Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I admit it..... I don't like fresh snow

Poster: A snowHead
DB wrote:
Nothing to do with the skis, it's all about the fartbag wink

Somebody call?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
balernoStu wrote:
It does take commitment to avoid an early pivot and a more go-for-it approach is rewarded,

So true. Unfortunately, when I can't see my skis, I can't see anything else under the snow. So anything that's going to trip me up is hidden. I'm far too screwed up to "go for it" unless I'm right behind an instructor who knows the terrain and even then I'm fighting the feeling of impending, "whoops, waaaahh".
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maggi wrote:
[
So true. Unfortunately, when I can't see my skis, I can't see anything else under the snow. So anything that's going to trip me up is hidden. I'm far too screwed up to "go for it" unless I'm right behind an instructor who knows the terrain and even then I'm fighting the feeling of impending, "whoops, waaaahh".

When skiing piste that's covered up by a thick layer of soft snow, there's reasonable expectation what's under the snow are just more snow (and the piste itself, which is just compacted snow).

Off-piste, there's always the possibility what's under the snow could be ANYTHING. Though one hopes the ski will "ride over" most terrain variation and minor obstacles. If not, that's what releasable binding comes in. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stop the Brutal Grooming

http://youtube.com/v/X7tjT_qE4WQ
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maggi wrote:
balernoStu wrote:
It does take commitment to avoid an early pivot and a more go-for-it approach is rewarded,

Watch out for cliffs... and sleeping bears.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@abc, @maggi, you don't need a lot of snow to cover everything up...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
just enough so you can't see it...
Friend of mine broke his leg badly on the Albona (Arlberg) a couple of years ago for exactly that reason. Skied straight into a rock just below the surface.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steilhang, shame, accidents happen, but that sounds (!) like "dust on crust" to me and couldn't have been all that pleasant anyway.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi wrote:
balernoStu wrote:

Hmm, I hear that, but really it's not helping. Perhaps thinking about something else, or listening to music, would help. Look at the view: you should pretty much never be looking at your feet, or where you think they are.

In nearly 30 full seasons of powder I've only ever crashed into anything under the snow once... and that was at a resort. I hit a log at full speed with the nose of my board. I didn't know what it was at the time: it was just a fall... until I got to the bottom and my snowboard nose was flapping around. It's not a risk worth bothering about. In the back country it's easier - you can tell by the terrain and the snow cover if there's likely to be anything dodgy in there and either avoid it or ride that bit defensively.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Steilhang, shame, accidents happen, but that sounds (!) like "dust on crust" to me and couldn't have been all that pleasant anyway.

Your points are?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@abc, more or less what@philwig's saying. If you're off piste - either - it's deep enough that any hazards will usually be obvious - or - it's not deep enough to be great fun. All of this comes with experience of course.

And you do see folks in places that they clearly really would prefer not to be ... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can booger yerself up on any snow . . . Embarassed
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just to expand, if yu can see the underlying terrain, you kind of have to ignore the powder.

You also need to be super careful in not very deep powder in cut lines or where they've felled the trees below chairs, etc. as the result of getting a ski under a tree while continuing over it is unlikely to be comfortable.

However, my main point is that if it's good powder, you won't feel anything under the snow and shouldn't need to worry about it.

If it's really good and deep powder you shouldn't need to worry about anything...at all...not cliffs...not anything ... "Can't hurt yourself" snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, agreed - it's generally either deep enough to send it with impunity, or should be able to see/easily work out any hazards.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, I've experienced it myself often enough. Skiing down a pristine powder field when suddenly I hit something under the snow. Usually nothing happens. Sometimes you fall. Sometimes you break your leg in a career ending kind of way.
Definitely was not 'dust on crust'. I watched his GoPro video.
latest report
@Steilhang, sure, it happens, sure, you can be really unlucky when it does.

But not worth worrying about. If you know what I mean.
latest report
Some 15 months ago, having managed successfully (if not stylishly) to negotiate a rather steep off-piste slope in Les Arcs, I was poling (it was that flat) across a meadow, when I did a double-eject head plant, after striking some hidden hazard under the snow. My shoulder injury - a SLAP tear, apparently - is still not healed. It's a bit annoying, really.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, I did a similar injury putting a rather over loaded case into the overhead on a flight.

Took 24 months to resolve.

Hasn't put me off flying, nor over loading bags...
latest report
@under a new name, I wasn't worrying. Just sayin that not all that is white is soft...
@Hurtle, that sucks! Hope it hasn't put you off.
snow report
@under a new name, @Steilhang, no, I've not been put off. Toofy Grin
snow report
@Hurtle, new skis will do the trick wink
latest report
I know someone was asking a page or two back..... As the OP I can confirm I was talking about fresh snow ON the piste.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, I think your OP was unclear (you mentioned deep powder).

What do you mean by "fresh snow"?

A foot of clag is rarely fun no matter what it has fallen on...
ski holidays
@spyderjon, Laughing
ski holidays
@under a new name,
As ever, my OP slightly muddied the line between fresh snow and powder. Although you clearly do get powder on the piste as well as off it. They aren't the same, obviously. I'm generally thinking of 'fresh snow'. If it's light enough to float out of my way then that's great, but 99% of the fresh snow I meet isn't like that. It's heavy.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, your standard European clag then. Which is great for piste longevity...not necessarily such joy to ski.
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@under a new name,
As ever, my OP slightly muddied the line between fresh snow and powder. Although you clearly do get powder on the piste as well as off it. They aren't the same, obviously. I'm generally thinking of 'fresh snow'. If it's light enough to float out of my way then that's great, but 99% of the fresh snow I meet isn't like that. It's heavy.

I don't regard there being much difference between a dump of fresh snow on a piste and off it. For that brief period before it is bashed the two are synonomous.

Fresh snow can vary in heavy and lightness as the day progresses, as the altitude changes, as the weather changes. It's all part of the fun and the challenge IMO. I guess it is the difference between racing a car on a track or rally driving. Not that I've done either of those.

I've grown to enjoy piste skiing as I've got older but if it was all I did...
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@under a new name,

IIRC you are firm believer in renting skis. If so it is highly likely that you will be on ski which does not give you the most assistance in planing in heavy snot or slush because most rental shops hand out stuff which is targeted at ensuring one week a year on piste punters are reasonably able to use them for on piste turns. There is a saying in skiing that you can't buy a turn but in certain conditions with certain skis you definitely can (assuming you have solid technique and skills). Note - this isn't saying instead of lessons, IMV it's an as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:

Yep I've thought about this - if the only thing was piste skiing on manmade I probably wouldn't bother.

Piste skiing on natural I'd probably ski a lot less - maybe 1 or 2 weeks a year and would be less picky about destination because terrain really doesn't matter as much.

Fortunately I'm not in that position - maybe if manmade and ice were all there was then I might get into the joy of a really sharp race ski but I can't see it at present.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Layne wrote:

Yep I've thought about this - if the only thing was piste skiing on manmade I probably wouldn't bother.

Piste skiing on natural I'd probably ski a lot less - maybe 1 or 2 weeks a year and would be less picky about destination because terrain really doesn't matter as much.

Fortunately I'm not in that position - maybe if manmade and ice were all there was then I might get into the joy of a really sharp race ski but I can't see it at present.

Thankfully we don't have to limit ourselves but the point really I guess for the OP is that the pisted track is fun and great and all that but you really should break out and do whatever it takes to be able to ski "rally style". I can understand those with dodgy knees or other physical issues which limit their capabilities may have to in turn limit what they ski. But there is a lot of fun to be had with fresh snow, dossing about down the side of pistes, etc. And ultimately IMO it makes you a better skier. And that is always good right Very Happy Cool snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
Layne wrote:

There's so much crap that we have to put up with skiing (cold, wet, wind, ski boots, everyone covered up in heavy baggy clothes)... Without a shadow of a doubt, if powder and the freedom of offpiste wasn't available, I'd move to a beach somewhere. Where at least when the waves are crap it's warm and sunny, girls walk around in bikinis, you don't need to wear underwear beneath your board shorts, and there is absolutely no need for socks.
snow report
@clarky999, when my daughter and her OH went to Devon and Cornwall on their honeymoon they planned surfing if the waves were good, enjoying the beach if the waves were poor. They had two weeks of flat seas and pouring rain. Laughing I don't think they needed socks, though.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:

There's so much crap that we have to put up with skiing (cold, wet, wind, ski boots, everyone covered up in heavy baggy clothes)... Without a shadow of a doubt, if powder and the freedom of offpiste wasn't available...

I barely skied at all last season due to various illnesses and injuries, so it was really good to be able to do a bit of late season off-piste skiing when the lifts were closed... but the faff/kit/hassle factor is so much higher than with piste skiing (having to wear underwear and socks is the least of it!)... I can see why some just cba!
snow conditions
@miranda, like everything when you do something a lot you just get used to it.

Though this season I took two people out for their first couple of ski tours, and jeeeessssss the faff factor was through the roof !!!

And @clarky999, back here in the UK I live on the beach, and for what I do you certainly do not get the right conditions everyday.

And living in Costa del Geriatrica (Worthing) even if it is warm and sunny, I don't see many girls in bikinis Toofy Grin
latest report
I somehow think clarky999 was not referring to the bountiful bikini clad babes on beautiful British beaches when he expressed his beach ambition.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@miranda, like everything when you do something a lot you just get used to it.

Sure... doesn't stop it being a PITA v clicking in and skiing off without having to carry anything though!
ski holidays
@miranda, On the other hand, if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. The Darwin awards only come into play when piste-rs think it is that easy.
snow conditions
Indeed. Similarly, getting organised for sailing for the next ten days or so I am looking at a mountain of equipment. It's 13 degrees and a chilly wind with a lot of east in it. Nice as it will be to cross the channel with an easterly wind it means being equipped with layers, quite complicated layers including complete merino base, from top to toe, literally. Sitting in the cockpit needing a pee and wondering whether you can get down below, get out of some of the layers, avoid wetting the others and get back up again without being seasick. Such fun.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Some things are worth getting dressed and equipped for. And even being uncomfortable quite frequently and scared occasionally. And having to keep thinking straight when you just want to go to sleep.
latest report
I somehow think clarky999 was not referring to the bountiful bikini clad babes on beautiful British beaches when he expressed his beach ambition.

Laughing You're right, I wasn't Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy