Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seeking comments on new Family ski course idea

Poster: A snowHead
my ski school is considering offering some new courses and I was hoping to get some ideas or comments on the format . Hopefully this won't be seen as spam or advertising.. Just trying to get ideas and gauge opinion.

Summer Family Sessions at Hemel. during the school holidays there are loads of all day clinics, races, race training on a Monday night, race academy day camps, etc. for under 16's on offer at the SnowCentre but the parents end up hanging around all day drinking coffee while the kids are out having fun on the slope.

We are thinking we could run a day clinic with the kids with one coach and the adults with a separate coach. Each group doing very different things (kids training more focussed on fun and adults more technical) but taking breaks at the same time and perhaps having a few little fun competitions... All participants would need to be able to ski on the main slope at Hemel unassisted and the kids (7-16) needing be be blue run skiers minimum standard and stronger >16's able to join in with adults.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 25-05-16 14:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm... my kids are no problem a 4/5 on the InOut scale, but <7 years.
Plus what would you do with a L10 skier for a day in HH?
Good idea in principal though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
Hopefully this won't be seen as spam or advertising.. Just trying to get ideas and gauge opinion.

Is that what happened to the post in Bend Ze Knees? Puzzled Puzzled Or did I really just imagine a reading a post about an ISIA course? snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Richard_Sideways, thanks, perhaps we could be flexible on the ages as long as the parents are on the slope and accompany the children off slope at all times.. let me think about that .. Min requirement would probably be a 5 on our scale.. We are thinking more of the little ripper types who are bored with ski school.

you would be surprised at what we can do with strong skiers at Hemel Toofy Grin ( I used to be the head coach for U12's at the HSRC and have at least 6 go onto national teams and FIS, we train instructors there as well at that level)

@Gaza, Yeah that post got pulled as I had a link and looked to the mods to be advertising... Although we are offering the course to our Pro Dev clients we at IOS have no financial link to the IASI L1 course...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Horrible things. Horrible, horrible things.

(Still fun, though)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Maireadoconnor, I usually was quite gentle with you after your little whoopsie snowHead Now that you are all healed up I do have a few ideas though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skimottaret, Great idea in principle - cost would have to be looked at closely, as would numbers

I know at tamworth, most of the parents watching can't ski / can't ski too well / have another young child who can't ski yet so that would restrict numbers.

Me myself id jump at the chance.

Having themed weeks - say one freestyle, one racing would be good and Id definitely go for the parents vs kids competitions that would be a right laugh!! Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PaulC1984, Price could be a problem for this idea as it would require two coaches min and kids lift pass is roughly the same price as adults.. We would of course look to make it as attractive as possible but for reference our typical full day courses on a summer weekend are £119. Ski race camps for kids run by various academies for are typically £85 for the day and attract big numbers so can keep the price reasonable...

We would defo look to make it as fun as possible and messing around in courses, learning 360's etc would be on the agenda.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
are you sure you and rob are up to 360's, can we throw in the kicker at the same time Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not in the air dear boy, hurts too much when you crash ! Will leave that to the bendy 19 year old coaches Wink Was thinking of showing people how to do 360's on the deck and maybe skiing switch or jumping 180's would be cool. I did do one clinic using the kickers and everyone managed to get some decent airs. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pass the travel sickness pills!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My 7 year old is already v competitive with me...."Could you keep up with me that time Daddy?" type questions etc so competitions kids v Adults could be good.

Personally with my daughter (age 7 easily Level 5 and myself level 7/Cool, this could be a fun Summer thing for us both.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TallGuyUK, hmmm will have to look at age requirements at the centre....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
@Maireadoconnor, I usually was quite gentle with you after your little whoopsie snowHead Now that you are all healed up I do have a few ideas though Toofy Grin

Looking forward to it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have been looking further into this and think we could run these Family Clinics on Saturdays at Hemel. Half day of coaching with a separate coach for the kids (7-16) and for adults and over 16's. Format would be half day coaching 10-1:30 with a coffee break for video review and a full day lift pass so you can ski after lunch as a family. Minimum standard would be 5 on our scale for the kids and 6 for adults. Price points around:

£349.00 family 2 +3 kids
£299.00 family 2 +2 kids
£249.00 2 Adults +1 kid
£229.00 1 Adult +2 kids
£179.00 1 Adult +1 kid

£119.00 additional adults & Juniors >16
£50.00 additional <16 kids
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Skiing gates . . . switch . . . yer not level 10 till you're ambidextrous Twisted Evil
ski holidays
What size of class would these max out at and why are Adults/Juniors more than kids per pax - is it down to what you pay the instructor for the respective levels or the lift pass or both?
snow conditions
@ster haven't decided on max class size but leaning towards 8 adults and 6 children. No significant difference in lift pass cost we just wanted to make it good value for families. The kids are a bit of a loss leader snowHead
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
@TallGuyUK, hmmm will have to look at age requirements at the centre....
She is already good for the snow strs they do on weekends there - but only does it once every couple of months due to journey length
snow report
@TallGuyUK, We looked into this and will take 7 and up, but all children must be accompanied on/off the slope with an adult. min standard a 5 on our scale... Would a family session be of interest?

Also we are thinking Saturdays but may consider a midweek session during the half term breaks but the centre is quite busy at those times so not too sure...
snow conditions
Don't just have kids v parent comps/challenges try doing mixed dual slalom/challenge courses with ability levels mixed and min 4 per team.

Lowest std could have easier course with item/s to pick up and tiny jump, stop between two points, better could have a really tough course with bigger jump and need to go back up to go round a gate. Just tailor the difficulty to the std of skiers that week. Back when I was doing this stuff it always went down well.

If they are family groups maybe mix/join the classes for short periods and maybe have the better skiers do a demo first and others have to follow as precise as possible. This can work for lower std doing a demo, after all many good skiers rarely do snowplough etc. A variation on this is to have them comment on a demo. You can even have a coach do something wrong on a demo and they have to say what it was.
ski holidays
@speed098, all good ideas, we probably won't be setting many courses for these sessions but may be able to do some combi courses, jumps, etc...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy