Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer skiing on the European glaciers - where's currently open/easy to get to/good conditions

Poster: A snowHead
The European summer skiing glaciers (Alps and Scandinavia) seem to have one of three policies.
- Stay open 365 days per year (e.g. Zermatt, Saas Fee, possibly Hintertux, any others?)
- Stay open until the sufficiently deep snow runs out usually August time (I think the Norwegian ones do this)
- Close in the spring then open for a couple of months in the middle of summer from late June (Les Deux Alpes I think, and presumably others).

Any recent trip reports or useful past experiences?
Also, is there any particular website which is good for this stuff?
Thanks.
NN
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We go to Zermatt for summer sliding. June is nice - snow's still good until lunchtime. Can be a bit hot in July & August, but things start improving again in September, and by October there'll be fresh snow quite regularly. Lovely village too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Judging from a video I saw a few days ago the conditions at Les Deux Alpes seem to be particularly good at the moment. I've twice spent a few days Summer skiing there. If you should be considering LDA I can recommend the B&B Hotel Lutins which is situated in the centre of town very close to the main Jandri lift.

Also if you fancy a lesson in LDA to brush up your technique you can't do better than Charlotte Swift, Easiski. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stubai is normally open 'til late June (then re-opens mid September), but closed in May this year while they're upgrading the lifts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zermatt is the only guaranteed-365 glacier left in the European Alps.

The rest are melting away.

Alpinforum, Skiclub and Planetski are good for tracking Summer skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hintertux is the best glacier I have been to in Austria in the summer (and is 365), 18km open at the moment.

Latest conditions on their web site http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/skiing/hintertux-glacier.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tignes opens on Saturday (23 Jun) with about 20km of pistes (the same as many years ago). Todays webcam is not showing a lot as they are in cloud, but looking good yesterday. Given that they had to dig the Col De L'Iseran out this year to open it should be a good early start.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimboS wrote:
Hintertux is the best glacier I have been to in Austria in the summer (and is 365), 18km open at the moment.

Latest conditions on their web site http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/skiing/hintertux-glacier.html

Tux has had to close midsummer, due to lack of skiable snow, at least once in recent years.

Often looks grim in August / September...

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info. Useful/encouraging stuff.
Anyone know much about the Norwegian ski-glaciers?
I think there are three, and tend to stay open until the snow runs out which is usually July/August time but sometimes they can last through to the autumn.
Wondering which is easiest to reach from the UK...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

- Stay open 365 days per year (e.g. Zermatt, Saas Fee, possibly Hintertux, any others?)
- Stay open until the sufficiently deep snow runs out usually August time (I think the Norwegian ones do this)
- Close in the spring then open for a couple of months in the middle of summer from late June (Les Deux Alpes I think, and presumably others)

Saas Fee closes for 4-8 weeks per year May and June normally, Zermatt from memory has set closing days too both have designated lift opening and closing times in summer and Hintertux is the last 365 operator, with all day opening.

Norwegian glaciers are good but difficult to reach and expensive for accommodation and food and drink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Neil Neige, Tux looks ok at the moment. I would not go up there much later though. I've been in August a couple of times and came away wondering why I had bothered. Of course you can be lucky and it has dumped recently, but generally there are better things to do in the mountains in August, September and October!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I get the impression that summer skiing is usually better in June and July - solely based on watching webcams/piste opening in LDA, mind.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dobby, That's definitely my experience. Also its generally a one day thing unless you are doing a course of instruction when it doesn't matter if you do the same pitch a dozen times in a morning. That said you do get the odd fab day after heavy thunderstorms that are snow above 3000m, 4 days before Le Tour arrived in Tignes in 2007 springs to mind/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fattes13 wrote:
Quote:

- Close in the spring then open for a couple of months in the middle of summer from late June (Les Deux Alpes I think, and presumably others)

Saas Fee closes for 4-8 weeks per year May and June normally, Zermatt from memory has set closing days too both have designated lift opening and closing times in summer and Hintertux is the last 365 operator, with all day opening.

Norwegian glaciers are good but difficult to reach and expensive for accommodation and food and drink

No. Zermatt is 365. It might close for bad weather but there is no planned closed days. As others have said the early summer is better than the late summer. The lift up the Furgg glacier closed a coulee of days ago and so until new snow starts arriving it is just the high glacier on Klein Matterhorn that is open. I enjoy a good morning up there but you would get bored after a couple of days unless you were training.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LDA looking good ATM
snow report
Courchevel is opening the Saleve tomorrow I believe for a one day special.
latest report
Neil Neige wrote:
Anyone know much about the Norwegian ski-glaciers?
I think there are three, and tend to stay open until the snow runs out which is usually July/August time but sometimes they can last through to the autumn.
Wondering which is easiest to reach from the UK...

Yes I do, but I can't really remember. I just drove there and then went from one to the other. There were several and they were all open in the late summer. Easy to get to, but not at all a big deal. More like the North American attitude - just drive there, go for a ride, go away again. I didn't feel inclined to ride any of them two days in a row.

Google should help you locate what's what and what's open. Have fun with the English peso out there though.... maybe Milton Keynes is a more appropriate option for these dark days.
ski holidays
Been some rain in the Eastern Alps the past few days.

Rumors the Kaunertal glacier in Austria is in poor condition and may close early for the Summer season.
ski holidays
Just had an e mail from Tignes - they are having to delay the opening of some of the MTB trails as there is still too much snow!
snow conditions
Crans-Montana Glacier slopes open today. Ticket CHF35.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy