Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talk to me about Solden: its not totally like blackpool is it???

Poster: A snowHead
The past few years weve been to st anton at New Year, however nailbiting run-ins the past two years (2015 started dumping the day we arrived, this year pretty average skiing) has led us to look for a bit more altitude this year. We've skiied a week at ischgl and liked it, but wouldnt mind trying somewhere different. I reckon Solden looks decent, but it seems like people think its a bit seedy (not sure what this is based on, having driven through in summer it looks pretty standard for a ski town bar other than a couple of strip bars)?

Is this true, or is it in the st anton/ischgl apres mould??

Also, if the snow is decent how do people rate the off piste there (e.g. the wasserkar area on gailaschkogel??). Appreciate all the usual caveats about early season apply here... Like a bit of challenge and the terrain in the arlberg (the albona area in particular) is the stuff of dreams, just dont want another repeat of the conditions this year in the arlberg and figure a couple of glaciers might help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Solden's Ok. Lively nightlife like Ischgl. Couple of lap dancing bars but not tacky. Skiing fairly similar. Snowsure, lots of motorway runs. It's not a particularly pretty town though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hollando, Sölden is OK, but to your point about wanting more altitude; if there's no snow on the Arlberg then there's almost certainly no snow anywhere, regardless of high it is. Admittedly Sölden has a glacier as fallback, but if there's no snow lower down then the glacier will be completely overrun, so best to just retire to the bar in that case.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wrote a report about Soelden a few years ago http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2275058&highlight=solden#2275058. I thought it was a pretty positive report, but some people didn't like it. It is the last holiday report I will write.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just re-read that thread, @johnE. Most feedback on your trip report was positive so don't hesitate to post another. you had the temerity to suggest that you encountered long pushy bargy cues (whereas the Creed says only the French misbehave in lift queues). and you said there were some pleasant, helpful and friendly workers in French resorts. Tut Tut. Laughing So you got it in the neck from those who dish out the Party Line. Don't be downhearted. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
first post...long time lurker though.
we've been to Solden for the last two Christmases. Despite the Tyrol suffering from lack of some both times, more than 100km of the 150km was available, including the valley runs on both sides.

Solden seems to catch the October/November autumn storms, giving it a good start and has pretty extensive snowmaking meaning they can get lots of territory up and running early season. Even though it pretty much hadn't snowed for a month by the time of each of the last two xmases, we had a great time.

Can't talk much for apres (we are a family with primary age children), or off-piste. Wouldn't say it was seedy (and there is some very nice accommodation, although generally self-catering).

Also for a few Euros you can extend the pass to Obergurgl for the day (just remember that whilst Solden lifts open at 8am, Obergurgl opens at 9am - we didn't realise!)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think Solden has trams...... Toofy Grin

Welcome to snowHeads @ma94jcg snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the feedback guys, particularly on the town itself. Not sure the arberg is always best snowwise, if its a snowier december then yes of course it is but at NY just gone we took a couple of daytrips to ischgl during our week in st anton and the snow was significantly better both in terms of quality and extent of coverage... obviously everyone hopes this year wont be a repeat of that, but I think perhaps end of jan is a safer bet for decent snow in the arlberg? Feel free to shout me down on that though, like I said we've been there xmas/ny a few times in epic conditions but it feels a bit more variable than other places.

Anyone got any views on the off piste side of things r.e. solden/obergurgl??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only time I've been anywhere near Solden was in late March 2014. We were on our way to Obergurgl and the bus drove along the main drag in Solden. I gather this skiing up top is great, but despite the snow being excellent throughout Obergurgly the runs down into Solden were just brown skid marks. The town itself looked, from what I could see, like one of those utterly ghastly Benidorm-like resorts that you pass through on the way to on the way to your nice villa elsewhere and thank the Lord you aren't stopping. Others like the resort, but I think it's fair to say that first appearances are not that great.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Arlberg is one of the most snow sure place in the Alps IMHO! Like @Steilhang, says if they ain't got snow other places in Austria won't have much!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I think perhaps end of jan is a safer bet for decent snow in the arlberg?

that's true of just about anywhere in the Alps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hollando, Arlberg is about the snowiest region in the Alps, so if there isn't snow there, everywhere else will be struggling too! However Ischgl often holds snow better as much of it is north-facing, and they make much more of an effort to get man-made snow down early and get as many pistes open as early in the season as possible. For example most resorts leave the snow from big October storms to melt or stay as it will, while Ischgl seem to make an effort to bash it down (at least on some pistes) to try and preserve it for the main season.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Done xmas there and a february ... Loved both times. .. Seems to be getting more expensive now though... Some good bars for the middle aged of us .. 😃😃😃
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We skiied last New Year at Solden and despite the prevalence of artificial low down, and lack of natural fresh snow it was very good. I'd say excellent up on the glaciers. Night life was what we wanted (some rowdy apres, some nice restaurants - OK our choice was poor one night, live gigs, some quiet nights in) our kids range from 14 to 19 and drag us oldies around with them.

Food on the mountain, compared to France,was very cheap and good value with it.
We skiied a day in Hochgurgl which was really nice and quiet.
Transfers at 90 minutes were a doddle.
We're Austria converts
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was there last week of Jan 2014, it was the most disappointing Austrian resort I have been to. We came across fighting, puking and pissing in the main streets, of course its just a tiny snapshot, but I wouldn't plan to go back.
snow report
@JimboS, you are talking shoite out of your own tiny twisted mind. I'm in Sölden several times each season including the WorldCupraceweekevrryOctober.ihaveneverexperiencedsuch behaviour. If it were so bad it would not be the Europeantrraining base for the USS team There is as much twaddle written here as anywhere else. The Gappies in some French resorts are way worse as well as more dangerous. Sorr y for the typos but as some on here know I have more important battles to fight right noe
latest report
@Samerberg Sue, When you say that @JimboS, is talking 'shoite' I'm not sure if you are accusing him of making those things up or just saying that they aren't representative -which is precisely what he acknowledged when he said 'it's just a tiny snapshot'. Either way, I think your comments are unwarranted.
snow report
@Samerberg Sue, Your attack is unacceptable and unwarranted, please retract and apologise.

I have no axe to grind against the place, this is what I saw, so would not return.
snow report
@JimboS, I can understand your ire, but I think that @Samerberg Sue has got other things on her plate ATM which are making the famously-grumpy and forthright @Samerberg Sue[/b] more grumpy and forthright than ever. For @Samerberg Sue's current health battle see Boris Bar thread.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the replies guys, didn't really intend to start an argument though! I'm sure from the variety of replies I've had that solden town is no worse than any other really, you see people who've taken it too far in most big resorts if you're unlucky.

Beginning to think that I'm leaning towards taking a punt on the arlberg again, as I'm thinking maybe solden's skiing is a bit cruisy for what I'm looking for.

I am however extremely tempted by the spring touring around the otztal, and I'm thinking that if I'm going to visit that area again (already skied obergurgl years ago and went to oetz in summer last year) then a march/april hut to hut could be the best excuse
latest report
It doesn't really look like Blackpool or that bad at all really!

Soelden.jpg
snow report
hollando wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys, didn't really intend to start an argument though! I'm sure from the variety of replies I've had that solden town is no worse than any other really, you see people who've taken it too far in most big resorts if you're unlucky.

Beginning to think that I'm leaning towards taking a punt on the arlberg again, as I'm thinking maybe solden's skiing is a bit cruisy for what I'm looking for.

I am however extremely tempted by the spring touring around the otztal, and I'm thinking that if I'm going to visit that area again (already skied obergurgl years ago and went to oetz in summer last year) then a march/april hut to hut could be the best excuse

If you're going touring, make sure you head for Vent (turn right off the Solden to Obergurgl road). A lovely, lovely small place that's the starting point for all sorts of ski touring adventures.

As for the main point of this thread, I saw a particularly unpleasant punch-up outside one of the bars involving Dutch people. Didn't affect my view of either Solden or the Netherlands and its people! Very Happy I like all three very much! Solden's skiing is superb and if you base yourself out of town, like I did, in a quiet hamlet, then you don't even have the busy road to worry about!
snow conditions
Spent some time at the similaun hut above vent and the ramolhaus above obergurgl in summer, the far end of the otztal does look brilliant for touring!

Like I said, when I drove through last summer I didnt think solden looked as bad as all that, which is why i was a bit surprised by comments in some previous threads about it, and thought id ask the question. Like I said, I think its the skiing side of things which is pushing me back towards st anton, accessible off piste if good snow and plenty of challenging pistes if not. I get the impression the terrain etc at solden is a bit more sedate
latest report
johnE wrote:
I wrote a report about Soelden a few years ago http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2275058&highlight=solden#2275058. I thought it was a pretty positive report, but some people didn't like it. It is the last holiday report I will write.

Just to say I concur with Pam - the vast majority liked it. Don't be so sensitive and give us more Very Happy Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
@Layne, +1. The more reports the better - even if certain people don't agree with them....
latest report
@AthersT, Even Blackpool looks quite good in the publicity photos: Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, there really needs to be a fishing emoticon

98df044557bf82ff2b2c9a1cb6bd60d1.png
snow report
Nowt wrong wi' Blackpool! The Tower Ballroom is fantastic.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Used to have good trips from Long Eaton to Blackpool.....I think we did....cannot remember
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@AthersT, Even Blackpool looks quite good in the publicity photos: Very Happy Very Happy

Hmmm, the Blackpool pisteurs don't seem to be doing a good job - that corderoy looks a bit wonky! wink
latest report
Blackpool, well as a relatively-local, it's what you make of it.

Sölden does have the sort of people on here who like "apres", but it's not like Val d'Isere with toffs shouting and vomiting at 03:00. I don't think any of that's much of an issue. If you're rich, the Central is right there, or there's the Aqua Dome down the valley. Go there and see for yourself.
ski holidays
Go to Lech.
ski holidays
Quote:
Go to Lech.

Because it's full of people like Whitegold rolling eyes .
snow conditions
Has it got worse recently? I thought it was a great place when I went, but admittedly that was a long time ago.
snow conditions
There's a servere lack of "kiss me quick" hats and donkeys in Sölden, which is a shame.
ski holidays
We stayed in Hochsolden which was very nice - some nice apre ski bars up there and didn't need to go into Solden if you didn't really want to. The skiing is good although we found some of the lifts a bit crowded (stayed in March 2008). I love Obergurgl and Hochgurgl more though - one of my favourites and close to Solden and would rather go there than Solden.
snow conditions
late to this, but I was there with JimboS and his report of pissing/fighting/vomiting in street was entirely accurate. Unlike Jim tho. all of us bar Jim returned in 2015. We have subsequently decided against a subsequent return tho as we came to the conclusion that it wasn't as good as Maryrhofen for us middle aged middle class boys. So we went to Selva which we loved for the skiing but found a bit sleepy. So back to da Hoff!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy