Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Whitegold, I wish I had your crystal ball.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
esaw1 wrote:
@Whitegold, I wish I had your crystal ball.

A 100% accuracy rate this season, son.

Predicted dry Dec, windy early-Jan, and snowy mid-Jan wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't doubt it. That's why I wish I had your crystal ball.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Much of this week looks very pleasant. Cool and sunny.

After that is unclear.

00z ECM keeps high pressure in charge into the second week, which would be settled but increasingly mild.

12z GFS is still toying with fresh snowfall in the north from around 27 January in far FI and closer in has snow in the southern Alps next Sunday and for the Pyrenees tomorrow and Saturday.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lucky escape at Westendorf near Kitz. Five skiers buried one fully, none had transceivers, but fortunately the avalanche safety team were training nearby and the buried teenager was found safely by one of the Alsatians being put through her paces.

http://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2820031/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen wrote:

12z GFS is still toying with fresh snowfall in the north from around 27 January in far FI and closer in has snow in the southern Alps next Sunday and for the Pyrenees tomorrow and Saturday.

A few cms around the 23rd also (for E Alps anyway)?

http://www.meteociel.fr/tendances/40887/bad_gastein.htm
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
looking at the recent model run its hard (for an amateur) like me to understand whats going on... few forcasts are toying with the idea of bringing back decent snow by the 24th / 25th to the west.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nozawaonsen wrote:
Lucky escape at Westendorf near Kitz. Five skiers buried one fully, none had transceivers, but fortunately the avalanche safety team were training nearby and the buried teenager was found safely by one of the Alsatians being put through her paces.

http://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2820031/

Lucky!!

German photographer was less lucky in Brand (Vorarlberg) yesterday Sad

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2819978/

I'm not sure ORF have all of it correct (differs slightly to the radio anyway - who reported the mountain rescue got to the avalanche area rather than the end of the debris), but roughly:

2 ice climbers + photographer on a shoot were caught by a powder avalanche that swept them all several hundred metres down the mountain. One climber managed to free himself then find/rescue his partner alive; they then both located/dug out the photographer under 80cm of snow who was sadly already dead. They called mountain rescue, who came came to the area but could not go all the way due to continuing avalanche danger. They spoke to the two climbers on the phone and directed them to safety - but both were caught in a secondary slide on the way out (but were ok). The photographer was recovered today I believe.

I was only about 30km away at the time and the blizzard was FIERCE all day. I assume they must have been experienced going climbing/shooting in those conditions - certainly after the avalanche they seemed to deal with the situation very effectively.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@whitegold

I'm impressed with your 100% accuracy so far this season, what does February offer us ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@whitegold

I'm impressed with your 100% accuracy so far this season, what does February offer us ?

And how about March?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DJL wrote:
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@whitegold

And how about March?

There will be no snow in July and it will be warm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FrediKanoute wrote:
Quote:

@Jellybeans1000
Possible El Niño by April according to current modelling from NASA and UKMO.

What does this mean? A dry March and warmer temp's?

It's just food for some thought. It doesn't mean a whole lot for Europe except interactions with other teleconnections.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@whitegold

What about January 2020 Laughing rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've noticed Chamonix/Three valleys and surrounds are seeing some activity from the 23rd right till the end of the month. Is data this far out to be trusted? Anybody willing to make a call? Few days ago there wasn't much but something looks to be brewing here. Temps however look marginal at least relative to very recently.

Three valleys (will update)

Chamonix (will update)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@neslot EC is showing some interesting stuff around that time. Long term update in the works.
snow report
neslot wrote:
Is data this far out to be trusted?

no
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
neslot wrote:

no

no's probably a bit simplistic of an answer. its obviously a long way out, but i'd think that with that much activity something is likely to happen, its just too early to agree when.
latest report
eddiethebus wrote:
kitenski wrote:
neslot wrote:

no

no's probably a bit simplistic of an answer. its obviously a long way out, but i'd think that with that much activity something is likely to happen, its just too early to agree when.

By "that much activity" you mean "complete disagreement in the ensembles" Smile

Seriously it's too far out, it's an interesting event to keep an eye on and see if/how it develops IMHO.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
...it's an interesting event to keep an eye on and see if/how it develops IMHO.
That's the most you can ever hope for, that far out. Something to follow with interest to see how it develops, but not something to plan for or even pin hopes on.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
neslot wrote:

no

With full access to all long range resources, you can make a general prediction. Has some worth if you are smart about it, especially now we are into proper cold winter.
ski holidays
All the same I would have thought the sheer repetitive number of large peaks on the Chamonix chart over a number of days is a bit unusual? Especially as several different perturbations are involved? Would it be ridiculous to say they are on to something but just can't pin when?

Over on TWO there is talk of an SSW event pending? Obviously the chat there is UK focussed so not sure what that means for the Alps?
snow report
kitenski wrote:

Its not complete disagreement though is it. They are all saying to expect some precipitation, they only disagree on the amount and the exact timing.
snow conditions
A quick question - weather systems coming in from the Atlantic, what we normally have (in the UK) have been lacking so far this winter in comparison to other years, but what impact do these have on the Alps in regard to snow fall, if any?
latest report
eddiethebus wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Its not complete disagreement though is it. They are all saying to expect some precipitation, they only disagree on the amount and the exact timing.

Not much to agree on then. Only that there is going to be some sort of weather on those days!

Sounds like arguments I have with my wife! Very Happy
snow report
iPope wrote:
A quick question - weather systems coming in from the Atlantic, what we normally have (in the UK) have been lacking so far this winter in comparison to other years, but what impact do these have on the Alps in regard to snow fall, if any?

Lack of snow in the NW Alps

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 16-01-17 14:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
iPope wrote:

Depends on how these weather systems affect the UK. If they move across the UK in a NW to SE direction, then they will usually affect the Alps (West and North). If they move across or affect the UK in a SW to NE direction then they usually (if at all) will not affect the Alps. Thats a very simplified explanation though. The problem this winter has been high pressure being dominant across Western Europe and thus blocking the weather systems from reaching the Alps. And as you have already mentioned, these weather systems have also not been affecting the Southern half of the UK very much
ski holidays
Over the last few days model output for the last week of January has shown a tendency to bring back an increased influence of the Atlantic, certainly in comparison to the coming week which is dominated by high pressure.

So this week looks settled, sunny and generally quite cold in the Alps.

The following week looks more unsettled, possibly stormier and under the influence of the Atlantic milder. If that came to pass you would see snowfall for the northern side of the Alps more so in the west, but a higher freezing level.

On balance and based on the current output that feels about right to me, but at that range you can't talk about high confidence (and usually confidence and trust go together). Certainly at that distance I'd have a low level of confidence in terms of important details such as snowfall amounts, freezing level, wind and actually what day any system might hit and from what direction! But I'd certainly say it's worth keeping an eye on.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
But I'd certainly say it's worth keeping an eye on.

Don't worry, we'll certainly be doing that.
Indeed, as is clear from this thread, some of us hardly do anything else.
(Back out to the mountains tomorrow - will be taking the extra thick long-johns and my woolly muffler)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haven't got on the snow yet this season, went to the sun instead over NY.

I'm due in Verbier 1st week in Feb, so keep the good news coming!!

P.s. don't worry about reliability/trust/etc all vastly overrated imho, I'm much more into happy optimistic weather forecasts tbh. Well I live in Ireland & you kind of have to have that attitude about the weather in fairness.
'Ahh shur, it will be grand' Wink
ski holidays
Thanks for the explanations in response to my question about Atlantic weather systems - as I suspected there are many variables to consider.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/suY06PVK_bI

Looks like the Atlantic is coming in last week of January.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, and that means?? (for the simple folk...like me)
snow report
@Chris Brookes, potential for heavy snowfall for northern Alps. Particularly the western end. But. Also stormy, high winds and possibly above average snow line especially the western end.

Plenty of detail still to be sorted out though.
ski holidays
Thanks @nozawaonsen
snow report
@nozawaonsen, In my case sometimes knowing a little is much worse than knowing nothing but the 850's look alarmingly high? Hope that doesn't mean rain below, say, 2000m?
snow conditions
@robboj, possible but far too early to tell.
latest report
Alps warming up, possible heavy rain. UK cooling down, possible heavy rain. How ironic would that be?
snow report
ECM sees it quite a bit colder?

snow report
@nozawaonsen, you're undoubtedly right but my ability to be rational about FI never ceases to go out the window as soon as it turns adverse in such a way.
ski holidays
Really strong winds and drifting snow forecast for Lake Geneva for the next two days from the icy Bise wind. Don't know if/how this will affect the resorts south of the lake
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy