Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Accuweathers Europe winter forecast is out and interestingly leans towards the opposite of what Gav's weather videos seems to suggest. If I'm right one suggest cold and dry and the other wet and stormy. Accuweathers long range forecast has been fairly accurate the last couple of years

http://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/europe-winter-forecast-2016-2017-stormy-uk-mild-wet-france-germany/60378723
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dsoutar wrote:
Grand Targhee had a nice little flutter yesterday according to their FB page

Here's their webcams http://www.grandtarghee.com/the-mountain/area-webcams/

I think they had a bit more than a few centimeters...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153751363216751&id=37640136750
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
00z GFS has it below average in the eastern Alps till 20 October a little closer to average in the western Alps earlier. Snow in the east this weekend.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dsoutar wrote:
dsoutar wrote:
Grand Targhee had a nice little flutter yesterday according to their FB page

Here's their webcams http://www.grandtarghee.com/the-mountain/area-webcams/

I think they had a bit more than a few centimeters...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153751363216751&id=37640136750

There's been 1-2ft in parts of central Canada. Winter not far away...

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aspen got about a dozen centimeters higher up too.

https://www.aspensnowmass.com/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good shot of the Solden glacier, getting ready for its first World Cup race in a week or two.

Remaining glacier is just a thin strip.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm already weather watching cervinia, I dont go fo 105 days Puzzled

105 days of snow c d
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jones82: I have doubts that Accuweather forecasts are accurate.

For example this is their autumn 2016 forecast from 22nd of August.

[url=https://postimage.org/app.php][/url]
As you can see they were totally wrong especially for October.

To be fair... Gavs didn't excel with his autumn prediction either so... Smile

Quote:
So GWV Autumn forecast predicts a mostly Atlantic driven, westerly Autumn. We think temperatures will come out milder than average by as much as 1c to 1.5c.

In an Atlantic driven Autumn rainfall is more problematical, though the Analogues paint a very consistent picture for high pressure to be anonymously close to the country. There-fore we expect a largely drier than average Autumn. Wettest conditions are likely to be in the north and west with the south and east tending to be drier.

We think September and October could be the driest months this Autumn with November perhaps being a wetter, stormier type month. This may introduce some colder incursions from the north at times though overall we expect all three Autumn months to be above average, temperature-wise.

But... last indicators (negative NAO index, Sun spots, easterly zonal winds...) suggest very good (cold) winter for Alps.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
matejp wrote:
@Jones82: I have doubts that Accuweather forecasts are accurate.

For example this is their autumn 2016 forecast from 22nd of August.

[url=https://postimage.org/app.php][/url]
As you can see they were totally wrong especially for October.

To be fair... Gavs didn't excel with his autumn prediction either so... Smile

Quote:
So GWV Autumn forecast predicts a mostly Atlantic driven, westerly Autumn. We think temperatures will come out milder than average by as much as 1c to 1.5c.

In an Atlantic driven Autumn rainfall is more problematical, though the Analogues paint a very consistent picture for high pressure to be anonymously close to the country. There-fore we expect a largely drier than average Autumn. Wettest conditions are likely to be in the north and west with the south and east tending to be drier.

We think September and October could be the driest months this Autumn with November perhaps being a wetter, stormier type month. This may introduce some colder incursions from the north at times though overall we expect all three Autumn months to be above average, temperature-wise.

But... last indicators (negative NAO index, Sun spots, easterly zonal winds...) suggest very good (cold) winter for Alps.

Well Autumn still goes on until November when the Atlantic usually wakes up. But yeah you're right, October is looking very benign for the UK/Western Europe so far with no real signs of a change to a Westerly regime.

Cold doesn't necessarily mean cold AND snowy for the Alps though. We're going to Tignes Christmas week, hopefully the French Alps will have a better early season than when we went at the same time a couple of years ago (and of course that year there was a big dump just before transfer day when loads of people got stuck and we barely made it onto a plane going home!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GFS and ECM both have below average temperatures across Alps till mid month at which point they currently suggest things may warm up a little. Some snow showers at altitude in the first half of the week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
currently snowing at top lifts, st anton..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Winter is definitely on its way. Sitting on board an aircraft at Edinburgh Airport waiting to be de-iced. While waiting I was flicking through my phone and saw this for the first time since last season. Very Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 12-10-16 6:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am going on my first trip a bit earlier this year than usual on the 18th January so I am going to be tuning into this site a bit earlier than usual too. The last couple of years the early Jan hasn't been that great if memory serves and as I usually go the first week of Feb I am hoping the extra couple of weeks won't be an issue.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Killington, Vermont, northeast US, fired up its snowguns for the first time today.

Should be open by Nov.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mheadbee wrote:
I am going on my first trip a bit earlier this year than usual on the 18th January so I am going to be tuning into this site a bit earlier than usual too. The last couple of years the early Jan hasn't been that great if memory serves and as I usually go the first week of Feb I am hoping the extra couple of weeks won't be an issue.

where are you going?
snow report
First+ retour d'est forecast of the season for this Thursday bringing major dumpage to the French / Italian ridge.

http://pistehors.com/major-dumpage-forecast-for-southern-alps-this-week-24602899.htm

+there was a minor event in September
snow report
Perfect! Hopefully the Alps get off to a better that than last year...
snow report
As @davidof says there is further snowfall forecast for the end of the week in the Alps, more so at the western and southern end. Zermatt looks it could do well.

Temperatures however are likely to rise through the week with the snowline above 2500m by the weekend.
ski holidays
Looks like the Dolomites had a dusting today looking at the 2275m Kronplatz webcam.
ski holidays
My home mtn. got a light dusting the other day. Forecast call for dropping freezing levels to about 1,900 meters or so on Friday for the North Cascades and Whistler-Blackcomb.

https://www.facebook.com/CrystalMountainWashington/photos/pcb.10153921173565233/10153921172200233/?type=3&theater
ski holidays
danieljw wrote:
Perfect! Hopefully the Alps get off to a better that than last year...

This happened in the run up to last season too (and several Octobers prior to that) - fun for now, but no indication of anything else.

17/10/15:

snow report
Exactly!. You get these nice little early fall teaser snow falls, and then...? Who knows? I am keeping my excitement in check until later in the year.
ski holidays
This is just the lapping of the tide. Waves come in, then withdraw. How high it will be in a few months time remains to be seen. Fun to watch though. And to get out in if you have the chance...
ski holidays
Snow in Andorra

And usual Caveat: Any snow that falls below 2500 before mid November will almost certainly melt.
snow report
Looking at Obergurgl webcams on Bergfex I'd say a good 15-20cms even in the village. Looks like a warm up at the weekend though which will melt most of that but not long before back to average?

If you look at the webcam5 the cannons are on higher up and have been the last few days so they must think its worth it as that will be at or above the magical 2500m. They are scheduled to open 5 weeks tomorrow.

http://www.bergfex.com/obergurgl-hochgurgl/webcams/
snow conditions
Zermatt looking healthier up at 2720m - tomorrow looks like it should bring north of 50cm at mid level but not sure how trustworthy my sources are.

Stunning bluebird day today....time to start waxing and edging the skis me thinks.
snow report
Livigno have their snow cannons working too ...
latest report
Surely it is going to warm up too much over the next few weeks for man made snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zermatt.

Hintertux

Period around 20/21 starting to shape up.
latest report
Just heard from a mate via a guide that a fair amount of snow is falling down in the Queyras / Mont Viso / Argentera / Val Maira upwards of 60cm by Friday due to a very active low pressure.
latest report
Zermatt looks like it will get a heavy snowfall today and tomorrow. Upwards of a metre at the higher elevations and 60cm+ At mid station.
snow conditions
I think all the western Alps should be in for a treat as well today a massive dumping by the end of today, problem is it's probably won't last anywhere at the moment with fluctuating temps...
ski holidays
Its trying at the moment at mid in Zermatt - Gornergrat has low lying cloud as does Trockner Steg with v low wind speed levels. Hopefully the heavy snow comes in the PM.
snow report
The bulk of the storm is forecast for pm, settling to higher levels of chamonix AMD surrounding areas. I noticed on the champion Webcam they have now brought out the snow cats...
snow report
Currently snowing on the Serre Chevalier webcams. I know it probably wont stick around this early, and "past performance is no predictor of future performance" and all that, but nice to see all the same.
ski holidays
http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/
ski holidays
October openings at lower levels, when they occur, tend to happen in Austria, as it is further from the sea.

St Anton has a dusting to the midstation today:

ski holidays
Run28 wrote:
Its trying at the moment at mid in Zermatt - Gornergrat has low lying cloud as does Trockner Steg with v low wind speed levels. Hopefully the heavy snow comes in the PM.

latest report
pretty deep on Stubai!

https://www.facebook.com/schifahren.stubaiergletscher/videos/10154116665867753/
snow conditions
Going to be stormy in the PNW, British Columbia, and the Tetons this weekend. However, high winds, and warmish temps will mean snow levels remain high. Forecast calling for anywhere between 10cm to 30cm the farther North you go. Some coastal areas may see up to 50cm of rain. That's correct cm's, not mm's of precip. Get out your rain gear!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy