Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Whitegold, that sounds like a guess. And looking at your previous comments, most of your predictions are negative ones, so......
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Though it is the season of good will to all, I have been an avid reader but a lesser contributor to this thread for many years having lived in the heart of the Pyrenees for the last 12 years. And to be honest I have always enjoyed the comments of many posters who have helped hone my own understanding of the weather, the forecasting and the nuances of both.

However I have also noticed that over the last couple of years there have been those whose sole interest is either self publicity (thankfully no more from Serre) or those who just feel the need to rubbish those who are honestly trying to help.

Lets hope that 2017 gets this thread back on track - and hopefully we are all talking about snow Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 24-12-16 8:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski Guide wrote:

Lets hope that 2017 gets this thread back on track - and hopefully we are all talking about snow Happy

It's snowing again at my house - to be honest I've had about enough of it now! Still have a bad back from having to excavate my truck in order to go skiing!

wink Madeye-Smiley snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Storm Barbara seems to have generated some snow in the highlands on Scotland and more on the way.

Anyway fresh look at the long term. Added Disclaimer wink Very Happy
http://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot.com.au/2016/12/christmas-eve-long-term-forecast.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
00z GFS is why caution remains important as the high pressure fails to withdraw over the Atlantic and therefore doesn't allow colder weather to pour down. Doesn't mean it won't now happen, but less confidence now than beforehand. ECM looked better.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The high around Western Europe never really relinquishs control until the 8th of January at least...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen wrote:
00z GFS is why caution remains important as the high pressure fails to withdraw over the Atlantic and therefore doesn't allow colder weather to pour down. Doesn't mean it won't now happen, but less confidence now than beforehand. ECM looked better.

And mass hysteria and panicking commences in 5....4....3....2...1...........😱
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jellybeans1000 wrote:
The high around Western Europe never really relinquishs control until the 8th of January at least...

Not the Christmas present I was after Sad

Trying to think of where I could go in Europe that has decent snow but there's not many places. Just wish I could look forward to my trip rather than be depressed about it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Raven, some recommendations further back in this thread where places got good snow, Montgenevre and other Italian resorts from memory.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thought I was safe not leaving until 19 Jan, mild panic starting to set in now!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In my opinion @endoman, it's starting to look slightly more hopeful around New Year so maybe you don't need to panic just yet......... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're off to Morzine on the 2nd January.

I've been lurking on this page about 6 times a day for the last month and it's not looking good. Sad Sad Sad Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:

I've been lurking on this page about 6 times a day for the last month and it's not looking good. Sad Sad Sad Sad

Maybe you need to change your user name to 'no snow in morzine'

Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raven wrote:
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:

Maybe you need to change your user name to 'no snow in morzine'

Toofy Grin

Sadly I think i might have too. Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
esaw1 wrote:
In my opinion @endoman, it's starting to look slightly more hopeful around New Year so maybe you don't need to panic just yet......... Toofy Grin

Here's hoping!
snow conditions
Fantasy island on the 6z run looks nice and cold and better than the 00z run.

Have faith brothers and sisters !
snow conditions
I'm in Morzine at the moment and the skiing in Avoriaz has been good, lots of runs open and the pistes are in great condition, so don't worry so much.
snow report
doddsie wrote:
I'm in Morzine at the moment and the skiing in Avoriaz has been good, lots of runs open and the pistes are in great condition, so don't worry so much.

thanks doddsie. I've been looking at the webcams and reports and high up it does seem that the runs are holding up well considering that there's not been any snow for 6 weeks.
ski holidays
snow report
davidof wrote:
For comparison, some historic data from les Contamines (lescontamines.net)

Etape - 1450m
Ruelle - 1650m
Signal - 1880m
Aiguille - 2300m

23/12/2016: 0 10 10 20
23/12/2015: 5 10 20 30
23/12/2014: 15 10 25 40
23/12/2013: 15 25 35 45
23/12/2012: 75 95 160 195
23/12/2011: 100 120 160 200
23/12/2010: 35 40 70 120
23/12/2009: 35 45 80 140
23/12/2008: 55 55 95 115
23/12/2007: 55 55 120 150
23/12/2006: 10 - 30 40

Grim data.

2016 is the worst start to the season in 11 years for Les Contamines.

Four of the 5 worst starts occurred in the past 4 years.

And 5-year rolling-average snowdepth has tumbled roughly -60%.
snow conditions
I was walking my dogs on Pleney, in Morzine, today and it was beautiful, warm, birds tweeting, the smell of fresh grass (really). Shame it's not April!
snow conditions
http://www.zapiks.fr/la-rolande-1.html

Just like 1964
latest report
Had a blast round Avoriaz. It's good. Not too busy and not too much ice. The clouds have just unexpectedly rolled in and are producing some......

Drizzle Puzzled
snow report
http://www.skicyprus.com/webcam/

Good snowfall up Troodos in Cyprus. I used to ski here when I was a young lad.
latest report
12z GFS op run once again showing more promise in FI.
ski holidays
Morzine should be good this year so I hear
snow report
It's looking good out West.

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/progs/index.php?prog=24

And looking like a powder day Christmas for Utah and Colorado. Merry Christmas!!!
ski holidays
ECM12z ends with high pressure sitting back over the Atlantic and low pressure pushing down towards the Alps.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It seems that Whitegold's guess might be correct, it looks likely that there will be some measurable white stuff overnight 1/2 Jan in the PDS, GM area.
snow conditions
P10DW wrote:
it looks likely that there will be some measurable white stuff overnight 1/2 Jan

I think "likely" is overstating it a bit! It's 8-9 days away yet. We've all got our fingers crossed but plenty of time for change...
snow report
Happy Christmas to all. Let's hope for some good falls soon. I "was" taking the fam to Lech on the 13th.
snow conditions
Woke and it's snowing !!

ECM 00z looks good in the FI.

snow conditions
snowheads68 wrote:
Woke and it's snowing !!

ECM 00z looks good in the FI.

Enjoy the snow for Christmas snowHead

Where in the alps are you?
ski holidays
Raven wrote:

Enjoy the snow for Christmas snowHead

Where in the alps are you?

Gasteinertal.
ski holidays
Just back from a cracking week in Schladming. 98% slopes open, and some excellent conditions. Slopes very quiet and a week of blue skies.
ski holidays
@james75, are the runs down to the resort open? If so what shape are they in?
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
davidof wrote:
For comparison, some historic data from les Contamines (lescontamines.net)

Etape - 1450m
Ruelle - 1650m
Signal - 1880m
Aiguille - 2300m

23/12/2016: 0 10 10 20
23/12/2015: 5 10 20 30
23/12/2014: 15 10 25 40
23/12/2013: 15 25 35 45
23/12/2012: 75 95 160 195
23/12/2011: 100 120 160 200
23/12/2010: 35 40 70 120
23/12/2009: 35 45 80 140
23/12/2008: 55 55 95 115
23/12/2007: 55 55 120 150
23/12/2006: 10 - 30 40

Grim data.

2016 is the worst start to the season in 11 years for Les Contamines.

Four of the 5 worst starts occurred in the past 4 years.

And 5-year rolling-average snowdepth has tumbled roughly -60%.

Yeah but it kind of puts to bed the myth that it never snows before Christmas, well unless most people's memories only stretch back a couple of years.
ski holidays
Been feckin mild today here in Serre +11 and hear (15 degrees difference from yesterday) hear from my mate similar in Courmayer, which will feck most of the remaining off piste Sad

That said pistes in fabarou condition though with increasing traffic will get ard!
snow report
@ricklovesthepowder skiied down to resort level at all 4 mountains over the course of the week. Planai probably best of the bunch, Reiteralm getting a bit patchy. Think they might have had a dusting over the weekend too so next week should be a cracker.
snow conditions
@james75, thank you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy