Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any steepish skiing in Austria other than St Anton?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm casting around for ideas for next season's ski trip. We are a large group of experienced skiers ranging in ability from confident red run skiers through to strong off piste types. Wide age range, mid 20's to mid 50's. In recent years we've done St Anton twice, Zermatt twice, Monte Rosa twice, Verbier, Ischgl and Arabba.

We are looking for a resort for a week to 10 day trip next season. We need somewhere with enough blue/red runs to keep the piste bashers happy, but with stuff for the stronger skiers as well, eg proper blacks/itineries/lift accessed off piste.

The couple who do the organising don't like French skiing. Switzerland is becoming too expensive. We''ve been to Italy three out of the last four years, so that leaves Austria (or N America).

The obvious choice is St Anton but we've all skiied there at least twice and fancy somewhere different.

Lack of night life is not an issue. We normally have a few drinks immediately after skiing, then back to the hotel for the night.

We'll be going for a week to 10 days, probably late Jan/ first week Feb.

Can anyone suggest somewhere that fits the bill in Austria? Reading resort descriptions most places come across as more suitable for intermediate skiers. Perhaps somewhere that isn't on the normal tour operator radar?

Or should we just bite the bullet and head for N America? Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kitzbuhel from places I've been and Ischgl from what I've heard....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
St Anton might still be a good bet, especially with the new links going in now.
You don't say if you went round to Lech/Warth? Good off piste between those two, and also at Stuben.
The pistes at Lech/Zurs/Warth are usually so much better than St Anton itself and of course, if you stay in Lech you can't beat that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The guided skiing and piste skiing around Lech/Zurs is very good, with the option of St. Anton right around the corner. Staying at Lech, instead of St. Anton, is very different. It will be like a whole different trip.

You said Switzerland is out because of cost, but you might find decent cost options with a combined trip to Andermatt and Engelberg. Between the two resorts there's plenty of varied skiing for everyone. At Andermatt there is plenty of additional piste skiing on the ski train through the Oberalp pass at Disentis/Sedrun.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Schladming might fit the bill.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fieberbrunn might be worth a look. Plenty of interesting and challenging areas, and access to the Ski Circus for the piste-bashers who have 270 km of pistes linking Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Leogang and Fieberbrunn.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Spud9, there's good lift served off piste in loads of places. Other than those mentioned already I would take a look at Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis. Also take a look at the resorts in the Montafon ( clarky999 can probaby give you good tips there).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for ressponding,

Lech/Warth is a possibility. We've all skied a bit there coming over from St Anton, that was before the link to Warth opened. I'll suggest it to the group.

Re. Andermatt. Went there 15 years ago for long weekend and loved it, but not sure that it would sit too well with the piste bashers. Went back 3 years ago and couldn't believe the transformation to the town. Massive development.All the sticky floored squady bars had disappeared. Unfortunately the investment in the town is not matched by money spent on the slopes. In fact there seems to be less piste skiing since an isolated area with a couple of chairs (Winteregg?) had closed down. I've not been to Engleberg but some of the party wentt there last year, so I don't think they would want to go back so soon.

I'll have a look at all the other places, Kitzbuhel, Schladming, Fieberbrunn Serfaus, Montafon.

Keep the ideas coming!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Spud9, Solden
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+ 1 for Lech
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What about Mayrhofen and the Zillertal valley? Steepest groomed piste in Austria
http://youtube.com/v/KEBnprPjzEQ
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Val d'Anniviers worth a look as well IMHO, if you want to go somewhere a bit more off the beaten track.

loads and info and chalets inc links to guides etc

http://www.skizinal.com/

Would have to travel a bit to ski St Luc for a few days but it's a fantastic area, had some great snow there and skinned up 20 mins to ski fresh tracks weeks after the last storm!

http://www.rma.ch/cartepistes/grimentz.php
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for Lech or Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis. If you're looking at SFL then go for accommodation in Serfaus for quicker access to the higher/steeper stuff.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl, Fieberbrunn and Montafon are definitely worth looking into.

I answered some of Fall Line Skiing's questions about Montafon here: http://www.fall-line.co.uk/montafon-guide/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why don't you mount a mutiny and take the rest of the group to the 3 Valleys in France, you won't regret it for whatever skiing you are looking for.
latest report
Quote:

Why don't you mount a mutiny and take the rest of the group to the 3 Valleys in France, you won't regret it for whatever skiing you are looking for.

What sedition is this? We'd all be keel hauled Confused

Actually most of the group will have other trips planned in addition to this one, so plenty of opportunity for French skiing.
ski holidays
If you are not too bothered about apres ski, you could stay in Landeck and go on a ski Safari to different places each day.
Hotel Enzian
Apart from Stanton and the Alberg region, down the other valley to Ischgl + there are some other spots taht you would never consider.

My personal favourite is Kitzbuhel but its a long time since I've been.

I got quite a surprise when I skied in Soll this year, there is some really tuff parts as well as the easy stuff that its renowned for.
But Austria is pretty serious about its Apres ski.

Perhaps you should ski the Dolomites, everyone should anyway.
Even better if you want to go to bed early.
ski holidays
Austria is gash for steeps.

Chamonix.
Val d'Isere.
Jackson Hole.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy