Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bucket Airlines hidden charges

Poster: A snowHead
something I believe should be enforced at European Level

Holland has already forced EasyJet & RyanAir to make clear

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-06-18/airlines-face-crackdown-on-hidden-fees/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had no problems with easyjet charges. Extra cost to take a checked bag, or to choose a seat? Perfectly reasonable, in my view, especially if it keeps the price down for those of us who travel light and can bear to be parted from our friends and family for an hour or two. I'm flying to Geneva next week - no booked seat, no checked baggage. I would resent having to subsidise others by having a flat fare for everyone, including those hauling the kitchen sink around.

I'd charge per kilo for passenger and baggage, personally, but that's probably a step too far for many people.

I've very little experience of Ryanair but they certainly play fast and loose with the rules about refunds - a more important target, I think, than an additional charge to book a specific seat.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, +1
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My issue with this is it penalises parents who have young children. I don't care where we sit within reason but I cant have my 6yr old seated of on her own.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

it penalises parents who have young children. I don't care where we sit within reason but I cant have my 6yr old seated of on her own.

my daughter never books seats but they have never had a child having to sit on their own.

More "penalising" for families with little kids, in my view, is their having to pay the same fare as a 20 stone hulk.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, unfortunately it has happened. After observing how the seats go on BA flights where people choose there seats, I personally am a in favour of letting the airline seat people as they are much more efficient at keeping groups together and getting a better layout as they are looking at the big picture.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ wrote:
My issue with this is it penalises parents who have young children. ......

Bringing up children is expensive. BTDT. It's the way it inevitably is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, you shouldnt have your 6yr old on her own irrespective of whether you pre book seats or not. CAA rules are that she has to be within one aisle or row if she's not next to you. I.e. Seat in front, behind or across the aisle. The crew should reseat other passengers to achieve this as its a safety issue.

BA also charge for seat allocation unless you have a reasonable level of frequent flier status. I think it maxes out at about £85 per seat!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave, is that new for BA ? I haven't been charged it before with them?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are NO HIDDEN charges. If people can't be bothered to read all the T & C's and pay 'extra'. for something they thought was included, that's their own fault. Read the bloody rules before you book and shop around for the best deals. I've probably flown 50-60 times with so called 'budget' airlines in Europe, Asia and America and NEVER had a problem.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
I've had no problems with easyjet charges. Extra cost to take a checked bag, or to choose a seat? Perfectly reasonable, in my view, especially if it keeps the price down for those of us who travel light and can bear to be parted from our friends and family for an hour or two. I'm flying to Geneva next week - no booked seat, no checked baggage. I would resent having to subsidise others by having a flat fare for everyone, including those hauling the kitchen sink around.

+1 I always travel light so don't check baggage but I do book a front row seat and am happy to pay for it and the associated speedy boarding as the charge puts most people off - no point having speedy boarding if half the plane also has it!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But if you have a guaranteed front row seat, what's the extra value of speedy boarding?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
But if you have a guaranteed front row seat, what's the extra value of speedy boarding?

You get to board the bus (which takes everyone to the aircraft) first... Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But if you can't be sure of getting off the bus first you don't get to the passport check queue any faster than somebody many rows back who didn't pay to choose a seat. I paid for a front row seat on a trip this year and felt it wasn't worth it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't fly on routes where you get bussed to the plane or the terminal - that would be annoying.
snow report
@NickyJ, BA have been charging for years for advance seat selection unless you're a silver or gold cardholder, or book an eye wateringly expensive fully flexible ticket.

They do let you choose for free when online checkin opens 24hrs before, by which point most of the good seats have usually been snaffled.

@pam w, you can't separate speedy boarding and front row seat, all the front seats get you speedy boarding. The advantage is that there's always space in the lockers for your bag if you're first on board.
snow conditions
Quote:

all the front seats get you speedy boarding

which is so illogical - people in the front rows all standing round faffing, stopping everybody else getting past.

They used to board some planes from the back - so much more sensible. Didn't stop some people trying to jump their turn though.
ski holidays
@snowdave, ah I see what you mean. When I have flown with them I have checked in 24hrs in advance and always had loads of choice do maybe just been lucky
ski holidays
@snowdave, I was going to explain the benefits of speedy boarding and then thought, no, again it works best if most people don't do it!
ski holidays
@miranda, that cuts out many main airports the, e.g. Geneva, Frankfurt, Heathrow, Gatwick, etc....
ski holidays
Sure, I know I'm going to pay £100 each way on Easy Jet to anywhere useful at any civilised time, but their charging structure makes it impossible for me to work out if that's cheaper than Ryanair or not, without filling in all their booking stuff.

That's the CAA trying to make pricing more comparable. That's *not* stopping them from charging what they like for whatever they like, it's trying to ensure that a competitive market exists and works. We have had the same problems with energy suppliers and mobile phone operators and even vacuum cleaner manufacturers trying to avoid a fair market. Sometimes the EU fixes it, sometimes national governments.

Personally, I'm happy that they charge for what you use. I'd go further, and charge people who weigh two or three times what I weigh two or three times what I pay, or at least adjust our baggage allowances accordingly. But that is not what this is about.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@miranda, that cuts out many main airports the, e.g. Geneva, Frankfurt, Heathrow, Gatwick, etc....

Eh? Geneva?! I must have been very, strangely, weirdly lucky for the past decade +. But totally agree that bussing negates the value of front row (unless you are very tall). It's no problem though, because Easyjet pricing means you don't have to pay for it if you don't want it - I think it's a great system.
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
@snowdave, is that new for BA ? I haven't been charged it before with them?

They have a new fare structure.
basic with a cabin bag, no hold bag and no pre-booking of seats without a fee. This is irrespective of your frequent flyer status.

then normal economy, where you can reserve a seat at booking if you have status. (thats me0

Business class, normal rules apply... (NOT ME)
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
something I believe should be enforced at European Level

Holland has already forced EasyJet & RyanAir to make clear

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-06-18/airlines-face-crackdown-on-hidden-fees/

everyone knows how a budget airline organises the fare in general.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 19-06-16 8:11; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@miranda, it's not so frequent so far at GVA but as airports increase their flight volumes without being able to add air jetties, it happens. I was bussed to my out and inbound Easyjet flights to the UK a fortnight ago.
snow report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
There are NO HIDDEN charges. If people can't be bothered to read all the T & C's and pay 'extra'. for something they thought was included, that's their own fault. Read the bloody rules before you book and shop around for the best deals. I've probably flown 50-60 times with so called 'budget' airlines in Europe, Asia and America and NEVER had a problem.

First thing, lucky old you if you've the time to read all the T&Cs. Some of us have busy lives.

Second thing, the hidden charge obfuscate price comparison. My rule of thumb is that I'm going to pay double the headline price on EasyJet.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

Yes that's what I thought
snow report
@dogwatch, I rarely pay anything other than the headline price on easyjet. Their web booking site is a model of speed and transparency, making it simple to compare costs across 3weeks. Sure, you can't compare with other airlines but with Skyscanner making it easy to compare headline prices we really have little cause for complaint. Travelling by air today is probably cheaper and easier than it's ever been. Trains have a lot of catching up to do.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:

First thing, lucky old you if you've the time to read all the T&Cs. Some of us have busy lives.

If anyone is too lazy to read T & C's on anything despite their 'busy lives'. only themselves to blame if the unexpected happens.
snow report
The charges on easyJet are crystal clear and very quickly navigated. Absolutely no need to bury yourself in small print.
snow report
+1 to everything @pam w has said above (including even the per kilo charging, but I also realise that would no doubt have me branded as size'ist).

We never pay more than the base fare, never check a bag, never pre-book a seat, frequently travel with a minor and have never been seated apart, rarely pay more than £100 despite regularly travelling to some (imo) "useful" places at perfectly reasonable times.

There's a lot of 'never's in the above, so I had now better go frantically touch some wood.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@miranda, it's not so frequent so far at GVA but as airports increase their flight volumes without being able to add air jetties, it happens. I was bussed to my out and inbound Easyjet flights to the UK a fortnight ago.

It's not the end of the world of course, but that's a pain. No buses for me on the 4 London-Geneva flights I've taken so far this year so thanks for the warning - won't be an unpleasant surprise if it does start happening.

midgetbiker wrote:
+1 to everything @pam w has said above (including even the per kilo charging, but I also realise that would no doubt have me branded as size'ist).

Well, no surprise that the midget family are in favour of price per kilo charging! Laughing

My husband's flights already cost more than mine as I can fit a change of clothes/pair of shoes in hand luggage much more easily than him so I don't need hold luggage, plus I choose to sit at the front of the plane most of the time but it's more of a necessity for him to book the more expensive front/exit row seats or at the very least to book an aisle seat.
ski holidays
I imagine those who don't check a bag are travelling to their own apartments where they have a cache of clothes. I certainly can't fit ski and apres ski clothing for a week into hand baggage, nor do I want to turn my apartment into a laundry when I get there. There is also the matter of skis to transport.
snow report
@dogwatch, but you can buy however much baggage space you need. Are you suggesting everyone should pay for baggage whether they need it or not? Hand baggage only is difficult for skiing but perfectly possible travelling to warm holidays. I did a 6 week work trip round the south Pacific with just hand baggage.
snow report
Talking about the desire to carry as much as possible in hand luggage my friend (yes I have one) bought a motor bike engine home from the USA two weeks ago. It was a 175cc Bantam engine and he could not work out how to get it into his suitcase, but it fitted into his ruck sack and took it on the plane. US secrurity insisted that he took it out of the bag for inspection searched it closely then decided that it did not appear on any lists of banned items so let him through. I don't think I would like to be underneath it if it fell out of the overhead locker.
snow report
pam w wrote:
@dogwatch, but you can buy however much baggage space you need. Are you suggesting everyone should pay for baggage whether they need it or not?

No. It is however pretty obvious that the price of hold baggage exceeds the cost of providing it. The business model is minimising the headline price and extracting the maximum in "extras" which the booking system is designed to encourage.
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
I imagine those who don't check a bag are travelling to their own apartments where they have a cache of clothes.

When I'm flying London-Geneva, yes, I have clothes in both locations which is why I'm flying with hand luggage but I could do a week non-ski holiday with what you can get in a 56 x 45 x 25 Easyjet hand luggage bag (I don't mean a beach holiday where you can just wear thin t-shirt + shorts + flip flops but say a city stay or a non-guaranteed hot weather break where you want a range of clothes) but I really do think that would be difficult for my husband - when we share a bag, it's evident how much more room a pair of his shoes/jeans/shirt/jumper take up in comparison to mine (I'm not just smaller than him - I also tend to wear tighter-fitting and lighter fabric clothing).
snow report
Quote:

Well, no surprise that the midget family are in favour of price per kilo charging!

You're not the first person to assume I'ld be less than my 180cm due to the username, in reality it comes from the fact I was competing in an MG race series when I first used it.

Actually the only time I can recall being called small was when i turned up to go into the secure area of a bank for work and forgot my ID. The manager called my office for a description and was told I was short, she wasn't happy that I didn't match her expectation and called again for clarification. Once she realised that our office manager had described me as such only because I was the smallest bloke in our office (the other three being 6'5", 6'5" & 6'7") she eventually let me in (on the basis I was, as described, 'thinning on top').

Quote:

I could do a week non-ski holiday with what you can get in a 56 x 45 x 25 Easyjet hand luggage bag (I don't mean a beach holiday where you can just wear thin t-shirt + shorts + flip flops but say a city stay or a non-guaranteed hot weather break where you want a range of clothes) but I really do think that would be difficult for my husband

A weeks work trip is no problem with hand baggage, and that means taking a laptop, chargers and other bits of work clutter.

PS - the 6'7" from the office was my business partner, and he raced Midgets too, seeing him 'install' himself in a fully race caged car was hilarious.
ski holidays
Just a heads up that flybe have reduced their hand luggage sizing from spring this year.

http://www.edreams.com/blog/flybe-baggage-allowance/

and people got caught out when they didn't tell anyone!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-36066191
snow report
@midgetbiker, I didn't really think you were small.

Sure, a weeks' work trip if you're wearing a uniform (unless you need to take a range of suits for some reason I guess) - I don't think a week's holiday with a range of clothes would be so easy (still includes laptop and chargers for most these days doesn't it?) but maybe so - can't think of a time we've tried as we usually drive for Euro city breaks and there's no need to avoid hold baggage on transatlantic flights.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy