Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Actually that's not what us British say but at least you made a reasonable attempt at the English language. Carry on.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="HeidiAmsterdam"]
Whitegold wrote:
Mammoth, California, got 6ft of snow in 2 days last week... The same as some low Austrian resorts get in an entire year...

Just returned from California. Couldn't partake in any of the goodness. High winds closed lifts Tuesday. Avalanche controls closed after the big snow on Wednesday. With another big storm coming in, we were unsure if we could make it out of the mountains on time.

So, after 2 days of hanging out in Reno, made a dash during the weather break, while others hit the slopes. Things opened around noon on Thursday, and Friday it was packed, Saturday the next storm of the Pinneapple express rolled in. Sunday we flew home. It was Thursday we made our mad dash over Donner's pass....

Bought the Mountain Collective pass, so I still have my 2 days at Squaw, Mammoth, and Whistler, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole.... probably another trip back to the states is in order.

That said... we had a fabulous 12 days at the Cliff Lodge in Snowbird.... will post a trip report.. no regrets. Can recommend a hot tub on your balcony overlooking the pistes Laughing

@HeidiAmsterdam Probably a prudent move to get out of Dodge..., er, Reno when you had the chance. Donner Pass closed down on Sunday due to 300 yard wide mudslide. Both sides of I80 up to a couple meters deep.

Based on how this winter has been going, it seems like a good idea to come back and sample some of those other resorts on the MCP!

I'm sampling Sun Valley this weekend, followed by Telluride at end of January and Aspen/Snowmass beginning of February. And need to figure out when to work in a trip to Whistler as well!

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
esaw1 wrote:
Actually that's not what us British say but at least you made a reasonable attempt at the English language. Carry on.

I stand corrected!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heavy snow and a bit of wind all day at Baqueira. More forecast overnight with a brief respite before very cold weather and more snow over the weekend.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="Toadman"]
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Mammoth, California, got 6ft of snow in 2 days last week... The same as some low Austrian resorts get in an entire year...

Just returned from California. Couldn't partake in any of the goodness. High winds closed lifts Tuesday. Avalanche controls closed after the big snow on Wednesday. With another big storm coming in, we were unsure if we could make it out of the mountains on time.

So, after 2 days of hanging out in Reno, made a dash during the weather break, while others hit the slopes. Things opened around noon on Thursday, and Friday it was packed, Saturday the next storm of the Pinneapple express rolled in. Sunday we flew home. It was Thursday we made our mad dash over Donner's pass....

Bought the Mountain Collective pass, so I still have my 2 days at Squaw, Mammoth, and Whistler, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole.... probably another trip back to the states is in order.

That said... we had a fabulous 12 days at the Cliff Lodge in Snowbird.... will post a trip report.. no regrets. Can recommend a hot tub on your balcony overlooking the pistes Laughing

@HeidiAmsterdam Probably a prudent move to get out of Dodge..., er, Reno when you had the chance. Donner Pass closed down on Sunday due to 300 yard wide mudslide. Both sides of I80 up to a couple meters deep.

Based on how this winter has been going, it seems like a good idea to come back and sample some of those other resorts on the MCP!

I'm sampling Sun Valley this weekend, followed by Telluride at end of January and Aspen/Snowmass beginning of February. And need to figure out when to work in a trip to Whistler as well!

Very Happy

I need to tag along Toadman... already looking at flights, as I have conference in SFO end of Jan... but can probably only swing Mammoth or Squaw -
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Toadman wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Yes, but what you forgot to mention is the other 6 feet of snow they are getting right now...

Currently in Oakland, CA where as the Brits like to say, "it's pissing down rain right now." wink

He's a week behind wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="Toadman"]
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Very Happy

Just at Aspen Airport now, conditions are superb, sad to leave Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apart from a brief period on Thursday 18z GFS keeps temperatures below average for the Alps and Pyrenees for the next two weeks. January overall looking notably cold, but more settled in the second half of the month at present.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The second half of January is looking cold and dry for the Alps and Pyrenees.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Eastern Pyrenees

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chamonix's looking good for Friday 13th. Now I just hope the road is clear to get up the valley Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For the French N.A the lastest storm brought 5-10cm, 15cm locally. In the Pyrenees 40cm in the central ranges. 5cm in the Southern Alps.

As Mr. Archer would say "that won't get the pigs in".

Still 5cm in our small town was enough to render the roads completely treacherous - the polished snow of last night has now frozen into ice and with no gritting is lethal.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold wrote:

Well if California can go from what, 6-8 years? of drought and crappy skiing to that I'm sure there's hope for the future of the Alps too Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mammoth Village - 2400m above sea level
"Low" Austrian Villages - 600-1000m above sea level

Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mammoth Village - 37deg N
"Low" Austrian Villages - 47deg N

Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What I love about the Low Austrian Villages is the people, culture, cuisine, hospitality and history. Having never skied in America I couldn't possibly comment on that.
ski holidays
^ Many of the low Austrian villages have had >180cm snowfall this year (with plenty sat on the ground atm) anyway!
snow report
good to see 'Mr MtBlanc is wearing some suitably substantial headwear today ...... (i believe this is normally indicative of the white stuff arriving)
[/img]
latest report
esaw1 wrote:
What I love about the Low Austrian Villages is the people, culture, cuisine, hospitality and history. Having never skied in America I couldn't possibly comment on that.

All those quaint Austrian village folk, like Josef Fritzl and Adolf Hitler Laughing
snow conditions
esaw1 wrote:

Hmm. America, lovely well prepare slopes, often great powder and excellent service. The overall ambience of the holiday however never feels quite right though, would describe the experience as a bit soulless. And as for the cuisine .......
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
esaw1 wrote:

All those quaint Austrian village folk, like Josef Fritzl and Adolf Hitler Laughing

TRUMP
snow report
whats the ecm saying today?
latest report
seany1 wrote:
@Whitegold, https://www.facebook.com/sean.marsh.509/posts/10154058166472077
schladming....a "low" austrian resort.....pistes are awesome.....the off piste yesterday was above waist through the trees....I come here a lot have a season pass....always been great.....they do pretty good for a "low" resort

Relax, blud.

I like Austria. Just spent a few days in Lech.

But there is no getting away from it, outside parts of the Arlberg, most of Austria does not get massive snow.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
seany1 wrote:
@Whitegold, https://www.facebook.com/sean.marsh.509/posts/10154058166472077
schladming....a "low" austrian resort.....pistes are awesome.....the off piste yesterday was above waist through the trees....I come here a lot have a season pass....always been great.....they do pretty good for a "low" resort

Relax, blud.

I like Austria. Just spent a few days in Lech.

But there is no getting away from it, outside parts of the Arlberg, most of Austria does not get massive snow.

Kind of right (we all love the Arlberg), but not totally.

Yeah there are places in the middle that don't get that much snow - i.e. Kitzbühel I think only averages around 6m a season, and despite the altitude Kühtai often seems fairly dry - but go further east and things get snowier again. Obertauern for example averages around 8m season (ok it's no Mt Baker, but that's more than any French resort and not far off Squaw and other California resorts) and there are some real snow holes among the tiny unknown villages east of Salzburg too.
snow conditions
Is this the first time the Weather Outlook thread has conformed to Godwin's Law?
ski holidays
@Posidrive,
I can't disagree. Resorts like Vail are sometimes poor attempts to replicate European villages. However, others such as Telluride, Park City, and Jackson have their own unique mix of cowboy, Native American and skiing culture that while not Austrian, is kind of cool.
latest report
[quote]
No I don't think its going to be enough. Used my season pass 1 day, on the 11th November 2016 ! That'll learn me, as they say.

That's one day more than me so far; 1st season in a long time I've not been able to ski locally before Chrimbo. Still at 160 euros a pop for the season, I'll carry on taking the risk.
snow report
@Posidrive, Totally agree with you and I'm an American (albeit one with an Austrian father). I've skied some of the best snow of my life in Colorado and Utah, and I love the small resorts of the East Coast where I live, but nothing compares to skiing in the Alps, particularly Austria, Switzerland and Italy. It's the sense of tradition, the real villages that weren't manufactured for ski tourism, the food and the mountains. Skiing out west in America might give you deeper snow and higher elevations, but the mountains are far less dramatic and most of the resorts feel too corporate. It's the Disney version of skiing.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
For the French N.A the lastest storm brought 5-10cm, 15cm locally. In the Pyrenees 40cm in the central ranges. 5cm in the Southern Alps.

As Mr. Archer would say "that won't get the pigs in".

Still 5cm in our small town was enough to render the roads completely treacherous - the polished snow of last night has now frozen into ice and with no gritting is lethal.

Baqueira 35cm, Peyragudes 35cm and Superbagneres 40cm. This was very much needed, and will improve conditions significantly, and though there is a slight lull with temperatures rising today and tomorrow the next week looks like very cold indeed with more snow.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonathancarty, i had to remind myself of Goodwin's Law. Well spotted. And i think you might be right. Amazing how it happens.
Meantime, certainly getting cold here in London.
snow report
@Posidrive,
I can't disagree. Resorts like Vail are sometimes poor attempts to replicate European villages. However, others such as Telluride, Park City, and Jackson have their own unique mix of cowboy, Native American and skiing culture that while not Austrian, is kind of cool.
snow conditions
ArlbergMeister wrote:
It's the sense of tradition, the real villages that weren't manufactured for ski tourism, the food and the mountains.
How many of those real villages could be sustained in their current form without ski tourism? Seems to me that all ski resorts are manufactured to some extent for the purposes of ski tourism, even if the initial seed was a genuine village which grew up around the local agriculture.
snow report
@rob@rar, Yes, of course there are strong elements of tourism throughout the Alps. I'm merely pointing out that they feel more organic than a what you often find here in the States. I prefer but not knocking American skiing. To each his own.
snow report
Lots of flooding going on here in Central California. Crazy amount of moisture that has come through so far. About 20" over the past 7 days. Most Tahoe resorts reporting in the 1 meter plus range form last nights storm. Another one coming for Thursday with another 20cm-40cm forecast with colder temps. Then a cooling trend over the weekend before the next round looks to come in the middle of next week.

Also - most Tahoe ski resorts just 11 days into month of January reporting snowfall totals over 3 meters! Shocked
latest report
Quote:

rob@rar
super-snowHead

ArlbergMeister wrote:
It's the sense of tradition, the real villages that weren't manufactured for ski tourism, the food and the mountains.
How many of those real villages could be sustained in their current form without ski tourism? Seems to me that all ski resorts are manufactured to some extent for the purposes of ski tourism, even if the initial seed was a genuine village which grew up around the local agriculture.

Most of them have been expanded over the years to become major winter and summer holiday resorts but there is still a huge difference between most Austrian resorts and a lot of the older French villages. Compare to the major man made ones like Avoriaz, Les Arc, Les Menuire which are great ski areas but had a lot of high rises etc built in the 60's and 70's to accommodate mass tourism and some of them are real eyesores. They all have areas that are traditional but places like Flaine and Val Thoren are very ugly and the buildings look like the ones on the outskirts of London when you arrive at paddington. I understand why some would not find the US resorts charming as they are nearly all man made I believe whereas some of the resorts in France and Austria are old trading post dating back many hundreds of years.

Back to topic, all this snow has changed the whole season now. You always know it will arrive at some point but the longer it stays dry the more you wonder if it will happen.
latest report
@mheadbee, I agree with you that there are significant differences, obviously there are. I was simply taking issue with the notion that some places are authentic, while others are fake and Disneyfied. All ski resorts are purpose built to a greater or lesser, around the needs of tourism. But enough of this off piste chat. Cold and expectant here in Les Arcs.
snow conditions
Back to snow :

Still not seeing the amounts forecast by Meteo France. They are claiming there should be 40cm of fresh snow at 2000m around Grenoble, I'm counting 15cm to date since Sunday.

Further north in the PdS Meteo France are saying 55cm of fresh snow but it seems more like 20cm.

Autrans ski area says that the snow fallen to date "doesn't significantly change the situation" (e.g. not good).

Some local forecasts are for another 30-50cm for the Northern Alps on Friday, 20cm on Sunday. Very optimistic I think.
ski holidays
@davidof, Maybe Meteo France are doing their bit for the economy?
ski holidays
I thought the heaviest snow was forecast for Friday night/Saturday am?
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
I thought the heaviest snow was forecast for Friday night/Saturday am?

The MeteoSwiss 44 hour radar projection (which is usually a good indicator) shows precipitation-bearing clouds sweeping in west (later west-north-west) over the northern French Alps and the Swiss Alps from late this afternoon and into tomorrow. Not a huge amount of activity projected for this morning though.
latest report
@davidof, ok am I being thick ?

I use Meteo France site for avalanche bulletins and general weather forecasts etc but for the life of me can not see where they predict accumulation http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/serre-chevalier/05100

As has been so often the case amounts predicted and actual can vary hugely and unfortunately it's always for the worst, in that we never get more than the forecast.

And no doubt that will be the case by this time Saturday rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy