Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitedot Ranger, which length?

Poster: A snowHead
Quick question, and I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but no harm in asking people more in the know than myself.

So Whitedot Rangers, which length? 186 or 195?
I'm a fairly strong skier and I tried the 186s last year and fell in love snowHead but I've been offer a set of 195s at a ridiculous price. I'm just wondering if my slightly less than 12 stone, 5"9' frame would be able to load them enough.

Any suggestions?
Additionally and binding suggestions which are not silly money??

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are the 195s the Ranger Pro? If so it's a question of what you mean by good as you're not exactly heavyweight.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just the standard 108 underfoot ones from last year.

Standard wise, verbiers itineraries, or the Swiss wall in Avoriaz / Champery.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Pro is a fair bit stiffer than the 186cm, 110cm under foot as well, the CL version feels a bit softer (as do all the Cls really) due to the light weight.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Once you've gone big there is no turning back.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Unless you're a Pro level charger the 195 will be waaay too much ski.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 21-05-16 20:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yer that's what I thought. Not quite there just yet.
Anyway Thanks guys.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dzmarc, are you the guy in Spain I recently quoted for some Whitedots?

If not, then we have a few 15/16 R108's left in 186 that I can offer you a great price on. A good number guys of your size that also do a lot of skinning have gone for the 177 length.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, afraid not, still in rainy England. Although I'm all ears on any. I'm in Nottingham quite a bit so may pop in.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dzmarc, I'm only open by appointment during spring/summer so you'll to let me know when you're coming. The remaining Whitedot 15/16 skis are split between my place and WD's store but if you let me know what you're after I can check on availability etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:

^^^ that ^^^
I have R108 carbonlite ranger in 186 and it's plenty big enough for me (I'm quite hefty and don't hang around! snowHead). It's not rockered and has an almost flat tail so 186 is quite a big ski. I like quite stiff skis and really don't like noodles but never considered the Ranger remotely noodly, so plenty stiff enough too - in fact just right Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

^^^ that ^^^
I have R108 carbonlite ranger in 186 and it's plenty big enough for me (I'm quite hefty and don't hang around! snowHead). It's not rockered and has an almost flat tail so 186 is quite a big ski. I like quite stiff skis and really don't like noodles but never considered the Ranger remotely noodly, so plenty stiff enough too - in fact just right Happy

Definitely rockers to be honest, for sure not as much as a softer snow ski such as the director but still a definite rise in the tip.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the_doc wrote:
stuarth wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

^^^ that ^^^

Definitely rockers to be honest, for sure not as much as a softer snow ski such as the director but still a definite rise in the tip.

Not sure I really count that as rockered in the scheme of things - but yes guess you are right (well you should know! wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IIRC the 186 Ranger has 310mm of tip rocker when the camber is compressed - which is pretty significant.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone know the exact weight of the 195cm 110mm Ranger Pro CL model?

Bought a pair a couple of years ago off Jon at The Piste Office (great service, thanks) but can’t find the info on weight because they’re now discontinued.

Trying to sort out kit for Norway next month.

Cheers
snow conditions
Rosseaglesham wrote:
Anyone know the exact weight of the 195cm 110mm Ranger Pro CL model?

Bought a pair a couple of years ago off Jon at The Piste Office (great service, thanks) but can’t find the info on weight because they’re now discontinued.

Trying to sort out kit for Norway next month.

Cheers

1970g +/- a tad
snow report
Ha!

Thanks Jon - I should have just contacted you directly! My friend has offered me a loan of his setup which is about 4100g total.

With my kingpins it might be a big enough saving to consider. Don’t want to sacrifice the downhill though as I live how they ski - you were right all along!

Thanks
snow report
Quote:

If not, then we have a few 15/16 R108's left in 186 that I can offer you a great price on. A good number guys of your size that also do a lot of skinning have gone for the 177 length.

I'm the same size as @Dzmarc and totally agree that his debate should be 177 vs 186. I'm on the 186CL and while it never feels too big downhill, I've never wished they were bigger and sometimes question whether the kick turning benefits of the 177 would have outweighed any loss of float.
snow report
https://andypmountainguide.com/go-large-touring-on-wide-skis/?fbclid=IwAR0J97XLCV0RO6h_2RIX-nCuZuHS1NkwqfSN0Kn0ORwrb6kGMVatsxvp_68

This is an interesting read btw
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy