Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
This is good to see where precipitation is happening

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/radar2.php?region=fr&mode=1
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Toadman,

No need to apologise. Others are being rather pedantic.

Simply remove the word "rain" (which is superfluous in that context) & it's exactly what we say! wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

As has been so often the case amounts predicted and actual can vary hugely and unfortunately it's always for the worst, in that we never get more than the forecast.

dangly bits.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, ok am I being thick ?

I use Meteo France site for avalanche bulletins and general weather forecasts etc but for the life of me can not see where they predict accumulation http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/serre-chevalier/05100

As has been so often the case amounts predicted and actual can vary hugely and unfortunately it's always for the worst, in that we never get more than the forecast.

And no doubt that will be the case by this time Saturday rolling eyes

In the avalanche bulletin

passée - what happened
prévue - what is predicted to happen

So for where you are 2cm happened, 15cm is predicted for today.

Back to predictions to Monday. Locals are going with 50cm fresh @2000m altitude if you believe in crowdsourcing. There will be a thaw and rain to high altitudes which will turn to snow - so not looking so good for the lower slopes. My colleagues are booking Monday off to "go high".
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zermatt - snowing now - needs a few more cms to really make things look like winter but the pistes were decent/better than that and lunch great - have seen forecast from 0 to 30 cm for next 36 hours.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, depends where you are of course....generally the outlook north and east of grenoble is pretty epic. At the giddy end, you have snowforecast penciling in 90cm, and at the sensible end YR has 50cm down to 1200m. These don't come around very often, so if it was me, I'd jump in the car and smoke it out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, was being dense, actually have found it now - knew I'd seen it - just buried in a different section of the site.

Staggering differences between (as ever) here and La Grave

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/la-grave-la-meije/050631

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/serre-chevalier/050231

So fancy meeting up in LG Saturday ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Reporting rain at resort level in Verbier.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowing in Alpe d'Huez Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ptspeak wrote:
Reporting rain at resort level in Verbier.

Supposed to turn to snow at resort level overnight and stay that for for the weekend. It should be snowing up the mountain - freezing level just above village level according to bergfex.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is where 12z GFS sees most of the snowfall in the coming week (or rather next few days). Primarily the northern side of the Alps andfor France closer to the Swiss border looks better.

Out in FI things could be starting to look better for the southern side from around 21 January.

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been looking at snow forecast. Com and looking at the sky in aosta.
Wildly varying
One says 20cm of snow and my eyes tell me rain that might turn to a skiff of snow.
Bemused to see who's right in the morning but 16cm just seems ludicrous from what I've been looking at all day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hawkwind, looking at the forecasts the closer you are to the top NW corner (such as Courmayer) the more likely you are to benefit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah looks better over there but snowforecast.com still happy to predict 20cm in Pila.
Seems fairly misleading to me, maybe I'll be happily wrong 😀
Have to go out and I'll be bringing a raincoat!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SLF updated forecast for Switzerland (my bold).

Weather forecast through Friday, 13.1.2017

Skies will be overcast during the night. Snowfall is expected to set in over widespread areas, in western regions the snowfall will be persistent and intensive. The snowfall level is expected to drop down to low lying areas by the early morning hours. During the daytime, snowfall will continue in northern regions. In southern regions, it will become increasingly sunny as a result of northerly winds.

Fresh snow

- Northern and furthermost western parts of the Lower Valais: 30 to 50 cm; in the furthermost western parts as much as 60 cm from place to place;

- Northern flank of the Alps, remaining parts of Valais not including valleys of Visp and not including the Simplon region: 20 to 40 cm;

- Northern Grisons, northern Ticino, Jura: 15 to 25 cm;

- Remaining regions of Switzerland: 5 to 15 cm.

Temperature

Temperatures are expected to drop significantly, at midday at 2000 m, -13 °C.

Wind

Winds will be blowing at strong velocity, intermittently at storm strength, shifting from westerly to northwesterly.

Outlook through Sunday, 15.1.2017

North of the Main Alpine Ridge, skies will be heavily overcast, accompanied by snowfall down to low lying areas. At intermediate and high altitudes of the northern flank of the Alps, in northern Grisons and in the Valais, persistent snowfall is anticipated on Saturday. In those regions, an additional 30 to 50 cm of fresh fallen snow is possible. In southern regions skies will be partly overcast on Saturday, on Sunday it will be quite sunny.

The avalanche danger is expected to increase on Sunday over widespread areas, in the Lower Valais and along the northern Alpine Ridge level 4 - "high" - is possible. For backcountry skiers and freeriders the avalanche danger levels will remain critical over widespread areas on Sunday as well. In Southern regions, the avalanche danger levels are not expected to change significantly.
latest report
Lot of rain down low in many places today, particularly France.
snow conditions
Not partic low .....but snowing in zermatt still.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

You really are the effing snow grinch.
snow report
Well bergfex is say 0.5m of snow to land in most of the higher Slovenia resorts tomorrow, bring it on! It's already started snowing this evening
latest report
scotspikey wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Sadly true though. Pissed down with rain all afternoon and evening in Morzine. Snowing lightly now though. About 5cm on the ground outside my house. It'll be alright up top (Yorkshire accent required).
ski holidays
I love the wepowder snow forecasts - they just bring optimism to a new level ....yesterday they had Zermatt getting
30 some inches, today it has fallen off the map - 10 cm on my porch from last 2 days though here in winklematten - quite beautiful wish I could figure out how to post a pic. still snowing lightly.
snow report
It's been snowing n Val Thorens for about 21 hours now.... and it's still dumping! Toofy Grin It looks like well over a foot has fallen in the town so far. Very Happy Very Happy

It's still very windy, so I imagine most stuff will be closed. Oh, and the wind chill at the top is forecast to be minus 39C this afternoon! We are off out to play in a minute to find out. Shocked
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, was being dense, actually have found it now - knew I'd seen it - just buried in a different section of the site.

Staggering differences between (as ever) here and La Grave

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/la-grave-la-meije/050631

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/serre-chevalier/050231

So fancy meeting up in LG Saturday ?

Even better.

Disappointed with the snowfall so far (but it is ongoing). It was very warm yesterday, zero iso around 2500 then quite a lot of rain overnight to medium altitudes. Around Grenoble we're looking at 15cm (2000m). Up in the Beaufortain it is nearer 40cm (@2000m)- maybe Pam can confirm? Other areas the Northern French Alps have picked up another 25cms. Now cold enough to snow at valley level.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 13-01-17 8:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Still plenty of snow to come in the northern Alps from this current system "Egon." Temperatures dropping through the day. Winds remaining high in the west.

By Sunday things should start to calm down. A much more settled and cold pattern then looks set to dominate the Alps for a while though there looks like being further snowfall in the Pyrenees on Monday.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Eastern Pyrenees

snow conditions
30 cm fresh in Cervinia, perfect for my trip next weekend. I believe I can put my snow.c.d. to bed for this trip. Nice knowing ya all!
ski holidays
Well, in my observations over many years we do fairly often get more than forecast. 30cms fresh reported in Les Saisies by early this morning and looks like plenty more to come. I am due to fly into Chambery, where my car is, tomorrow afternoon but am not counting on it, or on getting up the mountain before bedtime.
snow report
Its snowing in Hammersmith, if only we had a hill.
ski holidays
scotspikey wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have had a heads up for another possible Retour D'Est back end next week from a guide (who could just trying to be optimistic), though this looks to be well South and not hitting the likes of the Queyras so much, but more Southern Piemonte (Limone) and Mercantour (Isola).

I'm only joining my mates for a couple of days if conditions are good. However first week of March we're doing a hut to hut from near Isola ending up on the beach near Nice as a guide mate never finished his Grand Traverse of the Alps from Vienna to Nice, and this year is the 10th Anniversary of that, and jeees did we have some snow to contend with back then when we did part of it rolling eyes

PS just back from the hill, feckin cold and at times insanely windy and that was only at 2,300 - we stuck to the forests and had a great powder morning, will put more up in the Serre thread.
snow conditions
You have to smile at the reporting of the current UK 'extreme' weather.

The BBC live feed is reporting sensational events such as..... 'hail hits Northern Ireland'.

Hope no one is watching from eastern Europe right now rolling eyes
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:

The BBC live feed is reporting sensational events such as..... 'hail hits Northern Ireland'.

Pmsl so true 👍😂😂😂
snow report
Peter S wrote:

Exactly mate, very embarrassing. It was "snowmageddon" forecast for Thursday where I live... didn't see a flake. Woke up this morning to approx 2-5cm and nothing at all was forecast for our area last night! How on earth do they get away with such appalling forecasts is beyond me... rolling eyes
snow report
On Beaufortaine - Les Contamines is claiming 40cm today and the web cams suggest that's reasonable. More in the forecast too. I'm arriving Thursday. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
On Beaufortaine - Les Contamines is claiming 40cm today and the web cams suggest that's reasonable. More in the forecast too. I'm arriving Thursday. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
With this wind would not be surprised if we see Risk 4 tomorrow in some areas.

Slabs will be building very quickly.
snow report
BBC appalling this am with film from Canterbury with a few icy slush patches next to a wet road and more grass than snow......................... Puzzled rolling eyes
latest report
Chaos on the roads north of Grenoble but fortunately there are alternative ways to get home Happy

ski holidays
Stop press: snow flake lands in home counties! Army called in!
latest report
Quote:

BBC appalling this am with film from Canterbury with a few icy slush patches next to a wet road and more grass than snow.........................

And fear builds fear. Yesterday, a member of the team didn't travel to work because there was a *yellow* weather warning for risk of snow. That's a journey from Bristol to Swindon, FFS!

I'm all for the Met Office weather warnings and appreciate that it was hard to give the amazingly precise and accurate predictions that the public seem to expect. But people really do seem to have lost a sense of perspective.

Meanwhile, nice to see the webcams showing lots of snow falling in ski resorts.
snow report
Freezing level plunging in the Pyrenees with snow falling to about 400m this afternoon. Heavy snow and high winds at resort level this morning has improved conditions greatly, and with moderate to heavy snow continuing to fall and more forecast for the next few days things are certainly looking up.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy