Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge & Wax over the Edge!

Poster: A snowHead
Cool will do (think theres 7 sets in all although 2 look incomplete)

Don't worry about postage, I'm sure ill need a favour at some point #Snomance ;-p
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wtf..? Been out of country and totally missed this no email notification despite being on list and regular customer - not that that is the most important. Genuinely gutted - the staff were always awesome and great products and ski service- was really local too. Have just sold house so would loved to have joined ski business but Brexit morons have killed any chance of that being successful - fear for uk based ski business they must all be seriously in danger..... And next season's skiing at least 20% more expensive. Thanks, Boris.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PaulC1984 wrote:
Cool will do (think theres 7 sets in all although 2 look incomplete)

Don't worry about postage, I'm sure ill need a favour at some point #Snomance ;-p

Is that like a bromance but rolling around in the snow?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GlasgowCyclops, that's the one wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PaulC1984 wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, that's the one wink

you mean like Ralph Fiennes and Olly Reed in Woman in Love?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GlasgowCyclops,
Alan Bates shirley ???
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
More like Brokeback Mountain Sports perhaps?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
musher wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops,
Alan Bates shirley ???

yes off course. But stop calling me Shirley Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 16-10-17 18:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It looks like some of the DPS skis are going straight on eBay, as I'm fairly sure all of these were E&W stock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DPS-Lotus-foundation-124-SKIS-/152214635521?hash=item2370b30401:g:lrEAAOSwU-pXut0J

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DPS-Lotus-P3-Spoon-Skis-/152214624780?hash=item2370b2da0c:g:RPQAAOSwIgNXutNb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DPS-Zelda-Foundation-106-skis-2017-model-purple-black-158cm-wrapped-NEW-/331946576045?hash=item4d498ec8ad:g:NJwAAOSw65FXuaFH
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Lotus 120 Pures were listed for months and months by E &W at c £650; the foundations are widely available at around £650ish and 158 is a long shot size ( I bought the other pair for Mrs) so I think these will take some time to clear at these prices, but he may yet suck out a lower bid I guess....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hopefully being a DPS dealer isn't the kiss of death. Initially there was only 47 Degrees who closed a couple of years ago, then E&W have now closed, that just leaves Ellis Brigham and Freezepro in the UK.

I agree on the pricing, especially as summer DPS dreamtime offer has only just closed.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 23-08-16 12:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
E&W owed DPS over £125k Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:

Thats about 150 pairs at RRP average of £800. But at trade prices and pre VAT that must be north of 200 pairs - and £650/700 a pair (VAT inc) is probably a better blended average of Pure/Hybrd/Foundation.

I think there were 10 to a dozen in the auction?

Makes you wonder...
ski holidays
Do DPS offer anything else other than skis? Seems a lot of money to owe to one niche supplier. A debt built up over many years maybe?
snow conditions
@yuppie, aside from a few items of branded clothing they only produce skis. As far as I am aware E&W were only selling DPS for 2-3 years.
latest report
They were always pretty ambitious at Edge & Wax: talked a big game.
That's all great of course unless you get it wrong as, with higher stakes, people get hurt more. I understand DPS weren't the only ones hit on that sort of scale.
latest report
I'm confused why DPS didn't want their skis back, rather than them go to the auction - did they think they'd get more back that way, or could they just not get the actual skis back?
latest report
@fixx, retention of title clauses are notoriously difficult to uphold. It maybe that the ski's in question had been actually paid for and it was other skis and equipment that that the 125k is owed for. Someone wiser will com along and explain I'm sure.
latest report
DPS probably had credit insurance on E&W - so not their problem.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:

Er, Jon, stop telling porkie pies please. Missing a decimal point there! Not proud, but also not willing to tolerate lies about us, especially when I made sure you got your stock back!!! Hope you have a good season

ScottyDog
snow report
spyderjon wrote:

Er, Jon, stop telling porkie pies please. Missing a decimal point there! Not proud, but also not willing to tolerate lies about us, especially when I made sure you got your stock back!!! Hope you have a good season

ScottyDog
snow report
@scottydog, you might want to update your signature.
snow conditions
scottydog wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

ScottyDog

Well I don't take too kindly to being called a liar. If I am lying then you'd better have a word with your Administrators as according to page 1 of the creditors list they issued you owed DPS £125,297.13, as can be seen below (fourth from the bottom):

With regard to you making sure I got my stock back. Well I'm not too sure about your involvement in that. You emailed me a list of my unsold stock you had on the 24th May saying that you were going to return it but you never did. You then went bust at the end of May. I received my stock back in mid July after emailing all of my retention of title info to Chris Hopper at Begbies Traynor on the 29th June (when, according to your Facebook page you were on holiday in the US!). Chris then phoned me a couple of days later to say my claim was valid & he'd post the items back.
latest report
scottydog wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

ScottyDog

@scottydog in the light of spyderjon's above posting of the information on the creditors list it would seem you owe him an apology.....
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, + 1
ski holidays
Perhaps the inability to distinguish between £12.5K and £125K is what gave @scottydog issues in his business. Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I still don't understand how a company can spend £125,000 on a niche ski brand. If the trade cost of a ski was £500 then that's 250 sets of DPS skis never paid for by the company over 3 years. Why would DPS continue to provide skis to Edge and Wax if they never paid their bills for the previous 2 years? Are there even 250 pairs of DPS skis in the UK?

Surely its a typo?
ski holidays
@yuppie, I've no insight into the veracity of it but there are pretty simple ways to rack up numbers like that if you play the game in a particular way.
For example (and note this is purely hypothetical) if E&W shifted maybe 30 or 40 pairs one season, establishing themselves to have a decent retail capability and on the back of that, negotiated to become the UK distributor or main agent for DPS, they could easily justify bringing in 250 pairs to service the UK as a whole.
DPS have expanded rapidly over the past few years - clearly that's been their intention - so someone offering to help grow their market in the UK would be welcomed and the fact they'd shifted a few doz the prev year and paid for them would likely have them pegged as trustworthy. How is DPS to know the previous year's skis had been paid with next year's heavily discounted pre-orders?

As I say... this is not a suggestion that this is what happened, it is purely a hypothetical example of how relatively simply silly numbers can be racked up.
snow report
@sj1608, Laughing
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, +1
ski holidays
Thanks for the reply Admin. I did not know that Edge and Wax were the importer, that certainly would increase costs.
snow conditions
@yuppie, I don't know if they were the importer.

Like I said, twice: that was a hypothetical example ie. I made it up to show how one might very easily create a debt that large with a supplier like DPS.
ski holidays
Cheers Admin
snow report
@yuppie, I'd be surprised if it's a typo. The Administrators of E&W were appointed on the 1st June. That document is page 1 of 5 pages and each page is signed/dated 27.7.16 and I'd therefore assumed checked. The total also tallies with other documents issued to the creditors by the Administrator. The Administrators had therefore been working on the account for nearly two months so I think it'd be unlikely that they'd not spot an error of that magnitude. BTW, DPS weren't the biggest creditor on the list.
snow conditions
Hmm brave man calling out the Tuning Tsunami on facts and figures. The Notts Nightmare drops him easily to the mat.
snow report
Hello. Someone contacted me yesterday and said this thread was a useful place to update my knowledge of ski sales and distribution in 2016, and gain top-quality business advice in the process. I was never involved in it but back in the day (mid-1980s to mid-1990s) I used to attend lots of ski trade shows etc. as a technical editor on a ski magazine. There was lots of gossip about the ski business back then, and clearly there's lots today (except that sadly the volume of trade has sunk to a fraction of what it was in the 1970s, when I worked in a ski shop).

Now, let's be clear about this £1.25m-worth of DPS skis which fell off the back of the lorry that was seen leaving a bankruptcy auction earlier this year. There's nothing unusual about this at all. My one-time boss of a ski shop in London famously bought back a shedload of ski bindings at a bankruptcy auction of his own making, for £1 per pair (if my defective memory serves me correctly) ! He also did a very neat deal with an Italian ski factory that concluded with our shop almost collapsing under the weight of an enormous quantity of skis (a yellow model and a green model) that no one had heard of ... but were suddenly selling like hot cakes!

My advice, for what it's worth, is to rent skis. Now there's an original thought! And, on that theme, note the observations and advice of Rob Freeman in this article on page 14 of the current issue of 'Skier & Snowboarder' [online link below]. The piece is called 'Hire Anxiety' (very witty) and makes some useful points about how to get the best from a ski hire shop. In short, don't take any crap from the person at the counter !

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?EID=fa6e4d55-dd62-4679-9ddf-c7ac5c8ca75e
snow report
Well that was a waste of time Happy
snow report
@Davina Goldballs, thought you were a journalist - where is your attention to detail? It's £125k (£0.125m) not £1.25m
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy