Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2016/2017 (Cold Front May 7th Snow Sunday)

Poster: A snowHead
Some theorizing Toofy Grin

*Stuben skiing is gonna be more crowded (duh)
*Zürs skiing is gonna be more crowded (duh)
*Zürs restaurants are gonna be crowded (lunch has always been problematic in Zürs (many old school hotels with full board guests...yes they still do exist), and now many St.Antonians will be looking for lunch in Zürs as well!)
*Madlochbahn: has always been busy around lunchtime; interesting to see what is going to happen. Might very well be quieter, due to spreading of skiers: Lechers going to St.Anton instead of the Weisse Ring, returning to the Madlochbahn later in the day, and St.Antonians refraining from going on the Madlochbahn as it might be too far for many to do the Lech-circuit.
*On the other hand: many more skiërs doing the Madlochbahn just to do the Madloch-Zürserseepiste (12), quickly discovering it is no good at all Toofy Grin Toofy Grin (apart from the powder)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is not really gping to increase numbers.

Numbers are dictated by beds & daytrippers which will remain roughly the same.

Lech folk rarely ski beyond Zurs.

Madlochbahn is going to be upgraded soon.

Folks on the lifts allday is great for us who like to ski
Very Happy Very Happy

Personaly i dont get why anyone books a ski holiday in St Anton one of the most challenging areas in the world would spend allday on tbe lifts to go to Warth/Schrocken.

The other way round i can understand!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Lech folk rarely ski beyond Zurs.
True up till now...but the new lift will definitely change this (mind you, it will be much easier getting from Lech village towards St.Anton village than the other way round)

Quote:

Madlochbahn is going to be upgraded soon.
Might be, but not this coming season....And a quad or six seater on Madloch...would that be a good thing for the Madloch-abfahrt...don't think so. I've heard quite serious rumours about a lift from Zug up to Madloch.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If Madlochbahn is upgraded then they'll need to upgrade the Zug lift?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The way I see it is the Weise Ring will get busier as St Antonyms now find it easier to get over do it and return. Stuben will only get busier if Lecherous are prepared to slum it and there will be a partial offset of the Antonyms who now hop on the gondy rather than continue down.

Zuers - who cares? The least physically appealing luxury resort town on the planet with skiing that is really not all that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes
Zürs might not be very pretty (yet still no Flaine or Les Menuires), but the Zürsertäli (10), Trittkopf (6,7) and Seekopf (14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ) pistes are some of the loveliest in the whole Arlberg.
And as the stunningly beautiful Rüfikopfpiste 38 and the classic Madloch should actually also be counted as "Zürs". Or actually it does make more sense to see Lech and Zürs as a whole.
Saying that the Zürs-skiing is "really not all that" makes me wonder about what you do fancy in the Arlberg at all.
Maybe your fancy is mostly with St.Anton, which is fine. But the Lech/Zürs guests dare to differ....

By the way, when I visited St.Anton in 1992 for the first time, it was a charming Austrian village. When I pass St.Anton these days, I'm appalled about the added ugliness since then. (the pilons and the station of the Galzigbahn, the trainstation, the ugly kitschy or too modern hotels). Same goes for St.Christoph. The views around St.Anton have definitely deteriorated
The difference with Lech is striking, which hasn't changed a bit, whilst being more succesfull.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, @Langerzug, Interesting isn't it how we all like different things? I am really looking forward to exploring more of Zurs once the new lifts open from Rauz next winter. I'm normally heading home and not doing it justice, some great stuff on both sides of the road, and unexplored offpiste for us. Lech I'm less bothered about, too many Bogner-ites for my liking, but again some great skiing, albeit pistes are very well groomed and generally empty apart from Lech/ Oberlech about 11.30-13.00 when all the glitterati are making way up for lunch! St Anton, ie Gampen/ Valluga/ Galzig/ St Christoph/ Rendl/ Stuben has it all, fantastic off piste too. I also really like the glass/ steel lifts/ train station structures but don't like the trendy modern buildings like Arlmont hotel at Nasserein and the like which look pretty naff imo. I much prefer a traditional sloping roof chalet style hotel building.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Langerzug wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes
Zürs might not be very pretty (yet still no Flaine or Les Menuires), but the Zürsertäli (10), Trittkopf (6,7) and Seekopf (14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ) pistes are some of the loveliest in the whole Arlberg.
And as the stunningly beautiful Rüfikopfpiste 38 and the classic Madloch should actually also be counted as "Zürs". Or actually it does make more sense to see Lech and Zürs as a whole.
Saying that the Zürs-skiing is "really not all that" makes me wonder about what you do fancy in the Arlberg at all.
Maybe your fancy is mostly with St.Anton, which is fine. But the Lech/Zürs guests dare to differ....

Piste 10 - long tedious pole along a road , 12 - flat. 11 - flat hike round lake to get to rickety Madlochjochbahn 6&7 Icy. On at least 4 separate trips I have yet to ski 38 when it wasn't flat light or whited out. I'll give you 33 and especiallly the 32 variant for holding nice cold snow. Lovely for walking in summer - just a bit of a moonscape in winter. Lech I get, Zug I get, pretty villages. Zuers - I can only assume the 5* hotels have some sort of Teutonic Sauna Swinging Scene going on for the attraction.

I'd like to check out 37 sometime if there is some decent offpiste off the Rufi col but having hiked down that way once fear it might end up a lot cat tracky. & I'm sure there is good stuff off the Trittkopf side if the snow is good. Problem is if you come from St Anton and the snow is good you usually don't get as far as Zuers so there is sample bias too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Must be the sample bias Toofy Grin
Making Piste 10 a "long tedious pole along a road" is really a bit laughable (sorry). It is common Arlberg-knowledge that the 10 is the prettiest and nicest piste of the complete area. And in fact the poling at the end is not really necessary also.
And trying to get from the 11 (best snow and best carving piste in the Arlberg) to the Madlochbahn is a beginners-mistake. Coming from Seekopf>Muggengrat you first do the 11, then the Muggengratbahn for the second time, then Zürsertäli (10) and then you return to Madlochbahn to head for lunch in Lech/Oberlech Cool

Hope you'll be having more sun this coming 5th time Very Happy

The 37 is groomed nowadays 99% of the time (the other 1% it is closed) The status is mentioned at the Rüfi valleystation
It is an excellent piste. The first part (before the Schafalp lift) is an splendid red piste, very fast and with excellent snow.
The ride with the lift is verry pretty. And then you get to the steepest piste of Austria. You will not want to do that with deeppowder. But it is an excellent experience as piste.
No worries about cat tracks, no poling here, except at the very end close to the Schlosskopfbahn.
NehNeh )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can you access 37 by dropping off the backside (avy conditions permitting)? I hiked Rufispitze in summer but can't remember how sketchy/goat path it was traversing and dropping into that bowl from the Col. I tend to think if you can hike it you can ski it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No, you can't hike it either. It is a completely vertical wall, sheer rock, hundreds of meters high
From the topstation you can follow the track of the cablecar into the bowl underneath it, and head straight for the top station of the Schafalplift (this was the normal route before this lift was constructed).
But it would be a pity as the first part of the Langerzug descent is very good as well
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wouldn't want to hike it, let alone ski it! You can hike the face above the nursery slopes below Schafalp, but again you wouldn't want to ski it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm thinking more in the direction the hiking path goes off to elevation 2192 then traverses - that bowl if you drop in from the East is no steeper than from the top of the Schafalplift? admittedly 4 years since I hiked that trail

http://www.lechzuers.com/hiking-map
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were on the Rüfikopf viewingplatform and walked a bit in the direction of Rüfispitze summer 2015. There are no paths at the Rüfi north side, just too steep (many shields with warnings)
You can hike from Rüfi -traverse- towards Wöster, which is facing the Rüfi-northside. From the Wöster side you can return into the bowl in which also Langerzug (37) is ending, also in winter.

@Sitter, is talking about the Schwarzwand, the vertical directly visible above Lech-village. That's not what we are talking about here. But there actually is a skiable route on the Schwarzwand
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just found a picture of the Rüfi north side, seen from Wöster:

http://www.hikr.org/gallery/photo618530.html?post_id=41456#1
latest report
If you only ski the pistes in Zurs you have not skied Zurs. It has some of the best lift accessed Off Piste (little bit of hiking) in the Arlberg.

Planned New Lifts (Lech,Zug,Zurs)

Planned Madlochbahn

Details not available

Planned: Schlosskopfbahn
8pers. Gondola
Length: 1414 m · Carrying capacity/hour: 2400

Replacement lift: 2pers. Chairlift (fixed-grip)

Planned: Zugerbergbahn
8pers. Gondola lift
Length: 1460 m · Carrying capacity/hour: 2400
Manufacturer: Doppelmayr

Replacement lift: 2pers. Chairlift (fixed-grip)

@Langerzug, I've heard quite serious rumours about a lift from Zug up to Madloch.....

That is not happening anytime soon.
latest report
@stanton,
The new lifts in Lech you are mentioning are "on the list" already for many many years, and publicised for many years as well here and there on the Net.
You are really not bringing any news here. The Schlosskopf problems are well known: landowners. Or did you hear any recent developments?
Would also love to hear your knowledge/sources about the coming Madlochbahn and your declining of my rumour about it....
But I do expect some things to happen on short term. They clearly had some other projects on their mind in Lech these last years: Auenfeldjet, Flexenbahn, Bergbahn Oberlech, Zug-Golf course. With these projects completed, the Lecher will have time and space for new things.
For sure something will happen with the Zugerbergbahn, and probably the Madloch. I know for a fact that also a better piste-connection from the Lech skiing area to Zug is planned. Apart from this, a new lift on the essential Schlegelkopf is also to be expected.
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
@stanton,
The new lifts in Lech you are mentioning are "on the list" already for many many years, and publicised for many years as well here and there on the Net.
You are really not bringing any news here.

Chillout man!

For folks who may of not read last season or previous seasons reports it is worth repeating..

There are always disputes with the landowners but eventually get resolved (normally after years and plenty of cash incentives)

No New Lifts can be built in Austria unless plans already submitted 10+ years ago & constantly renewed.
Only lifts that can be built are on old trajectories & replacement of old lifts. Last time I looked in Bludenz land register/planning, I never seen plans submitted for Zug to Madloch.
( I could be wrong or overlooked).

The next major Lift with completely new Trajectory (in West Arlberg/Bregenzwald)) will be the Dorfbahn Cable Car from Schrocken upto Falken.

snow report
@stanton,
Oh dear, now you're adding the Schröcken connection....talking about old news. This image is from 2013!!
And as is mentioned in the image: Schröcken needs 500 more hotelbeds to make the lift economically viable....... Ever been to Schröcken? Would not expect 500 beds soon......There are deserted hotels in Schröcken....

And: I'm quite convinced the coming 4 completely new Flexen/Trittkopf/Albona lifts were not on the table 10 years ago.....

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 12-08-16 11:55; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Langerzug, Its great to have a snowhead who actually knows these places , carry on with the good advice.

Its good to get first hand reports not rehashed twitter/news articles especially if they are 3 years old.
snow report
@Langerzug, Yes it is old but again it is info for folks who may not know. There making a start with the beds just up the road..

http://www.vol.at/bergdorf-im-bergdorf-neue-chalets-am-arlberg-geplant/4646324

The connection to Zurs has been around for years in some way or form. There maybe special circumstances for the Flexenbahn Transit lift as it is replacing the transit buses & the Trittkopfbahn.

There has been a masterplan for Stuben for many many years expect more to happen there.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:

By the way, when I visited St.Anton in 1992 for the first time, it was a charming Austrian village. When I pass St.Anton these days, I'm appalled about the added ugliness since then. (the pilons and the station of the Galzigbahn, the trainstation, the ugly kitschy or too modern hotels). Same goes for St.Christoph. The views around St.Anton have definitely deteriorated
The difference with Lech is striking, which hasn't changed a bit, whilst being more succesfull.....

Your going to love one of the NEW hotels in St Anton this season then , LOL !!

Right across the street from the Train Station. I have seen the architect impressions.

I will let you do a search!

http://www.andinohotel.at
snow conditions
The new Flexenbahn will eliminate the Flexenpass Bussride between Alpe Rauz & Zurs.

http://youtube.com/v/i0ERqxePmSE

http://youtube.com/v/viupuCStpcE
ski holidays
It should be strictly forbidden that drone-pilots choose their own background music Toofy Grin
snow report
Brilliant video...... Must do one of these for our pylon referburbisment at Yad Mos Toofy Grin
ski holidays
They have around 3.5 months to complete this project. I think they are cutting it a bit fine especially if the snow comes early !
latest report
Building in ski-resorts is always about cutting fine.
Once the pilons are standing and the fundaments of the stations are in place the toughest part of the job has been done
ski holidays
I have never seen fundament used in its correct context, only @masques version.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, As far as I know they have only just started on the AlbonaII Mountain Station.
snow report
@stanton the videos don't work any more. Haven't been able to see the videos Confused
latest report
@menno2707, If you post the links into google it should open them
snow conditions
So the video still works with you? They are listed as deleted by user, if I try to open the link Idea Neutral
ski holidays
Deleted....looks like the bosses weren't too happy with the background music either Toofy Grin
snow report
@menno2707, no doesn't work anymore, perhaps infringed some copyright or something?
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@menno2707, no doesn't work anymore, perhaps infringed some copyright or something?

Oh well some folks saw it Happy
latest report
Some Artist impressions of the new Schlegelkopf Restaurant in Lech

https://www.facebook.com/RudAlpe/photos/pcb.1251605264849601/1251603008183160/?type=3&theater
snow conditions
Oh dear.
Shopping centre architecture.....on the hill Sad
snow report
Must say I'm a bit worried as well about this restaurant. Lech used to be rather restrained with respect to modern architecture. This suggests things are changing.
Moreover, this style appears to be more suitable to a Swiss glacier than an Austrian alm at 1800 m, which the Schlegelkopf is.
Let's hope the real thing is gonna be more subtle than the artist impression...
snow report
Ditto. I am also not a fan of the new Gampen restaurant. Feels like a food court in a shopping mall.
ski holidays
There also building something more traditional on the hil in Lech for this season

http://www.derwolf.ski
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy