Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Rothorn http://www.matterhornparadise.ch/webcams/Zermatt_Rothorn_pos1/current.jpg?ver=1476379464370Zermatt. Live webcam shows reasonably heavy snow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't look like much settled at Mid level in Zermatt last PM. Although some falling on Gornergrat / Trockner at the moment. Hopefully it sticks around before the temps jump tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Little action in Mediterrain...

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is over 2m forecast for Zermatt (over next 9 days) Shock snowHead.....freezing level gradually dropping from around 2500m from Wed onwards, to about 2000m or slightly below.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A milder spell at present, before cooling down mid week. Snow showers down to 1100m in the eastern Alps at the end of this week. Looks like this will be followed by warmer weather.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen wrote:
A milder spell at present, before cooling down mid week. Snow showers down to 1100m in the eastern Alps at the end of this week. Looks like this will be followed by warmer weather.

Looks like a bit more than showers. Could be half a metre.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowheads68, out of curiosity what makes you say that and for where? I can see maybe 20+cms maximum locally at altitude over the period I was referring to, but happy to be persuaded otherwise.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[/img]
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowheads68, can't have been that particular chart you were referring to in your earlier comment as that one hadn't been updated to the 18z run at that stage. But it's a fair point that the 18z GFS op run is more bullish. Let's see how it looks tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@matejp,

I found Gavs ECMWF Seasonal Model Forecast Interpretation from yesterday an interesting listen (plus the comparison charts between now and this time last year).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tignes on Sunday

http://youtube.com/v/o-SFoVPEgn4
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, wonderful stuff.
(who's the bloke with the broad grin and impressive beard?)
And was that really yesterday?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, trying to get my bearings on that video, are they skiing down to the RHS of the glacier as you face up hill, where there is a T bar? I see all the jumps/fun park there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good, new analysis of Swiss snowfall.

Maximum snowdepth in Switzerland has plunged -25% in the past 45 years.

There were almost 40 fewer snow days in 2015 than in 1970.

The snowfall decrease and melting increase are happening at all altitudes -- low, mid and high:

https://www.thelocal.at/20160929/high-altitude-ski-resorts-losing-their-snow
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Millom: True, very interesting listen. I try to apply his forecasts for the Alps since he's predicting winter for UK and I think (probably wrong) cold winter in UK is not always a good sign for the winter in the Alps. Although the jet-stream is placed in southern Europe which will bring moisture from Mediterranean and Atlantic to the Alps it's not necessary that it will be cold.

I hope for the best outcome -> night storms with 15-30 cm of freshies then bluebird day Smile...
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
davidof, wonderful stuff.
(who's the bloke with the broad grin and impressive beard?)
And was that really yesterday?

Mr Yogi Tea - he's French btw; some background http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/alpes/2014/09/08/atma-singh-l-ex-skieur-devenu-professeur-de-yoga-et-revendeur-de-yogi-tea-546386.html
has a pretty daughter who ski tours who I see around sometimes.

The other guy is Steph Mougin, who is a local (Grenoble) ski tourer.

Both do skimo competitions so I guess it is training. I assume they are on the face (east) of the Grande Motte; I'm at work so can't look again now.
snow conditions
Latest forecast seems to have brought the snow forward a day.

Wed in the E Alps could be snowy. Still forecasting 50cm+

Typically I'm travelling on the Thursday. Heavy snow this time of year can cause chaos with leaves still on the trees.
snow report
My own take on it is that any snowfall of 50cm+ will be at high altitude and very localised, but it does look like fresh snowfall Wednesday Thursday to relatively low levels in the eastern Alps.
latest report
The latest run seems to have ramped things up again.

latest report
The 18z GFS increased snowfall for Salzburgerland, but decreased it elsewhere. 00z has pulled it back down a little, but still shows intense localised snowfall in parts of Salzburgerland. Elsewhere in Austria although there will be fresh snow it won't be as much. In practical terms that means Kaprun is likely to benefit most of the open glaciers.
snow report
Wetter.at on the arrival of tief Christa. Announcing herself with heavy rain in Austria this morning.

http://app3.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Kaltfront-bringt-den-Schnee-zurueck/255191741
snow report
Latest GFS output has reduced some of the rather high figures of yesterday but is still showing locally strong snowfall around in Austria over next few days, Salzburgerlsnd in particular, down to 1200m or so. Should be a good refresh for the glaciers if you can get to them.
latest report
Thinking of doing a late February / early March 2017 trip to St Anton... The long range forecasts suggest that westerly winds and a dominant westerly storm track will once again dominate this coming winter. With a predominantly westerly influence and warmer air being pulled in from the Atlantic, how will the snowfall be influenced? Also as I understand St Anton is often influenced by prolonged periods of Foehn winds, which warm up the area significantly. Is this something to be worried about or can St Anton (the Arlberg area in general) handle this sort of weather pattern due to its altitude and unique location in the Alps?

I have done 3 ski trips to the eastern Alps (Ski-Welt / Ellmau) and on two previous occasions the snow cover was limited due to weak snow falls and prolonged warm periods. This year we had +17 in the valley in Ellmau during the last week of January.

I skied ST Anton mid January 2015 and it was brilliant, but then again the dominant storm track was from the North-West. I'm no weather expert, just going on observations from previous years.

Any advice / re-assurance would be great.

Thanks.
snow report
Don87 wrote:
The long range forecasts suggest that westerly winds and a dominant westerly storm track will once again dominate this coming winter

Does it??

I thought recently it seemed like high pressure blocking over Scandinavia and Greenland may cause weather dominated from the east this winter. In fact Gav (GavsWeatherVids) had been suggesting a rather different winter than the last few. Obviously all subject to change and take long range forecasts with a pinch of salt. Also St Anton late feb/early march is about as snow sure as you can get....so don't sweat about it.
ski holidays
@AthersT, Thanks, do you maybe have a link for me? Seems like I have been looking at all the wrong forecasts.
latest report
@Don87, https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
http://www.gavsweathervids.com/

He does 1 or 2 videos a day commenting from a mainly UK standpoint analysing many weather models, he has been doing a weekly "Winter" forecast for the last few weeks and posts those on Sundays. Check him out - he analyses multiple models and comes up with some interesting conclusions.
snow conditions
Looks like there was some hikeable October powder above Col Agnel in the Queyras at the weekend...on the WePowder Vimeo channel...Winter's coming!! snowHead

from
https://vimeo.com/187521900
snow conditions
Zermatt.

Hintertux

After a further few cools days temperatures warming up across the Alps from 24 October before dropping again in the second half of next week (around 27 October).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
12z GFS suggesting a fairly cold end to October and start to November. By contrast ECM goes mild from 24 October and keeps it there.
ski holidays
Warming up on 24 October. Cooling down on 27 October. ECM now saying cooler for a few days. GFS around average before dropping. So no consistency at this stage.

Lovely grippy snow in Hintertux. Probably had 20-30cm fresh up top in last few days.
ski holidays
A-Basin, in Colorado, opened today, Oct 21, 2016.

Loveland opens next week.

The North American 2016 / 2017 season is go...

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1gqxvRPXqLaxB

snow report
More photos from Arapahoe's opening day, yesterday:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2016/10/21/photos-and-video-opening-day-at-a-basin/

snow report
Happy to say queues in Hintertux today were nothing like that.

Fresh snow in the Alps looks possible as temperatures drop on 27 October, but still a fair amount of uncertaintyveyobd the warm up on Sunday/Monday.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, same at Stubai, despite being the official opening. Really nice snow, grippy on piste and powdery moguls at the sides.
snow report
Definitely some sleet in the rain up at Yad Moss today. snowHead
ski holidays
@Peter S, yay. I've got a good feeling about winter this year for the Pennines. You can hold me to this post! 🙏🏻
ski holidays
Nonglacier openings so far in the Northern Hemisphere include:

Finland (Ruka) = Oct 10, 2016;
Colorado (A-Basin) = Oct 21, 2016;
Austria (Kitzbuehel) = Oct 22, 2016.

Kitz at ~1900m this weekend...

snow report
Very warm today, zero iso around 3500/4000 meters with the foehn wind.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, @clarky999, I'm coming this Saturday to a glacier in Austria for three days. I can see some very high temps and some rain at 2,500 / snow at the top in the mid-week forecast, and then sun. Do you think there's anything to choose between Sölden / Hintertux / Stubai on the basis of weather / snow, or will it all be much of a muchness? (Hintertux seems to have the most slopes open, but then again it's an extra half hour drive, nearly).
snow conditions
@horizon, can't comment on Stubai as I've not been there yet this season. Hintertux should certainly still be good this weekend though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy