Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2016/2017 (Cold Front May 7th Snow Sunday)

Poster: A snowHead
Small reminder: the Dutch prince was skiing with a well know local guide, and in "reasonably protected off-piste" (only just outside the Liezen tour)...
He did not have an airbag though.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic news about the weather, me and the missus always go to St Anton on the 2nd week of the year and it never lets us down. Last year it snowed almost every day, we love skiing in the deep winter. Arriving on Sunday for a week and can't wait to get there, looking forward to the après in the Heustadl and moose, and the Murmell bar with Gunar.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tomorrow is expected to be sunny and pretty damn cold.

The snow at the weekend is now forecast to amount to not very much.

However, a bit of dust everyday next week will mount up the base Very Happy

We really need this dump to settle & another good 0.5M+ dump to set us up for the rest of the sesson
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/xbCvp7tR8Tc
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,

Heading down for my first time in St Anton starting the 14th, staying in Pettneu. We will rent a car in Munich and drive down. Right now the Arlbergpass and Flexenpass have a snow chain requirement. Does anyone know if these passes are usually cleared quickly (chain requirement lifted), or should I buy/rent chains in Munich? Europcar wants €90 for a set for the week... Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went down larches and bachseite and there's half a metre in places.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is -9c in Lech valley at lunch today.

Amazing what a sprinkle of white dust can do to lift spirits...

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A short clip from Franz from his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/alloffpiste/videos/1205479622861245/

Very nasty looking slab on the Albona at the moment, if you did ski it it would be horrible and it will likely be a weak layer when new snow falls on top. This is nothing unusual really, it's an early season snow pattern. Dangerous, and now you know it's there it's worth remembering.

The lawinenwarndienst for Tyrol have started emailing out daily reports now (usually they start in December but with the lack of natural snow there was no need...). Be sure to read those before you go off piste! (see them online and sign up for emails at https://lawine.tirol.gv.at/en/home/overview/)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@db3469, I'd not worry, driving to Pettneu and St Anton doesn't need a trip over the passes. Once their leave your car and use bus/ lifts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1. Chains are obligatory to have in your car in winter
2. You might need chains even within villages or provincial roads, not only on passes.
3. Counting on roads to be cleaned fast is a very silly thought

@Markymark29, strange advise you are giving Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@db3469, if your driving from Munich on the Autobahn via Salzburg, Innsbruck dont worry about chains.

Even if you do the short cut over the FernPaß there rarely needed. German cars are compulsory fitted with winter tyres during the winter.

Once in Pettneu park up & use the free busses.

Random Alcohol Control is frequent on the highways between St Anton - Landeck & St Anton - Bludenz.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Whitegold, You stop for lunch isn't Breakfast enough how can you slide after so much food? Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kelskii, Dont give away all the secret stashes!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
Tomorrow is expected to be sunny and pretty damn cold.

The snow at the weekend is now forecast to amount to not very much.

However, a bit of dust everyday next week will mount up the base Very Happy

We really need this dump to settle & another good 0.5M+ dump to set us up for the rest of the sesson

Probably best to get that 50 cm's in increments. But does look a far sight better out there than it did just a week ago.

No doubt some ignorant folk will find trouble...seems to always happen after a stretch with little snow fall and then the big dumps come. Take your chill pills when you get there so that powder fever doesn't over come good judgement.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I will definitely sticking to the pistes next week although I have seen an avalanche travel over a piste in the past (not in St Anton though)....
snow report
So how much snow has the area received in the last couple of days? Heading to Lech at some point in January but have delayed booking anything as of yet (currently in Ireland on holiday from Australia).
snow report
@Cubanpete, I was in the Arlberg last week and Lech was barren aside from some man-made pistes (sheet of ice and strewn with stones). Zurs was a bit better on the north side and St. Anton was best, albeit all man-made. Sounds like they've received 50cm in town and 80cm up top in the past few days. Skiing should be much better but they'll need a few more weeks of steady snow to open everything off-piste.

Still, it's the Arlberg, just go!
ski holidays
@ArlbergMeister, We got officially about 50cms on Galzig, what I predicted not a massive dump by no means. Germany got more !

latest report
@stanton,
50 cm within 12 hours definitely is massive.
You are sick, really. Really!
ski holidays
@Langerzug, 50cms is nothing up high. That will get tracked out and flattened tomorrow!.. When we get 50cms in town then we are talking!! Very Happy
latest report
stanton wrote:
@Langerzug, 50cms is nothing up high. That will get tracked out and flattened tomorrow!.. When we get 50cms in town then we are talking!! Very Happy

Agree. When it's 50cm in the valley then get excited. Smile
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
1. Chains are obligatory to have in your car in winter
2. You might need chains even within villages or provincial roads, not only on passes.
3. Counting on roads to be cleaned fast is a very silly thought

@Markymark29, strange advise you are giving Puzzled

Chains are not obligatory to have in your car in winter in Austria.
ski holidays
sah wrote:

Agree. When it's 50cm in the valley then get excited. Smile

Yeah..Then we can look forward to a bit of this:D

http://youtube.com/v/w5C6X5SSeBE
snow report
@Langerzug, instead of coming on here snd calling me sick & other things.

Do a bit of research before posting.

Snow Chains are not compulsory equipment for cars.

Let us know what the langlauf track is like in Oberlech? Very Happy

Anyone is welcome here but snorkel snowsporters & Bier drinkers get priority Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
The snow chains thing has been discussed before, I *think* Clarky (who used to drive over the Arlbergpass every few days through summer and winter) said they are worth carrying when it's snowing unless you are 100% sure you can cope with just winter tyres.

Personally I've not used chains in years, modern winter tyres are fantastic and I've driven through some pretty horrible snow/slush/ice combinations and never felt the need for them.

Agree with Mark, if staying in Pettneu I'd use the bus to get to skiing. Might use the car to go shopping, or *maybe* to drive up to the Flexenpass on a powder day to get some fresh turns in Zurs while the locals are fighting their way up from St Anton.
latest report
@downhillalltheway, yes, he's a k***, clueless.
snow conditions
Looking like another big hit is possible mid-week next week...

Cams look pretty ...er... pretty this morning Smile
latest report
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Off tomorrow yeeehaa
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Off tomorrow yeeehaa

wrap up warm - weather centre in Innsbruck are forecasting "dangerously cold in the mountains" Shock
snow report
Will the Auenfeldjet and the new one from Zurs be opening soon ?
ski holidays
Just been looking at Warth, all open including Auenfeldjet, great work by the lifties and piste prep teams, super-excited!! YEEHAA Keep getting photos and texts from mates in St Anton, bad for your well-being all this..... Toofy Grin @sah, Now just need to find my inner gloves!
snow conditions
@erica2004, Open today, all Warth open. It goes from Lech not Zurs btw!
ski holidays
Sonnenkopf is open and its possible to ski down to the valley.

Rendl. Riffl 2 open

Higher lifts in St Anton & Zurs closed as expected.
ski holidays
snow report
@Markymark29, Ta. Yeah, I meant the new Zurs one over to the top of Alpe Rauz too.
snow conditions
@erica2004, Yeah, that's awesome over the new Flexenbahn lift, was there at Xmas/ NY and it was super icy over there, looking forward to doing that in powder now.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

Beautiful!

Now getting SUPER excited, especially as it looks like the Arlberg's in for a load more snow before next weekend. Happy days. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
sah wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Off tomorrow yeeehaa

wrap up warm - weather centre in Innsbruck are forecasting "dangerously cold in the mountains" Shock

Yeah I'd looked ahead at the temps and I'm well prepared
snow report
Just been out and bought new gloves - no time for cold fingers!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy