Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France/Swiss Early Season?

Poster: A snowHead
This one, only the pros can answer... Where could I go (if anywhere) if I could only take my kids to ski (7yo) this year between late October/ early November? We'll be around Geneva, but could go somewhere else not too far for a better opportunity.

My current available days are between 11/9 and 11/13, but would change that for a better deal.

Is there any hope for my case?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's not that far on the train to Innsbruck/Stubaier Glacier...

I guess Zermatt and Saas Fe would be closer though!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's true, clarky999 Smile Thank you for your reply!

My only issue is such little time this year...
Considering Switzerland and the months of October and November, what week would be the best bet in your opinion?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tignes isn't too far.

Diablerets?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We often go to Zermatt in October - good ski area and you may even get fresh snow! Easy from Geneva.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From Geneva, Tignes glacier would be accessible enough (2.5 hrs drive on a good run from Geneva airport) and entertaining enough for a few days' skiing.

Cheap digs available too. (PM me if any interest in my small apartment 5 mins' walk from the funicular that goes up to the glacier.)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glacier skiing is your only option.
Zermatt...easy to get there by train from Geneva (even if it takes 3.5hrs) and a great experience for the kids. Views to astound you when you're there. Iconic resort. We go in late Nov. I assume your dates are 9-13th November. At that time there should be a few extra slopes and the Furggsattel chair opening up on the glacier. Make sure you book accommodation near the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise lift to avoid a trek/bus ride to the lift and slopes. The place will be dead quiet then,many hotels and restaurants are closed but there's enough to chose from. We've stayed at the Hotel Bristol a few times which is comfy and convenient.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably the later the better. All suggestions above sensible...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only zermatt
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AnnaQ, Saas Fee, has slightly more interesting glacial terrain than Zermatt! IMHO but other than that half a dozen of one and the other.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zermatt is certainly not the only option. Best bet in my view is Tignes with 3 days chalet board, ski pass, transfer from Geneva and free hire of gear from £129. Unbeatable value - longer durations available too. http://skiandboardcamp.com/home/

I've used the Mountainsun chalet hotel quite often and it's great value. Minibus to and from the funicular. But they do book up so don't delay.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Zermatt is certainly not the only option. Best bet in my view is Tignes with 3 days chalet board, ski pass, transfer from Geneva and free hire of gear from £129. Unbeatable value - longer durations available too. http://skiandboardcamp.com/home/

I've used the Mountainsun chalet hotel quite often and it's great value. Minibus to and from the funicular. But they do book up so don't delay.

this looks very good indeed.

What sort of max vertical are we looking at on the Tignes Glacier, and roughly how many km's of piste?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mikeycharlton, prob best not to imagine it in terms of the amount of mileage you'd cover. Early season glacier skiing is a bit different from main season resort skiing. You'll repeat the same runs many times, and whilst this is excellent for working on technique, it's not very varied. You will get to watch some seriously good skiers training there. Most of the people in Tignes pre-season are training for something, and it's quite inspiring to watch them!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:

Well Tignes might have snow but the ghastly part is that you have to ski in France Sad Sad Sad
snow report
@Maireadoconnor, Yes I realise that the area is pretty small, which would mean repeating the same runs over and over again.

Would it be suitable for a beginner (are there any green/blues up there, and would there be lessons on offer in October)? My 10 year daughter has never been skiing, so i'm wondering whether this would be a good introduction to skiing for her?

I realise it would be nowhere near as good as during the winter, however it would cost a fraction of what it does during Christmas/Feb half term/Easter holidays, which is why it appeals to me.
ski holidays
@mikeycharlton, I would say no then, unfortunately. Not to Tignes, anyway. Not for beginners. There's no green runs, certainly. You're also relying on T-bar lifts. The biggest difference I found (I was there last year with @pam w on a course) is that it's physically demanding simply getting from one place to another. You have to do a fair amount of poling and dragging yourself up small slopes. It's very different from a typical ski trip. It's fine as a 'training trip' but not as a 'holiday'.

For a beginner, you're far better off choosing a tiny resort during Christmas/Feb half term/Easter holidays. Beginners don't need a lot of terrain, but the experience is far better for them if it's the right sort of terrain. I'm no expert on where, but if you start a new thread to ask for suggestions I'm sure you'll get some.
latest report
@Maireadoconnor, cheers. i'll knock the idea on the head then.

I'd be fine figuring out somewhere else to go during Christmas/feb half term/Easter, the only thing really preventing me from doing it would be the cost.
snow conditions
@mikeycharlton, I agree with @Maireadoconnor, it's not a good idea for beginners, for the reasons she states.

As for cost, the best alternative might be a self-drive, self-catering, trip at Christmas. Though if you can go pre-Christmas holidays there are some good options available in Tignes, with some excellent ski schools.

If you go at Christmas there's certainly no need to go to a big name resort like Tignes, but many resorts won't open before the Christmas holidays and snow cover that early can be a problem. You could wait till late before booking accommodation.
ski holidays
@mikeycharlton, I'll partially disagree, it's as good for beginners as, say, Cairngorm (was in the '70s) and I learned there quite happily. From recollection, the blues off the drag lifts are pretty gentle.

So if your motivation is to get your girl skiing for 2-3 days and you're happy skiing a couple of hours a day with her on effectively one slope, it's probably more entertaining than a fridge.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
it's probably more entertaining than a fridge.

This is true!
ski holidays
Laughing though it can also be much more gnarly than a fridge, when it's windy enough to close most of the lifts, the snow conditions are horrible and you can't see where you're going.

For me, one of the main disincentives to taking a beginner would be the long lift queues, particularly when winds have closed some lifts. Which happens frequently at that altitude. The queues are full of expert but often discourteous kid racers (the Italians are the worst). The scrum to get on the funicular in the morning can often require some sharp elbows, too.

For a complete beginner, unless she's a pretty rough tough kid, I'd go to a fridge.
snow report
For complete beginners in Tignes there is a Britonlift next to the Champagny t-bar. I have never seen a queue for it but the run is a similar length to that in a fridge.
snow conditions
@pam w, when I was there late November there was quite some queuing early doors to get up the funicular but then almost none at all on the blue drags (and the pistes were almost empty. All the racers mostly were up on the reds. The blues too flat to do any serious training.
ski holidays
@under a new name, I must have just been unlucky. Some really bad queues, 20 minutes or more, and routinely quite a lot of waiting, in 3 or 4 Oct/Nov visits. And the nature of the queues would be off putting to a beginner, too. In our French area, in normal times, skiers are polite and non-bargy and considerate of small kids. Lifties help a lot, getting them started, running up the track with them, etc.

It's no quarter given in Tignes during training weeks.

The pistes we were using (non training, obviously, no gates) were fine. It was just the lift queues which were busy.
snow report
@pam w, maybe I was there at a later time of year and the kids weren't there?
ski holidays
nixmap wrote:
pam w wrote:

Well Tignes might have snow but the ghastly part is that you have to ski in France Sad Sad Sad

skiing wise there is nothing better than FR (options for piste, off-piste, variety, milage, skiin/out, vertical, infrastructure, piste preparatio). Social elements - I found FR to be more polite than in german speaking parts of Alps. Food - people have different preferences, but FR imo is only bettered by IT. Price/budget - lots on offer, but even Espace Killy full pass as provided by a hotel I used to stay was 165 eur for a week. Compare that to CH were a week in 4V was 50% more for a much less interesting ski area and infra

skiing in FR is fun and best in the Alps imo!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy