow report
12Z ECM looks interesting

snow report
@matejp @melandnick, MJO Phase 8/1 makes more precipitation and the polar vortex (which is still forecast to be favourable) makes it cold.
snow report
@Weathercam, funny you should say that. I was wondering when I might have to cut my grass. It's certainly greening up very nicely 😀
snow report
Mediocre warm WC storm front coming in today through Thursday with cooling temps. Rain all the way up to the top of the Cascade ski ranges. 7,000' SL in interior. Dropping to 6,000' to 5,000 feet. And then over the weekend FL goes to 2,500 North Cascades, lake level in Tahoe. Wyoming and CO will see weak energy again with fairly high (above seasonal norms) snow levels. Snow will be heavier, wet "powder". Further out (Feb. 24-26th) looks like colder, stronger systems coming in. Too soon to verify where that bullseye will be.
snow conditions
Both ECM and GFS see cold and snow at the end of next week.

In the meantime snow showers for the eastern Alps.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Both ECM and GFS see cold and snow at the end of next week.

In the meantime snow showers for the eastern Alps.

You have my attention mate...Very Happy arrive in Montgenerve on the 26th so any updates over the next week will be most welcome Cool
snow report
I'm with you @Spike107, arrive Sestriere on the 26th, so come on snow guru's tell us what we want to hear.....please Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
For me its Megeve on the 2nd of March - a small refresh just 20cm would be enough to make me smile!
latest report
I am considering getting on the bus next week too (first trip this year!). Looks like my patience might just pay off but will be reading with interest too. Come on snow gods!
ski holidays
We are off to the northern French alps (Morillon) tomorrow. I'm expecting warm and dry until maybe Thursday or Friday when it may rain or snow. If anyone has any other info or views on this i would love to hear them.

Thanks for all the updates over the winter from everyone. I have loved reading them.
snow report
I'll be happy with an early finish from work tomorrow !
snow conditions
@breeze11, I think that is about the sum of it.
snow report
ECM (and GFS) still have thinks looking good for next weekend

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 17-02-17 11:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Snow for next weekend now coming into view on this

latest report
But will it fall as rain or snow???
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
But will it fall as rain or snow???

Snow. Might have a little rain at first before the winds turn northwards.

P.S. I'm not sure how they work those numbers out. Usually safe to divide them by 3 or 4. So about a foot forecast for the Ski Amade area.

Also the main run on GFS looks a bit of an outlier.
snow conditions
Snowing now in Wengen Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy