Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Half Term 2017 resort options type query

Poster: A snowHead
Query for a friend... no, really !!

So I know someone who wants to go skiing with his 13yo daughter to France (wants to practice speaking the lingo a bit) in Feb Half Term 2017 but only for 3-4 days. Daughter is not a beginner but not a superstar either so looking for decent piste skiing - nothing gnarly or mega required. He is a fairly experienced 50ish skier.

I've had the conversation about half term being prime week, doing a 3-4 day trip very difficult at that time, etc. He says he did in Austria (Schladming) two years ago, blah blah. He's happy to DIY.

So summarising I think what we are after here is a smallish ski area that is ideally properly French and has some relatively inexpensive Hotels that may take 3-4 night bookings at half term 2017 - so clearly maybe off the beaten track, niche whatever. Also give it's a shorter trip - long transfers to be avoided. At this stage he just wants resort ideas for him to investigate.

How about Les Houches, Chamrousse, Megeve, La Clusaz?

What are the chances, tactics for getting accommodation?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pay for the whole week now or book last minute

BTW - I wouldn't put Megeve in the niche/off the beaten track bracket - it's not really my scene but its a "even the lap dogs wear fur coats" kind of place.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my little off the beaten track French resort? Chance nil. Being off the Beaten Brit Track doesn't mean it's off the French radar. I'd be reluctant to go to any French hotel which needs to take a few days booking in advance for that week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Indeed, @jedster. Megeve is a premier French resort, and expensive.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rent a car - stay somewhere like Sallanches or Bourg D'Ois or BSM and be prepared to commute. Guess Briancon is big enough it "might" have options.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A bit off piste here Layne, but Esprit pretty much always have late availability in half term and usually for 1 adult, 1 child or infant. It may be worth looking at booking a return flight midweek and then holding out for the last minute deals.

Yes of course it would be 'paying for a week' and only using a portion of it, as well as paying for the extra cost of non TO return travel, but it's an option.

I think I was seeing 1 adult, 1 child at ski-in/out in 1850 in Courchevel for about £800.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did exactly the same in St Gervais a few years ago. We went through booking.com (our first experience of them), and booked Mon to Fri half board during half term, double room, with additional single bed. Typical 2-3 star family owned French hotel just off the village centre. Good food, hospitable hosts, £600 for three. It did what it said on the tin, and worked really well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chamcham wrote:
We did exactly the same in St Gervais a few years ago. We went through booking.com (our first experience of them), and booked Mon to Fri half board during half term, double room, with additional single bed. Typical 2-3 star family owned French hotel just off the village centre. Good food, hospitable hosts, £600 for three. It did what it said on the tin, and worked really well.

Did you book that well in advance or last minute?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ansta1 wrote:
A bit off piste here Layne, but Esprit pretty much always have late availability in half term and usually for 1 adult, 1 child or infant. It may be worth looking at booking a return flight midweek and then holding out for the last minute deals.

Yes of course it would be 'paying for a week' and only using a portion of it, as well as paying for the extra cost of non TO return travel, but it's an option.

I think I was seeing 1 adult, 1 child at ski-in/out in 1850 in Courchevel for about £800.

That had crossed my mind. Not sure if the guy wants to do a weekend or mid-week tbh. Will mention this option.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.hotelbernard.org/ in St Jean de Maurienne or
http://www.gite-lemarintan.com/ in St Michel de Maurienne and
commute to some of the many small resorts in the
http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/ski/ Maurienne valley.

Done this several times and it works really well. But you have to be happy with a 30-45 minute drive each way every day.

Or get a cuppa and have a browse through this brochure:
http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1442566235_GuideNeige_2015-BD.pdf
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
Chamcham wrote:

Did you book that well in advance or last minute?

It was in advance - the point of it was to get cheap(er) 1/2 term flights by travelling Mon/Fri, so we bought them several months ahead, and booked the hotel at the same time. We hired a car at GVA (see the other thread regarding caution with that at the moment), and there was free parking on certain levels of the multi storey in the town centre, only 100-200m away. This was the hotel:
http://www.chaletlamaisonblanche.com/index_en.htm
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamrousse is the local hill for Grenoble, there are buses running up there every day from the bus station. With a car you could stay somehere closer like St Martin d'Heres and drive every day with the added benefit of having Ikea on your doorstep Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne, By the way, St G is not ski in ski out. There's a regular bus service from the town square to the lift, which takes 5-10 mins, then there's a short bubble into the ski area. You can ski down to the lift base station in good conditions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't help with accommodation tactics but would recommend St Gervais for your friends skiing and using-the-language needs. It's a proper French town, quite attractive, which shares the same modest (but enough for a short break) ski area as Megeve.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^^^ agreed.
Eating on the StG side of the mountain is much cheaper than on the Megeve side
snow report
St G is a good option. If it is difficult to find accommodation then you could consider looking in Le Fayet or Sallanches down in the valley and driving up every day (would also give you the option of parking in Combloux or Les Contamines both on the same area pass
ski holidays
@Layne, I did exactly this for a client last HT week - for various reasons they could only do a long weekend (3 or 4 nights); I had a couple of options in the end, and they booked Plagne 1800, ski in/out, with pool etc. Not a package so your friend would need to be happy organising travel (can do transfers to suit their own flights though). Drop me a PM if you like
snow report
Could try staying in Grenoble (I suppose Grenoble airport is a short transfer, even though it is not really near Grenoble) or Crolles and skiing in Les Sept Laux
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Rent a car - stay somewhere like Sallanches or Bourg D'Ois or BSM and be prepared to commute. Guess Briancon is big enough it "might" have options.

This. We stayed in the Ibis in Sallanches at Easter - it's 30 minutes drive to the gondola in Les Carroz.
ski holidays
Be aware that there are only flights to Grenoble at weekends now. Lyon isn't that much further though.
latest report
Cheers all, I've given him a summary of the options.

Hopefully he'll let me know how he gets on.
latest report
@agw,
Quote:

recommend St Gervais for your friends skiing and using-the-language needs. It's a proper French town, quite attractive, which shares the same modest (but enough for a short break) ski area as Megeve.

I skied Evasion Mont Blanc area in March. I went with the assumption it would be a modest area but left very impressed at the variety offered by 445km of piste, which I found kept me entertained for 7 full days, and not leisurely cruising either. Don't tell everyone though.
snow report
As @intermediate says, the Mont Blanc Evasion area is hardly modest. If 445kms is "modest" what does "sizeable" look like? Laughing
latest report
However, whilst I like St Gervais very much, it's not likely to be easy to get a hotel for a few days over that busy period.

Sallanches is a good idea. There are now two Ibis hotels, one is a new "Ibis budget", which would be a good-value place to stay with a car to access different ski areas - but probably worth booking well in advance at that period.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy